• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

400 Millions with the first try( Uncharted movie)

Valt7786

It was decent as far as popcorn/video game movies go to be fair. Holland was still the wrong choice for Drake and they kinda blew their load doing set pieces from 3 and 4 in one go.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I don't think anyone is stunned by the box office, simply disappointed at it being translated into "another popcorn action flick." Don't get me wrong UNCHARTED: The Video Game is totally "popcorn media. . ." but it knows that it is. UC: The Movie just feels like every other action adventure flick. If they lean into the "Scooby Gang" vibes of the actual games (well the first three) I would have been all for it.

. . .honestly just a missed opportunity if you ask me.

VN1X

Banned
Sony propaganda. This movie stinks.

That Halo TV shows did as well btw.

Videogames are finished!

• Surprised
Reactions: Fuz
200.gif

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I thought it was "fine" loved the Nolan North cameo and made me wish they'd made a short with him in it. He looked great.

MastaKiiLA

Good movie. It wasn't made for game fans specifically, because we're not numerous enough, and haven't done a good job of supporting past adaptations. They have to target the mass market, and I think they did a great job. It was enjoyable, and the cast is young enough to make a good run of sequels. Sony opened the pocketbook for cast and production crew. I'm glad this was a success.

Fredrik

Thought it would suck but I actually liked it, Spidey worked since it was the young Nate era. Maybe too much comedy but I had fun.
Marky Mark was a bigger problem, Sully should be taller, darker voice too, but in the end I had adjusted to it.

squallheart

Saw it yesterday quite enjoyed it. Love the uncharted games so went in as it being not tied to it lol. I still feel they should of had someone else as drake and sully but oh well. Also the one person making this movie they got rid of >.<

kingfey

Banned
Sony needs outside writers.
Whoever thought tom was good as Nathan, must have been smoking good.
If there is a next installment, please put a new writer and new actor for Nathan.

No hate for Tom, but his baby face makes it hard to imagine him as a Nathan.

Wohc

Banned
I think it's quite enjoyable with some beer and exactly this is why movies like this or fast&furious are so succesful: People simply want to relax without too much thinking, some action, some cheesy jokes and they are happy.

sainraja

The movie was entertaining. What are people expecting movies to be nowadays? lol
And if movies is the only place you go so you have to "think" a little....well, I think you've probably got other things to focus on first.

Last edited:

Fredrik

If there is a next installment, please put a new writer and new actor for Nathan.

Did you see it? I think he works well as young Nate, this is the era when he meet Sully, he’s still young. Sully was a bigger problem.

Except Tom Holland was one of the reasons for the movie to be a hit in the first place. Imagine Nathan Fillion as Drake. The movie would bomb with a 120M budget, lmao.

This movie did more than Black Widow, around the same numbers as Dune and Eternals...and not much less than Shang Chi. And without costing 200M like most of these. It actually costed almost half of that (120M)

No way around it...it's a hit.

Hopefully the next movie will be planned with PlayStation Productions...this first one has that branding but the movie wasn't planned by them since it hadn't been created when they started planning the movie.

This has to be encouraging Sony to pursue more of these projects. We got TLOU, God of War and Twisted Metal as TV shows...and Ghost of Tsushima and Jak & Daxter (rumor) as a movie in development.

yurinka

Nice. Let's hope that for the sequel they make a proper cast and hire actors who look like very similar to the game characters.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Good casting, tom holland attracts crowds and has legs because he's young still, so this franchise could theoratically be the new indiana jones.

Watched the movie tho, didn't really like it.

mitch1971

Watched about15-20 minutes and turned it off. Absolute garbage. It was like Mattel made a movie.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Watched 15 minutes and turned it off. Absolute garbage.
How much did you see in 15 minutes? Can’t have been much more than the airplane start and the kid years flashback. It gets better. I had some issues with the introduction of both Sully and Chloe, Sam as well, too good-looking lol, the casting clearly has issues, but otherwise I thought it was an entertaining treasure hunter movie with some cool action.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
Would that make it the most successful video game movie? I’m pretty sure the Tomb Raider ones with Angelina Jolie made less, and for a long time those were said to be the most successful game movies. Not sure about the Sonic movie though, that might have made more. Can’t really think of another movie adaptation that would be in the same ballpark…

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
How much did you see in 15 minutes? Can’t have been much more than the airplane start and the kid years flashback. It gets better. I had some issues with the introduction of both Sully and Chloe, Sam as well, too good-looking lol, the casting clearly has issues, but otherwise I thought it was an entertaining treasure hunter movie with some cool action.
In hindsight, I understand the casting choices though.

Gamers would have loved Nathan Fillion, but then would it really have crossed $400 million? I don't think so. With such a high budget, they wanted commercially successful actors.

In Sony's defense, they did approach Chris Pratt to play Nathan Drake (who'd have been my #1 choice as well. The guy was made for this role). He declined. So the role went to Tom Holland.

And now that the film is successful, the financial success of the first film ensures this can survive and sustain as a new franchise. Both Tom Holland and Mark Wahlberg are young for their characters, so with each sequel, they will grow more and more to become the Nate and Sully we are familiar with.

It seems the general audience liked the movie and only the video game funs had issues with Sullivan mustache and baby Drake.

Ps: hopefully the embedded is looking normal (first time using it).

This shitty movie made as much as a masterpiece like Mad Max Fury Road. Its a tale as old as time, just because something is good doesn't mean it'll be popular and just because something is bad doesn't mean it won't break records.

Nice. Let's hope that for the sequel they make a proper cast and hire actors who look like very similar to the game characters.
But why an Adaption has to have actors that resemble exactly the game looks? If the story,action and acting is good or some combination of these then maybe it doesn't matter who is the actor that plays the character. As for Tom, he is not the best actor but he will evolve, if he sits in his home he won't become great. He needs to practice to be better, the same applies to you. Think when you started your job, were you the best or you honed your skills with years of doing it. People are too critical of him.

Fredrik

In hindsight, I understand the casting choices though.

Gamers would have loved Nathan Fillion, but then would it really have crossed $400 million? I don't think so. With such a high budget, they wanted commercially successful actors.

In Sony's defense, they did approach Chris Pratt to play Nathan Drake (who'd have been my #1 choice as well. The guy was made for this role). He declined. So the role went to Tom Holland.

And now that the film is successful, the financial success of the first film ensures this can survive and sustain as a new franchise. Both Tom Holland and Mark Wahlberg are young for their characters, so with each sequel, they will grow more and more to become the Nate and Sully we are familiar with.
Pratt wouldn’t have worked as young Nate, he’s almost as old as me and I’m gray. They would’ve needed a whole other story. As I see it this was rewritten parts from Uncharted 3, the younger years. If they make another one where he’s the experienced treasure hunter in the mid to late 30s from the games they need another actor, I doubt Tom Holland will age fast enough to play that role.

The worst thing to be said about it is it's a good but still average movie with a decent set of actors even if miscast for my own personal taste. It earned it's success.

Top Bottom