• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest And Tales Collaboration Might Be Possible?

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
They've already started!

Is this artwork original? That said I'd love to see some of FF characters re-imagined by other artists, like in this case (original or not). Tales of artists got also that late '70 early '80 type of style that takes me back to mangas and animes for girls of the old days and it's very nostalgic.

squall23

Inomata or bust. So tired of Fujishima, not as tired of Inomata for some reason. Probably the fact I like more of the Tales games that she drew for.

Hashimoto (Final Fantasy): “How about Kosuke Fujishima (Tales of character designer) draws for a Final Fantasy, and Tetsuya Nomura do Dragon Quest?”

I am feeling EMOTIONS.

If it's just the art changing though, that'd be weird.

Psxphile

The last time we had collaboration between the FF and DQ guys gave us Chrono Trigger but I am not sure what are they going to give us today given the shitty track record of Sqaure Enix as of late.

But muh Dream Team 2.0!

No please no.

I'm interested in a 'Tales of' looking Final Fantasy.
But Nomura needs to stay away from Dragon Quest. Seriously. Belts everywhere.

no god.

no god please no.

no. no. nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Tetsuya Nomura do Dragon Quest

the horror

You wouldn't play a DISSIDIA Dragon Quest?

kSlKkGD.jpg

Please no. Tales games are pretty awful (probably the worst major JRPG series out there) and can't touch Dragon Quest's shit, or former Final Fantasy glory.

You wouldn't play a DISSIDIA Dragon Quest?

I was just thinking the other day how they could make a Dissidia sequel as a crossover between FF and DQ but trying to imagine Nomura doing DQ character designs. Thanks for that.

I too wouldn't mind a new Itadaki Street crossover.

Any combination of the three would be fine with me. As long as it's not another Fortune Street- type game or an iOS money-grab.

Nomura on DQ sounds interesting.

extralite

The vast majority of what made Chrono Trigger good -- Yuji Horii's writing, Akira Toriyama's character designs, etc -- is what makes Dragon Quest so good.

Horii didn't write, he was supervisor. Story was by Masato Katô. Who wrote and directed the sequels too.

Goddamnit if Fuijishima gets to design characters for a mainline Final Fantasy before Yusuke Naora there will be rage coming out of my eyes, ears, and ass. :[[[[[

Aeana

Horii didn't write, he was supervisor. Story was by Masato Katô. Who wrote and directed the sequels too.

I will quote from Play's interview with Horii.

Chrono Trigger is a legendary game among American RPG fans. What exactly was your role in that title?

In Chrono Trigger, Hironobu Sakaguchi and I were involved together as supervisors. Mainly I worked on the story’s plot. I wrote Chrono Trigger with a vision of time travel. A character would travel to the past, make some actions, and that would change the current or future situation of the character…. As a side note, I am a huge time travel fan. An old TV series, Time Tunnel was my favorite and I never missed an episode.

He came up with the scenario concept and wrote the basic plot for a lot of the game. The Zeal stuff was all Kato, however.

More quotes from Kato:

For example, in Chrono Trigger, Mr. Yuji Horii wrote the basic plot line first; following that, it was editted and rewritten by me, and even further on after that, the sub-scenarios were created by Mr. Tokita and Mr. Kitase. So it all gets kinda' mixed up at the end. But the 12,000 B.C. part was 100% my original idea. After writing the story for this part, I also did the events for Zeal Palace, the dungeons, and everything else by myself (laughs).

"Trigger" wasn't exactly "smooth sailing", and a lot of the parts ended up being changed in the end. I remember back then, I couldn't stand getting up in the mornings and going to work everyday. I had the worst stomach ache from hell. But even still, I wrote all of the 12,000 B.C. events by myself and made sure that no one laid a finger on my section. Oh yeah, I also recall that when it came time to make the staff roll, they thought about placing "the most important people" on the top and just giving the title of the "scenario writer" to the top people of the planning division. I personally didn't (and don't) give a hoot about any titles or that sorta' stuff, so I just told them, "do whatever you like" - but then, Mr. Tokita and Mr. Kitase protested and in the end, I remember I was given the rather unusual title of the "story-planner". But that was pretty much how the situation went, and so even after finishing the project, I only had this feeling of relief from having rid myself of this heavy burden. I was finally free, and I could at last take on something new now. I think much of these savage feelings that I developed inside of me from the final developing stage of "Trigger", went into the making of the next project, "Radical".'

extralite

He came up with the scenario concept and wrote the concept for a lot of the game. The Zeal stuff was all Kato, however.

More quotes from Kato:

Doesn't really contradict what I said though. Saying Horii wrote CT is like saying Nomura wrote FFVII. He came up with base plot ideas but the actual scenario was done by others. Mainly Kato.

Kato is the main writer, in the quote you give he says a lot his stuff was changed but he still is the one who gets credited for the story.

Aeana

Doesn't really contradict what I said though. Saying Horii wrote CT is like saying Nomura wrote FFVII. He came up with base plot ideas but the actual scenario was done by others. Mainly Kato.

Kato is the main writer, in the quote you give he says a lot his stuff was changed but he still is the one who gets credited for the story.

It does contradict what you said, because you are trying to marginalize Horii's contributions to the game and inflate Kato's. What Horii did for CT is not at all comparable to what Nomura did for FF7.

The vast majority of what made Chrono Trigger good -- Yuji Horii's writing, Akira Toriyama's character designs, etc -- is what makes Dragon Quest so good.

There's a reason they call the group that did CT the "Dream Team" -- moreso than maybe any other videogame collaboration ever, it really did combine the best talents of multiple creators in a way that made each one shine. Horii's scenario is absolutely vital to making CT what it is, but to say that the DQ team's contributions are the "vast majority" of what makes the game good dramatically undersells the value of what the Square side brought to the table on both the gameplay and story sides, not to mention Mitsuda's unbelievable soundtrack.

Pre-emptive side note to Aeana: I would say the same thing about anyone who claimed that Horii wasn't a major, vital contributor (and then dope-slap them and tell them to play DQ7.)

Doesn't really contradict what I said though. Saying Horii wrote CT is like saying Nomura wrote FFVII.

*dopeslap* Go play DQ7.

Gloam

As I was saying to Aeana and Nirolak a little bit ago, I think 2 and 4 are my favorites in this style, while 6 and 8 are my least favorites.

2 is the best DQ hero design, love those goggles.

As for the news story. Cover versions of franchises by different teams is potentially very interesting, in the case of DQ though I think it'd be hard for another scenario writer/composer/character designer to get the tone down, but perhaps that's the point of this kind of project. We'll wait and see...

extralite

*dopeslap* Go play DQ7.
I did. It came out after CT btw. The concept is similar but the writing is vastly different.

Also the world view. In DQ7 you have one past and many places. In CT you have the same places in several distinct time periods. It's one ongoing connected story.

DQ7 actually highlights the differences in Horii's writing compared to CT.

It does contradict what you said, because you are trying to marginalize Horii's contributions to the game and inflate Kato's. What Horii did for CT is not at all comparable to what Nomura did for FF7.

Horii:
In Chrono Trigger, Hironobu Sakaguchi and I were involved together as supervisors. Mainly I worked on the story’s plot. I wrote Chrono Trigger with a vision of time travel. A character would travel to the past, make some actions, and that would change the current or future situation of the character…

This sounds really basic... On the other hand, Nomura came up with stuff like killing Aerith.

Kato:
For example, in Chrono Trigger, Mr. Yuji Horii wrote the basic plot line first; following that, it was editted and rewritten by me, and even further on after that, the sub-scenarios were created by Mr. Tokita and Mr. Kitase.
Again, Kato is credited for Story Plan. Horii is credited as Supervisor. In the interviews they basically confirm this. Horii supervised the story based on his ideas, as explained in the quote. Kato, Tokita and Kitase did the actual writing.

Edit: And btw, both Sakaguchi and Nomura are credited for story in FFVII's credits. Because Sakaguchi came up with the new wave religion elements and Nomura with the characters and ideas for their stories.

You can actually watch Spirits Within and see what ideas for FFVII came from Sakaguchi. Or play DQ7 to see what ideas for CT came from Horii. His quote exactly describes DQ7 as well. Yet in CT when you give something to an ancestor to change a personality in the next period, these are very little yet interesting details but mostly without consequence to the greater narrative.

Epcott

Sure, they joke and carry on... And next year we'll see Dragon Quest x Final Fantasy x Tales Itadaki Street Special Ultimate iOS.

If this is gonna happen, I'd love to see the character artists work on the others' games. Toriyama do FF or Tales, Nomura do DQ or Tales, and so on. It'd be so neat and interesting.

Famassu

Really disgusting idea. Please keep the cancer that is modern FF out of my DQ.
DQ could do well to go through some modernizing (that is not iOS or MMO). A somewhat FFXV type game with DQ style would actually be fucking awesome. Nomura wouldn't automatically mean FFXIII-like characters, he's a versatile character designer so he could adapt a style closer to Toriyama's and it's not like DQs are at the top of JRPG gameplay, so a Nomura directed one could bring in some fresh perspective.

I did. It came out after CT btw. The concept is similar but the writing is vastly different.

Also the world view. In DQ7 you have one past and many places. In CT you have the same places in several distinct time periods. It's one ongoing connected story.

DQ7 actually highlights the differences in Horii's writing compared to CT.

Horii:

This sounds really basic... On the other hand, Nomura came up with stuff like killing Aerith.

Kato:

Again, Kato is credited for Story Plan. Horii is credited as Supervisor. In the interviews they basically confirm this. Horii supervised the story based on his ideas, as explained in the quote. Kato, Tokita and Kitase did the actual writing.

Edit: And btw, both Sakaguchi and Nomura are credited for story in FFVII's credits. Because Sakaguchi came up with the new wave religion elements and Nomura with the characters and ideas for their stories.

You can actually watch Spirits Within and see what ideas for FFVII came from Sakaguchi. Or play DQ7 to see what ideas for CT came from Horii. His quote exactly describes DQ7 as well. Yet in CT when you give something to an ancestor to change a personality in the next period, these are very little yet interesting details but mostly without consequence to the greater narrative.

Interestingly enough, even though I love Chrono Cross, there IS something missing from it, spiritually, that was there in CT. I think the collab effort adds heart to the games. FFVI had some collaboration regarding the story and character backgrounds, and FFVII had various story collaborations(the big four: Nomura, Sakaguchi, Kitase and Nojima, as well as various scenario ideas by Kato and Toriyama). Even Xenogears had some collaboration regarding ideas(Takahashi, Kato, Soraya Saga). Something special with those games. I wouldn't mind seeing something like that again. Doesn't hurt that, for CT, both Tokita and Kitase are still with Square(even though Kitase's hands-off and Tokita's heading the mobile division). Horii's still there too. Toriyama, like Kato, are freelance. I'm sure Kato would jump at the chance to work on a Square Enix project of they offered him one(I mean, he DID to Ninja Gaiden 3... urgh).

Cwarrior

Who cares about character designers? Get working on a game with a Tales battlesystem, a Toriyama world, a Horii story and a Final Fantasy budget!

This,

Akira toriyama world and character designs, dq story+ tales battle system + main line final fantasy budget.

Lol but it's never going to happen in a proper game maybe some iOS free to play touch based dance game.

Cwarrior

How about get tri-Ace in on it and make a Star Ocean x DQ x FF so we can have a game with a good battle system.

In hell what where going to get with that mix is, star ocean your going to jail character designs + star ocean character interactions dialogue + mind numbing final fantasy un-engaging battle system + FF nonsense story + dq platform choice policy.

Holy shit all these fans hate eachother! I love all three of the franchises(although im partial to FF) and the idea sounds interesting, but the tales vs ff battle system question is what is most important, how can both be implemented and synergised?

Holy shit all these fans hate eachother! I love all three of the franchises(although im partial to FF) and the idea sounds interesting, but the tales vs ff battle system question is what is most important, how can both be implemented and synergised?
I actually do too. I love all three, as well as all three artists. People just fear change, and having Toriyama design for Tales, Nomura design for DQ and a Tales artist, but it Inomata or Fujishima, do Final Fantasy would most DEFINITELY be a change. Gotta get out of that comfort zone and taste something NEW!

Besides, I love Inomata's Dragon Quest art. Change is good.... ACCEPT IT!

He came up with the scenario concept and wrote the basic plot for a lot of the game. The Zeal stuff was all Kato, however.

More quotes from Kato:

Here is additional information from Kato's Chrono Trigger Ultimania interview:

How did the production of the Super Nintendo version progress?

At the very start the entire production staff of 50 or 60 people were gathered together in a large meeting room and each gave their opinions on what kind of game we wanted to make. Thinking about it now, it was a pretty messed up way to go about things. (laughs)

Ever since I was a boy I’ve liked Sci-Fi, and within that really loved time travel and time patrolling kinds of stories. The person who initially suggested we do a time travel piece was actually someone from outside of the project, and I objected to it at the time. Because I liked time travel stories so much, I knew that dealing with this subject in a game carried an unusually high danger of becoming a boring, unappealing work. However, my opposition to going with time travel was in the minority, and furthermore, the person who became the de-facto scenario head wasn’t the person who had originally suggested it, but me. What the heck was that all about?

After that, for the first year I spent hours every week in meetings at Mr Horī’s studio (Yūji Horī - Supervisor). I had to summarise any suggestions I’d been given or ideas I’d had about quest scenarios. I’d then take the parts that we’d worked on in the meetings back to my own company and think about how to continue those stories.
Do you have any funny behind-the-scenes stories from the production period?

Funny behind-the-scenes stories, huh… No, I don’t think there are any. (laughs) I just silently beavered away at my desk… while listening to prog rock on my headphones. Back then it was a job that was quite isolated, with me shut away in my own little world.

Oh, at the initial meeting I turned in a design I’d drawn in pencil for the party’s combined attack. The producer Mr Sakaguchi just smirked and said, “Don’t turn in scribbles like this.” Well, I guess it was right after I joined the company, so I wasn’t able to use my own booth or computer, I’d just drawn it sitting at the long meeting room table. (laughs)

There was also a time during a meeting when the idea of the main character dying came up, and the whole room suddenly burst into laughter. I seemed to be the only one who thought “That was a serious suggestion, what’s so funny?” and sat looking blank. (laughs) Although at that point Mr Horī did say “Hey, that might be pretty interesting.” Incidentally, the idea that I had at that time was for Crono to really die, and the others would have to go back in time and enlist a version of Crono from the night before the Fair. Then after the final battle they would have to return him to that point in time and bid him farewell. But that idea was rejected (laughs). They said it had to be a happy ending, so we eventually settled on the story with the clone as it is today.
What was difficult about writing a time travel story?

I wrote it 15 years ago, so it’s hard enough to remember how I felt at the time. (laughs)

Firstly, there’s the matter of what kind of time scale to give both the whole story and the individual quests. You can go on a journey across time, through past and future. You can directly influence events in history. Together with your allies, you can change the world. I racked my brains on how to bring out that sense of excitement and thrill as much as possible.

Furthermore, when making a game about time travel there’s a high chance of it not being done well and becoming like a chore for the player. Like planting a flag in the past and checking on the effects of it in the present and future over and over again, for instance. This could be said about RPGs in general, but if you think it through, whether it’s “do this,” “take this,” “defeat these monsters,” or “plant this flag,” it can become just a long string of errands.

With time travel, you have to develop quests that allow the player to visit different worlds back and forth along the timeline. This being the case it needs to be made easy to understand even more so than other kinds of games, or else the player can get lost and have no idea where to go or what to do next. You have to make it so that the player can clearly visualise causes and effects. On the other hand, there’s also the pitfall of it becoming a boring “plant the flag” kind of game. These are the kinds of things I had to take into consideration.

Coxy

No god no, Tales is one of the few good series left, dont let them ruin this too. Contain the damage, isolate it

Top Bottom