• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films to See In September (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tucah

you speak so well
The Guest is the only thing I really want to see this month, You're Next was fun.

I'm interested in The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby but I think I want to see the separate versions instead of the combined one.

SOME-MIST

The Zero Theorem was a huge disappointment, I wouldn't recommend it. Better to watch Brazil again! Stray Dogs looks good.

I loved it tbh and have seen it three times haha.

actual somewhat spoilers
the whole movie being based on childbirth and the womb theory makes it even more enjoyable to rewatch

Tabasco

Definitely going to see The Boxtrolls this month.

I'm a huge fan of the previous two films from Laika.

Is that main list serious?

The two best movies of the month aren't even there:

The Skeleton Twins:

The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby:

I also hope This Is Where I Leave You and Wetlands turn out good.

I was mixed on Skeleton Twins, and Eleanor Rigby: Them was decent, but not great. Waiting to see Her & Him to include next month if it's good.

Just watched the trailer for Skeleton Twins. I really want to watch that now.

edit: Month looks bleak though. Hoping for October to be better.

Hadn't heard of either A Walk Among the Tombstones or The Guest before this thread, but now I really really want to see both of them.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
What a strange month...a self-aware Nick Cave movie, a movie by the Belle and Sebastian guy, and Kevin Smith's walrus movie (which I guess didn't make this list).

I feel like I have to see Two Sides of January in that cast alone. Anyone seen it?

Looking for something to see this weekend, likely between Wetlands and Starred Up. Anyone have thoughts?

Starred Up is fantastic. Reminiscent of Un prophète, if you've seen that. Jack O'Connell is having the year of his life.

What a strange month...a self-aware Nick Cave movie, a movie by the Belle and Sebastian guy, and Kevin Smith's walrus movie (which I guess didn't make this list).

I feel like I have to see Two Sides of January in that cast alone. Anyone seen it?
I loved it. I fully understand if someone doesn't like it, or even hate it, but Viggo Mortensen always pulls through in my eyes. Has a very Hitchockian vibe to it, which I really liked, and plays very well on the tensions between its main characters. Also builds great atmosphere akin to The Ghost Writer though not as dark. I'd recommend it anyhow.

vulva

Saw The Guest on Saturday. It was a great movie. The director and writer were describing it as a cross between Terminator and Halloween in terms of concept.

It's a really fun movie that I'm sure most here would enjoy.

I can't find Stray Dogs playing anywhere in Toronto! This is driving me mad, since I've been wanting to see it for over a year now.

Jarnet87

They had me at Gilliam, Waltz is just icing on the cake. Didn't know it was available to stream, may rent it this weekend.

The Guest is the only thing I really want to see this month, You're Next was fun.

I'm interested in The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby but I think I want to see the separate versions instead of the combined one.
ijKy88c1EJpCq.gif

The Guest was really good. Glad I saw that.

Looking for something to see this weekend, likely between Wetlands and Starred Up. Anyone have thoughts?
Starred Up is goddamn amazing. Probably my #3 film of this year. The acting is some of the best this year, and it's brutal heartfelt stuff. I felt like crying at points. You really feel like you're in the prison as another character.

This is a good mood trailer that hopefully sells it to you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgpbuMgRdMk

Starred Up is fantastic. Reminiscent of Un prophète, if you've seen that. Jack O'Connell is having the year of his life.

Starred Up is goddamn amazing. Probably my #3 film of this year. The acting is some of the best this year, and it's brutal heartfelt stuff. I felt like crying at points. You really feel like you're in the prison as another character.

This is a good mood trailer that hopefully sells it to you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgpbuMgRdMk
I ended up seeing Wetlands due to proximity / time convenience and it was... something else. Gross, crass, kind of sweet, really well-acted, fun, insane, weird. Just. I don't know, it's a really tough movie to pigeonhole! Or describe! Starred Up didn't stick around IFC very long, sadly, but I will definitely rectify once it comes to blu-ray.

Seconded. Fucking amazing film. Jack O'Connell should win awards for that performance. I knew he was a good actor from watching him in Skins but man what a performance. It's soul crushing, heartbreaking, touching cinema. Such an amazing film. I highly recommend it to anyone who's thinking of seeing it. Sometimes you just have to take a chance on films and sometime you're deeply rewarded. One of the best films of the year.

Also out of the films listed in the OP does anyone know which ones are out on VOD yet? I've looked and could only find The Two Faces Of January. Just asking because I'd love to see the Liam Neeson film and am not sure when it's going to be out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom