• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jamie Foxx in talks to play Electro in The Amazing Spider-man 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

icespide

Banned
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118061562

It looks like Sony's "The Amazing Spiderman 2" is coming together faster than expected as sources tell Variety the studio is in early talks with Jamie Foxx to play the villain in the movie.
Though the studio would not comment on the character sources have also told Variety that Foxx would play Electro in the pic.

Electro, is the namesake of Max Dillon, an enemy of Spider-Man who gains the ability to control electricity after being struck by lightning. Created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko, the character first appeared in "The Amazing Spider-Man #9" in February 1964.

In "The Amazing Spider-Man's" post-credit sequence, set inside Dr. Curt Connors' cell at an asylum, the Lizard is approached by a mysterious, shadowy figure (Michael Massee) who asks if Peter Parker knows the truth about his father. Lightning features prominently in the scene prompting auds to believe that Electro would be featured in the sequel.

Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone are on board to return with Shailene Woodley in talks to join the cast as well. Marc Webb is also set to return to direct.

Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach are producing the sequel, whose screenplay will be credited to frequent tentpole scribes Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, as well as Jeff Pinkner, based on a previous draft by James Vanderbilt. "The Amazing Spider-Man" grossed $751 million worldwide, and the sequel is skedded to swing into theaters in 3D on May 2, 2014.

As for Foxx, Sony has already begun building a relationship with the thesp. Besides distributing "Django Unchained," overseas, Foxx currently stars in "White House Down" opposite Channing Tatum, which Sony is viewing as one of its major tentpoles next summer.

Foxx pretty much confirming via twitter
@iamjamiefoxx said:
Dressed up as Electro for Halloween last night. Costume fits well.

Electro isn't black.

Edit: Is he?

Edit 2: I don't care what ethnicity he is actually, but he sure as hell ain't Jamie Foxx.

Aguirre

ibkTsV8a2NW5Da.gif

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
They should just get Jennifer Garner.

harSon

Banned
Not being 100% faithful is pretty much the only way you're going to get non-white actors in meaningful roles in adaptations of older source materials, unless you start tapping into non-iconic obscure characters that came down the road. I can't even think of a non-white person who had dialog in the original The Amazing Spiderman, so I can't say I'm against this.

I don't hate Jamie Foxx like most people seem too, and think he's a legitimately good actor, but I'm not sure I can imagine him in this role for some reason.

Draconian

Just about all the info on this film tells me it's time to bail out on this series immediately. It's a real shame too because it really could have been good.

Rorschach

He can be a decent actor. Not like you need one for Spidey flicks, so he's overqualified! I still haven't seen the last movie. Not really interested.

Meh. I don't think I'd like Jaime Foxx personally, but he is a fine actor.

I mostly just don't give a shit about Electro. Seriously?

Seriously? At least he isn't The Vibrator.

Enzom21

I hope this happens... it will bring out all of the racists who complain about a fictional character becoming black.

Why don't they ask DC for Black Lightning or Static then? All black heroes either have lightning powers or Cyborgs. Nice pigeonholing.

noah111

Still Alive
Hmm, it COULD work, but i'm not optimistic about it tbh. Electro is quite absurd anyway so they probably would be deviating quite a bit from the roots anyway, costume/character wise anyway.

[edit] ^holy shit, I remember that!

Imagine if he plays the same character as in Horrible Bosses, just with superpowers...

YES.

* Still haven't seen Amazing Spider-Man.

Motherfucker Jones was really funny, but I don't see how he could be a super villain. Unless he does evil by taking advantage of Spider-Man's misconceptions about him.

.GqueB.

Banned
Electro is one of those villains where no one knows enough about him to care how he's adapted so I'm more curious about where they are going with the character than the casting. Seems interesting.

Electro is one of those villains where no one knows enough about him to care how he's adapted so I'm more curious about where they are going with the character than the casting. Seems interesting.

The "son of red skull & ultimate nazi weapon" 90's cartoon take was quite fun

Kusagari

I can see this working if they change the character entirely. Which i would have no problem with.

Seriously though, get a better villain than Electro. I could see Foxx being a hilarious Mysterio.

I'll look at the movie as "Wanda plays Electro"

Every time I see Jamie foxx I see Wanda. I could never see him in a serious role seriously.

Neva gonna get it neva gonna get it. Neeva gonna get it Never gonna get. Never gonna get it,

A-roo- roo- roo ROO!!

I guess that four movies in, we've finally run out of A-list villains.

Only a matter of time before the Big Wheel movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom