• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A single cosmetic pack in Diablo IV will be $28

diffusionx

Gold Member
Offer a solution, everyone is pointing out the problem that I totally agree with, What is the solution for a game like Diablo 4 to continuously make money.

By far the most honest and fair way to continuously make money in a game is the WoW model, where people pay continuously for a service. If you can't do that, and you can only continuously make money by hiring shrinks to figure out ways to turn gamers into addicts, then you are a scumbag company, that simple.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
maybe these exploitative cash grabs designed by psychologists to land whales shouldn't exist
Exploitative? None of these things keep you from kicking the crap out of monsters. If these affected character performance then i would agree. But looking cool to show off lol no sympathy for that.

GHG

Offer a solution, everyone is pointing out the problem that I totally agree with, What is the solution for a game like Diablo 4 to continuously make money.

What the fuck happened to just being an excellent game and selling a shit ton of copies over a long period of time due to its "must play" status?

Jesus, I can't believe what I read here in defence of this crap sometimes.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Wildly absurd and totally not shocking. I am assuming though, that you can buy these individually and that not all pieces are priced equally. In a game where I was mixing and matching transmogs from different item groups, it seems more appropriate to save the rage for individual transmog options.

What the fuck happened to just being an excellent game and selling a shit ton of copies over a long period of time due to its "must play" status?

You think it is a smarter business move to continually restart the development cycle than to support - as long as possible - a finished product?

Wait, so they raised the prices for their cosmetics by more than 400%, am I reading that right?

. . .or, in a game that's ostensibly titled "DEVIL", $6.66 was an inside gag as the ingame shop was finished but still needed a temporary price.

Last edited:

Muay Ninja

Maybe I'm old, but my view is that Diablo shouldn't be spun up like some GAAS game.

Things like this effect the games balance/loot system.

Not if it is only a cosmetic and not in the loot pool it doesn't.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Exploitative? None of these things keep you from kicking the crap out of monsters. If these affected character performance then i would agree. But looking cool to show off lol no sympathy for that.
these are the same sorts of arguments that gambling companies use to get people in the door or to download the app. Look, if this stuff didn't work then they wouldn't be doing this. If they didn't get people hooked on the basis of "this stuff is all optional just dont get it lmao" then they wouldnt set it up this way.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Nah, i get what he means. Its not about the affecte, its about making something look cool that some people would want, put a price tag on it and say “you can buy this, but only for a limited time!” And suddenly the FOMO sets in and the “whales” buy up what they can (this also applies to the completionists)

Its the same strategy that games like halo infinite and CoD ploy

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

What happened was games started selling cosmetics and people bought them and devs made more money this way and now that genie is out of the bottle

I know I am one of those whales but I just don't get the outrage of having a cosmetics store

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
i was likely going to be in for the battlepass, but thinking about it, I’m sure they are going to have stuff for every class in each pass which means likely 80% of the stuff I won’t be using for weeks or months until I create another character class. Makes me not want to do it now.

L*][*N*K

Banned

It’s 2023, get with the program.

GHG

You think it is a smarter business move to continually restart the development cycle than to support - as long as possible - a finished product?

And yet there are plenty of highly successful games and highly successful companies that do exactly that.

Do you want to have the best gaming experience possible or do you want the executives to make as much money as possible?

Hmm... Considering we are on a gaming forum that is supposed to be full of hobbyists I'm sure thats a tough question.

It’s 2023, get with the program.

This is the best defence I've read yet. Well done.

Last edited:

Raven77

The people shouting, "just don't get it", are the ones who JUST DON'T GET IT.

All of these items could have been awesome armor sets and weapons that you could find in the game, that you already paid full price for. Instead, most of the best and coolest looking stuff is going to be reserved for the money-shop.

NOW do you get it?

Dr_Ifto

I dont understand the outrage. I missed the part where you are being forced to buy it. FFXIV had a literal whale mount for 30 bucks, for the whale customers to buy. Let people do what they want with money. Its not a lootbox, you know what you are buying.

Gandih42

I don't agree with the idea that "cosmetics only" is the same as "does not affect gameplay". Most people care about how their character looks in any game and part of what makes loot feel rewarding and exciting is how it looks. We need some level of visual feedback from the game so it's not just an abstract Matrix screen of numbers, symbols, and code.

That being said, its not equivalent to saying that you could never "morally" sell cosmetics as microtransactions (though I wouldn't exactly call the proposed price here "micro"). Especially for stuff that is F2P. For me the problem with this kind of stuff in a full-priced game is that it incentivizes developers to put the coolest and most rewarding skins behind the paywall. You could argue that they only make those specific skins after-the-fact and they would not exist without the GaaS model to begin with. Which is certainly true in some cases. But I think it'd be naive to think that management would be hesitant to pull stuff intended for the "base" game across the paywall. That's why I think we should be conscious of monetization like this, even when it doesn't affect our own experience much.

Eh, I think this sucks. But this is not for me, so I'm happy for everyone who's getting a long term next-gen Diablo experience.

Skifi28

I dont understand the outrage. I missed the part where you are being forced to buy it. FFXIV had a literal whale mount for 30 bucks, for the whale customers to buy. Let people do what they want with money. Its not a lootbox, you know what you are buying.
Cool stuff that could have been in-game rewards are being reserved for a real cash shop. You are paying 80 euros and they still take stuff away so they can sell it to you seperately.

Then again, "you are not being forced to buy them" so it's cool.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
And yet there are plenty of highly successful games and highly successful companies that do exactly that.

Name one publically traded gaming company that hasn't been forced to pivot to developing GaaS games. Gaming is no different than ANY multimedia company that has shareholders to answer to and all of these companies have been forced into that pivot. GaaS games are to games as Cinematic Universes are to movie studios - this era of one-and-doneing cultural products is over.

Do you want to have the best gaming experience possible or do you want the executives to make as much money as possible?

The "best gaming experience possible" (for a gamer) is incompatible with the needs of the publisher; we've never gotten the best, we've gotten compromises. Very often these compromises produce critically acclaimed games that offer great experiences for the consumer; this looks to be the case here.

Hmm... Considering we are on a gaming forum that is supposed to be full of hobbyists I'm sure thats a tough question.

. . .nah, I just think you have unrealistic expectations on where (AAA) gaming can go.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I mean how much do you want it to be for not having to actually play to get it? how many hours of gameplay = $?

You have to charge enough to not piss off the people who play to gain the same thing.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Angry Harrison Ford GIF

Dont buy it. That fucking simple

The problem are the Youtubers retards, that they will buy this.

Skifi28

I mean how much do you want it to be for not having to actually play to get it? how many hours of gameplay = $?

You have to charge enough to not piss off the people who play to gain the same thing.
They can charge as much as they want for the whales that want to skip the game. My issue is when stuff is locked behind the cash store and can't be earned though playing the game.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
"I'm one of the whales buying this stuff and I just don't get the outrage"

mindblown-jake.gif
It is what it is

If I see something that looks cool enough I will buy it

In the end what does it really matter if you don't want to buy stuff then don't?

I have seen a lot of really cool looking skins that drop in the game and personally I don't want to run the same boss 200 times hoping he drops a helmet

These practices could be stopped, but even if desired... There will always be people buying this... Especially Youtubers.
I am no Youtuber but do agree those content creators buy everything for them its you know, content

MMaRsu

Banned
The people shouting, "just don't get it", are the ones who JUST DON'T GET IT.

All of these items could have been awesome armor sets and weapons that you could find in the game, that you already paid full price for. Instead, most of the best and coolest looking stuff is going to be reserved for the money-shop.

NOW do you get it?

But you dont need to buy it hurr durr i r stupid

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Why would you buy cosmetics in Diablo? Can’t you see your equipped armor on your character? Part of that feeling of progression is seeing your character look more and more badass as they get better and better armor.

I will not be playing this shit... first time I miss a diablo release in more than 20 years....
Nowadays we have games like Path of Exile and Last Epoch around, so paying 70 dollars just to have the "right" to pay for more shit in a game that doesn't even look like a great updated of it's predecessor(diablo 3) is the dumbest thing a gamer can do.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
IF there's seasonal content with new stuff to do/explore/loot for free THEN having a cosmetic shop is ok to me. See Path of Exile.

Puscifer

Easiest solution: DON'T BUY ANY OF IT.

I wont.
This advice hasn't worked since Horse Armor. Linustechtips even mentioned in a video there's no point in complaining about the pricing of PC components anymore since even with his influence people keeping buying over components he himself doesn't even buy.

Top Bottom