• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

a real bigot sandwich

Javthusiast

Banned
kate-upton-burger.gif

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
...It's not?

That's what being an adult and using reasoning and common sense is lol

I know it's rare against the toddler mentality of the TikTok generation, but forgive and forget use to be a common saying...

I don't believe anyone just forgives words that easily. If someone's boss has been verbally abusing his employee for months and just one day decided to apologize, I still don't think he's going to get over it immediately.

Depending on what was said and how long it was done, letting go of the resentment can take a long time.

Keihart

So you will forgive someone hours after a heated exchange?

That's not believable at all. lol
I strongly disagree with the notion that Ellie calling it a Bigot Sandwich was meant to be relatable and make Ellie look good, the story makes way too many efforts to highlight how destructive Ellie's behavior is and is even commented on by several characters like Joel, Tommy's wife and Dina.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I was planning on making a steak and cheese sandwich for dinner tonight, what a coincidence. Only I plan on shaving the steak thin and eating it on toasted brioche bread.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
So you want to imply that The last of us is like a street food?

With Gravity rush, it's like dining in France at a fancy restaurant.

That whole exchange with the sandwich was so cringe-worthy I almost stopped playing right then and there. Guy does something nice and tries to apologize for stupid things he said while drunk but in true sjw fashion he's is not forgiven and called a bigot instead.
Yes because everyone immediately forgives someone. You must have little life experience.

Nobody else had a problem with the old man in the game. It’s not like everyone was in pitchforks calling for his head. She didn’t feel like forgiving the bigot at the time. She eventually will or wont.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I strongly disagree with the notion that Ellie calling it a Bigot Sandwich was meant to be relatable and make Ellie look good, the story makes way too many efforts to highlight how destructive Ellie's behavior is and is even commented on by several characters like Joel, Tommy's wife and Dina.

I think the game tries to humanize characters in the story of The Last of Us Part II.

People think Seth is just the "bigot" of The Last of Us, but the letter in the cabin explains how he made it to Jackson. He lost his Wife and Son in Reno and his two other sons probably starved to death while they were waiting for help.

I think every bit of dialog, text, etc. has a purpose and they want the player to think about how they feel towards specific characters in the game.

Boss Mog

It's hard to believe someone will easily forgive another person if they're in ND threads complaining about SJW stuff all the time. That makes me believe you don't let stuff go that easily.
This.

I don't even get how one legit almost stops playing a fucking video game cause such a scene yet is out here trying to convince us of how forgiving they are.

17c.png
You guys aren't very logical. The reason that moment stuck out so much for me and I disliked it was precisely because she wouldn't forgive him, which is the opposite of what I would do. Especially when you have to live with, work with, or see certain people on a daily basis it makes sense to patch things up quick so things don't become uncomfortable, especially if they make the effort to apologize first. At the time I played this there were many stories of cancelling celebrities for a twitter post they made like a decade ago and even when they apologized and said they had changed since then, the mob wouldn't forgive them. That moment in the game really paralleled that and since it happens very early in the game I was afraid the game was going to be littered with that kind of mentality which I don't want to be subjected to during my hobby, but thankfully it wasn't that bad, my issues with TLOU2 have more to do with story and pacing than sjw stuff. Also I probably made like 6 or 7 posts about ND games in like my 8 years here so you sound ridiculous and somewhat like a creepy stalker.

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Ellie is a flawed character that is revengeful and don't easily forgive whatever the consequences. That's the whole point of the story, she's not painted as righteous.
Abby is the same, they're the two sides of the same coin and it's 100% intentional.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
I think the game tries to humanize characters in the story of The Last of Us Part II.

People think Seth is just the "bigot" of The Last of Us, but the letter in the cabin explains how he made it to Jackson. He lost his Wife and Son in Reno and his two other sons probably starved to death while they were waiting for help.

I think every bit of dialog, text, etc. has a purpose and they want the player to think about how they feel towards specific characters in the game.

You always try to make it sound like TLOU2 is some masterpiece when it comes to writing, which is just silly, the entire plot and characters are just shit. Naughty Dog wanted a white old man to be a bigot, so they added one. Big whoop.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You guys aren't very logical. The reason that moment stuck out so much for me and I disliked it was precisely because she wouldn't forgive him, which is the opposite of what I would do. Especially when you have to live with, work with, or see certain people on a daily basis it makes sense to patch things up quick so things don't become uncomfortable, especially if they make the effort to apologize first. At the time I played this there were many stories of cancelling celebrities for a twitter post they made like a decade ago and even when they apologized and said they had changed since then, the mob wouldn't forgive them. That moment in the game really paralleled that and since it happens very early in the game I was afraid the game was going to be littered with that kind of mentality which I don't want to be subjected to during my hobby, but thankfully it wasn't that bad, my issues with TLOU2 have more to do with story and pacing than sjw stuff. Also I probably made like 6 or 7 posts about ND games in like my 8 years here so you sound ridiculous and somewhat like a creepy stalker.
It's not stalking when I see you in many ND threads.

Everyone is not quick to forgive, especially something that happened within the past 24-hours. So no, I don't believe that people don't hold any sort of resentment whatsoever.

Two main reasons why people don't forgive so easily is because their words were either very hurtful or they don't believe their apology was sincere enough. This is why trust is involved and that actually takes time.

BigBooper

Everyone is not quick to forgive, especially something that happened within the past 24-hours. So no, I don't believe that people don't hold any sort of resentment whatsoever.

Two main reasons why people don't forgive so easily is because their words were either very hurtful or they don't believe their apology was sincere enough. This is why trust is involved and that actually takes time.
I think different people have a different understanding of forgiveness. I'm very quick to forgive if someone seems truly apologetic. By forgiving, I'm accepting that they made a mistake and we should attempt to move on and be friendly in whatever context is appropriate.

If they abused my trust, then I would know not to trust them in that way again. That doesn't mean I didn't forgive them.

EDMIX

You guys aren't very logical.

Nahhhh I disagree greatly, I'd argue the most logical thing any one should ever assume on such a situation is that humans be mad, humans will say bad things. It takes a lot to turn the other cheek for a reason, its the harder thing to do and more unexpected.

I disliked it was precisely because she wouldn't forgive him, which is the opposite of what I would do

And? Fuck does that have to do with anything? Sooooooooo I'm not a 19 year old gay girl in the post apocalypse and or made up of pixels. I never played this game for that...its fake, I'm playing based on how that character is choosing to address those things and even if I disagree, its accepted because this isn't a fucking make your own RPG speech wheel, create a character type game. Ellie is her OWN CHARACETER and I think DForce DForce said it best as the game is about humanizing characters. For better or worse, she does things I'm sure many of us don't agree with...but humans fucking do shit we don't generally agree with all the time, they game was never made to be some carbon copy of what the fuck BOSS MOG would do or EDMIX would do, the character is a set character. They will do what the fuck they want as its not a game about perfect people.

No different then the film Thirteen, or Bully, or American History X etc. Its simply about humans being humans, its not about some moral bullshit about what you'd do as a some perfect forgiving person

there were many stories of cancelling celebrities

the mob wouldn't forgive them.
Yet you out here being triggered over a video game, yet don't understand maybe...just maybe you have something in common with that "mob"? =)
you sound ridiculous and somewhat like a creepy stalker.
I see....yet sir, we are to believe in real life you'd have no issue with such comments and would forgive, yet on a fucking video game thread, you are getting this fucking triggered?

Boss Hog, practice what you preach, you can't be here really trying to force this idea that you are this forgiving peaceful person, yet calling people stalkers that don't agree with you, being angry at pixels cause they are not clones of you and then really want us to by that in real life if someone made those comments to your girl friend that you'd just be 100% down to forgive.

You in tears over a fucking video game thread Boss, I'm having a hard time believing in real life you letting that go, if on here you are upset cause someone disagrees with a video game story.

BigBooper BigBooper Agreed, I think ultimately all people will have different levels of what they are willing to forgive or not. I'm her demographic to know if I'd 100% react that way and all I can do is maybe make it apply to my demographic, so if this person calls me the N-word, I just don't see me forgiving THE NEXT DAY lol One can't demand someone to be mad, one can't demand someone to forgive. The story makes sense based on what they want those characters to be and any of us forgiving or not even shows its based on how we each are and if we are about that turn the other cheek life lol This is simply a game about a person that for the most part, wasn't about that life until the very end. I love the drama and think its more likely on how humans behave then anything as we see folks at like this today in society, they'd be worse once you have no law or something, but I digress. Topic for another day

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I think different people have a different understanding of forgiveness. I'm very quick to forgive if someone seems truly apologetic. By forgiving, I'm accepting that they made a mistake and we should attempt to move on and be friendly in whatever context is appropriate.

If they abused my trust, then I would know not to trust them in that way again. That doesn't mean I didn't forgive them.
The point I'm trying to make is that I don't believe the notion that they're just "words" and that people just automatically move on just because someone apologized.

That's just not believable at all.

If a man was arguing with his wife and then said, "You're being unreasonable just like your mother. That's why your father talked out on your family." do you think she's just going to automatically move on just because they're just "words"? She might accept his apology, but it's going to take her some time to actually forgive him.

Azurro

Banned

Nah, BS. It's because that's the standard commentary of what SJWs want people to do to someone that misbehaved: cancel and never forgive. The writing is just so cringe at times.

Boss Mog

Nahhhh I disagree greatly, I'd argue the most logical thing any one should ever assume on such a situation is that humans be mad, humans will say bad things. It takes a lot to turn the other cheek for a reason, its the harder thing to do and more unexpected.

And? Fuck does that have to do with anything? Sooooooooo I'm not a 19 year old gay girl in the post apocalypse and or made up of pixels. I never played this game for that...its fake, I'm playing based on how that character is choosing to address those things and even if I disagree, its accepted because this isn't a fucking make your own RPG speech wheel, create a character type game. Ellie is her OWN CHARACETER and I think DForce DForce said it best as the game is about humanizing characters. For better or worse, she does things I'm sure many of us don't agree with...but humans fucking do shit we don't generally agree with all the time, they game was never made to be some carbon copy of what the fuck BOSS MOG would do or EDMIX would do, the character is a set character. They will do what the fuck they want as its not a game about perfect people.

No different then the film Thirteen, or Bully, or American History X etc. Its simply about humans being humans, its not about some moral bullshit about what you'd do as a some perfect forgiving person

Yet you out here being triggered over a video game, yet don't understand maybe...just maybe you have something in common with that "mob"? =)

I see....yet sir, we are to believe in real life you'd have no issue with such comments and would forgive, yet on a fucking video game thread, you are getting this fucking triggered?

Boss Hog, practice what you preach, you can't be here really trying to force this idea that you are this forgiving peaceful person, yet calling people stalkers that don't agree with you, being angry at pixels cause they are not clones of you and then really want us to by that in real life if someone made those comments to your girl friend that you'd just be 100% down to forgive.

You in tears over a fucking video game thread Boss, I'm having a hard time believing in real life you letting that go, if on here you are upset cause someone disagrees with a video game story.

BigBooper BigBooper Agreed, I think ultimately all people will have different levels of what they are willing to forgive or not. I'm her demographic to know if I'd 100% react that way and all I can do is maybe make it apply to my demographic, so if this person calls me the N-word, I just don't see me forgiving THE NEXT DAY lol One can't demand someone to be mad, one can't demand someone to forgive. The story makes sense based on what they want those characters to be and any of us forgiving or not even shows its based on how we each are and if we are about that turn the other cheek life lol This is simply a game about a person that for the most part, wasn't about that life until the very end. I love the drama and think its more likely on how humans behave then anything as we see folks at like this today in society, they'd be worse once you have no law or something, but I digress. Topic for another day
You don't know what the word triggered means, the only one who seems triggered is you, judging by your tirades and sentence by sentence analysis.

I can't say I ever noticed you before today. I don't know how much life experience you have but if you actually interact with people on a daily basis you will occasionally get into arguments with them, be it an acquaintance, a co-worker, a family member, a friend, a girl-friend, a wife, etc... and harsh words may be exchanged. If you don't forgive these people when the apologize then I doubt you will have many relationships with others going forward.

EDMIX

Nah, BS. It's because that's the standard commentary of what SJWs want people to do to someone that misbehaved: cancel and never forgive. The writing is just so cringe at times.

Some people forgive, some people don't.

Nothing to do with SJW, pretty sure humans have been able to fucking decide how they behave before that whole thing bud. Breath, relax, calm down lol The fact that this thread is even showing a mixed bag of who would forgive and who wouldn't shows its simply subject to each person, some are like that, some are not, but thats human nature in general.

Shit I'd agree that its some odd agenda if her character apologized the next day. One could just argue "OH WOW soooo unrealistic and WOKE, so he calls her all those names and we are just to believe that she is so nice and virtuous that she apologizes like she is sooooo forgiving" Keep in mind, I'd even fucking agree with you as I don't really buy that they'd just apologize the next day. Humans can be forgiving, but generally they are just horrible creatures lol Its why turning the other cheek is hard, its why its seen as such a courageous and um "brave" thing as its the harder thing to do, its not the easiest.

I'm sure we both have things we will not forgive people for if pushed to our limits, lets relax on pretending that idea is some SJW invented thing. Not everything is a conspiracy.

Boss Mog Boss Mog ikr look how forgiving you are, you'd soooooo hug and kiss and forgive all mean pepz bro /s lol Take a breather Boss Hog, have a good one.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I can't say I ever noticed you before today. I don't know how much life experience you have but if you actually interact with people on a daily basis you will occasionally get into arguments with them, be it an acquaintance, a co-worker, a family member, a friend, a girl-friend, a wife, etc... and harsh words may be exchanged. If you don't forgive these people when the apologize then I doubt you will have many relationships with others going forward.

I have a lot of life experience and I know it's scenically proven that your claim is false. People can easily say they accept someone's apology, but that doesn't mean they don't hold any resentment.

What the act of apologizing can do is to help "heal those wounds", it doesn't automatically make people's feelings go away. That's nearly impossible in all situations.

If you believe people's emotions automatically switch after accepting or making an apology then I would question your interactions with people in general.

Accepting the apology is often the beginning process of forgiving someone, not the end.

Boss Mog

Nothing to do with SJW, pretty sure humans have been able to fucking decide how they behave before that whole thing bud. Breath, relax, calm down lol The fact that this thread is even showing a mixed bag of who would forgive and who wouldn't shows its simply subject to each person, some are like that, some are not, but thats human nature in general.

Shit I'd agree that its some odd agenda if her character apologized the next day. One could just argue "OH WOW soooo unrealistic and WOKE, so he calls her all those names and we are just to believe that she is so nice and virtuous that she apologizes like she is sooooo forgiving" Keep in mind, I'd even fucking agree with you as I don't really buy that they'd just apologize the next day. Humans can be forgiving, but generally they are just horrible creatures lol Its why turning the other cheek is hard, its why its seen as such a courageous and um "brave" thing as its the harder thing to do, its not the easiest.

I'm sure we both have things we will not forgive people for if pushed to our limits, lets relax on pretending that idea is some SJW invented thing. Not everything is a conspiracy.

Boss Mog Boss Mog ikr look how forgiving you are, you'd soooooo hug and kiss and forgive all mean pepz bro /s lol Take a breather Boss Hog, have a good one.
You're acting like I'd forgive anything which is completely ridiculous and definitely not the case. There are two important conditions in what we're discussing, one is that it's just words and two is that the person who said the words in question makes the first move to apologize, then yeah I will forgive them. I think most decent people would do the same thing.

Boss Mog

I have a lot of life experience and I know it's scenically proven that your claim is false. People can easily say they accept someone's apology, but that doesn't mean they don't hold any resentment.

What the act of apologizing can do is to help "heal those wounds", it doesn't automatically make people's feelings go away. That's nearly impossible in all situations.

If you believe people's emotions automatically switch after accepting or making an apology then I would question your interactions with people in general.

Accepting the apology is often the beginning process of forgiving someone, not the end.
Listen , my grandmother taught me when I was a little kid that "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me". That's just what I live by. Now people who commit violent crimes I have zero forgiveness for; those are the people I reserve my disdain and anger for.

Azurro

Banned

Look at this guy, telling people who wrote a couple of lines to relax while writing paragraph after paragraph of how triggered he is over the progressive lgbt game having its "honor" tainted. ;)

The game was just written by children, it's not a mystery and it isn't deep why they act the way they do.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You're acting like I'd forgive anything which is completely ridiculous and definitely not the case. There are two important conditions in what we're discussing, one is that it's just words and two is that the person who said the words in question makes the first move to apologize, then yeah I will forgive them. I think most decent people would do the same thing.

Listen , my grandmother taught me when I was a little kid that "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me". That's just what I live by.

Let's say you're married and your wife is verbally abusive towards you for years and one day she apologizes... You're telling me that you won't hold any resentment towards her?

As for interactions with people in general - If you one day decided to insult all your co-workers, do you think they're all going to forgive you if you apologize? I hear gossip among friends and co-workers and there have been many times where people accepted an apology and they're still angry towards the person.

Now people who commit violent crimes I have zero forgiveness for; those are the people I reserve my disdain and anger for.

As I said before, that is not believable. I used this game as an example because I discuss this game in several threads and you're often right there. Something attracts you to these threads to a point where you either have to express frustration towards the game. It's understandable that you were disappointed in this game, but if someone wants me to believe he can change his emotion towards someone after an apology but cannot do it for a game that was released a year ago is not believable at all.

TidusYuna

Never played the game, and the video doesn't make it any clearer. What did I miss here?
confused jeff bridges GIF

It has been years since I've played the game but if my memory serves me correctly, they find and old recipe book written by Paula Deen while on a supply run and decide to follow her sandwhich recipes. The sandwhich were absolutely delicious and were a hit at the ballroom dance. Everyone loved them bigot sandwiches. The sandwiches were soo delicious that Ellie and Joel got into a fight over the last remaining sandwich. I won't go much further, I don't want to spoil it for you.

535df9133983d1bd593358af

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Let's say you're married and your wife is verbally abusive towards you for years and one day she apologizes... You're telling me that you won't hold any resentment towards her?

As for interactions with people in general - If you one day decided to insult all your co-workers, do you think they're all going to forgive you if you apologize? I hear gossip among friends and co-workers and there have been many times where people accepted an apology and they're still angry towards the person.

As I said before, that is not believable. I used this game as an example because I discuss this game in several threads and you're often right there. Something attracts you to these threads to a point where you either have to express frustration towards the game. It's understandable that you were disappointed in this game, but if someone wants me to believe he can change his emotion towards someone after an apology but cannot do it for a game that was released a year ago is not believable at all.
-The game refers to 1 verbal outburst not years of abuse, so this point in completely irrelevant. But just to indulge you I've been subjected to what you would call prolonged verbal abuse before and it didn't phase me in the least.

-My comments are about how I'd react, not how others would react so again this is completely irrelevant. I would hope others would be willing to forgive me as i would forgive them but I don't presume to know that they would for sure or not.

-Your third point seems completely irrelevant to what you quoted but I'll try and address it the best I can. People commenting about or criticizing something doesn't mean they have disdain for it or that they're angry/triggered. Overall I enjoyed TLOU2 but for me it was a 7.5 to 8 tops game and not a 10 as so many people claim. I definitely enjoyed Uncharted 4, The Lost Legacy and the first TLOU more. TLOU2 is absolutely brilliant technically and in its presentation but pacing, story, and yes a little too much pushing of agendas all contribute to making it less than perfect overall for me. So yes, when I see the same people tripping over themselves to gush about the game, I like to say that I'm not totally on board because that's what a forum is about, people expressing various opinions. What's baffling is why somebody not enjoying something as much as you do offends you to the point that you need to go after them. I'm currently playing Hades, I like it a lot, but I'm sure some people here would not enjoy it that much, and yet I wouldn't pounce on them for expressing their opinions.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
-The game refers to 1 verbal outburst not years of abuse, so this point in completely irrelevant. But just to indulge you I've been subjected to what you would call prolonged verbal abuse before and it didn't phase me in the least.

I wasn't referring to the game. I made the perfectly clear.

I was talking about how you're saying, "they're just words". I told you it's unrealistic/unbelievable that someone will hold no resentment after agreeing to accept someone's apology.

-My comments are about how I'd react, not how others would react so again this is completely irrelevant. I would hope others would be willing to forgive me as i would forgive them but I don't presume to know that they would for sure or not.

You referenced real-world interactions with people. It's like you don't remember what you're saying.

-Your third point seems completely irrelevant to what you quoted but I'll try and address it the best I can. People commenting about or criticizing something doesn't mean they have disdain for it or that they're angry/triggered. Overall I enjoyed TLOU2 but for me it was a 7.5 to 8 tops game and not a 10 as so many people claim. I definitely enjoyed Uncharted 4, The Lost Legacy and the first TLOU more. TLOU2 is absolutely brilliant technically and in its presentation but pacing, story, and yes a little too much pushing of agendas all contribute to making it less than perfect overall for me. So yes, when I see the same people tripping over themselves to gush about the game, I like to say that I'm not totally on board because that's what a forum is about, people expressing various opinions. What's baffling is why somebody not enjoying something as much as you do offends you to the point that you need to go after them. I'm currently playing Hades, I like it a lot, but I'm sure some people here would not enjoy it that much, and yet I wouldn't pounce on them for expressing their opinions.
I don't care if people don't like the game. That's not my issue.

My issue is misinformation and constant complaining. The game flopped? The game is selling poorly? There's evidence to suggest otherwise. A year later and people are still in threads complaining about the same thing? Move on. I feel the same way towards people who spread misinformation about the PlayStation and that doesn't mean I care that they prefer other consoles, I just don't respect people who go out of their way to hate something that they don't like by spreading lies.

But that's not what this discussion is about.

I think it's unbelievable that someone will hold no resentment towards anyone just because someone apologized to them. This in fact over words, not physical harm (though words can cause people emotional pain, which in turn becomes physical).

We can agree to disagree.. I just believe there are words that can be said that can bother people well after someone apologizess to them.

Saber

Gold Member
DForce DForce is that you, Mr Druckmann? Why does it trigger you so much that people dislike the shit writing and shit characters in TLOU2?

I would suggest you guys to forget that. This guy(alongside a few others)was well know to offend and call people problematic over TLOU2 leaks thread. He aways acted like that when its about TLOU2 criticism.

Ulysses 31

A drunk person's words reflect how they really feel and it looks like he was only apologizing because Maria made him so I see why she wouldn't forgive him.
Yet Seth's the one taking the first step in trying to make up, genuinely or not, with something's that's probably valuable in that world. Ellie doesn't even try so she comes off as spiteful.

If the game gave us any clues that this wasn't the first time Seth messed up then Ellie's reaction would be more understandable.

Top Bottom