• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films To See In August (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snaku said:
Actually it's re-telling a story that's already been told, in Conquest of the Planet of the Apes. Prequels as a concept are not inherently unnecessary, and since this attempts to reboot the franchise to begin anew like Batman Begins, it is not on par with the Star Wars prequels.

Oh, it is a reboot? I thought it was connected to the old films. Hmm, that's better then.

And I've never heard of Conquest, only seen the original. Guess I should brush up

UrbanRats

Not gonna watch any of those in a cinema, because 100% of films are dubbed here, but i'm interested in picking up a few of them in dvd/BR.

And yes, Bellflower does seem at least interesting.

@Planet of the Apes: i hope there's not another "we shouldn't play god" moral.

paul187

RotPotA looks so silly and forced I can't believe it is nothing more than a shit fest. I'll wait for the DVD release unless it gets crazy word of mouth.

Strike said:
Checking out 30 Minutes or Less (pending reviews). After that it's pretty much nothing until December.

You'll miss out on one of the best films of the year then.

Click to uncover the greatness.

Expendable. said:
Nope, didn't include it. It looks horrendous in my opinion.
The clip they showed with Ron Perlman was slightly passable.
DevelopmentArrested said:
by those standards, change up is a piece of shit. 30%
Change up does look pretty shitty. Been there, done that, eleventy billion times. But this time, with raunchy humor.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Going to have to see Planet of the Apes. Last month I said I'd watch Cowboys and Aliens but then I got totally scared off by everyone saying it sucked. Won't be the case here, everyone is raving about it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Green Scar said:
God damn it Expendable stop teasing me with Drive

that shit probably won't even play in a cinema near me D:

This is becoming a disturbing trend for my local cinemas. First it was The Tree of Life and most recently it's Jane Eyre (speaking of which, the internet tells me that the Blu-ray has leaked and yet the film doesn't begin screening here for another week. This, film studios, is why staggered worldwide releases are stupid).

I made the effort to head up to the city for The Tree of Life because it's Terrence fucking Malick and will make the same effort for Jane Eyre since it stars this country's best acting export since Cate Blanchett, but it's not something I want to do for every single bloody film I'd like to go see at the cinemas.

Edit: Expanded a little.

JaseC said:
This is becoming a disturbing trend for my local cinemas. First it was The Tree of Life and most recently it's Jane Eyre. I made the effort to head up to the city for The Tree of Life because it's Terrence fucking Malick, but it's not something I want to do for every single bloody film I'd like to go see at the cinemas.

Pretty sure my local skipped ToL too. Didn't bother me personally, but it's often the smaller films that get skipped- 'In the Loop' and 'Four Lions', for example. Plus they waited a week to start showing Black Swan, the bastards. Still, they could end up showing Drive in the end- their schedule's only added Attack the Block a week before release, heh.

Jburton said:
The In-betweeners movie

...... can not wait!

Oh, I'll see this. Too much of a fan of the show not too. Cringeworthy as all fuck though.

harSon said:
There's no way in hell I'm watching The Help lmao

I know it isn't GAF's thing but the very trustworthy Kris Tapley at In Contention had some high praise for it, posted today.

‘The Help’ and the year’s best ensemble performance…so far

Now that I’m done crying my eyes out, a few words on Tate Taylor’s “The Help,” which I caught this afternoon.

It’s a beautiful film, safe, sure, but it knows where to lay the emotional hammer down and where to let the rock keep skipping on the surface. Most striking is the ensemble, as there isn’t a single bad performance in the film. In fact, I’d say all of the them are comfortably above average, the highlights coming from Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer. But then Jessica Chastain was my personal favorite. Oh, and what about Sissy Spacek leaving you in the aisles?

More at the link.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Green Scar said:
Pretty sure my local skipped ToL too. Didn't bother me personally, but it's often the smaller films that get skipped- 'In the Loop' and 'Four Lions', for example. Plus they waited a week to start showing Black Swan, the bastards. Still, they could end up showing Drive in the end- their schedule's only added Attack the Block a week before release, heh.

The same cinema group that are screening The Tree of Life here also screen their fair share of (even more so) limited release films and even foreign films. 'Tis nice, but again it's a fair trek. It'd be amazing if they opened up down here. Knowing my luck I'll be heading up to the city to go see Arrietty, Drive, Violet & Daisy, and whatever else particularly tickles my interest.

harSon

Banned
Expendable. said:
I know it isn't GAF's thing but the very trustworthy Kris Tapley at In Contention had some high praise for it, posted today.

‘The Help’ and the year’s best ensemble performance…so far

More at the link.

Honestly, I don't care if it's good, I'm just personally sick of seeing the 'white person helping black folk' angle of every story. Sprinkle in a throwback to black people as servants, an old Hollywood staple, and you have a recipe for something I'm never going to watch.

I don't even know who wrote the book or is directing the film, but considering the subject matter, I can guarantee they're not black lol.

Robot 492

Banned
The trailers and ads for The Help made it look like a shitty ABC Family movie. I'll pass unless the reviews are great.

Jburton

Banned
Green Scar said:

Oh, I'll see this. Too much of a fan of the show not too. Cringeworthy as all fuck though.

Brilliantly funny series the Inbetweeners is, but your right it is crude, rude and downright awesome.

big ander

Only two I'll be seeing for sure: Our Idiot Brother and Apes. Was going to see Apes as a joke because of how bad it looks, but I guess it's okay? Who knows.

I'd like to see Bellflower but won't because it's limited as fuck, same with Senna I'm sure. The Help has looked pretty bad despite how much I like Chastain and Stone, but I might see it.

UrbanRats

harSon said:
Honestly, I don't care if it's good, I'm just personally sick of seeing the 'white person helping black folk' angle of every story. Sprinkle in a throwback to black people as servants, an old Hollywood staple, and you have a recipe for something I'm never going to watch.
Well, i thought the same, looking at the trailer.
It has that "made for white soccer moms that wants to feel good about racism" vibe, similar to the "i have a black friend" thing.
I mean the "evil racist" Howard character seems so blatantly cartoony, it's hard to take it seriously.

But hey, i could be wrong.

Guzim

Expendable. said:
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (Troy Nixey; Aug. 26th)

Guy Pearce and Katie Holmes
d602l.jpg

sans_pants

avec_pénis
was i the only one that burst out laughing at the apes in planet of the apes rushing the military and taking them down?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Rise of the Planet of the Apes? Fuck that shit. It looks terrible.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Hmm August is looking pretty weak. I think I'll see Conan and perhaps Final Destination.

Iceman

Rise: for sure.

FD5: i'm a sucker for this franchise.. only "horror" movie (more like suspense or survival thriller?) that I enjoy.

and maybe Help: who of us hasn't fallen in love with Emma Stone? don't lie. Also want to see Bryce Dallas Howard in a decent role. I'm still really impressed with what she did in the Village.

other maybes: Senna and My/Our Idiot Brother.. love that cast.

Raxus

I am shocked Rise of the Planet of the Apes is good. Talk about a bad marketing campaign. 30 Minutes or Less seems to be the only movie I care to see this month. Sloooooow month for movies.

When the %&#* am I getting Attack the Block? They better show it in my town.

Also, MST3K is having a special Rifftrax Live! August 17th. I want to go there.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
AgentChris said:
This makes no sense.

I have to see Conan because it's Conan. Also Momoa won some points with me for his Khal Drogo rendition. As for Final Destination, it's just a guilty pleasure, even though the last one was god awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom