• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Gen without Armored Core?

RaZoR No1

Hi all,
I just realized, that we have a whole Gen without any of the Armored Core Games.
Last AC game was released on PS3/X360 was Armored Core Verdict Day, which was an direct sequel to AC V and used the same updated mechanics (ground focused fights and fractions).
Unfortunately the last Gen AC games are not part of the BC games, so we cannot play them on our current consoles. AFAIK the games had some framerate issues depending on how much was going on in the game and therefore could have profited by the BC.

Unfortunately I started very late to the series and my first games were AC 4 / AC For Answer and the PSP games.

I always liked that you had a overpowered Mech/AC, the ability to customize as you want, go Tank or go Speedbuild and the fights against other ACs.

So what is your opinion about this game series?
Is it a hidden and now maybe a lost gem?
IMO this series need a new game and for me it is sad, that From Software isn't doing anything with these games anymore.

H4ze

Ahh a new AC would be so so good, but I don't see FROM going back to that IP anytime soon unfortunately.

RaZoR No1

I'd be sadder if I didn't love Souls so much. Daemon x machinawas pretty good.
Well that is the issue for me, I never really bothered with the souls games, because I never had the patience or the time for them.
How is the Daemon x machin gameplay wise?
Pretty similar to AC or completely different?

Spaceman292

Banned
Well that is the issue for me, I never really bothered with the souls games, because I never had the patience or the time for them.
How is the Daemon x machin gameplay wise?
Pretty similar to AC or completely different?
It's slower and jankier but it's still sort of fun if you ignore the dialogue. Just play dark souls and pretend they're all robots.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
hopefully another generation without it.

give me more souls/bloodborne/elden ring stuff. none of this AC nonsense.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I have been buying the AC titles ever since i first played the demo of the first game on my original Playstation.That one and For Answer are the ones i have played the most. I loved the first game but after a point it became impossible for me. I have almost all of them but i haven't finished any of them. They are very hard games (much more harder than Souls games) and i always felt there was a huge barrier for new players.

The reason i kept buying them was because i always loved their Mecha designs and the music was always top notch.

I hope one day we see a new AC but i hope they make it a bit more accessible and easy to understand for new players.

Ladioss

Like OP I was very late to the series (AC4/ACFA, the PSP games emulated on Vita).
I've counted each second since the day From pulled the plug for the ACVD servers outside Japan lol

For the record - there was some hints that a new Armored Core was in development as far as back in 2016.
In 2018, Masanori Takeuchi (producer of several From games, Metal Wolf Chaos among them), in an interview, tried to explain why, according to him, mecha games are hard to sell in the West.
My guess it that From tried several time during last gen to pitch a new AC game, maybe even entered preprod, but there probably wasn't any editor intested into financing the project...

I'd be sadder if I didn't love Souls so much. Daemon x machinawas pretty good.

I only played the demos (both of them), but the gameplay felt much more sluggish and looser to me.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
I only played the demos (both of them), but the gameplay felt much more sluggish and looser to me.
DxM gameplay demo is like basic tutorial AC setups, and performance wise they are much much better since launch. You can watch mid/end DxM gameplay for compatison.
Overall AC gameplay is still king though.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Only played the original.

The customization aspect was great. You want big weapons cool you better make sure you have the legs & torso to support them & say goodbye to movement speed. You wanna go fast fine but you need to be very selective about weapons & your health will be shit.

fdd11750-0c97-4f32-b12a-b1e20332895f.gif

Last edited:

Ladioss

The customization aspect was great. You want big weapons cool you better make sure you have the legs & torso to support them & say goodbye to movement speed. You wanna go fast fine but you need to be very selective about weapons & your health will be shit.

Customizing the fins and the balance of your mecha in ACFA, or your own AI model in ACVD really blew me away :eek:

Given the Souls' focus on posture and armour, this is actually a spectacular advice :messenger_grinning:

I miss my Itano Circus, thought. As well as OP railguns/grenade launchers/kojima missiles/gattlings guns/etc :D

DxM gameplay demo is like basic tutorial AC setups, and performance wise they are much much better since launch. You can watch mid/end DxM gameplay for compatison.

Okay I will keep this in mind, thanks for the advice !

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I have to say if there's any hardcore game community i respect the most for their skills are the veteran AC players. They may be relatively few but i consider them the most skilled community out there.
They must be all laughing off their asses with all those popular Souls try-hards who always boast about their skills. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Huge fan of the Armored Core series. The series parallels Ace Combat for me for skill based play.
Very disappointed there hasnt been an entry for awhile. I was hoping to finally get a 60fps version this gen.

Also disappointed none of the 360/Ps3 games are backward compatible.
For Answer is still THE fastest action game ever created - I dont think this will ever be topped. Verdict Day is one of that gen's best hidden gems.

Surly theyve made enough bank on Souls to give AC another entry.

Aion002

I still play Armored Core Verdict Day on the PS3... Mostly SP... But sometimes there are some japanese players online playing in the same time as I.

Sooo good.

The only thing that makes this gen not having a AC game bearable.... is that Sekiro and the Souls games are amazing.

Last edited:
Always felt too involved, as though the RPG elements dwarfed the mechanical, which were cumbersome and complicated.

That said, the premise of the series is awesome and one I would favor returning to at some point. I simply doubt it’s worth FromSoft’s attention. A competing studio should seize the chance to fill that space, IMO.

Top Bottom