• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition Developer Q & A - Y U CHRGNG $60, CD?

can't wait for SE getting mad this didn't sell 11m units.

they really needa optimize stuff though, tressfx runs fine on pc for the most part but when you decide to left trigger to aim your weapon and all that tressfx is in your face.... poop goes performance.

Marcel

People would jump all over a GTA V Definitive Edition for $60 for Xbone/PS4.

I wouldn't considering Rockstar completely borked on the multiplayer, you know, the thing that is supposed keep people from selling the game after they finish the story?

inky

I felt bad for paying $5 for this instead of getting something like The Swapper or Brothers. I can't even imagine someone paying $60 again for just a rehash. What a ripoff.

What's this new face they are talking about? If anything, she looked pretty good already.

I wouldn't considering Rockstar completely borked on the multiplayer, you know, the thing that is supposed keep people from selling the game after they finish the story?

It still has a ton of side content. Tomb Raider was over in 10 hours and in my opinion had worse multiplayer than GTA Online. GTA V on next gen is a system seller no matter what.

Marcel

What's this new face they are talking about? If anything, she looked pretty good already.

It's in service of selling a "new" feature of the game. Wow, all the TressFX, sub-scaling, triangles, particles, HD 1080p pringles on her face. Amazing, right?

iammeiam

People would jump all over a GTA V Definitive Edition for $60 for Xbone/PS4. I wonder if the problem here isn't the price tag or the improvements but the game itself.

It's probably a combination of factors; GTAV is still hovering around ~$40 new, so tacking on a $20 remake fee would get you back to $60, a 50% increase in prices. TR, however, is fully tripling the going price for the new version, charging a $40 upgrade fee.

GTA also benefits from it being much less likely that the average player has completely exhausted the game's potential; TR: Facelift Edition is the exact same extremely linear setpiece-fest as the original, so if you've played through the original a few times and don't care about spending quality time with Lara Croft's new nose, there's not a whole lot left. GTAV's map is so damned big I'd imagine there are a lot of people who never fully explored it, and could do 'new' things on a port, even if it's just new to them.

I wouldn't pay full price for either, but I'm pretty sure I'd pay more for a GTAV port than I would for TR.

I really enjoyed this game on 360. I got it for $15.

I'd love to play it again on PS4, but I'm waiting for a sub $30 price for replay.

Shahed

Thing is if it was cheaper and with useful extras I may have considered it. But all the DLC is for a multiplayer mode I never bothered to boot up the first time around.

People would jump all over a GTA V Definitive Edition for $60 for Xbone/PS4. I wonder if the problem here isn't the price tag or the improvements but the game itself.

Would they though? If Rockstar ever did announce a PS4.X1 edition, I'd expect some kind of upgrade program similar to the one EA and Ubi current have...

God I hope so, I want to play the new version but I absolutely refuse to pay that much for it!

I'd be very surprised if it retained its value for more than a month. Hell, I'm expecting most stores to start cutting the price within a couple of weeks. Would be stupid not to...

60$ ?!, okay it is rental then.

It should have been released for 30$ or something at best, lame ass excuses, but then again it makes sense, Square Enix wants to cover up the shortcomings of TR2013 release, it was failure after all, Sigh

Are Lara’s looks already final?

I’d say Lara’s looks are just the start for what we will continue to evolve for all future iterations of Tomb Raider on next-gen.
I hate this, it means we will probably get different look with each game, it totally breaks immersion with the character, and I still haven't made up my mind which of the 2 versions we have now is a better Lara, in some scenes the Definitive Edition version looks really good, while in others it looks awful.

It is interesting that United Front Games helped though, one would have thought they are 100% focused on the next Sleeping Dogs ((Triad Wars)).

Considering you get the entirety of the game's premium multiplayer content people should be thankful they didn't raise the price.

Gimme 1080p at a locked 30fps with a relaunch/retune of GTAO and yeah, I'd be there day one. Again.

inky

It's in service of selling a "new" feature of the game. Wow, all the TressFX, sub-scaling, triangles, particles, HD 1080p pringles on her face. Amazing, right?

A good developer would just update their game with that shit for free if the intent is just to push technology get your marketing deals with AMD and buzzwords out there.

But I forgot this sold like 4 million and was deemed a failure, right? What a waste.

Kysen

The real question is why they spent a year working on porting a game with no real added content. Can SE really afford to have full development teams working on ports? Shouldn't they be working on a new title instead.

Seanspeed

Banned
Because console gamers will pay it.
I think that is largely why its not on the PC. They know PC gamers arent going to spend anything close to that when they have already been playing the game at 1080p or higher. Deus Ex directors cut is how you do it right, but you cant exactly sell the PC version for 1/4 the price of the console version for a new release game.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
$60 is asking too much of those who already played it, but they obviously think a good chunk of people will pay that, and they're probably right. As others have said in the thread, the price will probably drop faster than the average $60 release. If you were interested in the game but not enough to have already bought it, then you can probably wait the extra weeks or months for the drop.

I think that is largely why its not on the PC. They know PC gamers arent going to spend anything close to that when they have already been playing the game at 1080p or higher. Deus Ex directors cut is how you do it right, but you cant exactly sell the PC version for 1/4 the price of the console version for a new release game.

Also agree with this. They're capitalizing on the new console game drought. A PC definitive version wouldn't be worth much to any PC gamer, let alone a full $60.

Marcel

The real question is why they spent a year working on porting a game with no real added content. Can SE really afford to have full development teams working on ports? Shouldn't they be working on a new title instead.

CD is trying to make up for what the parent company has deemed a failure. Charging $60 for what is basically the same game is all they could come up with.

But what if I don't want to play multiplayer. What should I be expecting to pay then? You see about 1/5th of the interview was about the multiplayer. I have no interest in it. And the fact that the DLC given is mostly comprised of mulitplayer is sad.

If they actually give 2 proper DLC campaign then I might consider it.

I'll wait til it hits 39.99 a month later from release. We all know it's gonna happen, let's just wait til then.

well Nixxes probably handled the bulk of the porting, the main team is redoing Lara anyway, so they probably thought to test it on the Definitive Edition first, letting even UFG help them, I'd say that the bulk of Crystal Dynamics is working on TR2 already.

Synless

I already bought and played it once. I will rent it this time around just to see some of the graphical enhancements they have made. $60 is a joke for this.

Lal..
Bought the original for a bit more than a tenner a month after the release..
And Now they want 60dollah?
Ahhahahahhahaha

Haunted

Lara gets a new face? What?

YMZYNiw.png

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Given their answer to the "is it coming to other platforms" question, it sounds like it'll probably come out on PC. But $60 and (presumably) 30fps? That is a tough fucking pill to swallow.

Forsythia

This 'Definitive Edition' is so incredibly useless. What they should've done is strip the mulitplayer (no one cares and I hated grinding for those bloody achievements) and add a few actual tombs (and not ones you can finish in 5 minutes).

I love the main game, but no way I'm paying €60,- for this.

GrimmUK

Banned
Talking all this stuff about graphical improvements, yet no screenshots and the game is out next month.

Be very suspicious, lads.

scitek

Do you think it’s justified to sell a full-priced upgrade of the game so soon after the original’s release?

It’s a great question and while I don’t control sales or prices, what I do know is that Tomb Raider is an awesome game.

Nah. And the original Lara looked better.

Talking all this stuff about graphical improvements, yet no screenshots and the game is out next month.

Be very suspicious, lads.

Yeah, that too. Where`s the footage? Game is coming very, very soon, but they show nothing. I´m also pretty sure that the pc version of the original version will look much better, and the next gen "definitive version" wont have tessellation and the same great texture quality.

At least we know now that they are using FXAA - the cheapest and worst possible anti aliasing solution available - for this version. Yeah, welcome the blurriness.

Excited i`m...NOT.

Kysen

The framerate answer is telling, saying locked 30/60fps is easy but by the sounds of the response they are struggling.

Jedi2016

Typical PR bullshit, responding to questions is not the same as answering those questions. For example, regarding the new look.. the guy went on and on about how, but never actually addressed the question, which was "why". Because the answer isn't what gamers want to hear... some suit in a boardroom didn't think Lara was supermodel enough (that's what gamers want, right?) and demanded a redesign. The guy makes it sound like there were technological limitations affecting character design, which is ridiculous.

I'd like to see what DF says about this new version, and how "three full studios and over a year of work" make any difference at all. I'm wagering that, aside from the redesign, what we're seeing here is just a next-gen port of the PC version. Which is the real reason why the PC won't be getting this so-called "definitive" version. We already have it, and no PC gamer will spend $60 on a new copy of the exact same game.

Harts316

I paid $60 for the 360 version and I will be happy to double dip. Such an excellent game.

I don't understand the people complaining about the $60 price tag. Who are you kidding? Most of the people who played the game that are complaining would not have bought it even if it was $30. This game was made for people who did not get a chance to play it the first time around as well as the true fans. Nobody is forcing you to buy this game. Seems odd for people to get upset about this.

Top Bottom