• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2022 World Cup Preparation Is Costing Qatar $500 Million a Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of these are projects that benefit the city going forward though, yeah? I mean stuff like railways and hospitals aren't just useful for the World Cup even if it is driving the projects.

For Doha, I would think transport was going to come along anyway given all the hotels and skyscrapers. Depends on what plans they have for the rest of the country. It's only about 4000 square miles and most of the population is in Doha. Maybe they have big community plans with high density across the small region of Qatar.

Goodlife

Take a look at military and defense budgets if you want to see unnecessary spending - infrastructure is at least a decent thing to spend your money on.
Came here to say this.
Infrastructure is a very good thing for countries to spend money on.

Only (and it's a big one) issue is the pay/conditions of the workforce. That's what makes the whole thing shit

Zackat

That is an insane amount of money, even before you look at the horrible human cost that will likely be incurred during the construction of all this crap.

Insane but it sounds like this is how much they're spending on their national infrastructure all in rather than just infrastructure for the World Cup.

Faddy

Banned
Meanwhile the USA has like 20 perfectly capable stadiums just waiting to be used. Stupid fucking FIFA.

And how many billions of dollars of public money has been spent on those projects? I'd ballpark north of $10Billion on the books and a similar amount in future debt.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Should be spending it on improving the horrendous air pollution that is going to leave players feeling sick and out of breathe. I was there last year and the air quality was terrible.

KHlover

Banned
I don't understand why any country would want to host the world cup or Olympics if it costs more to build infrastructure (which will never be used again) than the revenue they'll make from it
Eh, pretty sure the Olympics in Canada, the US and Great Britain made money in the end, as did the World Cup 2006 here in Germany. Public infrastructure and new stadiums being used after the Olympics are over is what's important. Having old stadiums you can upgrade for the Olympics is also a plus. If you build stadiums in the middle of nowhere that are never going to be used again...good luck.

I doubt we'll be getting any major international events coming our way in the next four years.

Really sucks because I wanted the Olympics in LA, but Trump has basically cost us that. Fuck.

The Olympics and the World Cup have been hosted by worse governments than Trump's; the US just won't pony up the kickback.

Alebrije

$500 millions , surely most of that money is to keep workers happy

maxresdefault.jpg

Eh, pretty sure the Olympics in Canada, the US and Great Britain made money in the end, as did the World Cup 2006 here in Germany. Public infrastructure and new stadiums being used after the Olympics are over is what's important. Having old stadiums you can upgrade for the Olympics is also a plus. If you build stadiums in the middle of nowhere that are never going to be used again...good luck.

Montreal 76, total failure. big debts LOL.
Calgary 88, success. good profit.
Vancouver 10, total success, big bang for their bucks profit

mike6467

I remember seeing some stuff during Brazil's craziness that talked about using the new construction for affordable/public housing. Here it is.

Though from the looks of it, none of this really came to fruition. It seems like these events would be a lot more justifiable if they were using some of the excess afterwards to help the people who actually needed it. I mean, the "working conditions" aren't justified by anything here, but the fact that it ends up going to waste is insulting in an entirely different way.

jett

D-Member
Surely they misplaced a zero.

Either way, I wonder how much it would cost if they didn't resort to slave labor.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
$200 billion basically thrown down the toilet.

I would not be surprised if this ranked among the biggest amounts of money wasted in the history of mankind. It pains me to think of how many people this actually could have helped.

Syder

For the record, if you offered to pay for my tickets and travel for this WC, I'd tell you to fuck off.

I'd be totally fine with my country boycotting this WC.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
This is good for their economy, no? Or is this money just being laundered back into someone's pockets.

Overall I think it will result in a sizable net loss.

Generally the World Cup does generate income, but it's never come close to covering how much this one is costing.

tuxfool

Banned
Came here to say this.
Infrastructure is a very good thing for countries to spend money on.

Only (and it's a big one) issue is the pay/conditions of the workforce. That's what makes the whole thing shit

Infrastructure is only good if the country is going to make use of it. All these services that they're building to handle WC capacities, are people going to use them after the WC is over?

Go see China and their ghost town construction boom. The difference is that for China it pretty much is a make-work programme. Here, workers are little more than slaves.

boingball

I doubt we'll be getting any major international events coming our way in the next four years.

Really sucks because I wanted the Olympics in LA, but Trump has basically cost us that. Fuck.

Why? Trump is good at making deals. He makes the best deals.

You will get the Olympics and Mexico will pay for it.

dopplr

$200 billion basically thrown down the toilet.

I would not be surprised if this ranked among the biggest amounts of money wasted in the history of mankind. It pains me to think of how many people this actually could have helped.

Qatar is new money, they still don't know what to do with all the cash they have. This is a drop in the bucket for the government.

Piggus

Pretty gross that not a single country is likely to boycott this trash despite how obvious it is that Qatar bribed the shit out of FIFA.

It's so fucked up that every major sporting event needs its own one-time use stadium.

That's the thing though. It doesn't. The US has literally dozens of really nice stadiums all over the country, and they're used for a multitude of events. There will be brand new billion-dollar stadiums in Atlanta and LA ready to open in the next two years. Of course, bribe money trumps all of that, as we've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom