• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Yo-Kai Watch’ beats ‘Star Wars’ ticket sales in Japan

It seems the force is strong with Yo-kai Watch.

TOKYO — “Yo-Kai Watch the Movie 2: King Enma and the 5 Stories, Nyan!,” the second animated feature based on the popular Yo-Kai Watch role playing game, opened bigger than “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” in Japan in admissions terms. “Yo-Kai” sold 975,000 tickets for the Dec. 19-20 weekend.

That made it number one in Japan where box office rank is usually expressed by admissions, not revenue. “Yo-Kai” which is distributed by Toho, opened in 358 theaters and grossed $8.71 million.

Given the higher ticket prices being charged for “Star Wars” at the 371 theaters it is playing, “Star Wars” secured the top spot for weekend earnings.

“Star Wars” bowed on Friday Dec. 18, ahead of the normal weekend Saturday opening, on 958 screens. That was a record for the Japanese market, sparking complaints from online commentators that Disney was “arrogant” and “pushing a series past its sell-by date.” In three days it earned $13.3 million from 1.04 million admissions. Its weekend (Saturday and Sunday) admissions at 800,000, lagged “Yo-Kai Watch,” but were worth $10.3 million.

Toho is predicting that “Yo-Kai” will pass the JPY5 billion ($41 million) mark and could go as high as JPY6 billion ($49 million).

The first “Yo-Kai Watch” movie, released in December last year, finished with $64 million.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/japan-box-office-yo-kai-watch-beats-star-080805374.html

Japan's Weekend Box Office (December 19-20)

1 (new). "Yo-Kai Watch the Movie 2: King Enma and the 5 Stories, Nyan!"
2 (new). "Star Wars: The Force Awakens"
3 (1). "Orange"
4 (3). "Haha to Kuraseba"
5 (2). "Spectre"
6 (4). "Kamen Rider × Kamen Rider Ghost & Drive: Chou Movie War Genesis"
7 (5). "The Peanuts Movie"
8 (6). "Sugihara Chiune"
9 (9). "High☆Speed!: Free! Starting Days"
10 (7). "Kainan 1890"

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...ets-than-star-wars-the-force-awakens-in-japan

JeffGrubb

Star Wars made $13.5 million in Japan over the weekend. Yo-Kai Watch 2 made around $8.5 million.

So, yeah ....

Are kids tickets cheaper?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Yep, between these two franchises aimed at children, Yokai is more popular in Japan.

I'm so funny!!!

Het_Nkik

Star Wars made $13.5 million in Japan over the weekend. Yo-Kai Watch 2 made around $8.5 million.

So, yeah ....

Are kids tickets cheaper?

Probably cheaper because no IMAX and 3D showing of Yokai. Also maybe early in the day ticket sales since kids are seeing it (I don't know if Japan does the whole cheaper tickets earlier in the day that the US does).

geordiemp

Just goes to show for many things you have most of the world.....and Japan.

I have never and will never understand the japan taste for games.

tcrunch

Star Wars should have had a scene where Phasma and the stormtroopers do that stupid dance if Disney wanted Japan record.

Well, I did my part and saw the Force awakens with all my Japanese Co workers. None of them ever saw any of the previous ones but they enjoyed it!

For reference Revenge of the Sith made over 18 million during it opening weekend in Japan. Phantom Menace did marginally less with 12.9 million. Don't know how inflation and exchange rates of yen/dollar affect to these comparisons though.

Guymelef

For reference Revenge of the Sith made over 18 million during it opening weekend in Japan. Phantom Menace did marginally less with 12.9 million. Don't know how inflation and exchange rates of yen/dollar affect to these comparisons though.

They are just waiting for itunes and Google Play releases.

Will M

So Yo Kai Watch confirmed for the 2016 Rice Art?

SVCDTgb.jpg

Do you have the ticket numbers?

Can't find any ticket numbers sadly. Considering though how ticket prices have ballooned in most of developed countries with time my guess would be that the difference would be even bigger in terms of ticket sales. With todays exchange rate the dollar difference becomes a little smaller though. 17.55 million vs 13.3 million.

Edit. Found the admission numbers.

Admissions:
1.358 million for Revenge of the Sith
1.040 million for Force Awakens

Toxi

Banned
Seems like Star Wars is in decline there.

Tusk

The first movie was really good, I'm excited to watch this one. Anyone that's interested in the series but hasn't seen the first movie, really should get on that.

Toxi

Banned
The first movie was really good, I'm excited to watch this one. Anyone that's interested in the series but hasn't seen the first movie, really should get on that.
Better than the shitty Pokemon movies I assume.

Seems like Star Wars is in decline there.

At least during opening weekend. While Phantom Menace had lowest opening of the prequels overall it still sold most in Japan (Episode I ¥12.70 billion -> Episode II ¥9.35 billion -> Episode III ¥9.17 billion). Lets see the legs of Force Awakens.

Top Bottom