• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ Reboot Moving Forward With A Female Lead

9Z2N5IA.jpg

"Booty"

"Heave ho"

"Scuttlebutt"

"Yo ho ho"

...where can I download this?

DESTROYA

I get that these “Pirate of the Caribbean” movies bring big bucks for Disney but why do a complete reboot and wipe away the past series.
Why not just a continuation of the series just with new characters like they do with the Star Trek tv show.

nush

Gold Member
As if Disney were not losing enough money right now. Historically Pirate motives have been bombas and it's only POTC that was the outlier. The female lead Cutthroat Island should be required viewing for the decision makers.

McCheese

Urg, so they made the movies with Depp and then added a bunch of supernatural shit to the ride. Then recently they updated the ride so instead of being a "wench for sale" the redhead is now a pirate captain pillaging rum, they don't even do the "we wants the redhead" line anymore. So I'm pretty sea-salty about what Disney has done to the ride to make it more family-friendly since the films took off.

Now the original version of the ride (back when she was a "wench for sale") had a little Easter egg, in the gift shop, there was a picture of "Redd the captain" which implied that the wench who was taken, went on to become the captain - and is also where folks got her name from.

Would be neat if the film retconned both the ride changes and film by following that original 1950's easter-egg plot, but it's probably too similar to Knightly's character arc in the first film (kidnapped, proves herself, ends up giving the orders).

Last edited:
Depp was good as a back up. Yes he carried the film but later on when they focused on his character too much it became ridiculous. Have him in there but not as the main character like the first one.

there are plenty of badarse female pirates to base this on. I reckon “back from the dead red” who had hundreds of pirates under her command and took over a bloody island,

Again this forum falls over themselves to make something “woke”. It’s not woke, they are just looking at something the franchise hasn’t done before.

Just to repeat what's been said in this thread

No deep, no pirates. Even the shittest movie of the series was carried by Depp.

I'm down for a female lead or a different lead but Sparrows eccentricity is needed or it's just another pirate movie

Javthusiast

Banned
Depps performance got more tired and less fun with every sequel. And I enjoyed them all. He was the best in the first movie.

Give me a good fun pirate adventure with a female lead that isn‘t trying to be woke and I have zero issues.

Valonquar

So they went to all the trouble of adding Depp into the park rides, and NOW they reboot? I mean , whatever, I guess. The last couple of films were utter trash.

JSoup

Banned
I'd probably watch it eventually regardless.
But no one watched PotC for the characters or whatever.
They watched it cause Deep's performance was amazing that's goddamn it.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The franchise is dead already. Last two films were poor. Rebooting it with Karen Gillan as the lead isn't going to save it. Just let it die.

Saber

Gold Member
Oh yeah, the reboot no one needs or cares. And gender swaping, what a plus.

Can't wait to see pirates no killing anyone, not pillaging, not getting drunk, not fighting, etc. Extra points if it shows women kissing at the end.

Last edited:

YCoCg

The film's have been trash outside of the original trilogy anyway (which only had one great film and two OK but visual marvels), and to be honest I'm still salty at how Disney pulled their bullshit and bought out the rights to Tim Powers "On Stranger Tides" (a fantastic book) only to completely butcher it and shove it out at that abomination of a POTC movie which maybe had like 5% of the books plot in there.

Whitesnake

Banned
No need to reboot, though I guess they want to ground the franchise name into dust to get every last penny out of it.

I have no issues with a female pirate lead, so long as the actor is actually good and the character isn’t a woke mary sue. And, if the report is true that they‘re specifically seeking women of color, then there’s a high chance she will absolutely be a mary sue.

A lack of Johnny Depp would definitely diminishes my interest in the franchise. He has been vindicated of his supposed wrongdoings, and to continue the series without Depp as Jack Sparrow seems foolish.

The only genuinely good Pirates movie was the first one. The second and third suffered from "Matrix Syndrome" where it was obvious they tried to make a trilogy out of a standalone film. I don't really want to speak of the 4th and 5th movies.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
No Depp = No Pirates
Captain Jack Sparrow is the very heart and soul of the franchise. Might as well make an Indiana Jones movie without Indy.

Don't give them any ideas.

Theres also a 90% chance given the buzzwords in the article, that those words will also constitute 100% of the character development in this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Von Hugh

Spend hundreds of millions on a movie only to achieve small profit and let down of the fans. Not the best way to end a franchise.

JSoup

Banned
This just popped into my head.
You know who I'd like to see play Jack Sparrow if Depp can't?
Tommy Wiseau.
No, really. It would almost be a more realistic Jack Sparrow. All the odd bullshit but completely off putting.

Super Mario

Banned
Whenever a reboot is announced, everyone pisses and moans that there are no "new ideas". I actually welcome them. Especially if they make an old franchise, feel fresh.

This is not needed though. The last thing we need is a woman role either A. trying to be funny, but falling short, or B. not being able to live up to Depp. Jack Sparrow is one of those iconic roles.

Xenon

Hopefully the new lead doesn't have 33% less booty, but with Karen Gillan that's physically impossible.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I mean the first was an ok film lifted to excellence by Depp being bloody brilliant. Outside of him nobody was particularly interesting. As is typical of Disney, they don't realise which elements of a 'franchise' carry the value.

Alx

I mean the first was an ok film lifted to excellence by Depp being bloody brilliant. Outside of him nobody was particularly interesting. As is typical of Disney, they don't realise which elements of a 'franchise' carry the value.

While Depp was the most enjoyable part of the movie, he wasn't the only thing that was appreciated then. The special effects for the ghosts, ugly pirates with complex code, flashy sword fighting and intense ship battles... There's more to the movie than Jack Sparrow.

oagboghi2

Depp was good as a back up. Yes he carried the film but later on when they focused on his character too much it became ridiculous. Have him in there but not as the main character like the first one.

there are plenty of badarse female pirates to base this on. I reckon “back from the dead red” who had hundreds of pirates under her command and took over a bloody island,

Again this forum falls over themselves to make something “woke”. It’s not woke, they are just looking at something the franchise hasn’t done before.
And as usual some people continue to live in denial

Top Bottom