• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Castlevania: Nocturne’ Renewed for Season 2 at Netflix

Draugoth

Gold Member
Castlevania__Nocturne_u_S1_E4_00_12_20_16-copy.jpg

Castlevania: Nocturne” has been renewed for Season 2 at Netflix.

The news comes just over a week since the debut of the show’s first season, which launched on Netflix on Sept. 28.

“Thanks to all of the ‘Castlevania’ fans old and new for the amazing response and support!” said series creator and co-showrunner Clive Bradley and co-showrunner Kevin Kolde. “We are excited to be able to bring you more ‘Castlevania: Nocturne’ and the next chapter in the rise of Richter Belmont.”

Via Variety

K' Dash

I thought that was a given?

they better finish that shit story, I'm 6 episodes in, no turning back now.

Hudo

We live in a timeline where Netflix produce more Castlevania stuff than Konami.

... how about a new Castlevania, Konami? Come on, you want it. And I bet Koji Igarashi wants it as well.

Last edited:
What happened, did they go w0k3? Heard something on Twitter about a race swapped some such
…I typed out this long post but I’ll just save you time and say yea it’s woke.

I haven’t even watched the whole thing, but it’s better to just rip the bandaid off than to have people come into the thread whining about the skin color of certain characters.

I hope you eventually find the show you’re looking for out there.

drotahorror

What happened, did they go w0k3? Heard something on Twitter about a race swapped some such

I've only seen one episode so far, but there are definitely black people and women in it. If that means woke then...I guess?

First episode seemed ok though, might as well continue with it I enjoyed the other Castlevania series well enough.

I wish they had more recognizable music. That shit gets me hype when I hear something I recognize.

Last edited:
…I typed out this long post but I’ll just save you time and say yea it’s woke.

I haven’t even watched the whole thing, but it’s better to just rip the bandaid off than to have people come into the thread whining about the skin color of certain characters.

I hope you eventually find the show you’re looking for out there.
Not to sound sappy or whatever but shit like this has me wishing that all the other races around the world were doing the Korean thing and making their own shows for streaming or whatever, coz then we'd all see just how non-woke the world actually is.

F#cking hard to find black characters in good action flicks who aren't woke.
Thanks for the tip off

I've only seen one episode so far, but there are definitely black people and women in it. If that means woke then...I guess?

First episode seemed ok though, might as well continue with it I enjoyed the other Castlevania series well enough.

I wish they had more recognizable music. That shit gets me hype when I hear something I recognize.
I can't speak for everyone but I don't have an issue with black people an women in shows, what sucks is when the whole thing is used to talk about some current social issue when I came here to see some cool sh*t.

It sucks to see black people in my favourite shows and franchises because I'm half expecting a "message" to be thrown at me over it by some self proclaimed "ally", Jesus Christ its exhausting

drotahorror

I can't speak for everyone but I don't have an issue with black people an women in shows, what sucks is when the whole thing is used to talk about some current social issue when I came here to see some cool sh*t.

It sucks to see black people in my favourite shows and franchises because I'm half expecting a "message" to be thrown at me over it by some self proclaimed "ally", Jesus Christ its exhausting

I mean I get it, and there could very well be some dumb shit in this. Episode one didn't have anything though, but there's hope!

I was watchin this movie, Totally Killer, yesterday and they had to throw in a couple of stupid messages as the movie has a girl from 2023 traveling back to 1987.

Not to sound sappy or whatever but shit like this has me wishing that all the other races around the world were doing the Korean thing and making their own shows for streaming or whatever, coz then we'd all see just how non-woke the world actually is.
They tried doing this. For multiple reasons it has a hard time working. If you truly wish to know why, listen to any black creatives talk about this in interviews or read about it. Damon Wayans, Spike Lee, John Singleton, etc. There were multiple roadblocks out in front of them and moments where movie studios and TV networks would constantly set up limitations or send their shows to die(late night, network switching, telling them to stick to BET, little to no promotion, little pay, bad contracts, black quota, advertising only to black neighborhoods and no one else, etc.).

It was a bunch of little touches that would slowly erode black entertainment in media and keep it contained to very few avenues. There’s more to it, but it’s also why black gangster movies, slave movies, and black comedies were the main ones prevalent in theaters for a long time even though there were other types of movies they were attempting to do. Even then it wasn’t always a guarantee that these movies would reach other races of people, and that was the problem, because movies made by other races and countries would reach black people more often(Hong Kong Action Cinema for example).

There’s more but I won’t bother typing it all. The information is out there if you truly want to find and are truly curious why people aren’t doing what you want in your quote. Black creatives are in a better spot now in 2023 at least, but their new roadblock is trying to convince certain online audiences that their show isn’t ‘woke’ without needing to be stereotypical of a black experience.

F#cking hard to find black characters in good action flicks who aren't woke.
The term woke has such a fluctuating, catch-all definition that I simply do not know what this sentence means 🤷‍♂️

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Dont care about the original lore so for me it was on par with the last Castlevania ... yes it is very "modern" to not say the other word... but I was able to see trough that and enjoy to some extent... probably just like the other show eventually ill loose interest.. thats so much "modernity" I can take until my brain melts

It was a bunch of little touches that would slowly erode black entertainment in media and keep it contained to very few avenues.
Thanks for making an honest effort in your response without resorting to calling me c00n.

You point out some true stuff I've heard about, which I can't deny, BUT, there seems to be a different form of the same issue in 2023, not necessarily a positive change.

What I mean is that the people getting picked to write the TV shows or action flics seem to be wannabe activists themselves.

They want to add "social issues" into everything from a single easily identifiable perspective.

They sloppily add social issues into the escapism because they want to, and they take any criticism thrown their way as some sort of ism or phobia (look at the new Robyn hood for example) even if black people don't like it.

I can't tell if it's companies going overboard in trying to be PC or if it's something else but, why oh why, are they hiring people with like no skill or experience at writing or directing?

They can't weave their message into the story naturally or even cast a movie without making half assed social statements,
The term woke has such a fluctuating, catch-all definition that I simply do not know what this sentence means 🤷‍♂️
I understand, there's too many people using the word to complain about whatever they don't like, (far R1ght extremists tend to do this, especially the ones who claim to be religious) but most of us (or maybe it just me I don't know) mean forcing your beliefs onto everyone and into everything under the guise of righteousness and progressivism, mainly done by far L£ft extremists &/or diet activists with dictatorial tendencies.

It is possible to be diverse, black or whatever else without being woke and preachy.

Genuine art is the key &
genuine art made from within a community can represent that community better than any company pushing fake DEI rubbish (rap music right?).

alot of the creators and people talking about representation just want a seat at the popular kid's table, they don't want to build their own ecosystems. Then they turn around and shit on Tyler Perry.

Like seriously why is it that rich and poor rappers always start their own labels and companies or whatever, but successful (black) people in film won't try their hand at independent distribution and production.

If you've heard of Vox Machina, you know what I mean, a bunch of voice actors literally got TV show crowd funded and made before Amazon Prime got involved (the show is definitely l3ft leaning, so you could call it woke but it never puts identity politics before it's story, its fun that does a decent job at being genuine).

Okay Ive gotten a bit long in the tooth with this response, sorry for rambling,

Last edited:

manfestival

btw
CALLED IT!
I just read your post and it is kinda funny how on the money your post was. Plus I don't play the games or know anything about the lore at all.

So yeah I have watched 4 episodes so far. Pretty much planning on finishing watching the season. Hmmm my impressions so far are....
woke? yeah for sure. There are some pretty lame counter points I have been reading in here but it feels like they had a checklist that they needed to go through and they did it. There have to be better ways to "disguise" these kinda things without being so "overt" about them.
Action: absolutely fantastic and probably the biggest strong point of the show. Even if some of the things I have seen in the action scenes don't make sense with some of the earlier established things with the characters(capabilities for example).
Animation: Honestly, I dig the animation and find it to be quite the beautiful show.
Story: I guess it is okay but I find it odd that there SEEMS to be a main character but then it also seems like there are side characters. Yet it is kind of hard to determine who the main character is. This isn't something like vox machina where things are handled better in that regard. Otherwise, it has been just okay as far as a revenge plot goes. The original show had a far more interesting story established on revenge than this by this point.
Characters: sadly, none of them are interesting to me. everyone is so black and white(no pun intended) with one track minds aside from the scheming vampire guy.
Despite the negatives for what they are. Definitely intending on watching this through to the end unless something horrendous appears that makes me just go... NOPE. I am thinking this is a 5-6/10 when it will be all said and done.

Top Bottom