• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Reremption is now backwards compatible on Xbox One

Daffy Duck

Saw IGN running an article saying you may be in breach of live t&c's playing this game as its not officially launched yet.....

Saw IGN running an article saying you may be in breach of live t&c's playing this game as its not officially launched yet.....

Which isn't the case most likely. IGN doesn't know how to read the T&Cs. That's talking about the people who pirate pre-released games like CoD and try to play them on XBL.

I'll probably just play it on my 360 as it's still hooked up. Xbox One BC has been pretty spotty for me. Especially with audio.

from Rockohoward on X1

"It appears the games are no longer available to download and if already installed on your console require an update which does not work. Its rumored they still work offline however, it looks like we will have to wait until the games become officially available.".

i'm not near my X1, so can't try.

shandy706

As a side note, this game loads lightening fast off an external USB 3.0 drive.

I forgot how good this game looks too. It could pass as a quick remaster.

Demain

I am currently playing through it on Xbone and apart from small graphical/audio issues it has been brilliant playing this as this is one of my favourite games of last gen.

Worrying seeing the reports of Microsoft blocking this with an update. Hopefully they properly release it soon.

MaulerX

from Rockohoward on X1

"It appears the games are no longer available to download and if already installed on your console require an update which does not work. Its rumored they still work offline however, it looks like we will have to wait until the games become officially available.".

i'm not near my X1, so can't try.

Yes they blocked it and apparently you get Hexic instead. However, if you already downloaded it you can definitely still play the game by setting your console to "offline". I tried it and it works.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I have a feeling this will go official together with an announcement of RDR2. :eek:
Hopefully. Then I wouldn't have to get this and suffer lest-gen clunkiness trying to pretend I don't notice to appreciate the quality elsewhere.

Ricker

This ''follow'' this guy to get access to those games might be a trick/loophole MS might patch now or something...? never heard of this until yesterday and RDR...

This ''follow'' this guy to get access to those games might be a trick/loophole MS might patch now or something...? never heard of this until yesterday and RDR...

Most likely. I really doubt MS is going to start banning people who downloaded a game that resided on the Xbox Store (although hidden).

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

It's been around for at least one and a half years, so I doubt it. The problem is not a loophole but people not respecting their NDA which requires them to change their settings so nobody can see what they are playing.

wow, they are blocking these games from being used then?

dick move.

They technically weren't released yet and only being tested. RDR would crash if you tried to equip the GOTY outfit. Blocking unfinished software isn't a "dick move", it's actually what anyone (Sony, Nintendo, etc) would do as it's a liability problem if it fries someone's system.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
wow, they are blocking these games from being used then?

dick move.

How is it a dick move? You weren't supposed to have the game yet and there are likely still bugs that they are sorting out with the emulation or else this would have been released already. They don't want people putting out bad impressions which makes the BC look bad if they think some of the issues reported in this thread will be fixed.

mauaus

They technically weren't released yet and only being tested. RDR would crash if you tried to equip the GOTY outfit. Blocking unfinished software isn't a "dick move", it's actually what anyone (Sony, Nintendo, etc) would do as it's a liability problem if it fries someone's system.
I agree, got a bit scared when i booted the game for the first time, my fans went into overdrive, super loud. I for one am gonna wait to play till its out

It's been around for at least one and a half years, so I doubt it. The problem is not a loophole but people not respecting their NDA which requires them to change their settings so nobody can see what they are playing.

While nobody is ever going to get banned for this, how has it been around for 1.5 years? BC in mid-2014? Seems off by about 10 months.

bill0527

i guess this confirms a remaster or port won't be coming to ps4.

Of any game not eligible for a remaster or a port .. this would be the one.

This game was in developmental hell and was put together during a time of a lot of turmoil at Rockstar. The horrible working conditions of the company was made public, and people who worked on the game said it was fortunate to have even gotten the game to a playable release state because the code is barely held together. That's why there was never a PC version of the game. It would have required an almost complete re-build from the ground up.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
rockstar wouldn't allow their game to be backwards compatible if they were planning on releasing a remaster version of this game, simple business model, don't shoot yourself in the foot

Unless the remastered version is a PS4 exclusive and R* have done this to compensate XB1 owners.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Please people, I know this is 'semantics', but it is RD3, RD3, RD3.

Red Dead Reverend

Donning the tattered cloth of G-d, turning his back on his faith to seek vengeance for the gruesome murders of his denomination, most importantly his wife and unborn child. Through his journey, he is conflicted with each task that fills him with some gratitude, an addictive high, is he really turning his back on his faith, or fulfilling a new prophecy?

Holiday 2016.

Machine Gun Preacher style, lol.

Of any game not eligible for a remaster or a port .. this would be the one.

This game was in developmental hell and was put together during a time of a lot of turmoil at Rockstar. The horrible working conditions of the company was made public, and people who worked on the game said it was fortunate to have even gotten the game to a playable release state because the code is barely held together. That's why there was never a PC version of the game. It would have required an almost complete re-build from the ground up.

Couldn't they just emulate the 360 version on ps4 like the xbone is doing.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Couldn't they just emulate the 360 version on ps4 like the xbone is doing.
Lol.

I just read the game was disabled via a patch, still playable offline. I wonder if this game will actually come out for BC now :/
Maybe they used it as a test bed but Rockstar hadn't given them the go-ahead.

Xbudz

Party is over for now guys.
That update blocked it.

You can still play the game offline though.
You can't play it offline.
I tried putting my console in offline mode and I got a message saying I needed to be online when I tried to play RDR.

Something else I realized about IGN's dumb clickbait about them banning people.

This is just the Games on Demand version of RDR, which people can still play on their Xbox 360. If they do a mass ban of everyone who played RDR this weekend they would accidentally ban people who are legitimately playing it on the 360.

That's why the idea of banning people for playing a BC game early is incredibly stupid and I doubt MS would be dumb enough to try it.

Party is over for now guys.
That update blocked it.

You can't play it offline.
I tried putting my console in offline mode and I got a message saying I needed to be online when I tried to play RDR.

Mine is still loading when I go offline? I've loaded it fine just now, seems okay?

Tek

Man....my face when reading the thread title was all like :DDDDDD then as I read the comments about it being digital and now being blocked

sigh :'(

shandy706

People are excited about being allowed to play a game they already own.

100% of the games I play I already own.

You have a time machine so I can play some games I don't own yet?

I already own Rise of the Tomb Raider and was playing it yesterday. That cool with you?

Top Bottom