• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ Reboot Moving Forward With A Female Lead

llien

Back in 2018, reports surfaced that Disney was set to reboot their blockbuster franchise, Pirates of the Caribbean. Since then, fans have been wondering what would that mean for Johnny Depp’s Captain Jack Sparrow, well I can say don’t expect him to return.

According to insider Daniel Richtman, studio is in fact going the reboot route, and are currently looking for a female lead, and one name at the top of Disney’s list to lead the reboot is Avengers: Endgame and Jumanji: The Next Level star Karen Gillan. This is something I can also confirm as I’ve heard rumblings of Gillan as early as last fall. As of now, it is unknown if the actress has had any formal talks with the studio, but the studio is definitely interested.

Another tidbit I hear is that the studio is also considering women of color for the role. Character and story details are being kept under wraps. Though fan speculation will go wild now that Gillan’s name has been mentioned, there could be a possibility that the film will look to be centered on Redd, the popular female pirate featured in the Disney Parks attraction and is a meet-and-greet character.

NKDOM5C.jpg

Back in October, Disney tapped Chernobyl creator Craig Mazin and Ted Elliot, who wrote the previous Pirates films, to find a fresh new direction for the franchise. Jerry Bruckheimer and Chad Oman (Pirates of the Caribbean, National Treasure) will produce. A director has yet to be picked, but Disney has several names they’ve looked at, I won’t share the names I have heard for now, I’ll save that for a future scoop I’ve been working on. The budget on the film is north of $100M and is being made for a theatrical release, despite rumors of a Disney+ series.
Though Depp’s involvement has yet to be addressed by Disney, this is indeed a reboot, so it is unlikely he returns. Back in 2018, President of Walt Disney Studios Motion Picture Production, Sean Bailey, spoke with The Hollywood Reporter regarding the reboot and avoided the question of Depp’s involvement, here’s what he had to say:

“We want to bring in a new energy and vitality. I love the [Pirates] movies, but part of the reason Paul and Rhett are so interesting is that we want to give it a kick in the pants. And that’s what I’ve tasked them with.”

thedisinsider.com

Not sure what to think about "without Depp" and "female lead", but good to see they don't give up on the latter.

jason10mm

Gold Member
What is there to reboot? A girl with a dad stuck on the Flying Dutchman who has the last piece of cursed gold and is in love with a colonial governor's daughter? THATS the plot they want to salvage?

Although a hard R reboot with these pirate ladies I would be down for!

uZG7mQA.jpg

Last edited:
Love Karen Gillan, but I don't trust a production team that starts with their leads genitals and works backwards to be able to write either a good character, nor one with with any degree of femininity.

It's depressing how much distrust I have of Hollywood these days when it comes to female led action/adventure movies. Those always used to be some of my favourite flicks.

Zenaku

I'm conflicted between my distaste for modern day PC culture and my love for Karen Gillan.

Forget the reboot and just have Karen take over, with Depp in a supporting role maybe?

Love Karen Gillan, but I don't trust a production team that starts with their leads genitals and works backwards to be able to write either a good character, nor one with with any degree of femininity.
Luckily I don't think even modern day PC culture could destroy Karen's femininity. Even as an alien cyborg she was still all woman.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned

It's depressing how much distrust I have of Hollywood these days when it comes to female led action/adventure movies. Those always used to be some of my favourite flicks.

Remember Tomb Raider with Angie when she still had tits

ManaByte

lmao watch Disney cast Amber Heard as Capt. Jackie Sparrow.

They'll remove the focal point of the franchise, replace him and the script with a super woke agenda, and then it'll be our fault when it tanks cause were all a buncha mysogonists or something.

It’s based on the redhead from the ride.

And anyone who doesn’t want to see Karen Gillan as a pirate can fuck right off.

giphy.gif

Riven326

Banned
No Depp = No Pirates
Captain Jack Sparrow is the very heart and soul of the franchise. Might as well make an Indiana Jones movie without Indy.
My thoughts exactly. The female lead, I can take it or leave it. I don't really care. But Depp was amazing in the first film and was at least good in 2 and 3.

What if they went with the ultimate troll move and make Heard the new lead. Could you imagine?

I like Karen Gillan a lot. She’d be great. I dunno what the storyline would focus on, maybe more just treasure hunting?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Depp will always be Pirates of the Caribbean, those movies exploded onto the scene in the early 2000s, they could make 500 of these movies, I'm a big fan of them and now that Depp is gone I think they'll manage without him, but I think Depp will always be Pirates of the Caribbean.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I don't mind a female lead in the way Orlando Bloom is the male lead of the first 3 movies, but no Depp no sell.

Nah, Depp is bored with Sparrow. Pirates 5 showed us that. It'll be nice to get some fresh characters in there. I just hope they don't try to make Jack 2.0 which becomes derivative.

Last edited:

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
Why reboot at all. Why not just tell story of another pirate based in the same universe and have some fun with it

ExpandKong

Banned
Why reboot at all. Why not just tell story of another pirate based in the same universe and have some fun with it

My guess is all the movies are about some dumb curse and at the end of the last one they undid all curses ever or something like that and now they aren’t talented enough to write one of these movies without some supernatural bullshit in it so 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, eh. Not surprising anymore. Karen is fine in more ways than one but the franchise is nothing without Depp.

cryptoadam

Banned
WTF Hollywood is so bored during Corona Chan they they started reading GAF. This is the future

I see that Disney wants to spread that Star Wars "sucsess" to Pirates. Bold strategy Cotton.

Its it going to be good? Or just a continuation of the moving trainwreck these movies have been post-Curse of the Black Pearl?

They're going to crank out another cleveland steamer on the movie going public and then blame sexism on why it failed, arent they?

EDIT: I got $5 that says they are going to make a female version of Jack Sparrow in one form or another.

Last edited:
So why did this movie fail? Oh, too soon?

Anyway, Jack Sparrow IS Pirates of the Caribbean. I think Jack was overused and he works best as a co-protagonist. But you can't have Pirates of the Caribbean without him.

Moogle11

Banned
Totally cool with a female lead. Hard to see this being very good without Captain Jack though as he was the focal point of the franchise.

That said, pirate stories always have potential if well written. So it may end up good, but not really feeling like PotC.

JLMC469

Banned
Don’t mind a female lead, but looking at the recent entries in the series and the past female led big budget films (apart from Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel which are superhero movies) this will most likely flop.

The series is dead. It has been for years.

Last edited:
My opinion is you either do Captain Jack right or don't do him at all. Go with a female lead, sure, but have Jack fully incorporated into the story, don't do a Jack-less Pirates movie and then have Jack show up in a post-credit tease. Either really have him in the movie or don't have him at all.

More of these? Fucking hell they peaked at the first movie. =P

Though I think they still make decent money even though nobody ever seems to say anything good about the last few. But hey, more movie junk they can further shit up the ride with!

Doom85

A pirate named Redd? I'm cool with it if Topher Grace also plays a pirate and every time he fucks up she's all, "I'll put my boot up your ass!" or just calls him a dumbass.

Ememee

The first one *barely* became great through Depps unorthodox portrayal (which the studio hated and balked agaibbt), and the rest of the series ($$ aside) became a convoluted, dwindling mess. So fuck it. It’s their money. Go wild you crazy bastards.

Last edited:
wasnt kiera knightly's character essentially the lead "good guy" (aside from sparrows piratey focus) for everything after the first movie?

i look forward to this becoming even more trivial fodder - at least they arent making a monkey island movie with Girlbrush Threepflower.

Last edited:

StormCell

Why do they feel like they have to continue making Pirates of the Caribbean movies? For the first decade or so of my life, they didn't make these movies. Now, they seem to think the money is in the series name. Make something new and original.

I do like the idea of a female lead or even a female pirate captain. Sounds hot.

Top Bottom