• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Qatar: If you're gay, you should avoid the 2022 World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless

e602e60d-b15e-4303-ad8d-54350994f25d_4x3_296x222.jpg

Please dress modestly if old.

Wow that place discriminates indiscriminately. Gay and straight people should be united in shitting all the games and the country.

The stands are going to be a bland wasteland of sober depression without alcohol and criminals like this running around:

wc-babe.gif

spwolf

Also I think Qatar 2022 is getting more focus because it is a Muslim majority country. Russia may not be a theocracy, but it's just as shit of a country and it's not getting the same level of criticism despite holding the World Cup sooner.

Also the idea that Arab/Muslim culture is indefinitely backwards and hateful is wrong. Most Muslim majority countries in the world actually don't implement Sharia law but Western style civil codes, and in a lot of Muslim majority countries their fucked up nature is due to corrupt politics rather than religion.

There is no need to push it as "anti-muslim" thing.

I see a lot of criticism for Russia in press... and Russia is only really different due to "anti-gay" stance, even if they still have large gay population.

In Quatar, it is not just anti-gay. Telling women that they should not wear pants with t-shirts is just very backward. It does not matter what religion it is at all, it is backward.

So you are confusing things here. Maybe there are many poorer countries out there in the world than Sweden, or UK or USA.

But people in those countries dont forbid other people basic human freedoms.

I think most people in Europe right now would prefer if WC 2018 was in Turkey and not Russia.

spwolf

Wow that place discriminates indiscriminately. Gay and straight people should be united in shitting all the games and the country.

The stands are going to be a bland wasteland of sober depression without alcohol and criminals like this running around:

wc-babe.gif

sad part is that feminists would ban that crazy criminal as well :)

The slave labor building the stadiums. The number of casualties is off the charts, literally unheard of for the WC.
Right, but the guy was talking about Arab culture. I dont think we can fault the entire race because the government has its head deeply lodged in its ass. Its like saying Americans are warmongering loonies that wanted to invade Iraq in 2003 when it was our government that decided to do it.

rrvv

There is no need to push it as "anti-muslim" thing.

I see a lot of criticism for Russia in press... and Russia is only really different due to "anti-gay" stance, even if they still have large gay population.

In Quatar, it is not just anti-gay. Telling women that they should not wear pants with t-shirts is just very backward. It does not matter what religion it is at all, it is backward.

So you are confusing things here. Maybe there are many poorer countries out there in the world than Sweden, or UK or USA.

But people in those countries dont forbid other people basic human freedoms.

Woman wearing T-shirt is not exactly banned in Qatar. main reason why they don't wear it often is simply because of the environment.

Let's think the opposite. Is French a backward country since they ban hijab?

Azih

Qataris are just doing whatever they possibly can to keep the temperature down. Their stadium simulation has shown that the presence of flamers will make things too hot for even their space stadiums to handle. They're just thinking about the players!

tbm24

What I was trying to say is that there is more acceptance and openness (to a degree) within Olympic sports, so there is more likely to be open opposition to such policies from within the sport.

Less likely from within football due to the points made.

Therefore I don't expect as much open derision of Qatar from football as we saw from Olympians against Russia.

I didn't explain myself well but you seemed quite fervent in trying to paint my post as being something negative.

The problem with using the Sochi Olympics as an example is that Qatar WC is 8 years from today while Sochi has already happened. The landscape of football/international football may be vastly different by then and for all we know there could be numerous openly gay footballers not to mention fans.

MMaRsu

Banned
What I was trying to say is that there is more acceptance and openness (to a degree) within Olympic sports, so there is more likely to be open opposition to such policies from within the sport.

Less likely from within football due to the points made.

Therefore I don't expect as much open derision of Qatar from football as we saw from Olympians against Russia.

I didn't explain myself well but you seemed quite fervent in trying to paint my post as being something negative.

I understand what you are saying, but what you posted made it seem like there are no gay footballers and or fans/coaches staff etc.

Or at least, much less than olympic athletes. Yes they are more open about it because it's not such a huge stigma as with soccer players.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Right, but the guy was talking about Arab culture. I dont think we can fault the entire race because the government has its head deeply lodged in its ass. Its like saying Americans are warmongering loonies that wanted to invade Iraq in 2003 when it was our government that decided to do it.

Ah fair point, I just figured he was talking about the slavery thing. Which, to be fair, is pretty goddamn backwards.

Kisaya

Look who's all calm and collective. 10/10 for white knighting.

For the record, one person's experience does mean you can label and generalise an entire group of people . Is the region picture perfect? Absolutely not. But it's perfectly acceptable to label ALL Arabs as "fucking assholes [who] have to ruin everything? just because of her experience? Absolutely not. I've travelled and met numerous arabs who question the society's incorrect beliefs and overall stance on taboo subjects. Smart people who want to see progression, improvements in human rights and positive change. Guess what? Last time I checked they were still Arabs.

Get off your fucking high horse.

Likewise.

I'm sorry if I offended you Saeed, I've already owned up to saying my original post was poorly stated (just as saying someone is white knighting ;p). But its not just my experience that frusrates me, and we can't blame the government of Qatar for this problem.

rush777

Look who's all calm and collective. 10/10 for white knighting.

For the record, one person's experience does mean you can label and generalise an entire group of people . Is the region picture perfect? Absolutely not. But it's perfectly acceptable to label ALL Arabs as "fucking assholes [who] have to ruin everything? just because of her experience? Absolutely not. I've travelled and met numerous arabs who question the society's incorrect beliefs and overall stance on taboo subjects. Smart people who want to see progression, improvements in human rights and positive change. Guess what? Last time I checked they were still Arabs.

Get off your fucking high horse.

Likewise.

Ah so diginified and intelligent! throwing out the all too common "White Knighting" because I agree with a females perspective. Guess what?? I have met and befriended pletny of Arabs that also question the society's incorrect beliefs, problem is questioning is not fucking enough.

And please dont bother with the overly offended bullshit, I'm so tired of it on GAF. Read between the lines when she says Arabs, obviously she doesnt mean the entire race.( she is Arab). No matter how you want to spin it, the majority of Arabs preach and follow these disgusting customs, and because of this they do not deserve to have a WORLD tournament.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
She has already explained very well why she (as an Arab woman) holds that position.
Except the part I highlighted is a complete generalisation. I'm Arab, I don't agree with the stupidity that goes on in the middle east, but her statement paints us all with the same brush.

Edit:

Just read Kisaya's last post. Not pissed anymore. There's so much that is wrong in the middle east in terms of treatment of women, minorities, religious laws, etc. But not all of us stand for that, and I took offence to how the original post was written.

Kisaya

Except the part I highlighted is a complete generalisation. I'm Arab, I don't agree with the stupidity that goes on in the middle east, but her statement paints us all with the same brush.

We come from that stupidity, and it's even practiced in Arab communities outside of the Middle East. Not every single Arab is fucking awful, okay, but the majority of them treat the minority like shit.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
We come from that stupidity, and it's even practiced in Arab communities outside of the Middle East. Not every single Arab is fucking awful, okay, but the majority of them treat the minority like shit.
I know, and I agree with you on that point. We're good lol.

shamanick

It is fucking mind-boggling that FIFA agreed to Qatar's buckets of money for this PR (and human rights) disaster. How the hell is this still happening?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It is fucking mind-boggling that FIFA agreed to Qatar's buckets of money for this PR (and human rights) disaster. How the hell is this still happening?

It doesn't get more corrupt than FIFA, they make the mob look like pussies. Their "investigation" consisted of deciding they did nothing wrong and blaming England for the whole thing.

jelly

Funny thing is, very public facing with their so called values but behind closed doors anything goes. Jump on the plane, wardrobe change, drink the plane dry.

Kinsei

Banned

It's because they know no matter how much people complain they'll still watch. Unless their ratings tank or sponsers pull out nothing will change, and this whole thing will likely repeat itself in a different country.

I think most people in Europe right now would prefer if WC 2018 was in Turkey and not Russia.

I'm actually Turkish, so I'd be ok with that :).

The idea that Qatar will be the first Muslim country to host a WC is scandalous, considering Turkey is the Muslim majority country with the deepest history of football, comparable to Europe and South America . Not to mention drinking, homosexuality and sexy women are legal in Turkey, and Turkey is one of the biggest tourism destinations in the world so the infrastructure for handling loads of people coming for a World Cup is already in place.

Fuck sake I'm still bitter that we lost Euro 2016 by 1 vote.

I know a lot about what I'm talking about, and I already owned up to poorly saying what I meant if you bothered to read through the rest of the thread. Anything else you want to comment though?

Mostly, you don´t. In Lebanon there is a different way of thinking, and women can have their own opinion and freedom to do what they want. So don´t generalize your own house hold and make it to be everyone is the same.

Fuck Qatar and their backwards way. Seriously FIFA should just change the location. Corrupt piece of shit organisation.

Interesting, the SB nation article In OP
has a totally different tone to the original source which is AP

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6152932

—Al Ali said "creative" solutions can be found to allow alcohol sales to visiting World Cup fans. For now, alcohol is only sold in selected Doha hotels and visitors must show their passports to enter these bars. Residents with a license to shop there can also buy alcohol in a government-run store. But World Cup organizer FIFA has a sponsorship deal with a brewer and it leaned on Brazil, the last tournament host, to allow beer sales in its 2014 World Cup stadiums. Asked specifically about alcohol in 2022 stadiums, the minister offered no guarantee.

"In the hotels and many areas we have alcohol but we have also our own system that people need to respect," he said. "As we bid for 2022, we will respect all the rules and regulations by FIFA. We can study this and minimize the impact on our people and tradition. I think we can be creative, finding solutions for all of this. But we respect all the rules and regulations."

—Asked how gay people will be welcomed in 2022, al-Ali replied: "It's exactly like the alcohol question."

He said Qatar doesn't want to create "this impression, illusion that we don't care about our tradition and our ethical values ... We are studying all these issues. We can adapt, we can be creative to have people coming and enjoying the games without losing the essence of our culture and respecting the preference of the people coming here. I think there is a lot we can do."

Clydefrog

I'm about ready to boycott this World Cup. And I say that as a massive, massive football fan.

I went to Brazil (which had its own set of problems/protests) but I was still able to have a blast there. I can confidently say that I will not be attending or even watching the Qatar games at this point.

The original ap article seems to indicate like alcohol is fine in foreign setting in Qatar and similarly they are looking to accommodate gay people but the sb nations seems to push the notion that gay people aren't allowed in Qatar. Fyi heterosexual pda is also frowned upon in public . Don't know if world cup will be different

I went to Brazil (which had its own set of problems/protests) but I was still able to have a blast there. I can confidently say that I will not be attending or even watching the Qatar games at this point.

To be honest that's hypocritical. You can overlook Brazil's problems, but not Qatar's?

spwolf

Meaning...?

meaning we should let people wear t-shirts. Lefties and righties often use same methods to achieve their goals.

I imagine it would be quite an uproar if EA's FIFA 2022 had that picture on front cover, there would be an uproar. At same time there is an uproar because there cant be such pictures in Qatar.

spwolf

I'm actually Turkish, so I'd be ok with that :).

The idea that Qatar will be the first Muslim country to host a WC is scandalous, considering Turkey is the Muslim majority country with the deepest history of football, comparable to Europe and South America . Not to mention drinking, homosexuality and sexy women are legal in Turkey, and Turkey is one of the biggest tourism destinations in the world so the infrastructure for handling loads of people coming for a World Cup is already in place.

Fuck sake I'm still bitter that we lost Euro 2016 by 1 vote.

didnt you guys have CL finals recently? If there was WC or EC in Turkey, I would surely be visiting. Heck, I will likely be visiting regardless :)

Clydefrog

To be honest that's hypocritical. You can overlook Brazil's problems, but not Qatar's?

Yeah I can see how'd you think that but I think the scope of Qatar's problems far outweigh Brazil's.

I went to some of Brazil's smaller venues so I felt like I could give my money to the local economies there and help the people there. I felt welcomed and everyone was having a good time. I don’t feel like that would be the case in Qatar.

tbm24

Exactly what I was saying with an earlier post I made. The guy sounds reasonable to me.

I don't find it reasonable that he felt the need to state more than once the need to maintain their tradition and culture in a discussion about allowing people of a certain sexual orientation to attend the World Cup. It's not something you patch over with tape then remove when people are no longer looking. So even if they relax their rules during the World Cup, it's still incredibly unreasonable and not something to be celebrated by allowing them to host the event.

Sai-kun

Banned
meaning we should let people wear t-shirts. Lefties and righties often use same methods to achieve their goals.

I imagine it would be quite an uproar if EA's FIFA 2022 had that picture on front cover, there would be an uproar. At same time there is an uproar because there cant be such pictures in Qatar.

What does that have to do with what you think feminism means?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom