• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

last stability update made my ps4...less stable?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
has anyone else had this? my ps4 refuses to read discs a lot of the time until i restart it...and it makes the three beep 'eek you did something wrong' sound. afterwards it's fine until the next time i boot it from rest mode, then it does it again.

Lyriell

Yes, this has happened to me since the last update too! Always have to power off fully and restart to get it to show a new disc.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I've noticed the OS has had some slight mini-freezes/stuttering as of last patch.

DarkOneX

Same issue here, many times it just doesn't act like the disk is in or it will show Corrupted Data for the icon. Powering off and back on fixes it, only started after last update.

Maximus.

I've noticed the OS has had some slight mini-freezes/stuttering as of last patch.

I installed a new HDD and after I installed the OS, I noticed random stuttering and mini freezes or pop ins or flickering. This wasn't the case with my OG HDD, so good to know it may just be an issue with the current firmware.

Im with you OP. I have to restart my console everytime i put a new disc in. Also, when i put it in sleep mode it does those beeps then when i turn it back on it acts like it was unplugged while on. Pretty annoying.

barit

Yeah have the same problem with shutting down the damn thing correct. Maybe i'm too fast with closing a game and switching to power off but come on it should handle this easily right? It's not always that I hear the three beeps but it happens more often lately. Sometimes even Suspend mode has problems and gives me the three beeps before it finally works.

Libram

Neo Member
Same issue here, thought my disc drive was going bad and contacted support to send it in. Now i'm wondering if i cancel my support ticket i'll get charged for them shipping me a box. I'll hop on chat tomorrow and ask. No point sending it in if its a software bug.

Same issue here, thought my disc drive was going bad and contacted support to send it in. Now i'm wondering if i cancel my support ticket i'll get charged for them shipping me a box. I'll hop on chat tomorrow and ask. No point sending it in if its a software bug.

I was actually about to contact them tomorrow about mine until seeing this thread. It gives me hope!

Anbec7

I'm having a problem when sometimes the ps4 turns on and stays in the "white" stand by mode.
So far this has happened 2 times and I just bought the console... any ideas?

Wynnebeck

Banned
Yes, this has happened to me since the last update too! Always have to power off fully and restart to get it to show a new disc.

I thought something was up! Glad to see I'm not the only one who is dealing with this. I have to completely restart the PS4 to use a new disc.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Is rebuilding the database the defacto response like how the internet tells you to always format your PC without actually identifying the fault?

It is just the easiest, and most harmless to start off with in case a file somewhere is corrupt or out of place.

Start there, then troubleshoot some more if it persists.

What do you have to offer this thread?

Bold One

Yes, I put in a new copy of FC4 last night and it told me it was a corrupted file and when I tried to restart the console it would hang on the blinking white light....

WTF?!

Lately when I completely power down my ps4 I get the three beeps thing and then it powers down. Don't know whats up with that

I think it's amazing how certain Sony updates fuck their drives. I heard some complaints with the PS3, and now PS4?

I hope an update won't fuck my Sony Bluray player :p.

TheFatMan

While I haven't had any problem with discs, my PS4 has been struggling to power down. I noticed it took forever the other day and when it finally did shut down I got the 3-beep warning.

How this shit gets past QC is beyond me.

DarkStream

Yeah, definitely acting strangely.
Played Batman last night, and now, after 20 hours the screen suddenly freezes for 5 secs every 5 minutes. Still playable but stange behaviour!

No stability gifs? WTH gaf?

Before update:

hDY0gyv.gif

After:

2376216-iyj0ejfddruqy.gif

Yaqoub

Yes been randomly getting corrupted disc errors most times I put in Destiny disc.

Sure is a corrupted game :p

A restart fixed it every time but it did get annoying.

Neen

Neo Member
I've been having these problems as well. I notice it tends to happen after a long time spent in rest mode.

I usually want to play The Witcher but it is unable to read the disc. I have to restart the entire system in order for the disc to be recognized.

I thought maybe the disc was scratched, but it was in prestine condition. Which is good, seeing that I have hired a guard to monitor the disc whilst I am asleep in my bed chambers.

My boyfriend doesn't approve of these arrangements.

Mendax

yeah, disc read problems and three beeps when shutting down.

happens quite often, and only began a few weeks ago.

it's kinda scary tbh

My PS4 has had the same disc reading issues as well (we're talking every single perfectly disc won't read until reboot). This has happened twice in the last two weeks. It just refuses to read anything.

It also has got hung up where I ejected a disc while it was off, which turned it on, and I hit the power button ~10 seconds later, which caused it to get stuck in limbo. It displayed nothing to my TV, the controller and system were on, and the power button did nothing, requiring me to pull the cable since nothing else was working.

It's not like my Xbone has been flawless either- randomly won't read discs and lots of weird app and game crashes (Twitch in particular).

Game systems, man.

krpiper

Me too! I didnt know if my PS4 was dying or what....I went to switch from MLB to The Witcher and I popped the disc in and it took forever for XMB to respond like I was using a really old web browser or something and then I went to TW3 icon and it said "can not start application" And then I was able to restart the PS4 and was able to play like normal.

While I haven't had any problem with discs, my PS4 has been struggling to power down. I noticed it took forever the other day and when it finally did shut down I got the 3-beep warning.

How this shit gets past QC is beyond me.

I have been getting this as well. Rebuilding the database didn't fix it but did give me the odd error of having to redownload a bunch of game updates. After plenty of searching here is what I found out and I haven't had the long shut down time-generic three beep error since.

The three beeps are likely telling you that something had to be force closed. To prevent this, simply wait a few minutes to shut down after closing programs. Just leave the system be for a bit and then power down. You'll notice it powers down much quicker and without error.

The Ps4 is set to force close/stop any programs or processes that haven't ended after so long once you start the shut down process. If it has to force stop something it will give you the generic three beep "oops" notification. This error also happens when PSN is experiencing issues as the system is trying to connect to PSN but can't and then the shut down process has to force it to stop.

That is just what I have been able to gather about the three beep error on shut down. Not sure of the validity behind the reasoning but I can say that during the week I've been letting the system 'rest' before shut down I haven't gotten the beeps.

Top Bottom