• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Qatar: If you're gay, you should avoid the 2022 World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

wighti

Curious, how come Qatar can enforce their no-alcohol rules when Brazil had a ban on alcohol in their stadiums which got overturned for the duration of the cup?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I can't believe that they gave it to such a backwards, regressive country. I hope the whole thing is a shambles and a public embarrassment to the country. The human rights abuses in the construction alone is horrifying. The west shouldn't be having anything to do with these countries until they join the 21st century.

I can't believe that they gave it to such a backwards, regressive country. I hope the whole thing is a shambles and a public embarrassment to the country. The human rights abuses in the construction alone is horrifying. The west shouldn't be having anything to do with these countries until they join the 21st century.

FIFA knows everyone will huff and puff but in the end billions will watch the games and no football association will boycott the championships. World Cups have been held in military dictatorships before.

The minister didn't say gays would not be welcome or alcohol wouldn't be allowed. He's saying it will be allowed but he doesn't want it to affect the native culture, which isn't the same as what people are portraying it as. I'm not saying it's right, but it's different than if he outright said: "No gays or alcohol will be allowed at the World Cup".

I personally think it'd be funnier to have Qatar 2022 go ahead for that reason. Sharia law will not be in place for tourists, it'll be great to see a theocracy have to accept that even if it's only for a month, and perhaps it'll have a positive affect on the young locals and tourists from neighbouring Sharia countries.

Also I think Qatar 2022 is getting more focus because it is a Muslim majority country. Russia may not be a theocracy, but it's just as shit of a country and it's not getting the same level of criticism despite holding the World Cup sooner.

Whether or not Arabs are 'awful' or not. Arab/Muslim culture and countries are indefinitely backwards, hateful and behind the times.

Qatar wouldn't allow thousands of its own citizens to die building stadiums but they are happy foe foreigners to be slaves and die enmass.

The majority of the world, and that includes more non-Muslims than Muslims, are behind the times (by your definition meaning the development level of Western countries), which if you think about it, means that what "the times" are isn't what you think it is, we're actually the exception to "the times". It's easy for us growing up in the West to say this or that to shit countries, but the reason Western countries are how they are is through years of evolution, not just one day Western countries deciding "yep the gays are allowed now".

Also the idea that Arab/Muslim culture is indefinitely backwards and hateful is wrong. Most Muslim majority countries in the world actually don't implement Sharia law but Western style civil codes, and in a lot of Muslim majority countries their fucked up nature is due to corrupt politics rather than religion.

NeonZ

FIFA cares more about money than human rights; people ought to hit them where it hurts, i.e. boycott the game and if possible it should be done in large numbers. But given how Sochi turned out (despite many public figures such Stephen Fry urging sport governing bodies and public in general) I am not so confident that most people have it in them to resist the urge to sacrifice entertainment of that magnitude for human rights.

Qatar does hurt the entertainment itself though, with the drinking and clothing restrictions. People and companies generally won't stand up for the human rights of others, but a backlash against Qatar's restrictions to entertainment is still very possible.

People said the WC in SA will suck, it sucked. FIFA didn't care before and after.

QATAR will suck, too. FIFA doesn't care and won't care.

People say 2010 sucked because of the quality of football, not because of the location.

Qatar does hurt the entertainment itself though, with the drinking and clothing restrictions. People and companies generally won't stand up for the human rights of others, but a backlash against Qatar's restrictions to entertainment is still very possible.

Qatar are not going to be forceful with Sharia law on tourists. It's going to be like Dubai.

(Others being heat and no football culture / football infrastructure.)
I don't get why they don't just have the games late at night in Qatar when heat will not be an issue, and when it'll make the times closer to European prime time. Not that it isn't an issue, but I'm just thinking out loud.

The football culture one is repeated but sadly it's not true. Football is the most popular sport in Qatar. The infrastructure one is partly true, they have stadiums, they just need to make them bigger, which happens with most countries hosting the World Cup anyway.

Jburton

Banned
It's ridiculous to ask a country to change its laws regarding alcohol or sexuality for a bloody football tournament. That kind of change has to happen naturally in a society.

On the other hand, homophobia is possibly the best of the three main reasons why they never should have considered the backwards shithole in the first place. (Others being heat and no football culture / football infrastructure.) Fuck Fifa. I hope that tournament never goes ahead, and if it does, I hope it's a disaster.

I would put slaves and them dying way above sexual orientation, in that regard sexual orientation doesn't even come close.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Bu-bu-bu-but the Olympics in Sochi taught us that a discriminated minority's rights will significantly improve after hosting a world event. Right?

Bu-bu-bu-but the Olympics in Sochi taught us that a discriminated minority's rights will significantly improve after hosting a world event. Right?
I'm still pretty pissed off about the attitudes displayed by a lot of people during the Sochi Olympics. "Stop talking about it, it takes away from the games."

That sure worked out well. :/

Jburton

Banned

I don't think it was ever supposed to.

Not enough people care so as to harm these events enough for any chance of forcible changes to be made.

Also I'm not sure how high the percentage of participants at the Olympics would be gay, but it will be much less when it comes to football.

Same with attendees/ supporters.

This makes any chance of exerting pressure from within the sport even less likely, plus the US (who are frankly insignificant in world football) will not play political games with Qatar like they did with Russia.

Its a sad state of affairs.

NeonZ

Qatar are not going to be forceful with Sharia law on tourists. It's going to be like Dubai.

That's not what they have indicated so far though. It'd be completely irrational to attempt to apply those standards during the World Cup, but the same could be said about their standards themselves.

Bullshit will they not allow alcohol, Budweiser and FIFA strongarmed Brazil into changing their laws surrounding alcohol in stadiums and they'll do it again.
Unless Qatar gives them shitloads of money

and about gay people, they don't sponsor FIFA so they wont receive any help.

Didn't hundreds of slaves die while building the stadiums? Why is it still happening there?
Foreign workers are allowed into the country but not allowed to quit/change their jobs or to leave the country. They also do not sponsor FIFA.

Skele7on

Banned
why are the next two world cups in the most disgustingly homophobic countries ever?

Fifa you're all a bunch of bribe taking bastards.

Also it can't take place in summer because people will die watching and playing... What a mess.

beast786

Seriously, why don't we just give the cup to germany anyway. I really need a six star on my ozil shirt.

Will save a lot of hassle for everyone

Jburton

Banned
Wtf is this nonsense?

What nonsense, I was pondering that the number of homosexual footballers would be very low, maybe lower than Olympians, therefore the chance of those participating for whom this would directly impact is low.

This makes direct pressure from within the sport upon Qatar lower than any that was exhibited at Sochi.

sestrugen

I understand it's all about money but to alienate human beings from enjoying these events its despicable. They don't understand what they are doing to the sport. I am sad.

SKINNER!

Banned
Man, and I was excited for the World Cup being in the Middle East. Arabs are so fucking awful and have to ruin everything. I guess I was naive not to expect this :/

what the fuck is this shit and how is this account still not banned?

Actually Qatar is the only Gulf nation that recognizes Israel.
photo_52301.jpg

I was about to point out the blatant ignorance in this thread but I'm glad DXB-KNIGHT posted what I was going to post...kinda. The post isn't 100% correct. Qatar is the only gulf nation that has trade (and sometimes diplomatic) relations with Israel. They still don't recognise the country.

Qatar has already stated that if Israel qualifies for the 2022 World Cup then they will allow their players into the country. and if they don't then they might be fined by FIFA.

I remember the WTA fined Dubai for refusing an Israeli tennis player a visa in order to compete in the Dubai Tennis Championships.

Different sport, different country, different organisation but I'd assume that the same rule would still apply.

The Qatar world cup still has no sponsors listed, but these are the FIFA sponsors for the 2018 Russia world cup:

Adidas
Coca Cola
Gazprom
Hyundai/Kia motors
Visa
Budweiser
Mac Donalds

Want things to change? Get these corporations to complain to FIFA. Boycott them.

I can totally see the Coca Cola lobby taking advantage of the alcohol ban if that comes into force. They'd have a monopoly on beverages. I wouldn't be surprised if they paid Qatar to "follow their culture" and ensure that Bud is not sold anywhere in the stadiums.

MMaRsu

Banned
What nonsense, I was pondering that the number of homosexual footballers would be very low, maybe lower than Olympians, therefore the chance of those participating for whom this would directly impact is low.

This makes direct pressure from within the sport upon Qatar lower than any that was exhibited at Sochi.

Why would you think there are less gay football players than olympic athletes. That there is straight up nonsense.

You even included the fans as well. Weird generalization sir.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Its more ridiculous to let a backwards stone age country host the tournament.
Stone age? The US only started removing it's sodomy laws in the 60s, and sodomy was still illegal in large parts of the US until 2003. 1 in 5 States still have sodomy laws on the books, although they are not enforceable in a court of law they can still be used for harassment.
It was only in the mid sixties that racial segregation was outlawed in the US.

Jburton

Banned
Why would you think there are less gay football players than olympic athletes. That there is straight up nonsense.

You even included the fans as well. Weird generalization sir.

How many homosexual footballers do you know who play at international level?

rush777

what the fuck is this shit and how is this account still not banned?

I was about to point out the blatant ignorance in this thread but I'm glad DXB-KNIGHT posted what I was going to post...kinda. The post isn't 100% correct. Qatar is the only gulf nation that has trade (and sometimes diplomatic) relations with Israel. They still don't recognise the country.

Qatar has already stated that if Israel qualifies for the 2022 World Cup then they will allow their players into the country. and if they don't then they might be fined by FIFA.

I remember the WTA fined Dubai for refusing an Israeli tennis player a visa in order to compete in the Dubai Tennis Championships.

Different sport, different country, different organisation but I'd assume that the same rule would still apply.

I can totally see the Coca Cola lobby taking advantage of the alcohol ban if that comes into force. They'd have a monopoly on beverages. I wouldn't be surprised if they paid Qatar to "follow their culture" and ensure that Bud is not sold anywhere in the stadiums.

Why don't you stop whining and read her fucking posts, funny none of the offended seem to give a shit about the issues, you would rather bitch at an Arab female who was raised in that atmosphere, I guarantee you are not an Arab female.

SKINNER!

Banned
Why don't you stop whining and read her fucking posts, funny none of the offended seem to give a shit about the issues, you would rather bitch at an Arab female who was raised in that atmosphere, I guarantee you are not an Arab female.

Look who's all calm and collective. 10/10 for white knighting.

For the record, one person's experience does mean you can label and generalise an entire group of people . Is the region picture perfect? Absolutely not. But it's perfectly acceptable to label ALL Arabs as "fucking assholes [who] have to ruin everything? just because of her experience? Absolutely not. I've travelled and met numerous arabs who question the society's incorrect beliefs and overall stance on taboo subjects. Smart people who want to see progression, improvements in human rights and positive change. Guess what? Last time I checked they were still Arabs.

Get off your fucking high horse.

Zzzzzzz great response

Likewise.

spwolf

Well, normally I don't post things like this. But soccer is my favourite sport to watch and ... to tell people that they don't have the right to watch the sport live, in the arena, is just despicable (even though it's not explicitly said, that's what's heavily implied; nevertheless, it's telling people to not be who they are if they want the right to watch the game live). Between this, and the no alcohol rule, and the clothing guidelines (women should cover up head to toe!), AND using slaves to do work... FIFA should seriously reconsider Qatar.

Source.

Also avoid the comment section lol.

e602e60d-b15e-4303-ad8d-54350994f25d_4x3_296x222.jpg

Please dress modestly if old.

i sure hope this gets big push towards boycott and change of venue.

If you dont want world to come to you, dont host World Cup!

rrvv

Make me wonder whether people will remember this stuff if 2022 if actually happens.

people say many bad thing about Brazil 2014. but after the competition. everything when well. people consider it one of best WC. and most of them already forgot about the issue.

Curious, how come Qatar can enforce their no-alcohol rules when Brazil had a ban on alcohol in their stadiums which got overturned for the duration of the cup?

doubt the can really enforce it. probably they simply make fan harder to buy alcohol

MMaRsu

Banned

None because there is a huge stigma on gay football players. What kind of stupid logic are you using here?

A gay soccer player would be spat out by homophobic fans.

spwolf

I can understand alcohol... but forbidding foreign women to wear t-shits is basically taking away their human rights. I could understand that you should walk around in a bra, but t-shirt? Thats just not good.

They should not be allowed to host international venues like World Cup, period. Nothing against their "culture", but then dont expect to fully be a part of civilized world.

Man, and I was excited for the World Cup being in the Middle East. Arabs are so fucking awful and have to ruin everything. I guess I was naive not to expect this :/

tumblr_mc8p6ajytK1r8b0tqo1_250.gif

Banned for what? Defending human rights? lol
No, for saying 'Arabs are so fucking awful'.

I feel like 'openly' needs to be added somewhere in this sentence.

funkypie

Banned
The minister didn't say gays would not be welcome or alcohol wouldn't be allowed. He's saying it will be allowed but he doesn't want it to affect the native culture, which isn't the same as what people are portraying it as. I'm not saying it's right, but it's different than if he outright said: "No gays or alcohol will be allowed at the World Cup".

I personally think it'd be funnier to have Qatar 2022 go ahead for that reason. Sharia law will not be in place for tourists, it'll be great to see a theocracy have to accept that even if it's only for a month, and perhaps it'll have a positive affect on the young locals and tourists from neighbouring Sharia countries.

Also I think Qatar 2022 is getting more focus because it is a Muslim majority country. Russia may not be a theocracy, but it's just as shit of a country and it's not getting the same level of criticism despite holding the World Cup sooner.

The majority of the world, and that includes more non-Muslims than Muslims, are behind the times (by your definition meaning the development level of Western countries), which if you think about it, means that what "the times" are isn't what you think it is, we're actually the exception to "the times". It's easy for us growing up in the West to say this or that to shit countries, but the reason Western countries are how they are is through years of evolution, not just one day Western countries deciding "yep the gays are allowed now".

Also the idea that Arab/Muslim culture is indefinitely backwards and hateful is wrong. Most Muslim majority countries in the world actually don't implement Sharia law but Western style civil codes, and in a lot of Muslim majority countries their fucked up nature is due to corrupt politics rather than religion.

Nice speech which failed to mention the thoundands dying due to their backwards ways.

Dear god at the comments! WTF! I should really starts listening to people who say don´t read the comments.

Fuck Qatar. Host the WC in another country who does not discriminate between people. And lol at that Qatar culture and value sign.

XavandSo

Neo Member
profile_picture_by_upndisgustingplz-d5plrni.jpg

If your tradition is to discriminate, fuck your tradition.
Hear hear!
I have no qualms with Islam, the Quran or Arabic people in general, but it's time for those backwards, misogynistic, corrupt, plutocratic assholes in power to go. Of course it has to be peaceful, as we don't want another fuck-up like Iraq and Syria but it will happen. Surely.

Nev

Banned
"Hey, it's our tradition to discriminate people over their sexual preference, please respect us in our disrespect".

Fucking disgusting.

If you live in a past century, you should avoid hosting worldwide competitions.

Jburton

Banned
None because there is a huge stigma on gay football players. What kind of stupid logic are you using here?

A gay soccer player would be spat out by homophobic fans.

What I was trying to say is that there is more acceptance and openness (to a degree) within Olympic sports, so there is more likely to be open opposition to such policies from within the sport.

Less likely from within football due to the points made.

Therefore I don't expect as much open derision of Qatar from football as we saw from Olympians against Russia.

I didn't explain myself well but you seemed quite fervent in trying to paint my post as being something negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom