• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A poll for people orbiting around PSVR2...

Choose the closest that applies to you...

• I've never owned a VR set before. I likely won't buy PSVR2.

• I've never owned a VR set before. I'm interested in PSVR2.

• I've never owned a VR set before. I'll likely buy PSVR2.

• I've already jumped into the VR pool. I likely won't be buying PSVR2.

• I've already jumped into the VR pool. I'm interested in PSVR2.

• I've already jumped into the VR pool. I'll likely buy PSVR2.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I just wanted to get a rough estimate on how NeoGAF views Sonys PSVR2 in comparison to their first gen effort. Is interest growing, plateauing, or fading here?

psvr2.jpg

1280x720.jpg

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've tried VR, it just wasn't for me. PSVR2 looks cool, but I'll have to pass.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I have PS VR and I am satisfied, I quite like the accessory.

I will buy the PS VR 2, until 5 worthwhile titles come out, at least 2 of them are Resident evil.

tmlDan

Prior, i never had a PC capable of VR, now i do and all the head sets are relatively old.

This will be my first time jumping into VR so i'll def be buying the PSVR2.

Fredrik

Already jumped into VR, likely won’t buy PSVR2. But I could change my mind, they simply have to show me a good reason why I need another VR headset and why a cable through the living room isn’t going to annoy me.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
PSVR was my first real VR headset and I bought it late 2020.

VR is awesome and will be buying PSVR2 day one.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'll probably stay in the Quest ecosystem depending on their BC going into Quest 3 and 4. Very happy with the 2 so far.

I'll keep an eye on PSVR2 but it's likely too much for me to consider just for the exclusives. I still think most VR titles will be created with scalability with Quest in mind.

bender

What time is it?
I had PSVR. I really enjoyed my time with Rez, Polybius, Tetris Effect and Thumper but the experience was far to cumbersome for regular usage even if the headset itself was fairly comfortable. I'm probably going to pass on PSVR2 but I would have been there day one had they announced Alyx.

Pagusas

Elden Member
it being wired completely killed it for me, ill stick with the Quest 2. There was zero excuse for making this thing wired.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I'll probably stay in the Quest ecosystem depending on their BC going into Quest 3 and 4. Very happy with the 2 so far.

I'll keep an eye on PSVR2 but it's likely too much for me to consider just for the exclusives. I still think most VR titles will be created with scalability with Quest in mind.
Yeah that’s kinda my thinking as well. I have to say that I really hate to see exclusives in yet another segment of the market, but if things are good enough I know I won’t be able to stay away. VR can be absolutely mind-blowing when done well, regular gaming can never match it.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
theres plenty of reasons for it to be wired

https://www.howtogeek.com/780932/the-playstation-vr-2-isnt-wireless-and-thats-a-good-thing/

the Quest 2 simply won't compare to the PSVR2 experience
It'll definitely have better graphics, but most other stuff I think will be very comparable. Horizon looks very similar to The Climb 2 + many VR bow games. I think they're going to be more similar than people expect honestly. The devices look extremely similar as well in terms of the controllers. It's going to come down to graphics being a lot better on PSVR2.

Romulus

You VR heads that have only used PSVR1 are in for a treat. Upgrading from the Moves to modern VR controllers alone is like stepping from an Atari joystick to Dualshock 2. That's not even counting how many magnitudes better the tracking and visuals will be.

Last edited:
It'll definitely have better graphics, but most other stuff I think will be very comparable. Horizon looks very similar to The Climb 2 + many VR bow games. I think they're going to be more similar than people expect honestly. The devices look extremely similar as well in terms of the controllers. It's going to come down to graphics being a lot better on PSVR2.

I mean, the Quest just got Resident evil 4 which looks like the 2005 version of the game and PSVR2 is getting Resident evil 4 remake and Village in VR.

R6Rider

Gold Member
You VR heads that have only used PSVR1 are in for a treat. Upgrading from the Moves to modern VR controllers alone is like stepping from an Atari joystick to Dualshock 2. That's not even counting how many magnitudes better the tracking and visuals will be.
It will be an upgrade for sure in just about every way. I only say that because using the AIM controller is awesome and PSVR2 won't have that (unless they eventually do an AIM2). Granted, the AIM isn't used with that many games, but will be missed.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I mean, the Quest just got Resident evil 4 which looks like the 2005 version of the game and PSVR2 is getting Resident evil 4 remake and Village in VR.
I'm not disputing that the graphics are a lot better on PSVR2. Said it as clearly as I possibly could in those exact words.

But Quest has first person horror games also like Walking Dead and Lies Beneath. I'm saying the experience is going to probably be very comparable, aside from graphics. It looks like they're making similar styles of games with similar styles of control. I think aside from exclusives, almost all VR games will be made with scalability in mind for both systems.

88167348_178353573609310_1051641279504449536_n-630x355.jpg

walking-dead-saints-sinners-quest-now-available_feature.jpg

Fredrik

In theory PSVR2 won’t match Quest 2 streamed from a PC in graphics.
In theory!
But the problem with PC VR is that nobody is willing to invest in it for real, so the AAA push never happens. I think this is where PSVR2 could do good things, if Sony use their A teams this time and have a successful launch it could push the AAA VR industry forward on all VR platforms.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
In theory PSVR2 won’t match Quest 2 streamed from a PC in graphics.
In theory!
But the problem with PC VR is that nobody is willing to invest in it for real, so the AAA push never happens. I think this is where PSVR2 could do good things, if Sony use their A teams this time and have a successful launch it could push the AAA VR industry forward on all VR platforms.
It would be neat, but I'm skeptical it will ever happen with any real frequency.

AAA is barely being pushed forward on consoles, let alone the much smaller VR market. And I feel like a broken record, but I think people are naturally going to play VR for much shorter periods of time (30-45 minutes) and typically aren't going to be playing long single player games. Even Resident Evil 4 still makes me slightly queasy after 40 minutes of moving around quickly. I don't think people are looking to spend $70 on VR games. Most are $20, with the high end being $40, and they're short.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I tried it officially in 2020. I say officially because the first time was doing temp work at some office party years ago. I was just helping put the headset on, some mobile phone VR, can't remember what it was.

In 2020 I got PSVR. Was literally a game changer. And scared the shit out of me. I'm playing Astrobot demos...the first thing I experience is a floating bot right beside me. Didn't see it at first, just heard sounds. And I was standing in space.

Having those bots so close was weird. Played some more demos, finally tried a bigger game, RE7....2 years later and I still can't get off the menu screen.

I'm all in day 1. A better headset just means a better experience.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
theres plenty of reasons for it to be wired

https://www.howtogeek.com/780932/the-playstation-vr-2-isnt-wireless-and-thats-a-good-thing/

the Quest 2 simply won't compare to the PSVR2 experience

I only saw one reason in that article: cost. The fact the article claims the Quest 2 isn't wireless, then in the very next paragraph talks about airlink, is idiotic. It downplays its quality, even though the quality is absolutely excellent.

and this section:
It’s conceivable that a wireless module (via belt clip or headset mount) could be connected to the headset, providing the battery power and wireless hardware that’s currently missing. So don’t lament the lack of wireless connectivity in Sony’s next-generation headset. When the technology is ready, there’s still a way to make it a reality.
if that was going to be an option Sony would have talked about it on reveal.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Bought VR solely for HL: Alyx, and honestly I think that was the best VR experience I had. I dabbled in Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners, Gorn, Blade & Sorcery, and Beat Saber as well. I thought everything was really cool, but honestly I don't really care to buy another VR headset. Even if it's better than what I currently have. So I'll be skipping PSVR2.

I think VR is neat, but I still think and feel like it's pretty niche. The original sheen and newness of it all is really cool, and I highly recommend everyone try it once. But once that fades, it loses a lot of the coolness for just being VR. But if new games come out that look really good then it may make me put it back on.

I saw that they're making a sequel to Alyx, so, that already has my attention, lol.

I only saw one reason in that article: cost. The fact the article claims the Quest 2 isn't wireless, then in the very next paragraph talks about airlink, is idiotic. It downplays its quality, even though the quality is absolutely excellent.
so not zero reasons?

Pagusas

Elden Member
so not zero reasons?
Fair, but also not "plenty" of reasons. One, and given the current cost of the Quest 2, I doubt Sony will be coming in cheaper.

Just to be clear, the Moment Ace Combat 8 gets announced and has full PSVR Support (not the limited support as before), I'll buy one regardless.

Last edited:
I'm really excited by the technical aspects of PSVR2, all together wonderful technical package.

Now if only they'd make something in the Killzone universe for it.

Fbh

Never owned a VR headset (outside of that Galaxy S6 accessory that made my phone overheat after 5 minutes lol).
I'm interested in VR2 but I won't be jumping in at launch. I'll wait until it gets more games and until I'm sure both Sony and third parties will give it consistent support, also I'm not willing to pay more than $299 for it and I doubt it will be that low at launch.

Jada_Li

Banned
I have PSVR and like it and I am interested in PSVR2 and would get it but likely won't. I'm not about this rat race trying to get a PS5 so I'm not worried about it. But congratulations to those who do have a PS5 and those who will get PSVR2. I'm happy for you and will look forward to those who will upload their experiences for others, even though it's not the same as actually experiencing it for yourself. C'est la vie.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I got the revised PSVR set for like $200 and some games years back on Black Friday.
Absolutely worth it, and I'm looking forward to PSVR2.

I have a high end PC but don't want any of that Meta shit and the Index is neat but I think the PSVR had more and better games.

jm89

Got the PSVR a while back, only used it for a month cause the tracking always needed calibrating couldn't be asked anymore.

Was awesome when it worked though, I played astrobot, psvr worlds, until dawn rush of blood, resi 7 and a few boxing and table tennis games.

Interested in psvr2 but not a fan of the design, it has the same massive piece that rests on your forehead, shit was uncomfortable on the original after long usage.

Last edited:

BeardGawd

Banned
I'm extremely interested as this will likely be the most user friendly and offer more AAA support.

But the wire free Project Cambria with the passthrough AR looks pretty badass too.

This next year will be rrally ezciting for VR fans!

Sakura

I used to have the PSVR, but threw it out, and currently just have a Quest 2.
Nothing Sony is doing with the PSVR2 is particularly interesting to me, and I think they have stiffer competition in the VR space from PC headsets now than they did when the original PSVR came out.
Personally I'd rather wait for a Quest 3 or something.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Any time I put on my PSVR it always brought a smile to my face, the immersion is just a whole other level but the fucking set up and PS3 level graphics made it collect dust, the thought that I can just simply plug the PSVR2 in with a single cable and it comes with all the benefits of next gen VR tech coupled with those graphics we've seen on Horizon.. I'm day 1 preorder and taking the day off work to fuck around with it.

That Horizon trailer looks incredible, having fucked around with PSVR and knowing how those Dino's are gonna look in a proper 3D space along with that view distance.. yeah , I can't wait

PSVR was my first VR experience, will forever go down as some of the most memorable moments in gaming for me. The input method was very limited but it did the job.

With that said I never actually bought it (it's expensive as fuck here, despite being one of the cheapest, only the Oculus Quest makes sense at this point). My in-law has it so I use when I'm staying at my sister house.

PSVR2 seems refined enough and I really hope it will work on PC too that way it cover both my systems and it justifies it's price over the Quest. I'm really holding for the PSVR2 because the Quest is already very tempting at it's price.

Last edited:
I've had a very limited experience with a friends PSVR and fell in love with the immersion. The only thing that stopped me buying a PSVR the first time around was because of the low resolution and poor graphics. I'll definitely be preordering/buying a PSVR2.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

And to be fair, they stated PS5 RE4 Remake is getting "PSVR 2 Content", which we'll have to wait and see what that means.

Quest 2 is standalone, and gives you a pretty good experience at $299. However, you wouldn't expect to compare it to PSVR2 + PS5, you'd compare a Quest 2+PC to that setup.

Last edited:

Mahavastu

Never really experienced VR but will most likely get the PSVR2.
Especially if the old PSVR games still work. Sony gave out some for PS+ a few months ago

jaysius

Banned
It's hilarious that people are trying to compare Quest to this, Quest is $300 while PSVR2 is going to cost about $1000 or probably $1200. It's not apples to apples.

People are forgetting that the Quest stands ALONE and the PSVR 2 REQUIRES a PS5 to function at all which starts it at $500 or more, plus Sony isn't going to make the PSVR2 "bundles"(all things required to make it work) cheap.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
So what happens if: Quest 3 is $300 and PSVR is $500?
And then apple releases it's 8K VR with M2 built in for $600?

Top Bottom