• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A new #1 has risen to the top of the videogame podcast power rankings...

9U6lgpcvrI9Wj7PRwjPQI2976xQdBLRsSMm2T3n7rp8.gif
heheh
GIF by Angry Birds Movie

he unquestioned top 3, in descending order, are now...
So this is just your opinion and has nothing to do with how many listeners any of these podcasts have? Why not mention that in the thread title instead of talking about vague "power rankings?"

For a moment I thought Jaffe found a big audience, and now I'm kind of sad. We need more outspoken people who are still willing to listen to, consider, respect, and humanize opposing thought.

Kev Kev

most of them are woke, virtue signaling pussys, who suck at making content because theyve never listened to talk radio and they have no clue what theyre doing. they usually have zero production, low tier comedy and talentless hacks behind the microphones. the only one i can stand to listen to are these dorks called "video game outsiders" (i think???). they fall into most of the above category, except for the woke shit, so its at least listenable once ive finished up all my other podcasts episodes for the day/week.

SpokkX

Videogame podcasts are bad. They're bad because they frequently fall into one of two categories. The early access category, where hosts agree to like everything in an attempt to maintain early access with publishers. And the cheerleader category where one console is good and the other bad. The unquestioned top 3, in descending order, are now...

3. GamesBeat Decides - A relatively vanilla podcast where a reputable insider (Jeff Grubb) is willing to share the things he's heard with listeners.

2. Sacred Symbols - Colin Moriarty may say dumb stuff like "It's obvious Jade Raymond's (Haven) studio is making a cross generational game", but at least he spends half the time criticizing PlayStation.

1. GABBIN+GAMES - It finally happened. A one man podcast is hard to do, but David Jaffe has enough personality and willingness to stream his filterless consciousness on air. Plus, he takes live calls (a podcast rarity) and encourages people who disagree to come on the show. He has ascended. Mowing the lawn will never be the same.

yeah those three are good - for reasons already stated.

Kinda Funny, IGN etc all fall in the same trap - being to nice to publishers and only really saying the expected things

I like Digital Foundrys podcasts also

I like the CUpodcast and prefer that they piece out the video segments on Youtube throughout the week.
I don't understand how some people can watch the extremely long videos.

TechJunk

Jeff Cannata and Christian Spicer just celebrated episode 400 of DLC, the “spiritual successor” to Weekend Confirmed, as they say it.
Great podcast with a positive vibe. Might skew a little older? Always mature discussions, no crass.

I enjoy Colin and Jeff too. Watching PS1 Twisted Metal 2 stuff on YouTube and, all of a sudden, get recommended a stream by none other than the man himself. Had something like 35 viewers back then.

BigBooper

I prefer the ones that mostly talk about what they've been playing and joke around some. Player One Podcast is good a lot of the time for that. They may be talking about a new release, something from last year, or a game from 20 years ago.

That's really the only one that I still listen to kinda regularly. I like The Computer Games Show occasionally.

BigBooper

Jeff Cannata and Christian Spicer just celebrated episode 400 of DLC, the “spiritual successor” to Weekend Confirmed, as they say it.
Great podcast with a positive vibe. Might skew a little older? Always mature discussions, no crass.
I tried it for a while and felt like I was listening to a videogame QVC podcast. I liked Weekend Confirmed though. It felt a bit edgier.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I tried it for a while and felt like I was listening to a videogame QVC podcast. I liked Weekend Confirmed though. It felt a bit edgier.

I had the same impression. Jeff Cannata just likes everything. I'd rather listen to someone who criticizes everything so when the odd compliment comes up it's actually noteworthy.

Umbasaborne

Banned
First mention at top 3 is a famous Xbox nut licker… Colin makes the list because he spends more time talking shit about PlayStation.

I see you op.
Bro, not everyone lives, breathes, and eats console wars. Accept this and you’ll be less paranoid and you wont think everyone who says something nice about a toy you dont like, has an ulterior motive.

i used to listen to the ign podcasts, but they really are just marketing tools, really only saying nice things about their favorite companies, never crtiticizing. Also they have strict one hour or less time limits so the host is always rushing through it. I used to like them back when colin and greg were doing beyond togeather. Now they just say whatever publishers pay them to say.

i actually really like the new giant bombcast, since brad, vinny, and alex left there is somewhat of a renewed energy, and jeff g, jeff b, and danny really bounce well off of eachother. The old bombcast was great, but its been clear over the last two years that things, and their enthusiasm for doing the show was drying up.

that being said, next lander is pretty great! In hignsight its a good thing vinny, brad, and alex left to do their own thing, they are putting on a much better podcast for it, and their streams have been great. They have a renewed energy that reminds me of the early bombcast days.

i started listening to the arlo cast, its one of the better nintendo focused podcasts out there. Arlo has good comedic timing, he knows how to keep the convo flowing, and the guests have been great so far too.

the super best friend cast was one of the greats. I love what those guys do, but castle super beast never managed to reach the same heights. I mean yeah by the end of the original one you could tell they were getting sick of eachother, but liam and matt added alot to that podcast.

Last edited:
Okay, just listened to Gabbin and it is great, I wish there were more podcasts like this where people aren’t afraid to give their honest feedback. I’m so annoyed by people pulling punches because they are afraid of offending a developer.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Ohhhh Goodddddd another stealth Grubb suckoff thread.

This man's name makes me think of earth trodding worms and his face brings to mind swimming pools of butter and discarded pubic hair. I know he has credentials because he wrote for something or other, but Jesus, can't he go back to writing? So I don't have to see

"Insider (Jeff Grubbs) ate entire pizza. Says a reliable source tells him to watch for big piles of steaming feces in the next 12 hours," ?

Enjay

Banned
OP those podcasts are terrible. The best thing to happen to colin moriarty was getting shunned by the lames at pax. I seriously hope it is jaffe's alt account as that'd be less embarrassing than someone ending up a shill for david jaffe, thats like under the bottom of the barrell shit.

Top Bottom