• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“ A Connection Has Been Made/lost “

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
How can we feel and care about a fictional character found in a virtual world .. I always ask myself this question . That connection between the game and the player is what made me into gaming a lot , but some mistook the principle of how can we make that connection happen? , in a smooth way so the player and the game don’t fall apart and leads to losing both the audience and the possibility of going forward with it.
Since the first PlayStation until now I was introduced to many games with different worlds and characters .. some created that connection and some tried but never got there , as gamers all we wanted was to have fun and kill that free time but as we moving forward we wanted more and more and the best “ more ” we got was to bring a world with its problems and it’s characters to life at least in the eyes of the players . Making that connection has nothing to do with “ more detailed world “ or “ realistic graphics “ it was never about that but the story , the characters and their background and the way they tell that story . Me myself I was introduced to this connection with Metal Gear Solid on PlayStation One , from there I was taken to another level to deal with games other than having fun only . With time games has improved a lot when we look at graphics and visuals , and that connection we talked about must be more powerful to the players since everything is coming closer to realism, but no it doesn’t work like that ...
•Solid snake

•Ezio the assassin

•Jill valentine

•Geralt the Witcher

•James from silent hill

•Joel from the last of us
And many characters ..

All of these names has nothing to do with our reality but yet we care about everything happen to them to their families to their horses too ( don’t worry roach I got you ) , but is it enough ? To have an interesting character only ?

Absolutely not , the story the way they deliver it to players is more important than making a game more realistic in every aspect. delivering a worthy story that connect a player with its character through out the world is not an easy task nor a tough one . Building a story from the ground is not easy for the developers to make or predict that connection , it has to be smooth but it’s not a tough one if you already made that !

The best example of losing the sight of that principle is The Last of us Part 2 and I can list more games but it’s the newest one so I thought I could address the issue here .. developers of this game really did make that connection in the first game no doubt about that , the connection came to life through a father and his daughter. The Last of Us did focus on characters and their background , the story of each one of them even if some has no background but at least gave more than what we expect , simple line “ a father and a daughter “ but a strong one that made that connection happen in the smoothest way ever . Part 2 , they never made it strong nor hold the connection from getting lost or weak.. at least for me .

Destroying the connection or making it stronger is an art and a difficult task for both ..

for example breaking a door in a game , made the connection between the player and the world even stronger but in another game with the same action just made it weak and may lead to losing it , the difference is the first did that after completing the journey that supposed to be telling to the player since he got attached to the world but the second did that even before doing anything in that process .

We lost the connection for some games years ago and from here I wish we see no other games going on that road

I know it’s a goddamn long ass thread but I hope I addressed some useful things

Last edited:
I know it’s a goddamn long ass thread but I hope I addressed some useful things
It would be about half as long if you did not hit <Enter> so many times between each paragraph!

Like this post!
How can we feel and care about a fictional character found in a virtual world .. I always ask myself this question . That connection between the game and the player is what made me into gaming a lot , but some mistook the principle of how can we make that connection happen? , in a smooth way so the player and the game don’t fall apart and leads to losing both the audience and the possibility of going forward with it.
The first character I felt some connection to was Alys from Phantasy Star on the SMS, or maybe Zelda (link)... jump a little further Gordon Freeman from Half-Life 2, Kratos has been great too--despite the misgivings some have with him.

Top Bottom