• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A 1st-person Castlevania would be gnarly

CO_Andy

On one end, Iga is praised for working miracles on Castlevania for the handheld, but on the other end, he continues to be the most-hated man in existence to Castlevania fans on the console.

Castlevania's all about atmosphere, great musik, and er, exploration. Metroid Prime perfectly replicates this experience, so there's no reason for Iga to avoid what he's already stolen.

As for the action segments... How about Revo controlled whipping? That'd be innovative enough to differentiate the franchise.

Reilly

no.jpg

Snaku

Banned
A KotOR-like RPG set in the Castlevania world would be more to my liking. With a FEMALE lead, please. :)

Snaku said:
A KotOR-like RPG set in the Castlevania world would be more to my liking. With a FEMALE lead, please. :)
Ooh, with an emphasis on positioning, like Panzer Dragoon Saga! I like the female lead idea too, she should look like the girl in Demento. :) No party members either.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
CO_Andy said:
For the love of whatever you consider holy in your life will you please stop deliberately misspelling words.

The forum had to beat you for months until you finally stopped spelling "is" with a fucking moronic Z. Please progress down this path and stop trying to be "unique".

Johnas

Reilly said:
Never confuse GoBots with Transformers ever again. You are dead to me.

:lol The top-right one I knew looked like a Transformer, the other two really did look like GoBots to me though, two that I had in fact. But it's been a while since I played with them, as I hope it has been for you. Apologies!

Ah, now I see the symbol on his chest. My bad.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
1st person Castlevania - No!
Turn based Castlevania RPG - Maybe...Mega Man did it.

Tarazet

If you want a first-person game based on a classic platformer, just buy fucking Metroid Prime. For God's sake, don't even suggest that the maker of Coded Arms has the firepower in its arsenal to make a first-person Castlevania.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
the year 20XX said:
A first-person CV doesn't belong in this world.

Mankind ill needs a savior such as it.
:lol

A First Person Castlevania would be as awesome as hearing a theremin solo for five hours straight.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Hmm. Metroid Prime, Oblivion, Thief: Deadly Shadows, Maken X, and a couple other games I can't quite name come to mind. It's an interesting idea, but such a big part of Castlevania is platforming and melee combat, both of which are damn hard to pull off in a satisfactory manner in First Person. Considering how ill received Curse of Darkness was, you can count me in as open to the idea.

Ferny84

Banned
How about a Castlevania MMORPG?

There could be different starting areas in the world, and it would be your style of vampire slaying (Just like the character from Bloodlines).

Ferny84 said:
How about a Castlevania MMORPG?

There could be different starting areas in the world, and it would be your style of vampire slaying (Just like the character from Bloodlines).

That would have to be one huge fucking castle.

I would like to see more styles of vampire slaying, though.

Tain

Clock Tower SNES is an awesome, awesome game.

Anyway, the idea ain't that bad. I could see it being cool assuming they dropped some of the assumed minor motion/camera/control-oriented stuff in FPSes... Like, you should stay stationary when attacking with the whip, a slide attack could lock your orientation while being done, player movement and "heft" would somehow emphasize ducking/jumping enemy attacks, etc.

Maybe make it a third-person WASD.

Then again, I think it'd be cool if more FPSes did this sort of thing anyway. As said, first-person doesn't tend to mix well with melee, and I think doing these sort of things (breaking away from the standard FPS rules of control) would fix it.

Xellotah

Well how about a FP castlevania-like game. Its about time the FP genre explore themes other that WW2 and Space-marines.

papercut

A) You're not gonna see any new 2D Casltevanias for a home console.
B) The 3D ones have been meh.

I say go for it. Sign a deal with Nintendo and let Retro develop it, it'd work greap in FP mode with the Rev controller :D

CO_Andy

Honestly, can anyone say they don't want a 1st-person Castlevania after playing Metroid Prime (or even LoI or CoD for that matter)?

Tarazet

CO_Andy said:
Honestly, can anyone say they don't want a 1st-person Castlevania after playing Metroid Prime (or even LoI or CoD for that matter)?

Yes, and I've played all three of those. The problem isn't that it couldn't work, the problem is that it's Konami. They've only made one FPS, and it wasn't exactly spectacular.

papercut

I still say the Revolution controller would be perfect for this. Move with the added analog stick, look around with the controller, and then use one of the controller buttons + swinging motion to crack the whip.

Or something like that.

snatches

gnarly

adj : used of old persons or old trees; covered with knobs or knots; "gnarled and knotted hands"; "a knobbed stick" [syn: gnarled, knotted, knotty, knobbed]

Uh, ok.

Ranger X

Holy shit no. Please no no no, why is there people like you on this earth so we have bad 3D Castlevanias and no third-person Metroid yet? :lol

haunts

Bacon of Hope
..but you could swing on stuff kind of like in metroid. that was always fun...

I mean, what if a BAT came right at your FACE and you had to WHIP IT.

sounds intense to me.

jarrod

Banned
CO_Andy said:
Well, since first person Metroid utterly failed... yes?

It can work, but so can a 3d Castlevania in the vein of the two recent PS2 ones. The problem is that they're not doing anything new. We need someone with new ideas like Hideo Kojima to reinvent the series yet again. We need hi-res sprites already.

Top Bottom