• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest And Tales Collaboration Might Be Possible?

RalchAC

Yay! Dragon Quest with zippers!

Would love to see Akira Toriyama design a Tales' game.

I'm the only guy that didn't like Toriyama's art style at all? And I grew with DBZ as other much people.

I vastly prefer Fujishima Kosuke and I like his designs a lot more than the other Tales of character designer. He is able to make the characters designs cool but simple. Jude, Alvin and Elize clothes are (IMO) miles better than Milla's and Leia's. And both Vesperia and Abyss have pretty good designs for the party members.

And about FF, I don't know. They have been using a more realistic style in the last 5 main entries, it'd be weird seeing them using manga alike character another time.

Soriku

I'm the only guy that didn't like Toriyama's art style at all? And I grew with DBZ as other much people.

I vastly prefer Fujishima Kosuke and I like his designs a lot more than the other Tales of character designer. He is able to make the characters designs cool but simple. Jude, Alvin and Elize clothes are (IMO) miles better than Milla's and Leia's. And both Vesperia and Abyss have pretty good designs for the party members.

And about FF, I don't know. They have been using a more realistic style in the last 5 main entries, it'd be weird seeing them using manga alike character another time.

I wouldn't like to see Toriyama draw for Tales either.

And I think Jude and Elize's clothes are meh but Alvin and Leia have good ones. Rowen is fine.

Their Xillia 2 outfits are pretty good overall.

extralite

Interestingly enough, even though I love Chrono Cross, there IS something missing from it, spiritually, that was there in CT. I think the collab effort adds heart to the games. FFVI had some collaboration regarding the story and character backgrounds, and FFVII had various story collaborations(the big four: Nomura, Sakaguchi, Kitase and Nojima, as well as various scenario ideas by Kato and Toriyama). Even Xenogears had some collaboration regarding ideas(Takahashi, Kato, Soraya Saga). Something special with those games. I wouldn't mind seeing something like that again. Doesn't hurt that, for CT, both Tokita and Kitase are still with Square(even though Kitase's hands-off and Tokita's heading the mobile division). Horii's still there too. Toriyama, like Kato, are freelance. I'm sure Kato would jump at the chance to work on a Square Enix project of they offered him one(I mean, he DID to Ninja Gaiden 3... urgh).
It's true, CC doesn't quite feel exactly the same as CT either. DQ7 has the distinct Horii style and CC is even more fully Kato. Still I feel Kato was the most important writer on CT's story, which is reflected in the credits.

Horii's involvement with CT is like Sakaguchi's involvement with many Square titles or Miyamoto's involvement with many Nintendo titles in which they were supervising or producing rather than directing. They just help the people in charge of the actual writing or design with their understanding what constitutes good story or gameplay structure and give suggestions both at the outset and during the process.

Here is additional information from Kato's Chrono Trigger Ultimania interview:
Very interesting, thanks! Basically he wrote the script based on ideas passed to him by Horii, building on those to continue the story. And some of his own ideas were rejected or used in changed form. Yet the 12000 part of the scenario is exactly as he envisioned it.

KiTA

Very interesting, thanks! Basically he wrote the script based on ideas passed to him by Horii, building on those to continue the story. And some of his own ideas were rejected or used in changed form. Yet the 12000 part of the scenario is exactly as he envisioned it.

So the problems with CC vs the quality of CT comes down to the same problem that is plaguing Final Fantasy -- he's a good writer... when given constraints.

Perhaps it's just as well we never got Chrono Break after all?

extralite

So the problems with CC vs the quality of CT comes down to the same problem that is plaguing Final Fantasy -- he's a good writer... when given constraints.

Perhaps it's just as well we never got Chrono Break after all?
Actually I think it's the other way round. Radical Dreamers was a sound novel with many different endings, not at different points in the narrative but all parallel to each other, with vastly different outcomes. Judging from early interviews CC was going to be the same way, they said it wouldn't take long to beat it but would have great replay value.

In the end it was like CT, you could beat it early to get different endings (which you would only be strong enough for on a new game plus) but the proper clear took 40+ hours. I think that was because of the used game market so they needed to make the regular clear time as long as possible.

The only real problem with CC was that the revelations at the end made it so convoluted. This could be the result of having to fit all the info in after combining different outcomes into one. So basically, maybe Square screwed with Kato's vision again. Otherwise it was a mature continuation of the story and themes.

Chrono Break is unnecessary. We never learned what happened to Schala in CT, RD and CC answered that.

Top Bottom