• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's company culture.

kuroshiki

I didn't see this being posted.

Well, I translated it, so if you are better at Japanese or have better English translation skill, please do fix it at your own will.

I think I got the gist of the news, though.

Original can be found here
---------

Square Enix Holdings announced 540 million yen deficit (same quarter last year was 370 million yen profit) from April to November 2013.

The sales increased 6.2%, but showed -520 million yen operating profit. Out of all the large gaming companies in Japan, SE was the only one with deficit in this quarter.

So what kind of operating situation are they in?

"The rating system has no standard. We are trying to match the goal and reporting higher ups the progress, but it feels like those things do not matter in this company." 30 year old female worker was angry about rating system inside the company.

Also another worker in his late 30s, pointed out following things. “Each project has their own separate groups, and without the recommendation of a leader –producer- it is impossible to raise the rank in this company. It’s not the matter of how good you are at your job, it’s the matter how well you know the higher ups.”

“The culture of the company is that give loads of works to a worker and if he/she can’t follow, cut him/her out. Like they are trying to tell us ‘do not use your brain, use your body’”

One of the reasons of this quarter’s deficit was delay in products release.

“Workers are not happy about their rank, their payroll, and worried about their future. Motivation is low. Producer’s intentions were not reflecting in the final product so they are repeating again and again. This leads to delay.”

In the net, a lot of fans are showing their dissatisfaction. ‘Recent Dragon Quest has fallen victim to mannerism’, ‘I do not want to buy because there are just too many remakes’.

President Wada claimed ‘Japanese manufacturing is falling except cars. All of IT, business, couldn’t follow world’s trend. Square Enix is one of those few that can become the major player in world market’ in his recent interview.

This company's fucked.

Spin it all you want, but it's a sinking ship unless they take a long hard look at why they were one of the most prominent Japanese development houses in gaming.

kuroshiki

This company's fucked.

Spin it all you want, but it's a sinking ship unless they take a long hard look at why they were one of the most prominent Japanese development houses in gaming.

I remember in recent interview with one of oldies in Squaresoft that initially they were all fired up to make the best fun game in the world.

Apparently that's not the case anymore. T_T

Metallix87

They really need some new management. I'm still baffled by their insistence to continue with Final Fantasy XIII as it's own series, as well as by their logic in pouring so much time and money into rebuilding Final Fantasy XIV.

Drencrom

“The culture of the company is that give loads of works to a worker and if he/she can’t follow, cut him/her out. Like they are trying to tell us ‘do not use your brain, use your body’”

What?

kuroshiki

They're not fucked as long as they own Eidos

That depends. If the deficit outweighs profit for a long time, any company is fucked.

They really need some new management. I'm still baffled by their insistence to continue with Final Fantasy XIII as it's own series, as well as by their logic in pouring so much time and money into rebuilding Final Fantasy XIV.

I think the culture of Square Enix actually played a large role in continuing of FF13 as its own series.

President Wada claimed ‘Japanese manufacturing is falling except cars. All of IT, business, couldn’t follow world’s trend. Square Enix is one of those few that can become the major player in world market’ in his recent interview.

If you turn your company into a movie studio, you might compete with Pixar and Dreamworks with CGI effects.

Squaresoft.gif

Sigh...

Ravidrath

A lot of this stuff is endemic to Japanese companies on the whole, but maybe Square is worse than others.

Because of the sluggish economy, across many companies the upper management are holding onto their positions as long as possible, and it's preventing younger workers from moving up. As a result, there is a lot of nationwide demoralization in the workforce.

They're not fucked because they own Eidos

Fixed.

The 13s wasn't a bad idea, but like 14 on a smaller, less crash and burn way, executed shortsightedly and by a company seemingly bent on playing follower trying to make a big-budget JRPG instead of the once-kingmaker JRPG maker.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I can guarantee you that if Wada were hit by a bus today, Square-Enix would be on the road to recovery tomorrow.

Metallix87

13 wasn't a bad idea, but like 14 on a smaller, less crash and burn way, executed shortsightedly and by a company seemingly bent on playing follower trying to make a big-budget JRPG instead of the once-kingmaker JRPG maker.

13 wasn't a bad idea. 13-2 and 13-3 are the bad ideas.

kuroshiki

A lot of this stuff is endemic to Japanese companies on the whole, but maybe Square is worse than others.

Because of the sluggish economy, across many companies the upper management are holding onto their positions as long as possible, and it's preventing younger workers from moving up. As a result, there is a lot of nationwide demoralization in the workforce.

This.

It seems like entire Japan is dying. slowly, but surely. I don't see the motivation or energy anywhere...

but then again I better see the upcoming evangelion Q. =P

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Out of all the large gaming companies in Japan, SE was the only one with deficit in this quarter.

This is not true.

In the net, a lot of fans are showing their dissatisfaction. ‘Recent Dragon Quest has fallen victim to mannerism’, ‘I do not want to buy because there are just too many remakes’.

This is gibberish; DQ9 is the best-selling DQ of all time, the DQ remakes are all selling as good or better than earlier remakes, and DQ10 is about as close to a home-run sales hit as would even remotely be possible given the constraint of being a Wii-exclusive MMO.

kuroshiki

This is not true.

This is gibberish; DQ9 is the best-selling DQ of all time, the DQ remakes are all selling as good or better than earlier remakes, and DQ10 is about as close to a home-run sales hit as would even remotely be possible given the constraint of being a Wii-exclusive MMO.

Don't shoot the messenger. I just translated this. (shrug)

Coxy

ànd then he turned to his fortune teller and asked "what shall the worker bees toil on next?". 2 years cropping and pasting concept art and renders for gree card games? Oh inspiring swami. a year making rocks to put in places no-one will ever set foot in FF14? Oh glorious guru. Help me mold the talent of tomorrow.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Aside from generic problems infesting Japanese companies, this sounds like a case where producers and managers really do have no vision, no idea what they want to make or why. Not a clue what anyone wants of them, including in Japan. Not just abroad.

I have to wonder how much of this is inherited from a Sony-like sense of conceit that Squaresoft may have had. Their games were viewed as the gold standard in Japan against which video games were measured. They put a bigger focus that perhaps anyone else, at the time, on production values and turning every game into an event.

The whole FFXIII world project smacked of conceit back when it was originally unveiled. They basically said "we're going to make the most amazing video game world in history, that people will never want to leave". And dedicated the entire company to making these games.

Six, seven years later, and one of those games still isn't finished, with no true indication it ever will be or what it has turned into.

The sad part is that for smaller scale projects Square still has some brave souls who seem capable of creating, or overseeing production of, stuff that their fans do want to see. Their best games for the last five years have all been on portables and mobile. I can't imagine what will save them, aside from a complete corporate enema. They need to flush Wada, flush all their producers and directors, restructure every last person in the company.

Edit: I should note, that the automatic exception to all this seems anyone who is connected to Dragon Quest projects - even DQ X. They are like the last people in Square, the Enix survival squad I guess, who appear to have a clue what they're supposed to be doing.

I suppose I keep falling into not even thinking of them as part of Square. The name may be gone, but Enix somehow remains.

Jeels

ànd then he turned to his fortune teller and asked "what shall the worker bees toil on next?". 2 years cropping and pasting concept art and renders for gree card games? Oh inspiring swami. a year making rocks to put in places no-one will ever set foot in FF14? Oh glorious guru. Help me mold the talent of tomorrow.

You really shouldn't be shitting on FFXIV. A Realm Reborn is one of the greatest things Square Enix has done this generation.

without the recommendation of a leader –producer- it is impossible to raise the rank in this company. It’s not the matter of how good you are at your job

Sound like every standard japanese company

Psi

What? Unless this means that the only way to get a promotion is for them to blow their boss, I don't get it.

Edit: nevermind, answered above.

I didn't see this being posted.

Well, I translated it, so if you are better at Japanese or have better English translation skill, please do fix it at your own will.

I think I got the gist of the news, though.

Original can be found here
---------

Square Enix Holdings announced 540 million yen deficit (same quarter last year was 370 million yen profit) from April to November 2013.

The sales increased 6.2%, but showed -520 million yen operating profit. Out of all the large gaming companies in Japan, SE was the only one with deficit in this quarter.

So what kind of operating situation are they in?

"The rating system has no standard. We are trying to match the goal and reporting higher ups the progress, but it feels like those things do not matter in this company." 30 year old female worker was angry about rating system inside the company.

Also another worker in his late 30s, pointed out following things. “Each project has their own separate groups, and without the recommendation of a leader –producer- it is impossible to raise the rank in this company. It’s not the matter of how good you are at your job, it’s the matter how well you know the higher ups.”

One of the reasons of this quarter’s deficit was delay in products release.

“Workers are not happy about their rank, their payroll, and worried about their future. Motivation is low. Producer’s intentions were not reflecting in the final product so they are repeating again and again. This leads to delay.”

They should visit Valve offices and take a tour sometimes. They're stuck in the old business model where it's all about the dollar. Make your company all about the employee, and dollars will follow.

CorvoSol

To be honest, terrible as this all is, if Square Enix was actually releasing and localizing the games I wanted, I wouldn't give a damn about any of this.

RedSwirl

Aside from generic problems infesting Japanese companies, this sounds like a case where producers and managers really do have no vision, no idea what they want to make or why. Not a clue what anyone wants of them, including in Japan. Not just abroad.

I have to wonder how much of this is inherited from a Sony-like sense of conceit that Squaresoft may have had. Their games were viewed as the gold standard in Japan against which video games were measured. They put a bigger focus that perhaps anyone else, at the time, on production values and turning every game into an event.

The whole FFXIII world project smacked of conceit back when it was originally unveiled. They basically said "we're going to make the most amazing video game world in history, that people will never want to leave". And dedicated the entire company to making these games.

Six, seven years later, and one of those games still isn't finished, with no true indication it ever will be or what it has turned into.

The sad part is that for smaller scale projects Square still has some brave souls who seem capable of creating, or overseeing production of, stuff that their fans do want to see. Their best games for the last five years have all been on portables and mobile. I can't imagine what will save them, aside from a complete corporate enema. They need to flush Wada, flush all their producers and directors, restructure every last person in the company.

Edit: I should note, that the automatic exception to all this seems anyone who is connected to Dragon Quest projects - even DQ X. They are like the last people in Square, the Enix survival squad I guess, who appear to have a clue what they're supposed to be doing.

I suppose I keep falling into not even thinking of them as part of Square. The name may be gone, but Enix somehow remains.

Them and whoever's been producing SE's portable games.

Generally though, they're big problem has been their stubbornness with plans they made six, seven years ago that have obviously failed. Even back when they announced Fabula Nova Crystalis I was wondering why they'd even do this when FFXIII itself hadn't proved its initial worth the way VII did.

Yottamole

Banned
...The company is called Square Enix.
Anyway to know what the old Square culture was like in comparison?
Not sure, but from what I hear Square Enix's culture is more similar to old Enix's than Square's. Fitting, I guess, since Enix did technically absorb Square.

Riposte

What are people basing their idea that the "Enix" (or portables) part isn't affected by larger management issues / employee conditions? Comes off as real damn silly to me. "They make games I like, so of course they are the exception to the dated Japanese approach!"

Margalis

Banned
yeah like Valve

Producer’s intentions were not reflecting in the final product so they are repeating again and again. This leads to delay.

Totally never happens at Valve!

Edit: For basically every large project you'll hear people say that the worker bees have to redo work, that there are communication issues, not everyone is on the same page about what the final product is supposed to look like, etc. That's just the nature of large projects, and it obviously effects Valve as well given the glacial rate of their internal development.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
To be honest, terrible as this all is, if Square Enix was actually releasing and localizing the games I wanted, I wouldn't give a damn about any of this.

This.

Type 0, and Bravely Default are all I care about. Versus I'll reserve judgment for.

Fuck Toriyama.

I'd like to see Square fix the IP's a certain someone dedicated himself to ruining. Furthermore I'd like to see the revival of old IP's like the Bouncer, new IP's and more sponsored titles like Valkyrie Profile, a true Drakengard sequel(or even to NieR) even if Cavia is now defunct, among others.

Final Fantasy isn't the only thing they can make. Clearly money and ambition has clouded them with a incoherent vision.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
They need to pull a George Lucas and sell this fucking company to Disney, already.

Dragun619

That's terrible to hear and that's what I always imagined the culture would be at SE but I don't think SE gonna change anytime soon. Hopefully they do, but the top is probably thinking, welp, if all else fails, lets rally everyone and do Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Kingdom Hearts 3.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
That's terrible to hear and that's what I always imagined the culture would be at SE but I don't think SE gonna change anytime soon. Hopefully they do, but the top is probably thinking, welp, if all else fails, lets rally everyone and do Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Kingdom Hearts 3.

FFV first pls

Taruranto

Based from what i read about SH, it's a problem not only limited to SE. (though SE is definitely the one suffering the most because of it)

CorvoSol

This.

Type 0, and Bravely Default are all I care about. Versus I'll reserve judgment for.

Fuck Toriyama.

I'd like to see Square fix the IP's a certain someone dedicated himself to ruining. Furthermore I'd like to see the revival of old IP's like the Bouncer, new IP's and more sponsored titles like Valkyrie Profile, a true Drakengard sequel(or even to NieR) even if Cavia is now defunct, among others.

Final Fantasy isn't the only thing they can make. Clearly money and ambition has clouded them with a incoherent vision.

I mean, I don't mean to sound like a cold-blooded, heartless jerk, but it's a video game company and if they were honestly meeting my needs, I would not care one bit about how the employees were doing. But because Square Enix is screwing me over again and again, then part of me does actively want to hear as much bad news about them as I can in some ways.

Which is sad, because their handhelds have been exceptional compared to console output this gen. The World Ends With You, Dragon Quest IX, Final Fantasy Type-0, Dissidia, Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep and Bravely Default: Flying Fairy have all been very good games.

Unfortunately, and frustratingly, Square has poured more advertising into XIII-2 than any of those games. Mind-bendingly, I've seen more advertisements for a PC rerelease of Final Fantasy VII than I ever saw for TWEWY, DQ9, BBS and DFF combined. And because they continue to employ Toriyama and I'm annoyed by this, I want to assume they've gone totally insane, and look for any sort of confirmation of that I can get, like the Fortune-Teller stuff, or the absolutely insane decision to wax poetic about Lightning instead of actually talking about the goddamn game, six years of closed megatheaters culminating in the greatest hype-backlash in the history of gaming, dwindling presence of Japan side IPs at gaming expos, taking a YEAR to even SAY ANYTHING about localization of Type-0, and so on.

Good God, it's hard not to think ill of the company I once most liked in gaming. And it's all, frankly, because they're not catering to my wants. And I don't consider myself a particularly hard to please guy. I liked XIII, I liked KH3D, and hell, shitty story aside, I thought XIII-2 was a lot of fun and a huge improvement over XIII. XIV isn't my cup of tea, but I'm lead to understand it's going well. But really, XIII and XIII-2 just aren't enough. Especially when I know they're making better games.

Fuck Toriyama. Could there be a worst writer in this industry?

dokish

Banned
This company's fucked.

Don't worry, Lightning Pinball game on Vita will save the company. Also, Kingdom Hearts spin-offs for 3DS.

Top Bottom