• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A new #1 has risen to the top of the videogame podcast power rankings...

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Videogame podcasts are bad. They're bad because they frequently fall into one of two categories. The early access category, where hosts agree to like everything in an attempt to maintain early access with publishers. And the cheerleader category where one console is good and the other bad. The unquestioned top 3, in descending order, are now...

3. GamesBeat Decides - A relatively vanilla podcast where a reputable insider (Jeff Grubb) is willing to share the things he's heard with listeners.

2. Sacred Symbols - Colin Moriarty may say dumb stuff like "It's obvious Jade Raymond's (Haven) studio is making a cross generational game", but at least he spends half the time criticizing PlayStation.

1. GABBIN+GAMES - It finally happened. A one man podcast is hard to do, but David Jaffe has enough personality and willingness to stream his filterless consciousness on air. Plus, he takes live calls (a podcast rarity) and encourages people who disagree to come on the show. He has ascended. Mowing the lawn will never be the same.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
First mention at top 3 is a famous Xbox nut licker… Colin makes the list because he spends more time talking shit about PlayStation.

I see you op.

tenor.gif

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Is Jeff Grubb really that reputable of an insider? Doesn't he get a lot of things wrong?

"Insiders" are like hitters. No one bats 1.000, but his hit rate is still pretty good.

The issue he runs into is that he shifts between insider to regular person too casually. So he'll say something like "I think Metroid Prime IV will be revealed at Nintendos show" and the listener has to distinguish if that's gamer Jeff Grubb talking or insider Jeff Grubb talking. When he qualifies his statements as insider information, his hit rate is pretty solid.

He also ruffled some fanboy feathers by doing a couple things with XBox that made him enemy #1 for certain crazy people.

never heard of the first one. I always listen to Colins podcast. I've never really heard Jaffe other then when he was on Colins and it bored me to death.

i like GameScoop, i would like Podcast Unlocked if it didn't have Destin. I like Nintendo voice chat depending on who's there. I stopped listening to Beyond when they got thornbush and max always there. Its intolerable. I dont like MinMaxx anymore. Gamespot is pretty much dead. I still like Easy allies podcasts depending on my mood and the cast. Im not always in the mood for a weeb games, and souls games are the best circle jerk session

Great Hair

Banned

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For my taste I like EZA, they are fun and they critical without being overly negative about everything and they cover most of the games I like.

Sacred symbol is the worst of the last stand media podcast. I love Defining Duke because Matty and Lord Cognito are probably the best duo in gaming podcast. Anything on the iron lord network is pretty fire tbh. I won't listen to a Jaffe podcast. That man is unbearable.

Rockman33

I regularly listen to sacred symbols, gamescoop, unlocked, defining duke. Occasionally kind of funny or giant bomb. But those I think have gotten worse recently.

Bartski

Gold Member
Jaffe was great until he made getting high on camera part of his shtick which to me is cringe as fuck.

He also totally lost the plot defending Sony's cross-gen strategy, other than that he is a smart guy and I'm always there when he interviews industry people.

TexMex

2. Sacred Symbols - Colin Moriarty may say dumb stuff like "It's obvious Jade Raymond's (Haven) studio is making a cross generational game", but at least he spends half the time criticizing PlayStation.

What am I missing here? Is this a crazy assumption?

epicnemesis

I miss idle thumbs and the brodeo. Nothing has come close to those two in terms of friends shooting the shit and having really meaty video game discussions.

IKSTUGA

My top 3 game podcasts would probably be Sacred Symbols (PS), Defining Duke (XBOX) and Spawn Cast (Nintendo). EZA's Frame Trap is also pretty good.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
What am I missing here? Is this a crazy assumption?

Haven Studios formed in mid 2021. Games take anywhere between 3 - 5 years to make. Their debut game is most likely releasing in late 2024, or 2025.

There's no historical precedent that suggests Havens debut game will be playable on the PS4. The idea that it's "obvious" is ludicrous.

Last edited:

buenoblue

Iisten to gamescoop and videogame outsiders, those guys are nuts. Mat Bradford is totally Gerry from Rick and Morty.

ZywyPL

Banned
I watch/listen some podcasts (gaming and non-gaming related) every now and then when they touch a subject that interests me, nothing on a regular basis, so I really cannot rank anything. But if anything, I just avoid stuff that's hosted by an obvious die-hard fanboys, like Dealer Gaming for example, I just cannot stand someone being so much in love with a plastic box, it's just cringy as fuck and doesn't bring any new info/insight than other podcasts/websites already provide.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Digitally Distracted is a fun podcast, but it rarely updates.

I used to enjoy the FrogPants Studios stuff, but I have fallen off in recent years and I am afraid to go near it anymore for fear of it being bogged down by social slacktivist bullshit like EZA has become. I would watch Jaffe, but after his whole racist tirade, I have zero interest. GiantBomb is a fucking joke and has been since Ryan passed away.

Colin Moriarty actively criticizes everyone while also showing he is a massive fan of games. One of the few that still remain watchable, even if I disagree with him.

Podcasts in general have become a general shit show.

FranXico

Videogame podcasts are bad. They're bad because they frequently fall into one of two categories. The early access category, where hosts agree to like everything in an attempt to maintain early access with publishers. And the cheerleader category where one console is good and the other bad. The unquestioned top 3, in descending order, are now...

3. GamesBeat Decides - A relatively vanilla podcast where a reputable insider (Jeff Grubb) is willing to share the things he's heard with listeners.

1. GABBIN+GAMES - It finally happened. A one man podcast is hard to do, but David Jaffe has enough personality and willingness to stream his filterless consciousness on air. Plus, he takes live calls (a podcast rarity) and encourages people who disagree to come on the show. He has ascended.
OP couldn't be more obvious. Calls out cheerleaders, starts his top 3 with an Xbox cheerleader.

JoeBudden

Here's a good podcast I've gotten into recently and I have been enjoying: Gamertag Radio (Parris Lily's podcast)

It's a super professional show that isn't run by weird musty nerds with underlying platform biases.

FrozenFlame

Eh, the one that I truly enjoyed was the Gamespy Debriefings podcast back in the day (the Comedy Button didn't do anything for me) although I also used to listen to other stuff like Epic Battle Axe or the Cheapassgamer one.
Nowadays, I don't know if the lack of time, i outgrew those or it's the content but I feel like it's boring stuff being discussed. What they have been playing, what's on the news and listeners mail. There's no real strong personality to those people or inside information (not necessarily games leaks) that grabs my attention.
Still, I'm happy that Colin Moriarty has success considering the whole PC culture shenanigans that happened.

The good guys all left (Kyle Bosman) or split up into less interesting podcasts (giant bomb). Add in a touch of ever present woke culture and cynicism from doing it for so long, and you pretty much killed your audience.

Top Bottom