• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A sealed copy of The Legend of Zelda just sold for nearly a million dollars

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Worth it. They probably are too rich too care and this is actually a badass collector item.
nah it's an investment.
same like investing in art

people don't spend 2M on a painting because they like how it looks
just a smart thing to do with your cash

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
wonder who is buying shit like this?
People don't buy this for preservation, but just for speculation.

It's been a while retrogaming is become just speculation. These are not gamers. These are the guy who made speculations on comic books, then trading cards, then sneakers, now videogames.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Really? I use my sealed copy to hold up a floating shelf that's tipping forward
I do need to replace that shelf.🤔

JORMBO

Darkness no more
What game can I buy new today, have graded and sealed in some fancy case and sell for tons 20 years from now?

tusharngf

giphy.gif

870k !!

FunkMiller

Gold Member
No, but I am a fan of collectibles and can understand why people spend big money on them.

There’s being a fan of collectibles (I have far too many Batman Hot Toys figures) and then there’s spaffing an absolute fortune up the wall for a single game cartridge. It’s not black or white.

Banjo64

cumsessed
This is stupid. In any way anyone's going to spin it.

If I'm going to throw away $870k, I'd rather give them to a few families who need that kind of money.

Invest in your community. Not some stupid "rare collector's item".
For all you know the rich mother fucker who bought this could also be the most charitable mother fucker you’ll ever meet. Guy could be spending millions on charitable causes.

anthony2690

Banned
Looks like Mario 64 now holds the record. Link doesn't show the price but it went for $1,560,000.00.

I actually feel like this is BS, or they are massively grossly inflating prices, I know full well there is a few people with sealed copies of mario 64 graded, in absolutely beautiful condition in the UK, in the GGG FB group alone, and even then I doubt they would even be able shift them for 5% of this price...

Or is there something magical about the USA version that makes it more valuable?

Looks like Mario 64 now holds the record. Link doesn't show the price but it went for $1,560,000.00.

WATA graded games has little to do with regular video game collecting. It's just speculation.
I think spending $1.5 million on a Mario 64 sealed is crazy too. It was one of the most produced games on the N64 even getting multiple print runs under the Player's Choice version.
And I hope people investing in this stuff realize that by the time N64 started to roll into NA these games were being speculated upon. There's a reason WATA does no population reports on these collectibles.
I know someone who has a factory sealed case of GoldenEye on N64 for instance and there's multiple pieces of anecdotal evidence that the same thing happened for almost every other game!
FFS Tim Atwood is sitting on sealed boxes of Stadium events and other games going back to the NES and this was common info back in 2016.
But there's always a lag to these markets as people who own this stuff realize or act on how much it is now worth and try to get it graded/sold.
There's a reason the card grading companies have 2+ year backlogs and it's only going to get worst until the multiple markets correct.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
How do they grade these? Since they are sealed I assume they don’t break the seal. What if someone opened this game up, popped in a copy of Quest 64, reshrink wrapped it and sold it for 1.5 mill?

alf717

I'm curious as well how they grade them. Is WATA some new standard didn't a "VGA" group exist? I should get a Mega Man 64 graded and rake in the big bucks. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm curious as well how they grade them. Is WATA some new standard didn't a "VGA" group exist? I should get a Mega Man 64 graded and rake in the big bucks. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

WATA came onto the scene and decided they were the authority with grading. They said they had hired many "experts" but a lot of collectors knew more than their experts in 2018(?) when they were formed.
Look at some of the PAT the NES Punk videos from then on WATA. He knew way more than anyone they hired but they still were a catalyst for the huge increase in prices of games. They basically created the market.
The so called "Left Bros" 1st print of Super Mario 3 on NES, The "sticker seal" black box games. Nobody gave a fuck about any of this stuff until Wata said it was valuable and collectors then agreed!

Top Bottom