• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5.1 vs. 7.1 audio and next generation consoles :-)

evanft

7.1 was supported all the way back on the PS3. It's always been up to the developers on what format to support. I don't think the PS5 can do Atmos in games, though, which is very disappointing.

magnumpy

Dolby means nothing to me either than the fact that I know that it’s literally what they do as a business and that they’re the best in the business at it since it’s their whole business.

It surely can’t have been cheaper to develop a Atmos alternative in house.

great so we agree then :)

Tumle

I have 5.2.2.. we'll it’s actually 5.1.2 but have two subs, because the Sound With two Active subs is just More even 😊

THEAP99

Banned
7.1 is overrated as hell

Tried 3d audio with the platinums and it was okay.

I wonder how improved the ps-5 3D audio is and how it'll work with my hyper x alphas

Last edited:

Akuji

Cerny litterally goes and says they put alot of effort into Sound.
People : No Atmos label

lol thats whats wrong with hifi these days, its all about buzzwords and not actual performance.
If ur capable of German i highly reccomend "Hollywood Zuhause" YouTube channel. Good information about HiFi in generall.
If u want to dig deeper into 3D Sound, go and check out Grobi TV they do great work in that space.
Especially this is worth to watch, the video is in german but should be understandable for everyone with some key information.
They disabled all the lower speakers from a typical 7.1 System so only the Height speakers are activated, this way they can hear what sound actually comes from height speakers.

Dolby and DTS sucks

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
This is killing me. It looks like PS5 won't support Atmos and instead will use their own proprietary format.
Ooof. What the hell are they thinking?
You obviously haven’t heard 3D audio that is done right.
Everyone's heard virtual surround. It does not compare to actual surround or even 2.1.

Last edited by a moderator:

FrankWza

Everyone's heard virtual surround. It does not compare to actual surround or even 2.1.

its easier to get it done via headphones or headset. Most people that have “surround sound” are using a sound bar or HTIB. Not upfiring speakers or speakers in their ceilings and giant subs. They want to prioritize headphones because mostly that is what gamers use. Let’s wait and see what it sounds like on a speaker setup. Dts X conversion uses the atmos speakers so there’s a chance Sony has that covered as well. But 3d audio is convenient and excellent with headphones. And it’s much better than 2.1

Last edited:

Woffls

I’ll be going for 5.1 due to space limitations and not being convinced that any more is necessary.

I’ve been on stereo for years now due to living in small rented rooms in London so can’t wait to move into my new home. Will have Dali opticon 2 up front and zensor 1 behind then I’ll get a vokal for centre.

Need to replace my AV amp with a 4K low latency as well but stereo amp is more important to me so that’s the next part. Probably going to use arc anyway.

FrankWza

its easier to get it done via headphones or headset. Most people that have “surround sound” are using a sound bar or HTIB. Not upfiring speakers or speakers in their ceilings and giant subs. They want to prioritize headphones because mostly that is what gamers use. Let’s wait and see what it sounds like on a speaker setup. Dts X conversion uses the atmos speakers so there’s a chance Sony has that covered as well. But 3d audio is convenient and excellent with headphones. And it’s much better than 2.1
That lol^^^ is code for “ I have a HTIB :(

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You’re on 5.1 and 2.1. I get it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
For PS5 and headsets, any headset should work perfectly using only 2.0 channel stereo, like the HRTF-based samples you find on youtube.

Last edited:

Stooky

I used to be in 7.1 now I am in 5.1.2 Dolby atmos.
It’s amazing and better in my living room.
The sound is more dense.
Even with games without atmos my receiver emulate atmos. (Not as good though)
With next gen, at least on series X, more will be in atmos.
Next year I’ ll buy more speakers and go 5.2.4
I have 7.1 setup, trying to decide if I want to do a atmos ceiling speaker set.

dano1

A Sheep

Like I said if you haven’t heard it you probably shouldn’t comment. I have a awesome 5.1 system but it can’t do the effects REAL 3D audio can do! It’s not virtual surround

magnumpy

how do up-firing floor standing speakers do for the height channel?

obviously having speakers mounted above you would be ideal but unfortunately for now I am forced to live in the real world and being practical often wins the argument :eek:

Reallink

Cerny litterally goes and says they put alot of effort into Sound.
People : No Atmos label

lol thats whats wrong with hifi these days, its all about buzzwords and not actual performance.
If ur capable of German i highly reccomend "Hollywood Zuhause" YouTube channel. Good information about HiFi in generall.
If u want to dig deeper into 3D Sound, go and check out Grobi TV they do great work in that space.
Especially this is worth to watch, the video is in german but should be understandable for everyone with some key information.
They disabled all the lower speakers from a typical 7.1 System so only the Height speakers are activated, this way they can hear what sound actually comes from height speakers.

Dolby and DTS sucks

The audio engineer can put as much or as little into the height channels as they want. The Fast and the Furious' mix is the only problem they're demonstrating there, nothing to do with Atmos/DTS in general. The rest of the video is comparing the upmixers (i.e. the faked processing modes that attempt to upconvert 2D audio to 3D). The same applies there, Dolby/DTS can tune their algorithms to put as much or as little into the height channels as they want. They clearly chose to go with very sparing, specific, and subtle effects while Auro leans towards being an ambience reverbed duplication of the ground plane track. Which is better is going to be a personal preference that will likely vary with the type of content. It seems pretty clear that very little work and effort is going into native 3D Audio tracks because so few homes (and theaters) support it. Aside from avoiding licensing fees, I think the lack of user base factored heavily into Sony decision to omit Atmos and attempt to create their own processing only variety that does not use physical height channels. How it will turn it remains to be seen, they're apparently facing difficulties and delays (if they get it working at all).

Last edited:

vpance

how do up-firing floor standing speakers do for the height channel?

obviously having speakers mounted above you would be ideal but unfortunately for now I am forced to live in the real world and being practical often wins the argument :eek:

The effect is convincing, but you have to fiddle around with the placement to get it bouncing off the ceiling from the best angle.

I hope PS5 supports Atmos eventually. For the few years I've had it I've only gotten good uses out of it maybe a dozen times.

Tschumi

I don't think I will ever, in me entire life, have a speaker system consisting of any number of smaller speakers arranged around my couch and room. I think that's indulgent as all hell. I'll use headphones, or just TV speakers. Might plug in some nice speakers with a subwoofer one day, but just a traditional 2-box+sub setup.

FrankWza

I don't think I will ever, in me entire life, have a speaker system consisting of any number of smaller speakers arranged around my couch and room. I think that's indulgent as all hell. I'll use headphones, or just TV speakers. Might plug in some nice speakers with a subwoofer one day, but just a traditional 2-box+sub setup.

I think that’s why they’re trying to get tempest into as many gamers hands as possible by including access by just plugging in headphones to your dualsense. Most people are in this boat. But an atmos setup is pretty sweet, especially for movies. When you do get your setup, don’t skimp on your sub. ;)

it will probably support it for movies and convert it for games. You’ll still get heights and your screen won’t shrink.

also, they’re building it with headphones/headset support in mind. Caters to the multiplayer and headphones only crowd.

You say "probably" but I need to know "definitely" what formats it supports and how it handles heights before I buy a $600 console.

It seems insane that we don't have that information 3 weeks before launch.

FrankWza

You say "probably" but I need to know "definitely" what formats it supports and how it handles heights before I buy a $600 console.

It seems insane that we don't have that information 3 weeks before launch.

do you have it preordered? Because if you do just hang tight. If you don’t, the information will be available before you can get your hands on one anyway. going by dts x your heights will work. But it’s not going to say atmos on your receiver.

do you have it preordered? Because if you do just hang tight. If you don’t, the information will be available before you can get your hands on one anyway. going by dts x your heights will work. But it’s not going to say atmos on your receiver.

I'm trying to choose between the two consoles. I play on PC almost exclusively but my One X just died, so rather than buy a 4K Bluray player, I'd rather get a console that can play 4K discs and games too.

But I have a HT with Atmos, so having it available for blurays is actually my #1 criteria.

FrankWza

I'm trying to choose between the two consoles. I play on PC almost exclusively but my One X just died, so rather than buy a 4K Bluray player, I'd rather get a console that can play 4K discs and games too.

But I have a HT with Atmos, so having it available for blurays is actually my #1 criteria.

I hear you. Believe me. I’m hoping PS5 has DV or can at least patch it later. I think atmos will be available for the UHD player though. Just not for games bevy they want tempest used for their 3D audio. But yes, we still don’t know. Series x may already be confirmed to have itthough so you may have no choice if you don’t want to wait but I’m not sure it will have DV. To me, dts xand DV over atmos and no DV

hollams

Gold Member
Got a 5.2.4 setup and it's amazing for games and movies. I'm using a Denon receiver(4300H) and it does a great job of upmixing the 5.1 or or 7.1 to Dolby atmos. I used the Dolby Atmos windows app and turned off/on dolby on windows audio settings and I can't tell a difference between the 2. So the PS5 not having Atmos support shouldn't be that big of a deal if you have a decent receiver that can do the upmixing properly.

I went crazy this year and upgraded all of my speakers except the subs to Martin Logan Motion series and they sound unbelievable. For the subs I bought a mic and learned how to use REW to place and tune the subs and that led to a whole other level of crazy.

When my Dad came over for the first time to see my media room that has a 132" screen he was most impressed by the sound whirling around him than the big screen.

FrankWza

Got a 5.2.4 setup and it's amazing for games and movies. I'm using a Denon receiver(4300H) and it does a great job of upmixing the 5.1 or or 7.1 to Dolby atmos. I used the Dolby Atmos windows app and turned off/on dolby on windows audio settings and I can't tell a difference between the 2. So the PS5 not having Atmos support shouldn't be that big of a deal if you have a decent receiver that can do the upmixing properly.

I went crazy this year and upgraded all of my speakers except the subs to Martin Logan Motion series and they sound unbelievable. For the subs I bought a mic and learned how to use REW to place and tune the subs and that led to a whole other level of crazy.

When my Dad came over for the first time to see my media room that has a 132" screen he was most impressed by the sound whirling around him than the big screen.

sounds nice. But unless the source is atmos mix, you’re not getting an atmos ionic. It’s dts neural x probably. It may say atmos on your receiver but it isn’t atmos.

Last edited:
I was using 7.1, but eventually changed it to a 5.2 setup because there wasn’t really much that supported 7.1. Not only that, but my bedroom probably wasn’t exactly big enough to truly accommodate it.

Thought about trying Dolby Atmos since my AV Receiver supports it, but I’m not sure if it’s worth the trouble because I have my front channels bi-amped which seems to sound better to me.

FrankWza

I was using 7.1, but eventually changed it to a 5.2 setup because there wasn’t really much that supported 7.1. Not only that, but my bedroom probably wasn’t exactly big enough to truly accommodate it.

Thought about trying Dolby Atmos since my AV Receiver supports it, but I’m not sure if it’s worth the trouble because I have my front channels bi-amped which seems to sound better to me.

try a couple of speaker on top of your lr fronts. Worth a try. It should be easy especially if your fronts are bookshelves or floor standers

try a couple of speaker on top of your lr fronts. Worth a try. It should be easy especially if your fronts are bookshelves or floor standers

I’ll try that soon. Got a couple of big floor speakers in the front, so they should be able to hold something on the top. I heard Dolby Atmos at the store years ago, but never in my home. I might even have a movie or game that supports the format as well.

I used to be in 7.1 now I am in 5.1.2 Dolby atmos.
It’s amazing and better in my living room.
The sound is more dense.
Even with games without atmos my receiver emulate atmos. (Not as good though)
With next gen, at least on series X, more will be in atmos.
Next year I’ ll buy more speakers and go 5.2.4

I had a $1k+ 7.1 setup until last year when I had to downsize due to a move and wife wanting a “cleaner” tv room.

Went through half a dozen sound bars before landing on a LG 5.1.2 setup with surrounds. Quality isn’t anywhere close to being the same but Atmos>7.1 in almost every case.

Definitely interested to see how well the new hardware can pump out 3D audio since my cans are 100X nicer than my sound bar.

Were there that many games that actually ran at 5.1 or 7.1 last gen in the first place? (consoles)

Yes all Naughty Dog Games as well as every Sony first party exclusive support 7.1 Surround Sound. And pretty much every third party games is at least 5.1 as well. That's how most forms of entertainment are mastered. The rare exception was Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice which had Binaural Audio that was recorded with fake ear microphones so it works much better with headphones. If you play it on 5.1 the voices in her head only come from the front left and front right channels instead of surrounding you for some reason.

Inviusx

Just want to give a quick shout out to Uncharted 4 which I am playing for the first time this week and has the absolute best audio options of any game I've ever played.

If you have a good speaker set-up at home and haven't had many games to tinker with, this game is a beast. Naught Dog have some serious chops when it comes to this stuff.

Top Bottom