• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4 Million People have played Ghostwire Tokyo

Draugoth

Gold Member

FvXzDAEXsAAumU3

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I love it. It does get repetitive, but I'm still enjoying it.

The mix of melee / platforming / unconventional projectiles feels like Breakdown. Just one of those weird 1st person games that doesn't really neatly fit into a genre.

The art style is great. It's like what I imagine Shin Megami Tensei looking like if they ever made a 1st person action spin-off; complete with the hybrid mixture of Shinto magic meets digitization effects. Then add in the Tokyo tourism angle; just fun for fans of Japanese culture to look around the city, pick up collectibles and engage in the side quests. Add in another layer of horror imagery from their Evil Within roots.

The game is just addicting to play. Very retro design in some ways, like an old school collectathon game.

Last edited:

Skifi28

A game that didn't seem all that interesting to me, but I played it since it was "free" on PS extra. The first couple of hours were quite meh and i thought my original assessment was correct, but the more I played the more I actually enjoyed it. Now I'd like to finish it, but unfortunately performacne on PS5 is quite poor in pretty much all modes so I'm waiting to resume playing when my new GPU arrives.

Fbh

Seems low considering it's both on Ps+ extra and gamepass.
But the game itself is great, I went into it with low expectations but have really enjoyed my time with it. Yeah it's a bit repetitive, the world design is nothing special and it almost feel like a collectathon. But I find the world and the creatures in it really compelling, it has nice pacing, fun sidequests and the combat is simple yet fun

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Need to go back to it. Really liked it's setting and vibe.

I started playing it on January but then an avalanche of really good games came out, and well, I dropped it :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

Last edited:

mdkirby

Bit repetitive, but was a decent game with some fun ideas, better writing, less filler, and more unique encounters, and expanding on some of the good ideas in it would be great to see in a sequel...I hate the term 'X million people have PLAYED' a game tho, like what does that even mean in regards to a free game with no micro transactions

Spyxos

I played it when it came out and I dropped out at some point. Now I've tried it again and I like it a lot better. The new enemies and attacks help the game. And somehow collecting in this world doesn't annoy me. But it stutters way too much and the controls are terrible.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
"Played" means nothing nowadays with PS+ and GP (where the game is/was available, btw)

But good for them. Have the game downloaded on my PS5 but still havent had the time to play it.
It's a metric that's here to stay. Similar to TLOU TV show numbers.

Robb

Gold Member
Cool. I’m not very far into it, but it’s pretty good thus far.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I enjoyed my time with it but open world very repetitive and I wish the combat was deeper and better enemy variety and MY GOD the sound of those Tengus on top buildings really starts get in to your nerves.

Aenima

Im playing it right now, and enjoying it quite a bit. But even after the update, that added the ability to dodge, the combat still dosent feel good or satisfying to me. The setting, the creepiness and the overall story is whats pushing me forward to keep on with the game.

Still recommend giving it a try if ur subed to Gamepass or PS+ Extra.

Nydius

"Played" means nothing nowadays with PS+ and GP (where the game is/was available, btw)
My thoughts exactly. These player metric numbers are useless. I might be more impressed if it was "4m players have gotten the achievement/trophy for completing the game" or something similar. This could be anyone who loaded it and became disinterested during the intro/tutorial sequence and deleted it.

Also agree that 4m seems really low for a game that's been out a year and is on both subscription services. Especially when we have at least some idea of Game Pass sub numbers (~25m IIRC). Edit: Just did a spot check, Hi-Fi Rush reached 2 million players in 35 days.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I've subscribed to Game Pass to check out Red Fall for myself and yeah, it's pretty bad. I might use that monthly sub to play this one. It can't possibly be as bad as Redfall, right?

Nydius

It can't possibly be as bad as Redfall, right?
It's not bad, it's just... mid?

It's got tons of style, so that's a plus. But it's the worst part of western RPG open world design with icons littering the map, most of the content being collect-a-thons (almost as bad as old Assassin's Creed used to be before the reboot), and a largely forgettable plot. The side quest stories are really good, arguably better than the main quest.

But I don't regret playing it like I do Redfall. Just felt like it needed more meat to the main story and some reduction of the content padding.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What a useless metric. Due to Game Pass, anyone can download and play for 5 minutes, and then give up. Which means, in terms of the game's success, it means little.

People can do exactly the same with a game they've bought...they could even buy it and throw it straight in the bin if it's a physical copy.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Such a good game and has received a ton of support.

Get the DJ Multiverse tracks from cat vendors, play them and glide around rooftops in Tokyo. Combat is best when you press forward and time blocks correctly. The side missions are fantastic and some get quite spooky. I loved the bond that the two protagonists form over the course of the game.

I will always sing the praises of this game. 10/10 for me. Old school gaming with a gorgeous art style.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I enjoyed my time with it but open world very repetitive and I wish the combat was deeper and better enemy variety and MY GOD the sound of those Tengus on top buildings really starts get in to your nerves.
They added a separate volume slider shortly after the game launched.

fart town usa

Gold Member
What kind of gameplay is it?
Arcade style action/platformer but in first person. 3 different magic attacks, basically pistol, shotgun, grenade. You can glide around. Upgrades to make glide last longer, weapons stronger, block mechanic too but can't be spammed and perfect blocks stagger enemies.

It's a spooky and chill game. You basically have free reign over Tokyo and collect spirits and do memorable side missions. Lots of collectables but not overwhelming. I think it's a total blast but most people write it off. It's a shame.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
How many reached the halfway point or further? Played tells me nothing for a game that's on PS+ and GamePass.
Games are pretty long. If you play 8 hours you've watched the whole TLOU season equivalent. I think people need to be a little more open minded with how they assess engagement in games. How long is half way point in this game? How long to beat says 35-40 hours for completion if you attempt to get most collectibles and side quests.

Last edited:

Nydius

Lots of collectables but not overwhelming.
There's praising the game and then there's being misleading.
This is the latter.

85% of the game is collectible hunting, and yes, it's absolutely overwhelming.
It's the biggest offender of collectible content padding since the days of AC: Syndicate and AC: Unity.

Let's see, there's:
  • Torii Gates
  • Relics
  • Landmarks
  • KK's Investigation Notes
  • Voice Logs
  • Music Tracks
  • Magatama
  • Jizo Statues
  • Tanuki
  • Prayer Beads
  • ...and over 200,000 souls.

The main story and side content is about 20 total hours.
The rest of the time spent is chasing icons on the map, mostly so you can unlock skills.

This image speaks for itself, and this is only part of the map.

HkN2vTo.jpg

Last edited:
It's a decent game. Very much reminds me of lower budget games during the ps3 era that had some great ideas but never really knitted them together in an outstanding manner.

fart town usa

Gold Member
This is the latter.

It's the biggest offender of collectible content padding since the days of AC: Syndicate and AC: Unity.

Let's see, there's:
  • Torii Gates
  • Relics
  • Landmarks
  • Voice Logs
  • Music Tracks
  • Magatama
  • Jizo Statues
  • Tanuki
  • Prayer Beads

The rest of the time spent is chasing icons on the map, mostly so you can unlock skills.

HkN2vTo.jpg
You're being the "stop liking what I don't like kid". I don't even like open world games for the most part but this one clicked and it's free on gamepass and PS+. You're being a hater, full stop.

Edit- as for the collectables not being overwhelming. You're rarely forced to do anything and the game isnt difficult. I platinumed it in hard and it was a breeze for the most part. The game felt like skate in that you can just wander around and take it at your own pace. I spent plenty of time just gliding around from rooftops to rooftop listening to tracks. If you're impatient and need to consistently plow through games to get on to the next, then yea it'll probably be a drag. For people who want an atmospheric chill game that allows you to treat Tokyo as your own playground, it's damn fun.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
People can do exactly the same with a game they've bought...they could even buy it and throw it straight in the bin if it's a physical copy.
It can, but that's harder to happen. Straight out buying a game requires far more money than a Gamepass sub(And buying a game only gives you access to that game, not hundreds of different titles).

So when someone buys a copy of game, it stands to reason that there is a higher % of people that did far more research about that game in order to increase the chances that he will like that game and not waste money, while playing games on Game Pass there is a far lower chance for that to happen, since there is no financial risk for trying out a game that you don't like inside Game Pass.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Cool. Weakest of Tango's games and the Xbox port still needs work.

But cool.

Bartski

Gold Member
This is the latter.

Let's see, there's:
  • Torii Gates
  • Relics
  • Landmarks
  • Voice Logs
  • Music Tracks
  • Magatama
  • Jizo Statues
  • Tanuki
  • Prayer Beads

HkN2vTo.jpg
yeah about a third way in I just stopped caring and just followed the main path all the way till the end. Combat was fun at times tho, not sure what the recent update brought to the table

hyperbertha

Arcade style action/platformer but in first person. 3 different magic attacks, basically pistol, shotgun, grenade. You can glide around. Upgrades to make glide last longer, weapons stronger, block mechanic too but can't be spammed and perfect blocks stagger enemies.

It's a spooky and chill game. You basically have free reign over Tokyo and collect spirits and do memorable side missions. Lots of collectables but not overwhelming. I think it's a total blast but most people write it off. It's a shame.
So its not an immersive sim? I was hoping it was more like prey from arkane.

Top Bottom