• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5.1 vs. 7.1 audio and next generation consoles :-)

magnumpy

there has been a lot of talk about TVs with regard to next gen consoles but what about the audio component? what about the speakers? this is perhaps a question for those with some greater experience here as I am new to the whole 7.1 world that is with regard to specifically the height channel. I realize there are steps beyond 7.1 like 9.2.4 or whatever but one step at a time heh ._.

I've seen some talk from Sony regarding 5.1 systems but I'm wondering if 7.1 will be supported or will this be up to the software developers, on a title by title basis? after being disappointed by soundbars and their pathetic tiny subwoofers I'm looking to step up my audio game. is there no help for me? am I doomed to be twisting in the wind of the wilderness for next generation sound systems on consoles? someone please provide me with some help here I'm feel so alone and scared D:

Tiamat2san

I used to be in 7.1 now I am in 5.1.2 Dolby atmos.
It’s amazing and better in my living room.
The sound is more dense.
Even with games without atmos my receiver emulate atmos. (Not as good though)
With next gen, at least on series X, more will be in atmos.
Next year I’ ll buy more speakers and go 5.2.4

Jaxcellent

Sony should get their act together and give me 5.1.2, i got this atmos setup but i never heard any games on it.. oh well at least ill get it on the Xsex

Akuji

Currently building my own home cinema. Plan to play a lot in it. Going for 7.dunno how many.2

I did build my first two surround speakers for 5.1 last weekend and I still feel like missing out. So gonna save up real fast and build 2 more surround speakers for 7.1 but probably not before Christmas. Generally A 5.1 set with good speakers is better then a 7.1 with lousy speakers.

So safe up some money and build the speakers yourself :D buying quality speakers is expansive af. Compared my ~800€ speakers with a few 1500€+ speakers and well. I would not trade. And the more cheaper you go the difference in sound quality and money spent gets only larger. My setup is based around TI 100 from Visaton. Love the sound of those. 2 of then in a 10L case each will Do fantastic in normal sized living rooms. Put Some good tweeters to it and you have a very good music experience already. Sure base is a bit lacking but only for movies or games. For those you should invest in a subwoofer anyway. Highly recommend to build the subwoofer yourself. What a 400€ sub delivers is ridiculous ... had 100€ Worth of material outperform well regarded 380€ subwoofers.

I know this is long and English isn’t my first language so yeah ... sry but I like this topic a lot :D

FMX

I have a Dolby Atmos setup myself and always preferred surround sound vs headphones. The key really is how much effort the developer wants to put into sound. Believe it or not Madden always has great surround sound. Some games are also designed for headphones to get the full experience. Hellblade is damn near a new experience with the headphones. Again it depends on how big of a part the dev wants the sound. It came be amazing or generic in nature.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Were there that many games that actually ran at 5.1 or 7.1 last gen in the first place? (consoles)

un1que

I used to be in 7.1 now I am in 5.1.2 Dolby atmos.
It’s amazing and better in my living room.
The sound is more dense.
Even with games without atmos my receiver emulate atmos. (Not as good though)
With next gen, at least on series X, more will be in atmos.
Next year I’ ll buy more speakers and go 5.2.4

which do you think would be better? 7.1.2 or 5.1.4? I’m looking to upgrade (just waiting for hdmi 2.1 amp with plenty of 2.1 inputs)
Do you have ceiling atoms speakers or the up firing?

Tickrate

It depends on your console choice and room setup as well as what type of content you plan to consume.
Series X supports Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, while Playstation does not (At least not Atmos).
Room acoustics and size will determine if a 2.1 / 5.1 / 7.1 and so on makes sense for you.
Don't splash out a lot of cash if you won't be able to reap the benefits.

Last edited:

magnumpy

Were there that many games that actually ran at 5.1 or 7.1 last gen in the first place? (consoles)

not sure about specific titles, but this is definitely supported by sony

Your PS4™ system automatically selects the best audio format for connected devices. It is usually not necessary to change these settings.
When you connect a device such as an AV amplifier for a home theater to the DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) port, you can select the audio format(s) that the connected device supports. To select the audio format(s), select (Settings) > [Sound and Screen] > [Audio Output Settings] > [Primary Output Port] > [DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL)].

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
5.1 vs 7.1 was always super underwhelming tbh.

Dolby atmos however... :messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts:

Last edited:

Rikkori

You can generally find 5.1 vs 7.1 info here on a per-game basis: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Home

Personally I wouldn't really recommend 7.1 over 5.1, there's less support and it doesn't add much extra. The next step after 5.1 should be 5.1.2, that WILL make a difference but only in limited titles which support such configs.

Sadly audio still has a LOT of maturing to do for gaming, surround sound sorta tops out at 5.1 in general and anything beyond that is limited in usefulness OR has limited support. Hopefully with next-gen's Atmos push on Xbox that will change, but who knows.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I have a Dolby Atmos setup myself and always preferred surround sound vs headphones. The key really is how much effort the developer wants to put into sound. Believe it or not Madden always has great surround sound. Some games are also designed for headphones to get the full experience. Hellblade is damn near a new experience with the headphones. Again it depends on how big of a part the dev wants the sound. It came be amazing or generic in nature.

I am playing Death Stranding now and that maybe has the best sound I've ever heard in a game.

I'm using a 5.1 system but plan to get atmos speakers next year.

MDSLKTR

5.1.2 team here. Got my sony earc DH790 receiver ready, polk wall speakers in the mail and all the hdmi 2.1 wires with concealers kits to play with.
PS5 doesn't support atmos which is whack, one of the reasons why I'm going xbox for cyberpunk.

I’ve got a now ancient Panasonic 5.1 system which still does the job nicely so I will continue to stick with it. But I might get some headphones too for Atmos. Maybe that will help me stop getting shot in the back all the time in shooter games.

KevinHelpUs

Neo Member
There's not enough games that support Atmos or even 7.1. They're great for cinema, but 5.1 support is as far as the majority of games go. (There are enough with 7.1 that you may as well get that.) I'm really enjoying Atmos, but there's not enough gaming content to make the purchase worthwhile just for that.

recursive

I mean I know that but most games I played felt flat when I used a 5.1 system vs a 2.1 system. Hell most games didn't even output sound from the center speaker.
This isn't true at all.. Some indie games did not support surround but in my experience most games on ps4 and xbox had surround sound. Going back to the ps3 xbox 360 gen most games did then too.. You may want to check your setup.

Tiamat2san

which do you think would be better? 7.1.2 or 5.1.4? I’m looking to upgrade (just waiting for hdmi 2.1 amp with plenty of 2.1 inputs)
Do you have ceiling atoms speakers or the up firing?
I think it’s a matter of personal preference.
For me I guess 5.1.4.
When the sound comes the atmos speakers it’s like you are in the middle of sphere compared to be in the middle of a circle with 5.1 or 7.1.
In movies the difference is exceptional .
In games Gears 5 is the better exemple.
During the ice storms and wind/sand storms it’s just fucking impressive.
When you are in the middle of a fire fight, you hear bullets flying around you. In caves or indoors... the echo.

i can’t wait to play more games with atmos baked in.

i am in 5.1.2 so it’s still not a perfect sphere, I miss some sounds above/rear.
I will buy new atmos rear speakers next year.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
This isn't true at all.. Some indie games did not support surround but in my experience most games on ps4 and xbox had surround sound. Going back to the ps3 xbox 360 gen most games did then too.. You may want to check your setup.
As I said I don't think it was true 5.1. I went back to 2.1.

un1que

For me I guess 5.1.4.
When the sound comes the atmos speakers it’s like you are in the middle of sphere compared to be in the middle of a circle with 5.1 or 7.1.
When you are in the middle of a fire fight, you hear bullets flying around you. In caves or indoors... the echo.

i am in 5.1.2 so it’s still not a perfect sphere, I miss some sounds above/rear.

Not gonna lie you’re really selling it. Lol. Do you have ceiling speakers or the up firing ones? Which is best?

Blood Borne

I wonder if Dolby Atmos (7.1.2) is supported. Recently experienced it and it was amazing, a bigger jump than 5.1 to 7.1

Venuspower

Yes. Pretty much every game has support for 7.1.
There are only two games that come to my mind that
do not have support for 7.1: GTA V and RDR2. Those are limited to 5.1 which is
a shame.

Just make sure that the console outputs audio via HDMI and PCM is selected
in the audio settings. This way you get 7.1 PCM.

If DD or DTS are selected you will be limited to compressed 5.1.
Which is one of the reasons why it is not recommended to use DTS/DD for gaming. Always
make sure to use PCM.

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

Not gonna lie you’re really selling it. Lol. Do you have ceiling speakers or the up firing ones? Which is best?
The ones directed up.
When I’ll replace my rear speakers I’ll take columns speakers with integrated up speakers.
It will be more convenient to install, especially since my wire/cable management is terrible 😕.
I rent my appartement so ceiling speakers were not possible.

With my wife we will buy an appartement in the end of 2021 or early 2022.
Then I’ll invest money on sound isolation and put ceiling speakers.
It’s easier to install everything when the room is empty.

édit: i sell computer (mostly gaming pc) it’s my job to make people buy high stuffs 🤣

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
For me I guess 5.1.4.

I second 5.1.4 over 7.1.2. Unless you have an absolutely massive room.

Last edited:
I’d say get GOOD speakers, that’s the key. Don’t get 6 or 8 cheapo speakers. You can always expand later if you start smart.

This is what I would do:

-Budget under $200: get headphones or save money until you have...
-$500-$600: get a pair of decent speakers. This will destroy a $500 surround set in quality and feel, even if it’s ”only” stereo. You can expand later. You also need an amp or possibly could look into active speakers.

I wouldn’t buy a 5.1 surround setup if I couldn’t invest at least $2500 (including a receiver and a subwoofer). I feel like this is where you get good quality, but the returns will start diminishing the more you pay after this point. Just my opinion of course. obviously everything depends on your needs and your room. You can buy cheaper if you like, but if you invest in quality now it will last you for decades. My speakers are 15 years old and I am still 100% satisfied with them. They were in the $300-$400 ballpark per speaker, so nothing outrageous. It’s amazing how much enjoyment I’ve gotten from them, and I will continue using them in the future, and if I want to upgrade to Atmos I’ll just buy a new receiver and more speakers.

A.Romero

I think 7.1 never really picked up and now is being abandoned in favour of Atmos and DTS:X.

If you have a good receiver, it can upmix the signal you are getting to whatever set up you prefer. It's not as great as native but at least it's an option if you want to use all your setup.

I wouldn't count on 7.1 being a popular format for next gen consoles but I think Atmos could get there. Battlefield with Atmos sounds amazing.

To me, 5.1 is the minimum. Also, I would prefer to have a decent 5.1 set up with nice speakers than having more channels with lower specced speakers. Personally, I'd recommend Elac B6. Reasonable price for very versatile and high quality sound.

Anki

Banned
I am still using 5.0 surround, i was planing to get subwoofer but i changed my mind. Not sure if it’s worth it, my speakers sound good to me.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
The importance of a game actually being 7.1 or even Atmos is overstated in my opinion. A good processor or receiver with adequate speakers will narrow that gap between native 5.1 and 7.1 material through matrixing/up mixing whatever you want to call it.

I run a 7.2.2 setup in my house and when I feed it native 5.1 or 7.1 material the receiver still makes sure that all of the speakers remain in use and provides a convincing mix.

Having 7 or more speakers IS important. Feeding it a native 7 speaker + signal is less so.

Paulxo87

I'm 5.2 Sony core series but the receiver can support 7.2 and atmos..

Don't skimp on a second sub! 50% greater slam effect plus the quality of the bass is just better.

Akuji

multiple subwoofers are not always better. if u have a budget of lets say 1000€/$ it might be better to go for one good one instead of two for half the price. The lower you go on sound ( 20hz - 35hz ) the more important becomes raw power that the subwoofer can deliver. If u go higher ( music rarely goes under 40hz and stays around 50hz-60hz alot ) the more important it becomes that your driver can play accuratly and has good dynamic range.

As i did write above, subwoofers are the worst hifi part to buy new and shiny, massivly overpriced since many people want to feel that BASEEEE but dont know what a good subwoofer actually does. In a subwoofer ther needs to be a driver ( the thing that moves the air ) a GOOD Case for the driver to sit in. Plastic is a no go in any high quality spekaer and is only for 10-30€/$ speakers. Your best bet is to go for a Wood Case, make sure to check the thiccness. A subwoofer Case needs to be sturdy for the driver to play good because vibrations potentially destroy your sound quality. A subwoofer that plays directly to the ground CAN be fine, but you need a very solid floor. its better to have the subwoofer play into the room from my expierience. The place where a subwoofer needs to be is mostly underrated. The subwoofer needs a good place to play nicely like every other speaker but its true that its harder to tell where the subwoofer is from only listening. The deeper frequency the harder it becomes. Sub Range normally is 80hz down to whatever he actually can do. Most subwoofers stop playing at like ~35-40hz which is great for music but not low enough for a really cinematic movie expierience.
The bigger the membran that moves the air potentially the deeper the subwoofer can play, how much this membran can move forward and backward is important as well. So what volume of Air the Subwoofer can move.

A nice trick to find out where to put your subwoofer is to place your subwoofer into your listening position and then play some base heavy stuff. Crawl around the the Floor, whereever you got a good listening expierience, place the subwoofer at that place. make sure to check diffrent angles the woofer plays. a bit to the left a bit to the right etc. also this is not a 100% perfect solution. If not statisfied dont deny your expierience, try another position. Most subwoofers i encountered in a living room did pretty much nothing to the expierience, make sure you use your investment the right way. Decent Speakers that stand are usually enough for Music depending on the size of the speakers ( drivers ) and the size of your room.

In every situation your speaker setup is only one half of your listening expierience, sound is extremly dependent on the room your actually playing Music. The harder the material the sound touches, the more it reflects sound. The softer the more it absorbs. In 95%+ of living rooms you got too much reflection and not enough absorption. While Absorber work pretty well, they take alot of place and may not fit the look of your room. But in a living room there are also alot of things that absorb sound, your couch for example probably absorbs pretty well Curtains as well. Maybe a carpet not only where you sit but to your TV and to your speakers as well. Critical palces to check for a bit of absorption would be the first reflection places. To find out where they are have someone move a mirror around near the walls, while you sit in your listening expierience. When you can see the drivers in your speakers you get direct reflection to your head. If possible try to get some soft materials to block those first reflections. A living room needs to be a place where you enjoy being. so dont overdo it but also consider how much nicer talking becomes in a room that has less echo. This is also quality in a room that many dont consider. For a general rule, the thiccer the absorption Material the more of the frequency curve you actually cover. That means a Curtain blocks high pitch noises but mid or low frequencies are not absorbed at all. Thats why a couch is such a great thing in a living room. You want around 40cm of thiccness for good base absorption. Not really possible but just as an informer... yeah if some of you guys want some advice, im no expert but im invested into this hobby for quite some time. If you provide me pictures or give me a layout of the room im happy to look into it to maybe help with something i picked up over the years. Im not good in telling you what speakers to buy. While its true that diffrent people enjoy diffrent speakers, pretty much everyone enjoys "better" speakers. There is alot of crap which i also buyed and spent money on. Nowadays i build speakers myself which resulted in actually hating all the Speaker companies since generally you get so shitty quality. In Germany we have Teufel and Bose which are the worst offenders, but you can generally go with "the more ad money they use, the worse their product are"

This is killing me. It looks like PS5 won't support Atmos and instead will use their own proprietary format.

I play games in a full home theater with a 120" 4K screen and a 5.1.2 Atmos system. I would rather buy a PS5 than an XBox Series X (for exclusives, I mostly game on PC) but if Sony doesn't have Atmos, I'm not buying it.

CuNi

Decent stereo towers.
Had a 5.1 System and imho it wasn't worth it in my room so I saved up some more money and downgraded to a stereo setup again but a good one instead.
All comes down to how much space you have available to place all those speakers and if you have the money to get a good setup. A good Stereo setup can be better than a cheap 5.1 Setup.

MrFunSocks

Banned
This is killing me. It looks like PS5 won't support Atmos and instead will use their own proprietary format.

I play games in a full home theater with a 120" 4K screen and a 5.1.2 Atmos system. I would rather buy a PS5 than an XBox Series X (for exclusives, I mostly game on PC) but if Sony doesn't have Atmos, I'm not buying it.
Sony doesn’t have Atmos and never will. They’re trying to push their own proprietary solution for some bizarre reason. It’s like if they all of a sudden didn’t support the HDR standards and instead decided to make their own HDR that does the exact same thing. It makes no sense other than they don’t want to pay the licensing fee.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Sony doesn’t have Atmos and never will. They’re trying to push their own proprietary solution for some bizarre reason. It’s like if they all of a sudden didn’t support the HDR standards and instead decided to make their own HDR that does the exact same thing. It makes no sense other than they don’t want to pay the licensing fee.

It's more like they decided to make their own HDR and made one that doesn't work on OLED TVs. Their format isn't supporting speakers at launch.

If you're going to be cheap bastards and roll your own, at least do it correctly.

MrFunSocks

Banned
U guys need to check what atmos is. Sony can take the advantage of height speakers or use objective based sound without any need of dts x atmos or auro...
No we don’t. Atmos is the industry standard. Nobody is saying that you can’t do the same thing without Atmos, but why make your own solution to something that has already been solved by the experts that specialise in that?

magnumpy

No we don’t. Atmos is the industry standard. Nobody is saying that you can’t do the same thing without Atmos, but why make your own solution to something that has already been solved by the experts that specialise in that?

well one reason would be because it's potentially cheaper for the same effect; not picking any favorites here but the brand name factor of "dolby" matters approximately zero to me, but I'm just weird like that ._.

Last edited:

GrayDock

I'm with a 5.1.2 and can't recommend enough. Good for games, but awesome for movies.
I already have the other 2 atmos speakers on ceiling, but I'm waiting for a not too much expensive recevier with 2+ 2.1 hdmi inputs and 5.1.4 atmos suport to make the upgrade.

MrFunSocks

Banned
well one reason would be because it's potentially cheaper for the same effect; not picking any favorites here but the brand name factor of "dolby" matters approximately zero to me, but I'm just weird like that ._.
Dolby means nothing to me either than the fact that I know that it’s literally what they do as a business and that they’re the best in the business at it since it’s their whole business.

It surely can’t have been cheaper to develop a Atmos alternative in house.

FrankWza

it will probably support it for movies and convert it for games. You’ll still get heights and your screen won’t shrink.

U guys need to check what atmos is. Sony can take the advantage of height speakers or use objective based sound without any need of dts x atmos or auro...

also, they’re building it with headphones/headset support in mind. Caters to the multiplayer and headphones only crowd.

Top Bottom