• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

6 Shot at Memorial For Victim of Chicago Gun Violence

Status
Not open for further replies.
At a damn vigil attacked by some opposition, wow, the fuckery on the southside...

Six people, including a 12-year-old girl, were shot Wednesday night on Chicago's South Side during a memorial for a victim of a previous act of gun violence, police said.
The shootings occurred about 8:16 p.m. in the city’s Greater Grand Crossing community in a "business establishment" on the 500 block of East 75th Street, Chicago police said.

Community activist Jedidiah Brown told reporters that "the opposition" to those attending the memorial came through an alley before opening fire on the group of mourners. He added that the mother of the person being memorialized was also among the victims, though police have not confirmed that information.

A 12-year-old girl suffered a graze wound to the head from a bullet, police said, and was taken to Comer Children’s Hospital, where her condition had stabilized.

A 20-year-old woman shot in the right leg was taken to Stroger Hospital, where her condition had stabilized, police said.

A 43-year-old who was shot in the hand was also taken to Stroger Hospital, where her condition had stabilized, police said.

A 16-year-old boy shot in the neck and a 20-year-old woman shot in the left leg and buttock were taken to Christ Hospital, both in serious condition, according to police.

A 17-year-old boy was shot in the arm and took himself to Jackson Park Hospital, where his condition had stabilized, police said.

“I’m asking that those individuals who may see this, that are planning retaliation right now, that you stand down from that and that we look for peaceful alternatives,” Brown said.
Police vehicles were still parked in the street about 9:30 p.m. Yellow crime scene tape cordoned off the block as witnesses and neighbors stood in the cold.
See Inside Dick Portillo's Former Suburban Chicago Home
As of Wednesday night, no one was in custody and Area South detectives were investigating.

video at link
Source: 6 Shot at Memorial For Victim of Chicago Gun Violence | NBC Chicago http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/five-shot-park-manor-chicago-411822845.html#ixzz4WrwAoTwk

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Wow, that many people, and 0 deaths. Thank goodness. Chicago has some real problems. Wonder if sending FBI/CIA etc. in would help at this point.

weekev

Banned
Send in the feds?

Horrific, RIP the victims, really wish there was a rational person in control of your country so that events like this would lead to stricter gun controls.

Dalibor68

Banned
Insane. At least no fatalities, yet. Hope it stays that way.

What can realistically be done about this large amount of pointless bloodshed?

quickwhips

More stories like this and trump will send tanks into Chicago.

Which will probably make problems worse
I think tanks would be silly but I don't think they could get much worst. I bet crime would drop until they pull out then business as usual.

Might be cheaper to give money to move away

UberTag

Looks like Trump will have his excuse to bring tanks into Obama's hometown before he returns from his vacation in the British Virgin Islands after all.

Won't that be a pleasant surprise for him?

marrec

Banned

What certainly won't help is a federal escalation of violence. Gun control would be a good start, getting more, better trained cops into the streets to create a dialog between law enforcement and the communities and getting the worst and most intransigent offenders off the streets along with the guns.

It's a cycle a violence and you don't stop that cycle by introducing more violence. Like the Mr. Brown said:

“I’m asking that those individuals who may see this, that are planning retaliation right now, that you stand down from that and that we look for peaceful alternatives,”

Fox318

I think tanks would be silly but I don't think they could get much worst. I bet crime would drop until they pull out then business as usual.

Might be cheaper to give money to move away
Everything about Trump is optics he can sell to people on Fox and Friends and people who don't read past the headline.

Problems with border control and drug enforcment? Build a wall that won't fix the issue and will cost trillions.

Problems with gun violence in Chicago? Send in the Fed's.

Feds for Trump will be something that is loud and pompous and that will be the most cartoonish version of the military.

So I fully expect Trump to send in Tanks, Humvees, and APCs with checkpoints and stop and frisks of every person of color on every street corner.

Which doesn't fix the issues of poverty, gun control, and gang violence that is the root of this problem.

Viewt

The path to peace isn't insanely complicated - it's just not flashy or fast. We need to re-invest in these communities so that there are real economic opportunities, public schools with actual resources, and affordable housing all over the city to get Chicago truly integrated.

Nobody joins a gang and commits crime because it's awesome. A lack of options forces people into bad, desperate decisions, and once gang infrastructure takes hold, it can be impossible to break out of. For many of these kids, joining a gang isn't even an option. If you're from an area, you're automatically associated with a group. This stuff is self-perpetuating.

Nothing excuses murder, especially cases like this one, but we have to admit that this stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum. There's cause and effect.Every time we offer opportunity rather than apathy, people in high-violence communities, especially kids, thrive. But it means that the city has to admit fault in abandoning these communities to begin with.

But in our current political landscape, addressing the real problem seems depressingly unlikely.

UberTag

But in our current political landscape, addressing the real problem seems depressingly unlikely.
Nobody in a position of power right now WANTS to address real problems. They instead want to exploit and weaponize these problems to satisfy their own selfish ends.

And when this happens, we all lose.

Fox318

Nobody in a position of power right now WANTS to address real problems. They instead want to exploit and weaponize these problems to satisfy their own selfish ends.

And when this happens, we all lose.
Bingo

Democrats are no more innocent here.

Shadybiz

The path to peace isn't insanely complicated - it's just not flashy or fast. We need to re-invest in these communities so that there are real economic opportunities, public schools with actual resources, and affordable housing all over the city to get Chicago truly integrated.

Nobody joins a gang and commits crime because it's awesome. A lack of options forces people into bad, desperate decisions, and once gang infrastructure takes hold, it can be impossible to break out of. For many of these kids, joining a gang isn't even an option. If you're from an area, you're automatically associated with a group. This stuff is self-perpetuating.

Nothing excuses murder, especially cases like this one, but we have to admit that this stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum. There's cause and effect.Every time we offer opportunity rather than apathy, people in high-violence communities, especially kids, thrive. But it means that the city has to admit fault in abandoning these communities to begin with.

100%.

He wants to give jobs to Americans? Well...I think I know a good place to start.

Wow, what a new low. Why did they do this? What possible reason? Seems planned. Must be a reason surely.

No deaths... which is good. Some of them were shot in really weird places...

TheJLC

Happens regularly at vigils, wakes, and funerals of gang members. A lot of the times even the cop cars guarding the vigils take gun fire. But of course it never makes the national news until now that Trump is saying he will send in the Feds.

ChryZ

Birth control?

BAN IT!

Abortion?

BAN IT!

Gay marriage?

BAN IT!

Environment Protection Research?

BAN IT!

Guns?

Look, banning things never works. People will find ways to get them.

xBladeM6x

The important note of this is that it says Chicago's South Side. That it legit the only place where all the violence happens. The rest of the city is perfectly fine.

Also, fuck whoever did this.

LionPride

Banned
The important note of this is that it says Chicago's South Side. That it legit the only place where all the violence happens. The rest of the city is perfectly fine.

People don't want to fix it because it's isolated. Because corruption. Because poverty. But let people think sending in the feds to Southside will solve things

jond76

Banned
100%.

He wants to give jobs to Americans? Well...I think I know a good place to start.

Its a little more complicated than that. First you have to convince the people shooting each other that working a job is worth their time. Its way beyond "I'm in a gang because I have no job". To some its a preferred lifestyle choice. How do you change that mindset?

Looks like Trump will have his excuse to bring tanks into Obama's hometown before he returns from his vacation in the British Virgin Islands after all.

Won't that be a pleasant surprise for him?
Lol if I was reading that 500 years from now in a history book I'd be laughing my ass off. Too bad I live in the now.

Trump will likely adopt a rat's nest solution to this problem and target all the underprivileged households in the area. Straight from the Rudolph Giuliani playbook.

Shadybiz

Its a little more complicated than that. First you have to convince the people shooting each other that working a job is worth their time. Its way beyond "I'm in a gang because I have no job". To some its a preferred lifestyle choice. How do you change that mindset?

Sure, I agree that many may prefer that lifestyle, and other than better school systems (starting in kindergarten all the way through), and having a curriculum that actually works, I am not sure how to change that thinking. The criminal justice system could also use a massive overhaul...if you are convicted once, it can be extremely difficult to get a well-paying job afterwards (or ANY job), and some people feel they have no choice but to live that life. However, I am willing to bet that there are quite a few right now who would rather make an honest living, if given the choice. If a new jobs program reduced the violence by even half, I would say it did a pretty great job.

I'm not sure why that is an important note?

I grew up and use to live ~10 min. away from around where this happened. This problem is pretty personal to me as my parents have been living on the south side (and still do) for 40+ years. All I will say is that this is a sad situation.

LionPride

Banned

I grew up and use to live ~10 min. away from around where this happened. This problem is pretty personal to me as my parents have been living on the south side (and still do) for 40+ years. All I will say is that this is a sad situation.
It's important because people act like Chicago as a whole is some hellscape where everyone's dying, when most of the time it's isolated to one area, which then makes peopoe not care and not wanna help. Like I said, people know the issue and solution...

It's important because people act like Chicago as a whole is some hellscape where everyone's dying, when most of the time it's isolated to one area, which then makes peopoe not care and not wanna help. Like I said, people know the issue and solution...

Nevermind that there are other parts of the country with even bigger gun violence problems. Chicago is a scapegoat.

And whoever said bring the feds, pro tip: if Trump wants the same thing, that's a sign. The solution involves actual investment in the area and community. Look to the activists and orgs, not law enforcement. They have the solution.

Send money to the siuth side to invest in businesses and schools.

It's not hard to fix this problem. It's just going to take a few generations and it's easier to use it to make a political point rather than fix anything

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Wow, that many people, and 0 deaths. Thank goodness. Chicago has some real problems. Wonder if sending FBI/CIA etc. in would help at this point.

Have you thought about sending them into other cities that are worse than Chicago?

Javaman

I don't know how New York managed to totally gun around it's rampant violence in a couple of decades, but maybe Chicago should give that a try. Instead of federal troops, more money for more beat cops and massive fed investigations into corruption of the police would be a step in the right direction.

Rembrandt

Banned

Because the south side is segregated from the rest of Chicago with not shit there and the relocation from the housing setups to there has caused all types of trouble. They don't care because it doesn't hit where people actually travel so they neglect it.

Have you thought about sending them into other cities that are worse than Chicago?

I said this in the other thread and some people acted like Chicago was literally the worst city. People beat murder cases often in some parts of NO.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Help out, idk. They need something there. Shit's outta control

Help out by escalating the issues? There needs to be a plan involving education, economic stimulation, and improving living conditions. All things that the "feds" can help with, but that is a long-term, well thought out plan. Let's say you locked up/killed every person doing the shooting right now.

If you don't change the environment there, you will have a generation ready to take their place in a few years. But our president and honestly most people who point at Chicago aren't interested in that.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't know how New York managed to totally gun around it's rampant violence in a couple of decades, but maybe Chicago should give that a try. Instead of federal troops, more money for more beat cops and massive fed investigations into corruption of the police would be a step in the right direction.

NYC didn't do much to better the rampant violence. That violence rate declined world wide at the same time. Researchers are trying to find out why that's the case. There's been good info on this though.

And look at the murder rate in Chicago over the years, compared to other major cities in America and tell me what you think.

Murders-in-Major-Cities21.png

Murder-Rate-in-Major-Cities.png

Information is from http://www.factcheck.org/2016/07/dueling-claims-on-crime-trend/

I don't think this is CIA's field... and the FBI was supposed to already be working on gang violence I thought.

https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/violent-crime/gangs/violent-gang-task-forces

Illinois
Eastern Illinois Safe Streets Task Force
Hispanic Gang Task Force
Joint Task Force on Gangs - Tactical
Metro East Safe Streets Task Force
North Suburban Gang Task Force
Peoria Area Safe Streets Task Force
Quad Cities Federal Gang Task Force
Rockford Area Violent Gang Task Force
Safe Streets Task Force - WRA
Will County Violent Crimes Task Force