• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonZ

Ok seriously wtf? Am I missing something or is this game really poorly designed? I'm doing the affinity mission called the repair job where I have to go on a fetch quest for 3 different items. The game doesn't specify the exact location of these items. Do they really expect you to search the entire maps listed for hours for those items? You can't even cancel the mission if you don't want to go through that. Is this really how the game is designed or am I missing something?

Huh? Are you sure it's The Repair Job? I guess you aren't talking about the power cables, but the 2nd part of the quest. In that case...

Use FrontierNav to gather five white cometites.
These are resources that you obtain automatically, based on a random chance, if you have probes in the right hexagon, like FN 115, 118 (Primordia), or FN 219 (Noctilum).

"Gather two energy tubes from puges in Primordia."
"Puges" are an enemy type. You can beat the enemy and hope for a drop (breaking parts increases drop rate) or just use the multiplayer tickets to buy them in your own blade base.

"Gather four cruise deflector AiRs in Oblivia."
Now these are random collectibles. The game doesn't give directions aside from the continent either. However, they're in Oblivia's initial areas.

That was nice, messing around in Noctolum I decide to face a level 30-something giant beetle and what does it drop but an even better scythe for my Skell (nearly twice as powerful) plus it has Theroid Slayer V on it (if only that were mech...).

Also my character now looks like a bad Sailor scout cosplay but it is worth it for all the treasure sensor (plus I can always fashion gear it away if I get fed up).

So can you actually win the mission against Telethia Plume or is running out the clock the best you can do?
The latter. If you have the right gear and am good at overdrive combos you can make an overdrive last the entire battle (all 8 minutes of it) and kill it over 100 times in the process.

If you kill it over a certain amount in total during the event you'll get more rewards too. Technically it is defeated once all several million of its life bars are depleted.

Apparently the global nemesis are not that strong offensively so can be thought of as playing grounds for crazy damage combos (which in postgame level tyrants either tyrant dies before you can really get going or you die due to being a glass cannon).

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Finally got my Skell license, but have a couple of questions if anyone wants to help... first, is there ever a way to get a flying Skell of any kind? (Dunno how to reach some areas of the game without this) and can you level up Skells in any way?

Also, that fucking new LA theme song has been stuck in my head all week now and it's driving me mental. All I can think about all day is just "I can't see you, I can't hear you... 1, 2, 3, 4...".

Fucking love this game.
You will get the flying module after chapter 9. You can choose between level 20, 30, and 50 Skell frames. The weapons and augments you use determines your Skell's damage output. You can also craft level 60 Skells after beating the main story.

Is there any reason to level up the non-main Blade members? Especially early on? Like I'm level 25 in chapter 3.

I'm talking about guys like the DLC characters like Yelv and as opposed to Doug and Irina.

aravuus

No, it's a spoiler because
the glasses are obtained in a quest where you have to go find them. They belong to Tatsu's father. He is worked up about it and it turns out they are a pair of goofy looking frames. It's a funny moment of the game that could be ruined by seeing this picture now.

Sorry, I think that's super far-fetched and something NOBODY would ever think when seeing the pic

Well, maybe they now will since you said it's a spoiler

Agree to disagree, I guess

By the way, you can take other quests that are not affinity or story mission when you already started an affinity mission.
So again, you're not stuck rookies.

I dont really have an issue with not being able to abandon story quests because thus fat they are not grindy. Either you are under prepared or not. But affinity shit involving drops is silly. I get that you actually can do a lot of other things and the game is so open you can accomplish dozens of hours worth of atuff before you go back to that quest. Real issue is you shouldnt be grinding drops on non abandonable content.
My only advice is to keep in mind that in the futur you take the habit to break the different part of ennemies even outside of quest :)

Yeah, like I pretty much have been doing that since this quest. You get way better drops and complete missions faster that way. Its just that the first 2 Affinity quests should really be explicit about it. Parts targeting is not intuitive so minimally just say it outright when its necessary in the beginning of rhe game.

No, it's a spoiler because
the glasses are obtained in a quest where you have to go find them. They belong to Tatsu's father. He is worked up about it and it turns out they are a pair of goofy looking frames. It's a funny moment of the game that could be ruined by seeing this picture now.

Are you serious? I really can't tell Spoiler culture has so gotten out of hand.

hoserx

Sorry, I think that's super far-fetched and something NOBODY would ever think when seeing the pic

Well, maybe they now will since you said it's a spoiler

Agree to disagree, I guess

I agree that maybe it's a stretch, but only because I really enjoyed that quest and moment in the game where he put them on.

Is there any reason to level up the non-main Blade members? Especially early on? Like I'm level 25 in chapter 3.

I'm talking about guys like the DLC characters like Yelv and as opposed to Doug and Irina.

Only if you want to use them. It's really easy to power level lower party members at later part of the game.

Yay, second Skell!

Went for simple color scheme since the Andusia is pretty much The O from Z Gundam.

4O5MW0Kl.jpg

aYskqCIl.jpg
Did you press Y to make it a matte finish? I find that it brings out color a lot better.

On a Gundam related note, since Elma wears a red uniform I thought it was fitting that she will get all of the Char Aznable themed Skells.

Chaos17

I dont really have an issue with not being able to abandon story quests because thus fat they are not grindy. Either you are under prepared or not. But affinity shit involving drops is silly. I get that you actually can do a lot of other things and the game is so open you can accomplish dozens of hours worth of atuff before you go back to that quest. Real issue is you shouldnt be grinding drops on non abandonable content.

Yeah, like I pretty much have been doing that since this quest. You get way better drops and complete missions faster that way. Its just that the first 2 Affinity quests should really be explicit about it. Parts targeting is not intuitive so minimally just say it outright when its necessary in the beginning of rhe game.

Maybe because I've the habit that everytie that I advance in the story, I do this :
- talk to every person in LA
- do normal quests+explore map (while lvling up different campanions)
- do affinity
- then finish with story mission

I'm not defending the flaws like the gathering Blade quests but for most npcs quests, I didn't had any problems while following that routine.

Other advice : don't touch Blade gathering quests unless you've the items on you, it won't worth your time to hunt specifly the items.
Bounty quests are different to judge since the lvl of the monster is not written you've to go check personally the monster that you can kill or not.
Luckly thoses quests are optionals but yes, I do dislike them.

Must collect that next item over that hill.....must get to that miranium deposit.......must level up......

Yeah exploring maps is a lot more compelling now that my team is stronger and I can fight some stuff 10 or so levels up from me. Clearing out Noctilum and the area is more interesting than I gave it credit. Expected the top end to be more of the same but it turned out to be some jumbo Makna Forest shit

Only if you want to use them. It's really easy to power level lower party members at later part of the game.

That's what I thought. May as well bring up my main party members higher since I'm going to attempt to go to Cauldros before Mission 4. Want to make sure it's possible before accepting an affinity quest.

I love this game.

Rodin

Guys i need your help. Running around NLA i found different people with yellow dialogues saying Elma is doing this at night, Elma is at the water center, Elma is on the
Ma-non ship,
etc

Does this have anything to do with the heart-to-heart conversations? Do i have to kick her out of the party and go to these places to find her? Because 43 hours in i've seen exactly zero of them and i'm wondering what the fuck is going on. The way they're handled is terrible anyway, i know they are in the game only because i read it on Gaf, othewise i would have never known -.-

Anyone? And if they're not related to that, where do i find the heart-to-heart conversations?

FYI someone condensed the weapon type resistances of all the enemies by verifying common attributes among each enemy type, and compiled them into a handy list. E.g. most humanoids have the same resistances, most mechanoids have the same resistances, etc. Can sometimes make it easier to reference this rather than the prima guide or google sheet (possible inclusion in the OT?). There are a few other pretty helpful guides on the subreddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xenoblade_...m/psa_indigen_and_xeno_resistance_compendium/

Chaos17

Anyone? And if they're not related to that, where do i find the heart-to-heart conversations?

If yellow icon npcs told you about specific location about one of your companion, yes those are heart to heart.They can trigger either if the companion is in your party or not or even you've a pet or not.

My advice : take a screenshot when you've a tip about a heart to heat so you won't forget because no one has compiled yet infos about heart to heart events Q_Q

Fandangox

Its heart to heart conversations, check on the NLA grid map for Blue checkmarks, some of those are the heart to hearts, they specify what time f the day you have to be there to see them, also yeah the target character cannot be in your party.

Makonero

Those are definitely heart to hearts. You have to have Elma out of the party and for at least some of them, there are other requirements (they're listed in the hex where the meeting is supposed to happen)

Did you press Y to make it a matte finish? I find that it brings out color a lot better.

On a Gundam related note, since Elma wears a red uniform I thought it was fitting that she will get all of the Char Aznable themed Skells.

Ooh didn't know you can get a matte finish. Nice one! I also gave her my original red Skell as well. :D

Rodin

If yellow icon npcs told you about specific location about one of your companion, yes those are heart to heart.They can trigger either if the companion is in your party or not or even you've a pet or not.

My advice : take a screenshot when you've a tip about a heart to heat so you won't forget because no one has compiled yet infos about heart to heart events Q_Q
Its heart to heart conversations, check on the NLA grid map for Blue checkmarks, some of those are the heart to hearts, they specify what time f the day you have to be there to see them, also yeah the target character cannot be in your party.
Those are definitely heart to hearts. You have to have Elma out of the party and for at least some of them, there are other requirements (they're listed in the hex where the meeting is supposed to happen)
Ok, thanks. I asked because i went to the water purification center with Elma in the party after seeing a yellow icon, but nothing happened :\

I'll try with her out of the party now. Another thing: are they missable? If i get another yellow message, can i still do the one i found before?

NeonZ

The big spread sheet linked to in the first post has information about all heart to hearts in the "allies" category, including location and special requirements (like specific pets).

Evilkazz

Banned
  • Find out Phog and Frye are brothers
  • Get Frye and try to add phog
  • He doesn't want to join for some reason
  • Drop frye
  • Phog lets me take him along
  • Go back to Frye
  • Suddenly doesn't want to go anymore

Sure sounds like I've got a affinity mission to do!

Makonero

Ok, thanks. I asked because i went to the water purification center with Elma in the party after seeing a yellow icon, but nothing happened :\

I'll try with her out of the party now. Another thing: are they missable? If i get another yellow message, can i still do the one i found before?

You also have to do them in order, so make sure you do the first one first (hint: in the industrial zone!)

I am 90 hours into the game and I've probably found less than 10 obvious equipment upgrades for my MC. I actually get a calculator out to determine weapon replacements because to my knowledge it can't give me a proper DPS and TP/s number which is all I care about. Been a while since i played an RPG with good inventory management, but still disappointing. Could be bad luck. I've augmented all my stuff like mad so i don't struggle too much, but just boring to never ever care about what anything drops outside of fetch items.

Ok, thanks. I asked because i went to the water purification center with Elma in the party after seeing a yellow icon, but nothing happened :

You also have to do them in order, so make sure you do the first one first (hint: in the industrial zone!)

Same thing happened to me.

I got the second heart to heart location before the first.

Heard about Lins.

Gwin was super funny become I swapped him for Doug and ran for 2 seconds and found him in a new location.

I honest didn't realize it was a heart-to-heart until afterward.

Thought is was a random side mission.

TDLink

Well do you want to do their affinity missions? Also they have different arts you can get, and different personalities and voices.

Oh and for HB, Alexa, and Boze you unlock 3 more skell frame types if you do their last affinity mission. Yelv gets you a new super weapon for the same.

I am 90 hours into the game and I've probably found less than 10 obvious equipment upgrades for my MC. I actually get a calculator out to determine weapon replacements because to my knowledge it can't give me a proper DPS and TP/s number which is all I care about. Been a while since i played an RPG with good inventory management, but still disappointing. Could be bad luck. I've augmented all my stuff like mad so i don't struggle too much, but just boring to never ever care about what anything drops outside of fetch items.

You can get new/better versions of weapons and armor you already have. Including skell gear. Also new stuff to develop in the AM terminal.

NeonZ

Is "Joker" the only female Avatar voice that yells attack Arts/Attack names while piloting a Skell? I've already tried Peppy and Independent and they don't seem to do it, just doing some generic battle cries... What about male ones?

Pejo

Gold Member
Does anyone else feel like they give you way too many shield and dual knives users for party members? I really want some snipers or NPCs that aren't necessarily tied to positional attacking, but they seem pretty rare.

Lexxism

I wonder what I'm missing for Murderess "My Dream" mission. I already have all of the prerequisites but the mission isn't showing up in the Administrative District (Hangar)

NeonZ

I wonder what I'm missing for Murderess "My Dream" mission. I already have all of the prerequisites but the mission isn't showing up in the Administrative District (Hangar)

You're probably just looking at the wrong place. The mission should be there as soon as you get Murderess, you just won't be actually able to play it without the prerequisites.

At what point does this game pick up? I LOVED the wii game, basically right away I enjoyed it. Now I'm not very far into this one, but good lord is it dragging. Should I expect this for the whole game or is there a point if I keep truckin through it where it changes?

Makonero

At what point does this game pick up? I LOVED the wii game, basically right away I enjoyed it. Now I'm not very far into this one, but good lord is it dragging. Should I expect this for the whole game or is there a point if I keep truckin through it where it changes?

At least get to chapter 4. The introduction does run long, but once you have free rein, you really have free rein!

wrowa

Well, hard to say when you don't specify why the game feels like a drag to you. It can feel overwhelming in the beginning, so if that's your issue then you can expect that it'll become better in a couple hours. If you miss a strong narrative or interesting quest design, then things don't really change much.

The key to have a lot of fun is to ignore the quests (accept them, but don't go out of your way to finish them immediately) and just go exploring the world.

rhandino

Banned
Which chapter are you? I do liked the game since the intro but I can say that the game really clicked with me after Chapter 3 (basically the tutorial).

Chaos17

Advice for rookies : after the chapter 4, you will get the nav ball, don't forget to use when you're searching the location of a monster for a quest.

Chapter 4 because lot of quests will open up from that point and the game will stop holding your hand.

The story ? Depend of your taste, can't say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom