• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest And Tales Collaboration Might Be Possible?

Exentryk

The three RPG developers got together in what was an unexpected gathering for V Jump. Here’s a snippet from their conversation about a possible collaboration between the three:

Baba (Tales of): “If you can do it, then by all means!”

Saito (Dragon Quest): “Shall we? We can start right away.”

Baba: “How about [Akira] Toriyama’s first Tales of game?”

Hashimoto: “If Toriyama is okay with it, then we’re okay with it. As long as we stay true to the world view, I think [Yuji] Horii would be okay with it, too.”

Hashimoto (Final Fantasy): “How about Kosuke Fujishima (Tales of character designer) draws for a Final Fantasy, and Tetsuya Nomura do Dragon Quest?”

Baba: “I’m pretty sure Fujishima would do it.”

Full article - Siliconera

I'm interested in a 'Tales of' looking Final Fantasy.
But Nomura needs to stay away from Dragon Quest. Seriously. Belts everywhere.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

Am I in 2000? His character designs didn't look belts for a long time now.

I'd take him over Fujishima who's lost his touch and style a couple of decades ago.

Wazzy

Banned
Am I in 2000? His character designs didn't look belts for a long time now.
Honestly people exaggerate the belt/zipper stuff. Sure, there's some wacky designs with the overuse of zippers and belts such as Lulu, Leon, Tidus and some Organization XIII members but otherwise he's been pretty tame.

Honestly people exaggerate the belt/zipper stuff. Sure, there's some wacky designs with the overuse of zippers and belts such as Lulu, Leon, Tidus and some Organization XIII members but otherwise he's been pretty tame.
Lulu is belts done right.

Who cares about character designers? Get working on a game with a Tales battlesystem, a Toriyama world, a Horii story and a Final Fantasy budget!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Dragon Quest XI: Tales of Lightning

Soriku

Who cares about character designers? Get working on a game with a Tales battlesystem, a Toriyama world a Horii story and a Final Fantasy budget!

Toriyama world and Horii story for a collab game? Eh...no thanks,

I don't really think the more simple DQ style works well with a lot more story and character driven games like FF and Tales. I'd like to see SE and the Tales team work on a game, not so sure about including the DQ creators though.

Heyt

Banned
Tales of with Toriyama artwork? NO PLEASE.

Nomura would work much better for the series imo if this was proposed seriously. But it they had to swich to any other manga illustrator I would like Obata.

I think Toriyama designed Tales characters would be interesting, as would Fujishima designed DQ characters. Nomura can sit this one out.

zulux21

so i read this and go, please make this happen, and please just make it be itadaki street super edition... just an upgraded version of the dragon quest and final fantasy in itadaki street special with tales characters, tales inspired maps, and online play and I would be jumping for joy (and then crying as they likely wouldn't localize it despite the fact that if they did it would almost never leave my console for what ever they released it on ><)

either way I wouldn't mind seeing these guys experiment with each other... some of the best creations are made when trying to mix some things that shouldn't be mixed.

The last time we had collaboration between the FF and DQ guys gave us Chrono Trigger but I am not sure what are they going to give us today given the shitty track record of Sqaure Enix as of late.

They've already started!

66edebe3.jpg

Famassu

Most Tales games look generic as fuck. At least Nomura has good days when he can make some pretty awesome character designs. And he's versatile. He can go from somewhat "realistic" anime style (Parasite Eve) to something slightly less realistic but still really good like Dissidia and to a fun cartoonier style like Kingdom Hearts, all of which look ways better than most Tales games.

Link1110

Last time this happened, we got Chrono Trigger. I would hope for a collaboration rather than a crossover because that much talent would bring something great. FF has fallen pretty far since then, but Tales and DQ are still fun (never played DQX but 9 was great.)

I don't expect it to happen but it could be really great.

Shinta

Banned
Really not a big fan of the Tales of character designs. But it seems like they'd have fun with it, so it's not like I can complain too much. I'd certainly try it.

I'm confused. What would Akira Toriyama have to do with the story?

He wrote all of DBZ right? Not bad.

KiTA

You know once they've ran Final Fantasy into the ground, they'll be coming for Dragon Quest next. It's the only other name SE has that's "big enough" for someone with the "stature" of Nomura / Kitase / (Not Akira) Toriyama to screw up next.

Last time this happened, we got Chrono Trigger. I would hope for a collaboration rather than a crossover because that much talent would bring something great. FF has fallen pretty far since then, but Tales and DQ are still fun (never played DQX but 9 was great.)

I don't expect it to happen but it could be really great.

Yes... and no. I heard that Squaresoft people that worked on Chrono Trigger have mostly left the company, I believe, driven out by Wada and the like.

The vast majority of what made Chrono Trigger good -- Yuji Horii's writing, Akira Toriyama's character designs, etc -- is what makes Dragon Quest so good.

KiTA

It'll probably be some dumb mobile app.

I'm picturing a card game, something with random fanservice still frames out of FMV sequences.

Although, hey, a monster game (DQM meets FFM meets Tales of Monsters) would be fun, right?

I actually think Lightning would be a good fit for the Tales combat style. I feel like FF x Tales x DQ would be all over the place, though.

Pyrrhus

It's kind of like three hair bands from the 80s who used to be rivals that didn't acknowledge the existence of the others when they were in their prime banding together to do a revival tour.

daninthemix

If it did happen, it would be a case of too many cooks. Besides, some of those franchises are hardly on peak form themselves right now.

Probably just gonna be Fortune Street with FF/DQ/Tales characters. Would kill for a game using the Tales engine using those 3 franchises characters

Top Bottom