• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A 1st-person Castlevania would be gnarly

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Zweisy1 said:
How about getting rid of stats? Im sick of RPG elements ruining my action games.

Yeah, they make the game damn near unplayable

Zweisy1

I'd take good balance and challenge over depth anyday.

They've made Castlevania games too easy since SOTN. Have to go out my way to avoid enemies not to level up too much while exploring. One of the reasons I always found Metroidvania games to be inferior to Metroid.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
If you had told me just how negative the reaction to this thread was going to be, I would not have believed you.

So, no on the First Person Castlevania. What do you guys want out of the Castlevania series then?

Keep in mind you can't have hi-res sprites on the console or a good 3D third person game.

Krowley

i would love for them to try a first person castelvania, but they could also probably do a decent 3rd person castelvania.... this seems to be a lack of effort and budget that is causing these games to be weaksauce. It has tremendous potentail as a 3d franchise no matter how you go with it. on the rev, i agree with the poster that a first person option could be very awesome.

Duderz

Banned
Another game starring Alucard on the beautiful PSP screen would be nice...

But, we'd probably have to drudge through another 5 crappy 3-D CV's first.

papercut

I can almost guarantee you that they'll make a Rev Castlevania where you whip the remote. Whether they do it right, who knows...but as long as they keep making portable 2D versions you really can't lose.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I would love for them to give it a try, but I know Iga would fuck it all up. Maybe if they let someone who understands how fps' work it could be kicky.

A Retro Studios developed Castlevania directed by Iga (or hopefully someone else) using the Revolution remote could be a killer app and a new direction for the series to take on consoles.

CO_Andy

GDGF said:
A Retro Studios developed Castlevania directed by Iga (or hopefully someone else) using the Revolution remote could be a killer app...
That's a cool idea: Konami lending a franchise to Nintendo.

The last thing anybody wants is to have Iga direct another 3D Castlevania.

Mupepe

Banned
who the fuck says gnarly anymore?
waychel.jpg

gnarly!

Reilly said:
Ahhhh! preceptor, blaster and is that blur? man that transformers movie needs to hurry up and as for castlevania just make it first and 3rd person at the press of a button best of both worlds!

Xellotah

terrene said:
Hear that, original poster? That's from a Metroid Prime fan! You *know* that's gotta burn!

Speaking of metroid prime, wasn't there an equal amount of negativity expressed when it was revealed the MP would be 1st person. It will only take one knockout Castlevania game for everyone to change their minds.

In fact some of the recent 2d Castlevanias are sometimes referred to as Metroid-vania (bleh) because of the exploration features. So if Metroid can be done well in 3d, there is no reason why castlevania can't be.

papercut

Xellotah said:
Speaking of metroid prime, wasn't there an equal amount of negativity expressed when it was revealed the MP would be 1st person. It will only take one knockout Castlevania game for everyone to change their minds.

In fact some of the recent 2d Castlevanias are sometimes referred to as Metroid-vania (bleh) because of the exploration features. So if Metroid can be done well in 3d, there is no reason why castlevania can't be.

You forget that some people are STILL incredibly bitter over the whole FP Metroid thing.

That's okay, though. If an FP Castlevania game turns out as well as the MP series I'd be overjoyed along with the rest of the open-minded gaming public.

terrene

Banned
papercut said:
If an FPS that was retrofit to be a "Castlevania" game had the same level of plausible deniability as the FPS that was retrofit to be a "Metroid" game, I'd buy it up along with the rest of the nostalgic, easily-manipulated fanboys.
Fixed.

FightyF

Banned
I think a side project where you storm a 3D castle in FPS view in the present day would be awesome. If it somehow tied into the original Castlevanias, it would be great. And it needs a goth metal soundtrack.

Tain

What's WASD?

The general preferred control setup for PC FPSes. W, A, S, and D are move and sidestep, mouse is orientation.

I tend to call Halo-style FPS control setups (anything with left stick as movement, right as orientation) WASD-style setups.

Top Bottom