• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4chan: Sekiro 2 Will Be Announced at The Game Awards 2022

Have been playing through the first one recently and would actually welcome a second. I think there's a lot of potential in the first game, but it's not quite there yet. It feels very small compared to other FROM games, with a lot of recycled content past the mid-game. You have to fight Juzuo the Drunkard like four times to get all the Prayer Beads, while almost every other boss and sub-boss appears twice. Shinobi prosthetics felt like under-developed gimmicks for the most part and the upgrade tree didn't do a great deal to expand on them - the difference between the Shuriken you pick up in the first half-hour of the game and the Lazulite Shuriken you can craft end-game is barely noticeable, despite five consecutive upgrades. Likewise with the skill tree - while some feel transformative, a lot of them are a big shrug (especially for how much they can end up costing late-game). It also incentivises grinding in a bizarre way. Losing half your accrued skill with each death means that if you're sitting on a bunch of XP before a boss you have to go grind out scrub enemies to bank the whole point, or basically lose the majority in two or three deaths. Same issue with Spirit Emblems - unless you grind early and bank a bunch while they're cheap, you'll have to go and farm them later, which just dis-incentivizes their use. Would have made way more sense to auto-fill them like a gourd at the Sculptor's Idol.

There is a lot to like though and some really cool ideas - it just needs more work, more development as a concept and, I would say, more balancing: late bosses feel less like a skill check and more like a pattern learning exercise. Knowing which type of perilous attacks follow from which combos so you can respond effectively. It makes it so that you'll go from being pummelled in your first attempt to finishing with reserves in your last run, not because your skill has shot through the roof, but because you knew every attack, how to respond and when to punish.

Prosthetics are for style. Watch ONGBAL on YouTube.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I love the game. The one game that doesn’t need a sequel is Sekiro. I can’t even imagine a prequel. I read the Hanbei manga and I still don’t think it needs a sequel. That’s incredibly creative if it’s true, but it’s probably someone trolling the fans.

Holammer

"Bane of Disuptant" sounds like someone who barely spoke any English came up with a title they though sounded really cool and then just plugged it into Google Translate.
It's on point, Miyazaki loves to dig deep into the Old English dictionary for archaic hoity-toity ye olde words to sprinkle all over his souls games.
Burg, Gaol, Belfry, Accord, Betwixt, Copse, Prate, Prithee, Xanthous. Yes, those are everyday words right?

If you check the etymology of the word it could mean something along the lines of 'Death of the Contender', so if the DLC is arena based, fk'n called it.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Enough, it's time to kill those generic Souls-like trash games
Make a sequel for some of the below franchises already:

Metal_Wolf_Chaos_cover.png
Kuon_NA_cover.jpg
Shadow_Tower_Abyss.jpg

57370_front.jpg
D_NQ_NP_10543-MLB5671934136_012014-O.jpg
51H0FNE4SJL._AC_.jpg

s-l640.jpg
i am very confident you have played none of these games

I made a big mistake in Sekiro, got all the way to the final boss and then life kicked in - had to drop games for a while. I came back to try and face him and just got wrecked over and over, maybe got to his second phase.
I'm out of spirit emblems, so not sure if I should just start the whole game over or try to farm them and grind out the final boss. It's the only recent souls game from Demon's onward that I haven't finished and it bugs me.

Juza

What I do know is that Sekiro 2 has been in development for quite some time, but I don't think they got to a point where they could reveal it? idk.

I made a big mistake in Sekiro, got all the way to the final boss and then life kicked in - had to drop games for a while. I came back to try and face him and just got wrecked over and over, maybe got to his second phase.
I'm out of spirit emblems, so not sure if I should just start the whole game over or try to farm them and grind out the final boss. It's the only recent souls game from Demon's onward that I haven't finished and it bugs me.

I'd go through some previous areas again, taking out mobs to get used to the controls, then face some of the big bosses through the remembrance (?) function.

I had the same situation with the corrupted monk's proper form. I had to take six months out, came back to it determined to get past it. Took maybe an hour to get back into the groove. I didn't touch the monk until I felt ready, then took it out second go.

Last edited:
You say that as if

This fuckers name is Dragonlord Placidusax.
It's on point, Miyazaki loves to dig deep into the Old English dictionary for archaic hoity-toity ye olde words to sprinkle all over his souls games.
Burg, Gaol, Belfry, Accord, Betwixt, Copse, Prate, Prithee, Xanthous. Yes, those are everyday words right?

If you check the etymology of the word it could mean something along the lines of 'Death of the Contender', so if the DLC is arena based, fk'n called it.
The problem here isn't the word, it's that no native speaker would use it without an accompanying article like "a" or "the". This is a really common mistake to make for speakers of languages like Russian that lack articles altogether.

Last edited:

stn

Hope so! Also, I think that TGA pic is legit. If its fake, why would someone design a fake logo for Turok, of all games. Seems like lots of effort for nothing. I'm calling real.

Hope so! Also, I think that TGA pic is legit. If its fake, why would someone design a fake logo for Turok, of all games. Seems like lots of effort for nothing. I'm calling real.
I think the more pressing question is why would that TGA pic even exist? Why would the people in charge of the event make something like that? Who is it for?

near

Gold Member
I wanted DLC with Lady Tomoe and access to the Black Mortal Blade, but that never happened. Having said that, I don't think this game needs a sequel at all, and would rather From create something entirely new or continue to expand Elden Ring with DLC.

BbMajor7th

it has no typical souls like mechanics. you don't lose all your XP, you can't retrieve what you lose, it has barely any real RPG mechanics... it's not a souls like
Honestly, I'd disagree. While the combat is very distinct, the progression is quite Souls-y once you peel away the abstractions. Most of the same things are scaling as you'd find in souls: vitality, stamina, strength, luck, healing charges, healing potency, mana, they're just spread across different mechanical structures, like memories, prayer beads, passive skills, gourd seeds, etc. The only difference, as SantaC, pointed out, is that you're only working towards a single optimised build with all your armour and weapons options replaced by skills and prosthetic tools.

Souls were never 'real' RPGs in any sense anyway, as all the options are combat rather than character driven.

Banned
Honestly, I'd disagree. While the combat is very distinct, the progression is quite Souls-y once you peel away the abstractions. Most of the same things are scaling as you'd find in souls: vitality, stamina, strength, luck, healing charges, healing potency, mana, they're just spread across different mechanical structures, like memories, prayer beads, passive skills, gourd seeds, etc. The only difference, as SantaC, pointed out, is that you're only working towards a single optimised build with all your armour and weapons options replaced by skills and prosthetic tools.

Souls were never 'real' RPGs in any sense anyway, as all the options are combat rather than character driven.

the standout gameplay element of souls like games is the souls mechanic... you die, you lose all your souls and you then have to get them back and only have 1 chance to do so.

as soon as this is gone, a game is no longer a souls like, as this is literally the only unique feature of these games.
now you strip away all the RPG elements, armors and weapons, and you no longer have anything left that the Souls series brought to the table.

so it definitely is not a Souls-like.

Just like a game is no longer a Rogue-like if you take away the "start over again after you die" aspect.
Or if you strip away locked areas that you open up by items and abilities you acquire in a semi-open map with interconnected paths and you no longer have a Metroidvania.
you could literally have a game with all of Samus' abilities, but if those aspects are missing it's not a Metroidvania.

subgenres like these are defined by very specific things, and that very specific thing in Souls-like games happens to be losing souls/xp/currency and having 1 chance at getting your stuff back until you lose them forever. and Sekiro does not have this subgenre defining mechanic.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I love Sekiro, but I wish I could play the game in the awesome DLC outfits without having to practically beat the game first.

MiguelItUp

Wasn't there a ton of rumors regarding a new Armored Core for awhile? I never really heard where it went, but at the time it seemed fairly possible.

I'd love a Sekiro 2, but man, I dunno, haha.

BbMajor7th

the standout gameplay element of souls like games is the souls mechanic... you die, you lose all your souls and you then have to get them back and only have 1 chance to do so.
Never heard anyone make that argument before and, honestly, after beating every game in the series, multiple times, when I think of souls, I don't think, 'oh, the games where you run back top pick up your experience'. In any case, the principle is almost identical in both: in Souls, if you die, you drop your currency and get one chance to recover it or lose that amount forever; in Sekiro, if you die, you get one chance to resurrect and either run or fight before you lose a chunk forever. In both, the scale of the loss is dependent on how much you're carrying: risk/reward. In both games, boss arenas are a hard lock: in Souls, if you drop Souls in a boss arena, the only way to recover them is to keep returning and collecting until you win, in Sekiro, if you die a second time, or before you can recharge your resurrect, you'll lose a half of anything your carrying, but the loss gets exponentially smaller with each failure.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Sekiro is one of the best games of all time - but it doesnt need a sequel.
The original stands on its own and can be replayed for an eternity.
Waste of resources and time.

From Software needs to make a new Armored Core - hopefully and finally playable with a smooth framerate.

For me I can enjoy both difficult games and easy games as long as enjoying its core gameplay and Sekiro was FUUUUUUUN! in my opinion it has one of the best sword combat in gaming it give me same type of thrill when I watched Sword of Stranger's final fight.

This is the thing I really love about Sekiro. It actually makes you feel like an action-movie samurai/ninja. Fromsoft took the core design of the combat in their DarkSoul Games, which have honestly gotten tired at this point, and with a few near genius changes to the parry mechanics and the shifted focus on posture/death blows they actually made you feel like a masterful swordsman.

Top Bottom