• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ Reboot Moving Forward With A Female Lead

Airbus Jr

Banned
No Jack Sparrow is a huge letdown

They already have female lead from the last movie ( Kaya Scodelario)

Why would they replace Jack with another one?

Last edited:

99hertz

I don't really care if they put an all female cast or LGBT crackheads as leads but usually with these kind of moves the studios make the movies turn out horrid. If it's good I will watch but it's probably going to be hot garbage.

Doom85

Man, everyone here praising Depp, but not a single word of praise for Geoffrey Rush as Barbossa? Dude was awesome in the role. In fact, the only real enjoyable scenes in 4 for me were the ones with him and Depp together (as the rest of the characters Depp interacted with just weren't interesting enough to make me care. It wasn't just that Jack Sparrow works better as the 2nd or 3rd main focus, but that virtually everyone else in 4 just wasn't that engaging to me).

It was cool hearing that for 2 they did not tell the cast he would be appearing in the final scene. So those looks of shock on the faces of Bloom, Knightley, and the others were legit.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm open minded about this. Maybe a new actress is what is needed to bring life back to this franchise. :)

Do you feel that the actors were the problem with the later Pirates films? Not the scripts, the overblown budgets, the reliance on CGI, or anything like that? What would casting an actress do to correct that? I just feel like the Bruckheimer machine is long been broken with this series, no amount of casting is gonna fix it.

Belmonte

Man, everyone here praising Depp, but not a single word of praise for Geoffrey Rush as Barbossa? Dude was awesome in the role. In fact, the only real enjoyable scenes in 4 for me were the ones with him and Depp together (as the rest of the characters Depp interacted with just weren't interesting enough to make me care. It wasn't just that Jack Sparrow works better as the 2nd or 3rd main focus, but that virtually everyone else in 4 just wasn't that engaging to me).

It was cool hearing that for 2 they did not tell the cast he would be appearing in the final scene. So those looks of shock on the faces of Bloom, Knightley, and the others were legit.

5Eo.gif

Yeah, the franchise is Depp AND Geoffrey Rush.

so is this gonna be based on that redhead pirate from the ride, which they inserted to replace the girls getting auctioned off because they didn't want to offend the SJWs?

zero expectation this will be good, since this is disney and all they care is about going woke. If they really want to do a fresh take, make it R rated.

TaySan

Banned
Do you feel that the actors were the problem with the later Pirates films? Not the scripts, the overblown budgets, the reliance on CGI, or anything like that? What would casting an actress do to correct that? I just feel like the Bruckheimer machine is long been broken with this series, no amount of casting is gonna fix it.
Depp made the original trilogy for me, but to be fair i haven't seen the latter movies.

Saber

Gold Member
Depp made the original trilogy for me, but to be fair i haven't seen the latter movies.

What makes Caribean special is the story/script. The other part is Depp himself.

No amount of female lead gonna save the film if its a corny, lamish and borefest to watch. Although I like the idea of re-using that other girl from the PoC 4. I think she has what it takes for the movie.

Man, everyone here praising Depp, but not a single word of praise for Geoffrey Rush as Barbossa? Dude was awesome in the role. In fact, the only real enjoyable scenes in 4 for me were the ones with him and Depp together.

Totally right. He, pretty much like Depp, are the very core of pirates: you can't trust them, easy to trick you and do whatever it takes to archieve their goals. Even siding with an enemy.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Yeah, seems like nobody cares about money anymore. Which is weird as hell to me. I dont get what's the end game for all these companies.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Disney is a hotbed of intersectionality, currently. But that doesn’t mean it’s built into their brand, it just means there are people who’ve ascended the ranks behind the scenes who are pushing for that.

All it will take are a couple box office flops to change the company’s direction. We don’t really need to do anything to make that happen.

Elcid

Banned
Hahahahahahahahahahaha. This is going to flop harder than my dick on a urinal on a drunken friday night.

Doom85

A female lead has to be a virtuous righteous patriarchy slaying queen, she cannot be goofy or have suspect morals, etc.

The 2nd film has Elizabeth pretty much straight up murder Jack. Yeah, it was sorta out of necessity, but IIRC in the 3rd one she gets properly chewed out for it.

And if the argument is "well, modern Disney won't do it", uh Zootopia only came out four years ago and had its female lead get super called out on her discriminatory views at the end of the 2nd act and she has to apologize a while later. And in terms of goody female leads, the exact same year Finding Dory came out and Dory was her usual lovable goofy self.

Pejo

What was the last great new IP movie that wasn't a reboot/remake/sequel? It feels like the 80s and 90s were brimming with creativity and now is completely gone in Hollywood. Now it's just, "let's make it again, but with a woman!". Short Circuit reboot incoming with Jeanette 6?

This is going to bomb like the all female cast of ghostbusters LOL
Charlies' Angels reboot.

Digging around. Life of the Party was a Back to School remake?? How dare they! (I will never watch it.)

"Life of the Party" (2018) Critics couldn’t help but notice a striking similarity between Melissa McCarthy in “Life of the Party” and Rodney Dangerfield in “Back to School.” Both films are raunchy comedies about middle-aged parents living it up on campus as they enroll back into college, but McCarthy and director Ben Falcone’s screenplay is credited as an original story.

I agree 10000000%. Sparrow and Barbossa saved 4, (which shouldn't have needed saving if they did Blackbeard right...)

sol_bad

Love Karen Gillan, but I don't trust a production team that starts with their leads genitals and works backwards to be able to write either a good character, nor one with with any degree of femininity.

It's depressing how much distrust I have of Hollywood these days when it comes to female led action/adventure movies. Those always used to be some of my favourite flicks.

And you don't think they discussed the leads genitals to begin with in the original film?
What is it with people?
If it's a Male lead, genitals aren't discussed.
If it's a female lead, genitals were the first thing discussed.
Weird way of thinking.

Mister Wolf

It can work but I doubt it will. Most of these writers are not good enough so they attempt to elevate women at the expense of men in the story. This usually leads to a story that neither men or women want to see.

PanzerAzel

Depp IS the reason I’m even bothered to watch a pirates film. If another actor, male or female, can create another lead as compelling and entertaining as Depp accomplished without shamelessly aping his characterization then sure, I’m game.

But I doubt it’s possible. This is a franchise that should be laid to rest, frankly.

I think this is the right move, I was tired of Depp by the last few films, he just became more and more of a spoof of himself. His character got boring and cliche very quickly.

cormack12

Gold Member
They missed their chance to do this properly, the groundwork was there with Elizabeth and Will - and even Barbossa to an extent, but they committed to making it POTC: Jack Sparrow just like 007: James Bond. This will go down like a lead balloon. I don't think the women in Pirates have been well cast. Kiera Knightley, Penelope Cruz and Kaya Scodelario all underwhelmed. I liked Karen Gillan in Jumanji but she doesn't have the presence to carry a film like this.

They could probably wrangle a Pirates of the 'new region' and recast it that way, but I think using POTC is a big mistake. It's like the Bourne Legacy. It just won't work.

Kite

To me it almost seems unfair to whoever is the female lead replacing Depp, it's inevitable that they're going to be compared instead of having a chance to succeed or fail on her own. This better be a legendary performance or it'll be seen as a downgrade. It's like trying to be the replacement for Michael Jordan or Tom Brady.. good luck, gonna need it.

Top Bottom