• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films To See In August (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean

Banned
Colombiana is the only one I'm interested in this month. Zoe Saldana is hot, has the writers of Taken, and the director of Taken 2. Should be a fun action flick.

WeeBey

Neo Member
icarus-daedelus said:
The Apes movie may yet turn out to not be good. A lot of movies apparently start out with high RT ratings that lower as more reviews come in.

Also, maybe low expectations are leading to more positive reviews, because nobody really thought it would be decent at all. Or something.

I don't know, most of the positive reviews are very enthusiastic. The few negative reviews are kind of soft. The movie also currently has a perfect score among top critics, this will likely change but it's very encouraging. Another positive indicator is the 7.1 out of 10 rating.

We'll see where it goes but I doubt the movie will drop to rotten status.

Chris R

Sean said:
Colombiana is the only one I'm interested in this month. Zoe Saldana is hot, has the writers of Taken, and the director of Taken 2. Should be a fun action flick.
I was interested until I saw it is rated pg-13. Will rent an unrated cut if it ever comes out.

WeeBey

Neo Member
Quick Rotten Tomatoes update for the Aug 5th movies:

Rise of the Planet of the Apes is certified fresh. It's at 82% overall and 94% for top critics. Looks like this might be the summer blockbuster this year.

Bellflower isn't certified yet but it's doing well at 88 percent.

The Whistleblower is hovering around the high 60s. Also not certified.

The Change-Up is rotten at 24 percent.

Not too many reviews for Magic Trip but it is fresh right now at 62 percent. If more reviews come in it is danger of hitting rotten status.

Also few reviews for Mysteries of Lisbon but it's currently fresh at 69 percent.

The Japanese flick Cold Fish is also doing alright at 71 percent but, again, not too many reviews for this one.

faridmon

Why is Brighton Rock as a Metnee? It was out in UK for weeks earliaer this year and it was recieved positively. I haven't watched it, but the people who watchde it said that it was amazing.

faridmon said:
Why is Brighton Rock as a Metnee? It was out in UK for weeks earliaer this year and it was recieved positively. I haven't watched it, but the people who watchde it said that it was amazing.

Really? I've heard quite mixed things.

big ander

I would not recommend The Change-Up. Horrible Bosses is a better recent R-rated comedy. The Change-Up just doesn't do enough with the body switch premise to keep it interesting for long. The acting is pretty fine from Reynolds and Bateman, Wilde doesn't get a lot to work with but she's smoking hot, and Mann is awesome. But I found it all tiring.

Natiko

Banned
I already have plans to see 30 Minutes or Less with my girlfriend, lots of good movies coming out this month though. Probably gonna end up seeing a few of them.

swoon

why would you feel the need to remake brighton rock anyway? it's dumb how there isn't 'net rage about this or tinker tailor either.

swoon

the tv show is amazing though. i mean if the twitter film scene can get all in arms about every nerd culture remake being option they should at least make a stand when actual worthwhile properties are being produced.

swoon said:
the tv show is amazing though. i mean if the twitter film scene can get all in arms about every nerd culture remake being option they should at least make a stand when actual worthwhile properties are being produced.

But this doesn't look like a cheap cashgrab like most remakes. It is culling together some of the most talented people in Hollywood and all the trailers have looked outstanding. I don't see the problem.

swoon

Expendable. said:
But this doesn't look like a cheap cashgrab like most remakes. It is culling together some of the most talented people in Hollywood and all the trailers have looked outstanding. I don't see the problem.

wait which one? brighton rock looks forgettable. tinker looks fine, but unnecessary.

but the greater issue is that i doubt the enthusiast press has see the wonderful original brighton rock and doesn't know to be stunned they would try to remake it. and people got miffed by the third man or the thing being optioned, not even giving it a chance to turn out just fine like tinker or let me in.

Expendable. said:
Just put together a draft for September. It is insane, every film in the top 10 looks stellar.

Also 30 Minutes or Less joins the Tomatometer at 67%.

And I just watched Senna. Should have been #1, wish I saw it before I made this.
Wow.

I'm Brazilian and I still haven't watched it. And Senna is the only person close to an idol for me. I cried as a baby when he died, I remember as if it were yesterday.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Really excited for My idiot brother since It stars two of my celeb crushes Zooey Deschanel and Rashida Jones and an overall great cast. I also heard about a certain scene involving both actress which I hope is true ;p I do have to admit that the director is kind of eh especially since his last film The Ex was forgettable.

Oh yeah also catching Fright Night for the 3rd time. Don't sleep on it, the movie was probably one of my favorite movies I've seen this year and still feel that those damn ember effects were worth it for the 3D premium lol.

Amagon

Expendable. said:

Great interview Expendable! It was good to hear that Asif had so much footage and ideas for the film. I really do hope there is a director's cut of this film with all of the cut footage when it comes out. I really can't wait to see this movie now!

jett

D-Member
Senna is fantastic.

BTW Expendable how could your reviewer not know anything about Ayrton Senna before watching the movie? Jesuschrist. :lol

jett said:
Senna is fantastic.

BTW Expendable how could your reviewer not know anything about Ayrton Senna before watching the movie? Jesuschrist. :lol

I had ZERO idea who he was before I heard about the film about Sundance. Formula Racing is probably the least popular thing in the world where I grew up in Western NY.

I certainly adored the film though.

jett

D-Member
Expendable. said:
I had ZERO idea who he was before I heard about the film about Sundance. Formula Racing is probably the least popular thing in the world where I grew up in Western NY.

I certainly adored the film though.

Man, well, okay. I guess it made for a vastly different experience. It's such a fantastic film. Near the end it made me want to believe that things would end differently, but I knew what was coming.

jett said:
Man, well, okay. I guess it made for a vastly different experience. It's such a fantastic film. Near the end it made me want to believe that things would end differently, but I knew what was coming.

Yeah, I knew what happened just from people talking about the film but it still devastating.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Smh at the op recommending the Change Up over Attack the Block and all the unnecessary ape hate. I had no interest in seeing Rise of the Planet of the Apes, but I did based on the glowing reviews, and it is one of the best movies of the year. I convinced someone who hated the franchise to go see it, and he came back and said it was a fantastic film.

Eggo said:
Smh at the op recommending the Change Up over Attack the Block and all the unnecessary ape hate. I had no interest in seeing Rise of the Planet of the Apes, but I did based on the glowing reviews, and it is one of the best movies of the year. I convinced someone who hated the franchise to go see it, and he came back and said it was a fantastic film.

Attack the Block came out in July and it was the #1 film on that list: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=435787

Wow, Senna and Bellflower in the same month and then Drive in September. Car guys are finally getting some action.

I have seen Senna and it is beyond words amazing. Yes, I might worship him as the greatest driver of all time but the movie was amazing. Really well done with some incredible footage of the master working his craft. If you are even remotely interested in racing, you have to see it.

faridmon

Expendable. said:
Really? I've heard quite mixed things.
I can see why. The movie is aimed at specific audience (hence me not having watched it) but for who like romantic movies with bit of mystery thrown in, the movie is well done. I remember being fond of the cinematography and the colour palett of the movie.
swoon said:
why would you feel the need to remake brighton rock anyway? it's dumb how there isn't 'net rage about this or tinker tailor either.
Its a well made remake from fans of teh original movie. Also, I read somehwre that the director felt that the actors could (and did) better job at inducing emotions to the movie.

big ander

Eggo said:
To be fair, seems like most people have been "hating on" Apes because of the godawful trailers. Even that international trailer is pretty iffy. People have been seeing it anyway and enjoying it.

mr stroke

The Help is getting great reviews-74% on RT

I thought the previews looked like ass, but I guess Ill have to check it out this weekend

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
mr stroke said:
The Help is getting great reviews-74% on RT

I thought the previews looked like ass, but I guess Ill have to check it out this weekend

The Help was fucking terrible, stay away man.

I will watch Bellflower, Cold Fish, and Apes sometime this week. Thank you Drafthouse for picking up Bellflower and Cold Fish. Will try and go see The Trip before it leaves the Violet Crown and I think the Guard is coming soon too.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
AlternativeUlster said:
The Help was fucking terrible, stay away man.

I will watch Bellflower, Cold Fish, and Apes sometime this week. Thank you Drafthouse for picking up Bellflower and Cold Fish. Will try and go see The Trip before it leaves the Violet Crown and I think the Guard is coming soon too.
so insane. so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom