• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Emissions Hypersonic Plane; Paris to Tokyo in 2.5 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess this is the result of France-Japan collaboration over a Concorde successor that was announced in 2005.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/20/uk-airshow-hypersonic-idUSLNE75J01G20110620

Fancy travelling from Paris to Tokyo in two and a half hours? Do you yearn for the Concorde days?

Aerospace group EADS (EAD.PA), owner of planemaker Airbus, thinks it has the answer -- a hypersonic jet that flies above the atmosphere, yet takes off from a regular runway.

"It is not a Concorde but it looks like a Concorde, showing that aerodynamics of the 1960s were very smart," Jean Botti, EADS' chief technical officer, said.

By flying above the atmosphere and using biofuel to get the plane off the ground initially, the group hopes to avoid the supersonic boom and pollution Concorde was notorious for.

"When you are above the atmosphere nobody hears anything," Botti said.

The plane, being developed in collaboration with Japan, is being primarily designed with the business market in mind and could carry 50-100 passengers.

The concept project, known as ZEHST (zero emission high speed transport), comes as companies such as Virgin Galactic push forward with plans to take paying customers up on commercial space flights. Indeed, ZEHST is being developed using research from EADS' space arm Astrium.

Unlike Virgin Galactic customers, EADS says ZEHST would have a maximum acceleration of 1.2G, meaning passengers will not need any training in order to fly.

"The acceleration on people is very low, so no specific equipment or training is needed," Botti said.

The plane will take off using a regular turbofan engine, before rocket boosters kick in to start a sharp ascent, sending the plane soaring above the atmosphere.

Ramjet engines, currently used in missiles, will then take the plane up to altitudes of 32km as the plane cruises at speeds beyond Mach 4, or four times the speed of sound. After a gliding descent, the turbofans will reignite to enable landing.

"ZEHST has no novelty, it is all things that have been created before," Botti said, adding the company could have an unmanned demonstrator by 2020.

EADS boss Louis Gallois warned it could be another 30-40 years before commercial flights are a reality.

"We're not talking about a product that we launch in the next few years. We have to see security, integration of different technologies, how man reacts to it."

Video here: http://blogs.wsj.com/source/2011/06...er-two-and-a-half-hours/?mod=google_news_blog

Kabouter

cap029.jpg

I was excited until I saw that they haven't even got a technology demonstrator up and running. Shit is not going to be cheap even if it does end up getting built.

flying above the atmosphere?
so technically, you'll be in space, right?
no pollution, and you can see earth from space. fuck yeah.

scar tissue said:
flying above the atmosphere?
so technically, you'll be in space, right?
no pollution, and you can see earth from space. fuck yeah.

The end of the atmosphere is not formally defined, but this is very unlikely to get as far low earth orbit. You will be able to see a lot, yes, assuming you have a window to look out of.

amar212

big_z said:
waste of time considering japan is scared of the french.

This could commercially succeed only if Louis Vuitton stores in Paris raise their cap for LV goods per Japanese passport.

Raist

Banned
Nice. That said, I think that just like the Concorde, this thing will be almost exclusively for businessmen etc, ie insanely expensive tickets.

I don't think we'll need Paris-Tokyo flight in 2.5 hours in 40 years.

I mean, business man are doing video conference all day all across the world.

Concord's commercial failure proved that there's little room to this kind of elite passengers...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Souldriver said:
<3 Thunderbirds. The '60-futuristic theme is so damn gorgeous.

What episode is this from?

isn't that the very first episode? Terrorists blow up the landing gear on its inaugral flight, and they have to land the plane on moving trucks.

thefro

UnluckyKate said:
I don't think we'll need Paris-Tokyo flight in 2.5 hours in 40 years.

I mean, business man are doing video conference all day all across the world.

Concord's commercial failure proved that there's little room to this kind of elite passengers...

Gooch would ride it all the time.

params7 said:
30-40 years? :( I thought I would be visiting other galaxies by then or at least the nearest star.

in 40 years??! Hell no. do you realize how far away "other galaxies" actually are?

edit: Andromeda should be the closest full size galaxy to us, and it's about 2 million light years out. That means if we somehow figured out how to revolutionize the laws of physics as we know them and travel at twice the speed of light, it would STILL take over a million years to get there.

gcubed said:
30-40 years? in 30-40 years this needs to become the norm for longer flights, not just specialty
Yeah, 40 years used to be the difference between a model T and a 57 Chevy.Nonmedicinal technological advancement really is slowing down. But at least, according to this, it's still moving at all.

G Rom

If it looks like the Concorde then sign me in. The Concorde is still the best looking plane ever made IMO :
03_concorde2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom