• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Castlevania - the 15 canonical games

Another Order of Ecclesia convert!

That game is so good, gameplay is really creative and satisfying.
I loved that the game was not about "equip the most damaging weapon/spell" but instead needed the player to understand what was going on regarding damage types and enemies, otherwise, the game would turn so insanely hard.

StarPhlox

Is it a good idea to play in chronological order if you've never played the series?

It probably is not best to play through the series in chronological order (in terms of timeline)! In fact, if you play it in that order it may end up being both jarring and uneven for you.

In an ideal world, I would recommend a newcomer (who can handle a challenge) check out Dracula X Chronicles on PSP or Vita. This game has a remake of Rondo of Blood and an unlockable original Rondo of Blood and unlockable Symphony of the Night.

If you love Rondo and not Symphony, then there is a clear path forward for you. If you love Symphony but not Rondo, then there's also another 6 games in that exact style that are all good to amazing. If you love both then congratulations you are in for a big treat!

Depending on which consoles you have there are always good entry points, but I would not say this is a series that should be played in either order of release or order of timeline.

nynt9

It probably is not best to play through the series in chronological order (in terms of timeline)! In fact, if you play it in that order it may end up being both jarring and uneven for you.

In an ideal world, I would recommend a newcomer (who can handle a challenge) check out Dracula X Chronicles on PSP or Vita. This game has a remake of Rondo of Blood and an unlockable original Rondo of Blood and unlockable Symphony of the Night.

If you love Rondo and not Symphony, then there is a clear path forward for you. If you love Symphony but not Rondo, then there's also another 6 games in that exact style that are all good to amazing. If you love both then congratulations you are in for a big treat!

Depending on which consoles you have there are always good entry points, but I would not say this is a series that should be played in either order of release or order of timeline.

I'd say the best way to experience the series is starting with Castlevania 64, Lords of Shadow 2, then the gameboy games, because then it's all uphill from there

So despite being a numbered entry, Super IV is non-canonical? It just counts as a re-telling over for first game? That's a downer, I love it, diagonal whip and all.

I would strongly urge anyone with a Vita to check out the PSP Dracula X Chronicles, it's available on PSN. It includes Symphony of the Night and the original Rondo of Blood, but the centrepiece, the remake of Rondo, blows the original away on that OLED screen. Richter's movement is so fluid, well-paced and amazing it just feels cool to walk, and the cinematics are way better. I think it's the best OG-Vania available.

I agree on Adventure II, I finished that game a billion times back in the day, I could practically do it without getting hit.

I wish the DS trilogy had come out on the Wii U VC. It's basically the only place it could ever have been authentically re-released.

I really love Portrait of Ruin. Though I'm not surprised you don't have a strong opinion on it, it seems like a forgettable game for a lot of Castlevania fans. But hey, I still have really fond memories of it. The fight to awaken the Vampire Killer's true power and the battle against Deathcula were great.

Portrait of Ruin has one of the best soundtracks imo.
Agreed.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'd say the best way to experience the series is starting with Castlevania 64, Lords of Shadow 2, then the gameboy games, because then it's all uphill from there

CV 64 gets way too much hate. Tech issues aside, it has the most staggering variety and interesting level concepts of all the 3D games(Lords 1 excepted maybe).

Handily rank it well above dull nonsense like the PS2 games. Best title screen in the series too.

nynt9

CV 64 gets way too much hate. Tech issues aside, it has the most staggering variety and interesting level concepts of all the 3D games(Lords 1 excepted maybe).

Handily rank it well above dull nonsense like the PS2 games. Best title screen in the series too.

I'll give you that I actually kind of like Legacy of Darkness. But the control scheme for those games is quite clunky.

Yes Order of Ecclesia is stunning. Very underrated within the franchise. Love and miss Castlevania on the whole.

Underrated? It's one of the most beloved Castlevania games ever (and deservedly so).

Great OP, I agree with most of your assessments. If you haven't yet, please play Yoko / Julius / Arikado mode in Dawn of Sorrow, to me it's even better than the base game!

StarPhlox

Underrated? It's one of the most beloved Castlevania games ever (and deservedly so).

Great OP, I agree with most of your assessments. If you haven't yet, please play Yoko / Julius / Arikado mode in Dawn of Sorrow, to me it's even better than the base game!

Thanks for the tip! I haven't tried different character modes in either DoS or OoE so I'll be sure to check them out as soon as I can :)

That's the best way to give up early on the series. :p

Thanks for the tip! I haven't tried different character modes in either DoS or OoE so I'll be sure to check them out as soon as I can :)

You're welcome! Hopefully you'll like it as much as I did. :)

120v

So despite being a numbered entry, Super IV is non-canonical? It just counts as a re-telling over for first game? That's a downer, I love it, diagonal whip and all.

i don't think its non canonical per se. they just decided 'hey, go kill dracula' was good enough backstory

i wouldn't mind if every classic style CV game did this. not that they make them anymore anyway

redcrayon

It's good to see how well Order of Ecclesia has held up over time.

On release I remember it getting some criticism for its linear early sections alongside praise for its fantastic crunchy bosses and swift combat. It quickly entered my series top 3 but after a recent replay, I think it's probably my favourite one too. The glyphs work really well and it just feels like the culmination of SOTN/the DS/3DS games to me. Pixel art still looks gorgeous to me even when playing on a 3DS.

Astral Dog

If anything Portrait is unddrrated 🖼 amazing soundtrack presentation and mechanics

Replaying Order of Ecclesia now, and it really is GOAT tier. What an amazing game

Portrait is the weakest of the DS vanias to me, and it's soundtrack, outside of a couple songs, is poor, which pains me to say for a castlevania game

Paltheos

Ecclesia really is the best. Even at the time people really liked it, but there was allot of debate about the Sorrow games being better. Now I think the scales have tipped toward the majority believing Ecclesia is the best of the handheld games and maybe it being better than SotN but... man, I don't know. Some elements of SotN are not that polished. It's fantastic of course, but Ecclesia though...!

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Curse of Darkness can be a lot of fun if you like/don't mind grinding for crafting materials to build cool and wacky weapons. The stealing system adds a neat layer to each combat encounter. The innocent devil system is neat too.

Unfortunately, the environments and their traversal are really monotonous. Even the great soundtrack can't save it in that regard. You'll probably find yourself dodging and backspringing down corridors just to make it a little less boring.

Defuser

It's a goddamn pity we will never get the final battle of 1999 with Julius Belmont slaying Dracula for good. Then again even if IGA was with Konami he would have held off making it because he knew he could not make it grand.

Which of the Canons have the best story?
Play Rob then Sotn then AOS , will be good if you played any of the old Castlevania before hand
for maximum impact for the story event in AOS.

Most Castlevania games does not have too much focus on the story although the metriodvania games have more of that.

It's a goddamn pity we will never get the final battle of 1999 with Julius Belmont slaying Dracula for good. Then again even if IGA was with Konami he would have held off making it because he knew he could not make it grand.

It's the only game I really want from Konami now =(

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Super weird that Bloodlines doesn't seem to get any kind of re-releases anywhere. Didn't even hit Virtual Console back in the Wii days when even games like Rondo were getting a release.

Shredderi

Circle of the Moon is underrated. Propably my favourite vania-style castlevania along with Aria of Sorrow. I loved being able to actually sprint and it was suitably challenging game and the starting area has a kickass music.

D.Lo

I wish Igarashi had been shot out of a cannon.

Castlevania 64 is still the best 3D entry.

Dracula X: Chi no Rondo is the best 2D, followed by CV3, Belmonts Revenge and Castlevania 4.

Only Circle of the Moon, Aria of Sorrow and OOE are truly well designed games of the Metroid clones. A couple are outright dogs, design wise (HoD and PoR). Symphony is beautiful but poorly designed.

Famassu

Is there some good video that goes through all of the canonical story of the Castlevania series in a comprehensive manner?

CAR105 3

2194582-dawn_sorrow_redux.jpg

The hell is up with this game case. Lol

Hesh

Simon's Quest is unfairly maligned! I've played through it a few times now and while it is assuredly improved in the *REDACTED* version it is still eminently playable in its original incarnation.

"REDACTED"?

Also, this is the first I've heard of the two N64 games not counting. I need to get around to playing those again, I enjoyed the little of C64 I played some 6 or so years ago but got way too busy with work and other games and forgot about it.

Neith

Banned
I just started Aria on an emulator and my DS4. It's a bit dated for a large screen but it works. xBRZ does its best to make it look good though.

Where should I go after Aria GAF?

Foffy

Banned
For those interested in series canon, there's also a radio drama set after Symphony of the Night and a fucking novel set after Dawn of Sorrow that were translated by the community.

Is Castlevania Bloodlines available on any service, virtual console, PSN, Live, Steam or anything?
No! The only way to legally play Bloodlines is to own the original cartridge and a Genesis which is ridiculous. This game needs a port more than any other in the franchise.

OnPoint

I just started Aria on an emulator and my DS4. It's a bit dated for a large screen but it works. xBRZ does its best to make it look good though.

Where should I go after Aria GAF?

Dawn is a direct sequel, so if you want more, go into it next.

Neith

Banned
Dawn is a direct sequel, so if you want more, go into it next.

Okay great. I am actually really digging these games on Visualboyadvance emu. The game looks solid with xBRZ and bilinear. I know some people like it natural, but I'm still blown away at how nice an old game can look on a big screen.

You left out The Adventure Rebirth, BTW, which replaces the original Adventure.

I think the fanbase considers it, at the least, the best of the Igavanias (not counting SOTN because, 1- it's a classic, and 2- it wasn't made by Iga completely.

Iga was the one who made it into a Metroidvania when he came on board, setting the main pattern for the rest of the series.

Nice to see OoE get recognized by everyone. I feel like people were fatigued of Igavania when it came out and there is a few very loud Iga haters on this site that kind of ruined the threads back in the day. I need to track down a DSi XL so I can play it in its native res again.

I liked it, but feel they went overboard on the rock-paper-scissors element by applying it to almost every single enemy. Hurt the pace of the game with the swapping. Sure, there were 4 configs you could swap between, but you'd have to update equips on those as well whenever you picked up something new or else gear inertia would set in.

I think the fanbase considers it, at the least, the best of the Igavanias (not counting SOTN because, 1- it's a classic, and 2- it wasn't made by Iga completely.

Iga was the one who made it into a Metroidvania when he came on board, setting the main pattern for the rest of the series.

Nice to see OoE get recognized by everyone. I feel like people were fatigued of Igavania when it came out and there is a few very loud Iga haters on this site that kind of ruined the threads back in the day. I need to track down a DSi XL so I can play it in its native res again.

I liked it, but feel they went overboard on the rock-paper-scissors element by applying it to almost every single enemy. Hurt the pace of the game with the swapping. Sure, there were 4 configs you could swap between, but you'd have to update equips on those as well whenever you picked up something new or else gear inertia would set in.

fireflame

Super weird that Bloodlines doesn't seem to get any kind of re-releases anywhere. Didn't even hit Virtual Console back in the Wii days when even games like Rondo were getting a release.

Could it be an issue for them to get Sega's permission since the game was made for Genesis?

I was genuinely surprised the other day when I realised the Mega Drive one hadn't been released on Wii VC back in the day, we ended up with so much goodness on that service I just assumed something major like that would have happened.

I wonder why not?

sotojuan

IIRC there was a PSP Castlevania release that had a game previously only in JP, and it had a SOTN port as unlockable. Anyone remember what it was and if it's worth getting? I did a DS CV marathon early in the year and I want to continue.

Top Bottom