• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Reremption is now backwards compatible on Xbox One

Oynox

Just played the intro, so far I could bet the framerate is more stable. However, there are minor sound bugs here and there. I have got access to some DLC packs I did not bought e.g. Golden Guns but also not all I bought e.g. Undead Nightmare. There is one pack which I do not know which was never available to download.

Red Dead Redemption is, quantifiably and measurably on scales other than the passionate opinions of both its fans and critics, one of the greatest pieces of interactive media ever developed.

I say this as a fan of video games with valuable narratives with equally meaningful gameplay and as a longtime, lifelong fan of the western genre in general.

RDR is not flawless. But it is an incredible accomplishment. It is legitimizing force for whether AAA games can be considered a valuable medium for expression and storytelling. It is a textbook example of making your gameplay intrinsically meaningful to the thematic picture you are creating and it's an incomparable experience.

I have never played anything else like RDR. RDR is a canonized classic in the video game pantheon. RDR is a triumph of our entire medium. RDR is one of the best westerns ever told and one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had with a game.

Just play it. Maybe you won't like it. I'm sorry if you don't.

But maybe you'll see why people who love this game are as enamored as they are. Because RDR is a revelation. It is like BioShock, Portal, Mass Effect, Half Life, and all the other games that redefined what our medium has become.

It is a triumph. It is so high on a pedestal for a reason. It is a platinum standard for what games can be.

I hate Rockstar games, by the way. At least the ones I've played, I might like Bully or The Warriors if I tried them. I definitely don't enjoy GTA even a little bit. But I will never not treasure Red Dead Redemption. A game like that only comes a long once in a very, very long time.

This... This post is Damn near perfect.

Red Dead is an experience that I'll never forget. Amazing characters that are well voice acted.

Red Dead Redemption is life.

Dunkley

Ugh if watching Forza Horizon 2 Xbone gameplay wasn't enough to make me want to buy an Xbox One right now, here's Microsoft giving me another reason to get one.

Waiting for Tales of Vesperia to come to BC until I buy one is getting harder each day.

MAX PAYMENT

I've played through red dead before and enjoyed it, but I don't quite understand the massive praise the game gets.

I appreciate it for its world and authentic western feel while at also having fun, enjoyable gameplay.

But I can't help but also feel that it's GTA without a city or cars. The chaos and fun of racing cars around and spectacularly crashing them is gone in this. It feels like a stripped down GTA to just riding around on a horse and shooting people, which is far less dynamic than cars, police, pedestrians, explosions, etc.

Can anyone explain what it is exactly that makes this game so magic? I feel that maybe if I could appreciate it more if I knew what to look out for.

UPDATE: There are many credible reports on how to access and download the game early, however, doing so looks to be in violation of the Xbox Live Code of Conduct. Specifically in the section "Don’t pirate or use another's content without permission," the final bullet-point is don't "play a game before it has been authorized for play on the service." Since there is no official word on whether or not backward compatibility is coming to Red Dead Redemption, it's best to assume it hasn't yet been authorized. We've reached out to Microsoft for clarification.

UPDATE #2: The official Xbox Support Twitter account advises users abide "to what the Code of Conduct says," but are unable to speculate on enforcement actions, as support and enforcement are separate teams. Bottom line: just wait it out.

I wouldn't risk it.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/02/06/red-dead-redemption-xbox-one-backwards-compatibility-leaked

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I can't see them banning anyone for this. It'll be too widespread and is being done without malice and no revenue is being lost - some may even have been generated.

If you're worried about it, enjoy the more polished version that'll be made available officially later.

CRAIG667

RDR has stopped working, wont launch, says it needs an update but there was a problem... gutted.

Edit. You can still launch the game by going to settings>network>go offline. (if you have already downloaded it)

Edit2... You CAN'T save your game though.

Kssio_Aug

I've played through red dead before and enjoyed it, but I don't quite understand the massive praise the game gets.

I appreciate it for its world and authentic western feel while at also having fun, enjoyable gameplay.

But I can't help but also feel that it's GTA without a city or cars. The chaos and fun of racing cars around and spectacularly crashing them is gone in this. It feels like a stripped down GTA to just riding around on a horse and shooting people, which is far less dynamic than cars, police, pedestrians, explosions, etc.

Can anyone explain what it is exactly that makes this game so magic? I feel that maybe if I could appreciate it more if I knew what to look out for.

I had a greater time with RDR then GTA V. And see... I didn't bought the game in the first place cause I wasn't that much confident about it (I borrowed from a friend), while GTA V I bought at launch and was hyped.

Thing is that, in RDR you had a great character, awesome settings with some nice environment and great gameplay. Shooting against bandits is fun, hunting is awesome, and the exploration is extremely enjoyable. Also, if I remember correctly missions were very interesting overall.

I believe it is one of the best executed open worlds. And I hope Rockstar is working in RDR3 rather than a new GTA.

MAX PAYMENT

I had a greater time with RDR then GTA V. And see... I didn't bought the game in the first place cause I wasn't that much confident about it (I borrowed from a friend), while GTA V I bought at launch and was hyped.

Thing is that, in RDR you had a great character, awesome settings with some nice environment and great gameplay. Shooting against bandits is fun, hunting is awesome, and the exploration is extremely enjoyable. Also, if I remember correctly missions were very interesting overall.

I believe it is one of the best executed open worlds. And I hope Rockstar is working in RDR3 rather than a new GTA.

I've only played it once, but the time I did I rushed through the game. I didn't look into hunting or anything extracurricular.

I've only played it once, but the time I did I rushed through the game. I didn't look into hunting or anything extracurricular.
Well there is your problem. Also don't think of the game as GTA with horses. It's completely different, both in tone and function. John Marston is a fundamentally good person with good motivations. You shouldn't play the game with negative karma, I don't even know why they included the negative karma stuff, it is a big ludonarrative dissonance.

MAX PAYMENT

I'm not sure if red dead will be affected, but having a fast external hard drive shows huge benefits for games. I notice it a lot on some of my other BC gamrs.

MAX PAYMENT

Well there is your problem. Also don't think of the game as GTA with horses. It's completely different, both in tone and function. John Marston is a fundamentally good person with good motivations. You shouldn't play the game with negative karma, I don't even know why they included the negative karma stuff, it is a big ludonarrative dissonance.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I look forward to taking my time with it.

Venture

Maybe for John but it makes perfect sense for his son. I did all the bank robbing and outlaw stuff as Jack.

Top Bottom