• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Airbus patents, hypersonic, rocket powered, goofy-ass ramjet; NY to London in 1 hour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Keeping the Concorde dream alive.

The proposed aeroplane would cut the journey time from Paris to Tokyo from 12 to under three hours. The idea, first published in 2011, is to use three different kinds of engine power to jump above the atmosphere while still using regular runways for takeoff. It has now won approval from the US Patent Office.

“Airbus Group and its divisions apply for hundreds of patents every year in order to protect intellectual property,” a spokesman said. “These patents are often based on R&D concepts and ideas in a very nascent stage of conceptualisation, and not every patent progresses to becoming a fully realised technology or product.”

By climbing almost vertically, the new “ultra-rapid air vehicle’s” designers hope to avoid the supersonic boom that hampered Concorde’s deployment beyond the North Atlantic, where it flew at twice the speed of sound for more than 20 years.

The hypersonic plane would take off using a regular jet engine, before rocket boosters kick in to start a sharp ascent, sending the plane soaring above the atmosphere.

Ramjet engines, currently used in missiles, would then take the plane up to altitudes of about 18 miles (30km) as the plane cruises at speeds up to mach 4.5 (a bout 3,400 mph), or 4.5 times the speed of sound. The turbojets would reignite to enable landing.

Announcing a similar proposal in 2011, Airbus Group, then known as EADS, said it would take 30-40 years to enter service, if at all. But the patent is designed to put down a marker for technology that could be useful in other developments.

Airbus says it is working on two hypersonic projects, one with Japanese partners and another with Russian and Australian involvement, with the aim of conquering speeds up to mach 6.

On the engines

The filings refer to an “ultra-rapid air vehicle” and “method of aerial locomotion” for the aircraft, which would cruise at an altitude of more than 100,000ft and carry up to 20 passengers or two or three tons of cargo for distances of about 5,500 miles.
According to the patent, power would come from three different types of engines:

• “at least one” conventional jet that could be retracted into the fuselage
• one or more ramjets, which use the forward speed of the aircraft to compress the air entering them before it is mixed with fuel and ignited
• a rocket motor powered by hydrogen and oxygen.

Flights in the new aircraft look set to be a wild ride, with the rocket motor used in combination with conventional jets to power a “near vertical ascendant flight” until its breaks the sound barrier when the engines are retracted in the fuselage and the ramjets take over.

The sketches supplied with the Airbus filing are rudimentary but give a basic idea of the design
The aircraft would then cruise on the edge of space, high above conventional aircraft, before slowing down and entering normal air traffic close to its destination.

CG recreation.

6rKypu6.gif

I can feel the sound of my ears popping as I reach land. But that could also be my vertebrae.

Edit: That fucking comma at the thread's title.

FZZ

Banned
That gif makes me laugh

Looks like something out of the 1950s and their idea of the 21st century

It carries 20 people? Do you really need to get to Japan tht fast?

I keep thinking what it would be like to break up 18 miles in the air going 4.5 times the speed of sound. I guess I wouldnt be concious for anything really unpleasant.

Dennis

Banned
I would absolutely love a much faster trans-atlantic flight but this looks like it would be super expensive.

CTLance

An airport-launched ICBM airplane with twenty "passengers". Awright. Not bad, EADS.

Three combined propulsion systems and a hilarious flight path. What could possibly go wrong.

Also, I think I built something like this in KSP.

Vitten

20 passengers doesn't seem economically feasible.. What would a ticket cost ? 50k ?
Also looks like an engineering nightmare getting all those complex diferent systems to work together flawlessly.

Oh well, it's good that they at least do the research. Perhaps something useful might come of it.

zbarron

20 people. 20 very rich people.

This, but that's not a problem.

Early adopters always pay more. While people seem to be wondering if this could be successful I could see the super rich paying a large sum to travel across the world very quickly. Time is money.

How much wear & tear would have this airplane? Using rocket boosters, going to the upper atmosphere and then returning back... I can't imagine that is going to be easy to the materials.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Concorde was too expensive and too dangerous (to some) so I can't see how this will go over well especially since it's vastly more complex than that.

Sure, it's impressive how big Airbus became in the last 15 years.

They are technolgy leaders in so many areas now in a business field that was once controlled by only American companies.

This guy's video is so charmingly goofy. Subscribed!

Also, I'm guessing they just got the patent to get it, and have no plans to build this in the foreseeable future. That's a lot of rocket fuel.

Nikodemos

Can't you just use some sort of compound engine that functions at different parametres depending on speed? Something like the SR-71s turbojets, which worked as ramjets at speeds over Mach 2.5.

And why would one need to go Mach 4.5? Drop down to 3.5 and eliminate the need for a rocket engine. Those are unreliable and fragile, not to mention rather dangerous. Sure, you'll reach Tokyo in 5 hours rather than 3, but it'll be much maintenance-friendly, and might actually approach economic feasibility.

tickets to cost 20,000 each

I bet more. 20 passengers is essentially all business class and first class type seating. A current transatlantic could run you 4K-5K for a ticket. That's with coach offsetting some of the flight costs too. This has three engine types and seems even more costly per flight and has not coach to reduce flight costs. It's essentially for the super super wealthy.

I do appreciate the engineering that goes into this. Land to atmosphere flights will hopefully, one day, hit mass market costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom