• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 PC to have meaningful bespoke features

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Activision expects to release Call of Duty's second map pack as well as a free update in Destiny.

Activision along with its partners at Bungie also recently revealed the much anticipated Destiny 2, which is set for release on September 8. Destiny was the biggest new video game franchise launch of all time when it was released, and early leading indicators including pre-orders for Destiny 2 are very strong as well. The team is taking great care in designing the game to appeal to existing and new fans, including PC players for the first time. Activision is also localizing the game for more markets, which should enable us to reach new audiences. And at launch, we're offering an expansion pass for Destiny 2, containing two future expansions, along with a continuous calendar of other events. Encouragingly, the SKUs that contain the expansion pass have attracted the majority of pre-orders so far. We believe the combination of a great game, the new opportunity to reach PC players, and a robust content plan post-launch highlight the opportunity ahead. We look forward to sharing more about both Destiny 2 and Call of Duty: World War II in the months ahead.

Brian Nowak - Morgan Stanley & Co. LLC

Great. Thanks. A question on Destiny. Can you just talk a little bit about your expectations for Destiny in the new guidance given the dual platform, console and PC release? And then talk a little more about the digital and the MTX innovation you see coming with the title and what type of contribution you expect in that? Thanks.

Eric Hirshberg - Activision Blizzard, Inc.

Thanks, Brian. Well, the community's reception to the reveal was obviously awesome. And after four weeks, Destiny 2 pre-orders are tracking amongst the top in Activision Publishing's history. So the most important thing for this franchise beyond delivering a great game, which Destiny 2 is definitely going to do, as we talked about in the past, is getting the content pipeline right. Destiny's engagement has been the best in Activision's history. And we now have a lot of confidence that we're going to be able to keep up with demand with that steady stream of great content to sort of keep pace with our player's engagement post the release of Destiny 2.

So as you know from our past comments on previous calls on – with Destiny 2's content, we're coupling Bungie's great visionary leadership with multiple AAA developers that have a proven track record here at Activision to help us make sure that we have just one great piece of new content after another to keep the community engaged. And that's the most important answer to the second part of your question. We've shown that when we have great engagement, great business follows. So with respect to PC, which you asked about, we're committed to delivering meaningful features that are bespoke for the PC community and I'm really excited about what we have to show for them. But I'm going to leave the details of those for our gameplay premiere event which is happening on May 18. And we'll have some additional, obviously, exciting announcements on the game overall at that time as well.
Source: https://seekingalpha.com/article/40...-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

dc89

The thirst for Destiny 2 seems real. I'm looking forward to the gameplay reveal and I'll have a better judge on wether I'm in day one or not. I just hope the narrative is told in a better way this time.

Apt101

Good, good. I am still debating going PS4 or PC. I'll probably go PS4 Pro just to stick with the GAF communities and also so I can play on my big-ole 4K TV.

Tagyhag

While I'm expecting (hoping) 60fps, Im really curious if they'll touch FOV options. Bungie games traditionally have very low FOV, their PC ports included.

kuYuri

I wonder what they mean by features in this case? Hope the PC port gets some special attention. Activision published PC ports are typically very hit or miss, with way more misses. Perhaps it will be done in-house at Bungie rather than farmed out to another dev/port studio?

21:9 support? Yes please.

Here is to hoping that the PC version actually scales high on better hardware and utilizes the power in a way that translates visually.

ISee

Besides the usual options and support for 60+ fps I don't think we'll get any special features. Maybe an integrated voice chat option for pugs.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Thanks, Brian. Well, the community's reception to the reveal was obviously awesome. And after four weeks, Destiny 2 pre-orders are tracking amongst the top in Activision Publishing's history. So the most important thing for this franchise beyond delivering a great game, which Destiny 2 is definitely going to do, as we talked about in the past, is getting the content pipeline right.

This paragraph makes me want to punch something...

KillLaCam

Banned
I hope we have an FOV slider. I can play Bungie games at 30fps for some reason. But that FOV that Destiny 1 has is really hard to go back to

Springy

No idea why, but I'm reminded of DICE promoting the PC version of Battlefield Bad Company 2 and the hot exclusive features it had such as "mouse support."

forrest

formerly nacire
I'm so torn on whether I should get the PC version or the PS4 version :( Stupid exclusive content...

As much as I enjoyed playing with Destiny GAF on PS4 and as much as I hate timed exclusive content, I simply cannot ignore the pc version. Especially when you have to pay for PS+ in order to play.

Anyone know when we can preorder for pc that isn't the standard version?

Kyoufu

As much as I enjoyed playing with Destiny GAF on PS4 and as much as I hate timed exclusive content, I simply cannot ignore the pc version. Especially when you have to pay for PS+ in order to play.

Anyone know when we can preorder for pc that isn't the standard version?

Probably when the Destiny 2 launcher is up and running closer to the beta, assuming they're using their own client or Blizzard's.

SPCTRE

This thread reminds that I "have" to get Destiny 2 on three platforms instead of two with the first game. Woe is me!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hmm...

I'm not sure if it means anything, but cdkeys is selling digital versions (non-US) and it says the platform is Steam.

http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/destiny-2-pc-steam-cd-key

Not sure if that means much, but thought it was worth mentioning.

As CD Keys resells physical keys, it's not going to be privy to platform information at this early stage. It's just an assumption based on the fact that Acti's PC games have been Steamworks titles since Modern Warfare 2, with the exception of some 2010 releases and Skylanders.

Trace

Banned
Destiny 2 will be absolutely massive. Still debating on PS4 vs PC myself, gotta see that gameplay first before I put down a preorder.

I'm going to buy it for both PC and PS4, but I honestly see myself playing it on PS4 a lot more since that's where my friends are and that's what I'm used to playing Destiny on.

But who knows. If Destiny 2 ends up supporting 60 FPS or higher on PC it might be hard to go back to playing at 30 FPS on consoles.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Better be on Steam don't want to use some launcher to download updates for the game.

Hux1ey

Banned
I'm going to buy it for both PC and PS4, but I honestly see myself playing it on PS4 a lot more since that's where my friends are and that's what I'm used to playing Destiny on.

But who knows. If Destiny 2 ends up supporting 60 FPS or higher on PC it might be hard to go back to playing at 30 FPS on consoles.

It would be insane if it didn't.

Tecnniqe

Banned

Shooter at 30 FPS on PC is a death sentence

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
im cool with bnet too

I wouldn't discount that possibility if today were eight months ago, but Battle.net being rebranded as Blizzard is the clearest sign yet that Blizzard (the company) has no intention of opening it up to non-Blizzard games.

atpbx

I'll have to see what the options are.

My main issue with Destiny outside of the lack of content, idiot community manager, lack of respect for their players time, nerfing everything based on PvP, disgusting RNG and out right stupid design decisions, is their beyond shit servers.

Tie that with control pads, aim assist and 30fps- PvP for many was a laggy, unplayable mess.

So if there is something worthwhile over console players, I will probably get it on PC.

Mechazawa

I wonder what "meaningful features that are bespoke for the PC community" actually is through the monkeypaw lens of an Activision executive.

I bend over backwards to play with my console buddies but if they expect me to play Destiny at 30fps when I can play it at 100+ on PC they are out of their fucking minds, and no friends of mine.

forrest

formerly nacire
As CD Keys resells physical keys, it's not going to be privy to platform information at this early stage. It's just an assumption based on the fact that Acti's PC games have been Steamworks titles since Modern Warfare 2, with the exception of some 2010 releases and Skylanders.

Fair enough, thanks!

Destiny is definitely a game that could have it's own launcher a la Blizzard for sure, though I'd be just as happy with it on steam as well.

Swarna

The direct comparison is CoD, Battlefront, Battlefield, R6: Siege, and Overwatch, not random single-player oriented games.

The first 3 are dead or dying (BF series) on PC and all happen to lock content behind season pass/expansion models (in addition to being shit games in general but that's besides the point). This is the group Destiny 2 has more in common with (going by Destiny 1). The latter 2 have better update models more in-tune with how PC consumers play games.

Consider that on PC, R6 Siege has more than twice the players as freaking BF1 and the latter is bleeding players each day.

Additionally, Destiny 2 PC has a lot of other things going against it.

1) It's clearly going to be made with plans for Destiny 3 in mind. As in, it's not made to last. These kinds of games don't do well on PC.
2) PC players have already played hundreds of MMO's. The novelty of loot-grind based bullet sponge gameplay is going to be a lot less enticing. Destiny was basically a lot of console players' first MMO so it had that going for it but it's not going to be met with the same patience on PC.
3) PC players tend to not play FPS designed for consoles first in mind. Even if Destiny 2 radically changes up a lot in terms of doing stuff like removing aim-assist stats and making hip-fire more relevant the perception of the first game can still hurt it.

At best it'll sustain a niche of 10k concurrent players months out from release. That's my prediction.

FiraB

Banned
Full 21:9 support
Uncapped FPS
Uncapped FOV slider
Full Graphics Features including support for Vulcan, DX12 and OpenGL.
Dedicated Servers
64 tickrate for All Gamemodes
No nvidia exclusive graphics features
FPS monitor option built-in
Benchmarking tool

Sure I'm missing something...sadly I bet most of this list wont be included but I'd be stoke if they did have even half of it.

Mifec

Full 21:9 support
Uncapped FPS
Uncapped FOV slider
Full Graphics Features including support for Vulcan, DX12 and OpenGL.
Dedicated Servers
64 tickrate for All Gamemodes
No nvidia exclusive graphics features
FPS monitor option built-in
Benchmarking tool

Sure I'm missing something...sadly I bet most of this list wont be included but I'd be stoke if they did have even half of it.

But that's a downgrade, just turn them off if they bother you.

Top Bottom