• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Yo-Kai Watch’ beats ‘Star Wars’ ticket sales in Japan

sublimit

Banned
Glad to see that the majority of Japan's youth(the creators and developers of tomorrow) still prefer their own domestic entertainment over western influences.

Kieli

I am an expert in traditional Japanese culture and history.

Let me tell you, the Age of Star Wars is now over.

I don't understand how that mediocre pokemon rip-off sells so much. Seriously, wtf?
YW2 >>> Any Pokemon game I've played and I've played all the mainstream ones and a bunch of the spin-offs.

That said

MEDAROT MEDAROT MEDAROT MEDAROT MEDAROT WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

LordofPwn

Is it? Ticket sales are down ~500,000 from the first movie's opening weekend.
That's funny, I don't remember Star Wars being out the same weekend as the first one.

Not really, it sold about 500K tickets less in the same time frame as last year's film.

See this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=957289&highlight=
Look past the numbers you must.

2 big franchises clash at the box office and both of their numbers take a hit because of it. This is why at least in most of the world movie release dates are scheduled so far in advanced. Movie studios don't like to compete during the same weekends. If games could operate on that level you wouldn't get a tomb raider releasing on same date as fallout 4.

JoeM86

That's funny, I don't remember Star Wars being out the same weekend as the first one.

2 big franchises clash at the box office and both of their numbers take a hit because of it. This is why at least in most of the world movie release dates are scheduled so far in advanced. Movie studios don't like to compete during the same weekends. If games could operate on that level you wouldn't get a tomb raider releasing on same date as fallout 4.

Yo-kai Watch's date was announced a year ago :p

Kathian

Banned
Its clearly kids going to Yokai and bringing their parents. Star Wars is aimed at a nostalgic audience and still did well.

JoeM86

Yeah I've done some checking and it does make sense.

Yo-kai Watch tickets are cheaper, which is why Star Wars beat it out in revenue. They also ran a special promotion with booking tickets in advance for Yo-kai Watch. The more tickets you booked ahead of time, the more special gifts you received.

Takao

Banned

In the OP you'll notice that Toho is expecting a decline in total box office revenue for the movie.

Yo-Kai Watch's second movie was announced for a winter release in November 2014. The exact date was revealed in June. They're probably going to use a similar announcement pattern for the third movie.

Top Bottom