• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

80s style synth-pop/electro synth/cyberpunk music

I've liked Perturbator's Dangerous Days album for a couple of years now but I'm really starting to get knee-deep into this new-fangled retrowave stuff. Really fun. There's so much of it out there. I think I'm becoming a fan of GosT, Mega Drive, and Magic Sword now.

There's plenty that's dark and aggressive, but does anyone know some more chill or upbeat stuff?

Mitch Murder, Power Glove, Muscle, Kristine, Gunship and Dead Astronauts.

NIN90

I've liked Perturbator's Dangerous Days album for a couple of years now but I'm really starting to get knee-deep into this new-fangled retrowave stuff. Really fun. There's so much of it out there. I think I'm becoming a fan of GosT, Mega Drive, and Magic Sword now.

There's plenty that's dark and aggressive, but does anyone know some more chill or upbeat stuff?

I've been listening to Benzin187's mixtapes for that exact reason. They are absolutely great for finding new music besides the common dark stuff by Pertubator, Carpenter Brut etc. . I had no idea that this fairly niche genre had so many great artists to it.

https://soundcloud.com/benzin187/be...benzin187/sets/benzin187-new-romance-mixtapes

Days of Thunder by The Midnight is probably my favorite so far.

https://themidnight.bandcamp.com/album/days-of-thunder

I don't think it's actually possible within the genre to get more upbeat than Dream Fiend

https://dreamfiend.bandcamp.com/album/electric-isle-ep

Android Automatic is something I've been listening to recently and is nice and chill, would recommend to all. Standout track for me is Sex in a Dream

https://androidautomatic.bandcamp.com/album/mojave

velociraptor

There's plenty that's dark and aggressive
Which artists have dark and aggressive stuff? The aforementioned? I know of C. Brut and Perturbator; someone suggested GosT on the other page.

Atrophis

Just got tickets to see Carpentur Brut and LeBrock in a small pub in Milton Keynes :O

If he has copies of Trilogy vinyl on sale I'm gonna lose my shit.

Tankard

Just got tickets to see Carpentur Brut and LeBrock in a small pub in Milton Keynes :O

If he has copies of Trilogy vinyl on sale I'm gonna lose my shit.

Nice, these two are the opposites, one is so chill and the other is chaos, but should be great for a concert. Wish some of these guys would come to my country.

Well that's disappointing. I think I'm cursed to never own it :(

a new repress is coming though, they usually don't haul merchandise to other countries beyond france.

Speaking of represses, Deathwaltz posted on instagram that the Le Matos - Join Us repress is available in December.

Been listening to lots of Robots With Rayguns' stuff lately (bought his entire discography for just over £20, which I found to be a bit of a bargain). Reminds me more of early 90s dance than 80s style personally, though (which I am a fan of too). Has a nice vibe to it, anybody else like this?

https://robotswithrayguns.bandcamp.com/

Well that's disappointing. I think I'm cursed to never own it :(
Neuropa Records have responded multiple upon multiple times that a repress is coming- only I've seen its date shift from October/November to December to January across the social media sphere. I've refreshed the fucking Trilogy listing on their website so many times!

Been listening to lots of Robots With Rayguns' stuff lately (bought his entire discography for just over £20, which I found to be a bit of a bargain). Reminds me more of early 90s dance than 80s style personally, though (which I am a fan of too). Has a nice vibe to it, anybody else like this?

https://robotswithrayguns.bandcamp.com/
I missed out on their Groupees Bundle, but should give them a shot.

Their album art is so good.

a1823891676_10.jpg

I missed out on their Groupees Bundle, but should give them a shot.

Their album art is so good.

Yup, it's all early 90s as fuck. Those vibrant schemes. After giving the albums and EPs a good listen... My favourite tracks are probably 'The Beat, 'Electric Love', 'On the Groove', 'Feed the Rhythm', 'Body Heat', 'Freestylin' and 'Tangerine'. It's all very uplifting and happy music. Nice antidote from the darker synths I like to listen to nowadays.

t-storm

After listening all weekend, I went ahead and bought Alchemy.

Here's the Bandcamp link:

My favourite track right now is "Shadows."

I also like Kids, Get Physical... they're all so strong.

My favourite album of the year so far.

Dave_6

So many to chose from! Turbo Killer was/is amazing so I'm going to have to back this. Can't imagine how awesome a short film and the soundtrack are going to be.

Dan Terminus vinyl delay by about a week or so, nothing major but boy have I'm been anxious for this one.

Artbook looks tempting, but would be too much for my wallet if I wanted the bundle with vinyl...
I'm going for the vinyl tier for now, I may or may not up for the Blu-ray later, likely not but maybe I'll get drunk and/or excited one night.

cptodin

Dan Terminus vinyl delay by about a week or so, nothing major but boy have I'm been anxious for this one.

I'm going for the vinyl tier for now, I may or may not up for the Blu-ray later, likely not but maybe I'll get drunk and/or excited one night.

I'll most likely back thr standard vinyl tier since I don't even have a bluray player

YO. I'll be backing this at least for the vinyl, but lemme read up everything first.

Unfortunately for the vinyl tier, i asked and they said:

"There will be "fresh blood" in the soundtrack but it's still a long road. Carpenter Brut needs to be inspired by the movie. "

So as of now, the soundtrack is just old tracks from Brut. So don't go backing it just yet with only that in mind. The movie itself ought to be really cool though! But if you own Trilogy, this album is probably obsolete. However as they worded it, it's tough because i don't want to miss out on it, if eventually they decide to pay him to write all new tracks :D

Unfortunately for the vinyl tier, i asked and they said:

"There will be "fresh blood" in the soundtrack but it's still a long road. Carpenter Brut needs to be inspired by the movie. "

So as of now, the soundtrack is just old tracks from Brut. So don't go backing it just yet with only that in mind. The movie itself ought to be really cool though! But if you own Trilogy, this album is probably obsolete. However as they worded it, it's tough because i don't want to miss out on it, if eventually they decide to pay him to write all new tracks :D
Hmm, well I would primarily only care about new Carpenter Brut music, so maybe I'll be rethinking backing at all.

Thanks for the head's up.

Join Us very quickly jumped up into my favorite albums of all time list, I'm inexplicably excited about getting this on vinyl.
I admittedly was not enticed the first time through, I think it was maybe my second or third album in this genre and I simply wasn't ready. I thought the beats weren't my thang and I didn't listen to it again until I noticed Death Waltz was working on a re-issue. In this post Dance with the Dead, Carpenter Brut, Drive soundtrack life I now lead, I recognize its greatness.

Even more danceable than te Elisabetta album if you're at the right kind of party.

I admittedly was not enticed the first time through, I think it was maybe my second or third album in this genre and I simply wasn't ready. I thought the beats weren't my thang and I didn't listen to it again until I noticed Death Waltz was working on a re-issue. In this post Dance with the Dead, Carpenter Brut, Drive soundtrack life I now lead, I recognize its greatness.

Even more danceable than te Elisabetta album if you're at the right kind of party.
To be honest, I think Join Us might be better classified as trance than synthwave (which might also be why I'm so obsessed with it).

Full Tour dates for Perturbator
06/01 - SEATTLE - Highline Bar w/ Gost
07/01 - LOS ANGELES - UNION w/Gost
08/01 - SAN FRANCISCO - DNA Lounge w/Gost
11/01 - CHICAGO - Reggies
12/01 - NEW YORK - (le) poisson rouge
13/01 - MONTREAL - Théâtre Fairmount w/Das mörtal
14/01 - BOSTON - ONCE Somerville

Top Bottom