• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To Uranus and Beyond! NewHorizons probe will complete its 9 year trek to Pluto Dec 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grym

It hasn't emerged from hibernation yet, from the article it says Sunday morning, right?

I hope it wakes up, ESA said themselves, that the turning their probe, Rosetta, online after it's hibernation, was the most intense moment.

Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory says it wakes up 2 hours from now (3:00 EST), sends out a signal about an hour and a half later, which they should receive about 8.5 hours from now (9:30 EST)

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/news_center/news/20141113.php

According to that site they've woken it from hibernation on average twice a year to test systems, do trial runs, and collect data

Volimar

Humans never fail to amaze when they channel their energy in a positive direction. Now let's kill all those Plutonians!

Jedi2016

Good to know that it woke up. I always envision worst-case scenarios in which there was some sort of failure or damage in the intervening years and they never get any signal from it again, just a chunk of dead metal sailing off into the ether.

Can't wait to see what info it sends back. How much time will it have at/near Pluto?

Chichikov

it's an ice giant, which is whole class of planetary objects we have no direct visual information about. Or at least very little.

didn't know it would be already in January.
You meant to say a dwarf planet.
Uranus and Neptune are ice giants.

But yeah, there's a whole lot to learn there, I'm excited.

Good to know that it woke up. I always envision worst-case scenarios in which there was some sort of failure or damage in the intervening years and they never get any signal from it again, just a chunk of dead metal sailing off into the ether.

Can't wait to see what info it sends back. How much time will it have at/near Pluto?

On January 4th, Pluto will be a few pixels wide.

By May 5th, resolution will exceed Hubble's resolution.

f5VSSnN.gif

This will last for about 2 weeks.

Chichikov

vz13Qlv.jpg

This is the schedule, closest approach is July 2015.
For those expecting great pictures be patient, only 10 weeks before the closest approach (so sometime in May probably) you'll start getting better pictures than Hubble's, and since Hubble's best picture looks like that -

YViM6AK.jpg

Well, you know.

Edit: beaten.

Awesome stuff!

For those saying "its not a planet anymore!!", who gives a shit? Its still part of our solar system and something we still haven't seen in any detail, so this will be huge.

To the guy who posted the Venus pics from the Venera probes, I agree these are some of the best pictures available of any of the planets mainly because of how difficult they were to obtain. The Russians sent a lot of probes to Venus and very few made the surface. The ones that did were flattened within a minute due to atmospheric pressure, so the pictures taken had to be taken quickly.

noah111

Still Alive
This is awesome. Thought it's too bad we're still months away from getting a better look at Pluto for the first time ever. It's insane to imagine that we've never actually had a good look at it.

Amazing times.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I believe we're a few months away from that.

According to the timeline on Wikipedia, early May is when they expect to be close enough to get better pictures than Hubble. The actual flyby of Pluto should occur on July 14. And it will be a quick flyby. The closest approach of Pluto should occur at 11:47 UTC, with the flyby of the moons less than 15 minutes later.

Also, just so people can temper their expectations, this is the type of picture they are expecting to get.

New_Horizons_flyby_of_Pluto_-_Celestia.png

Grym

I believe we're a few months away from that.

Observations of Pluto begin Jan 15. I know it doesn't get to its closest for months yet, but was thinking we'd get something better than we currently have much sooner. Could be wrong though

Edit Ahh just read above. Still awhile to wait for better than hubble i see. Is that really the best photo they are expecting. It got better images of Io

edit2

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/mission/missionDesign.php

The best pictures of Pluto will depict surface features as small as 200 feet (about 60 meters) across

According to the timeline on Wikipedia, early May is when they expect to be close enough to get better pictures than Hubble. The actual flyby of Pluto should occur on July 14. And it will be a quick flyby. The closest approach of Pluto should occur at 11:47 UTC, with the flyby of the moons less than 15 minutes later.

Also, just so people can temper their expectations, this is the type of picture they are expecting to get.

That's a little disappointing tbh

sphinx

the piano man
about pluto and the kuiper belt.

what exactly was NASA's motiviation to study that part of our solar system?

just plain curiosity?

or were there signs of something special or particularly relevant to us, humans, based on observation from earth/hubble?

slit

Cool,

I always wanted to view photos of Pluto up close. Check one off the list for solar system curiosity.

sphinx

the piano man
That's a little disappointing tbh

if pluto is the one on the back and Charon the one closer in the pic, then yeah, I expected something like the comet pictures or the Venus captures, like somethine right there in front of us.

that's damn near, though. Pluto is nearing off-limits to anything we humans can realistically handle and observe first-hand, distancewise. (Voyager aside)

RetroStu

Banned
On January 4th, Pluto will be a few pixels wide.

By May 5th, resolution will exceed Hubble's resolution.

f5VSSnN.gif

This will last for about 2 weeks.

How come Hubble can take amazingly detailed pictures of stellar nurseries thousands of light years away but it can only take blurry images of something in our own solar system?.

raphier

Banned

umm...Confirm if I am wrong, but isn't it going to hover to atmosphere level? Were going to basically get pictures of it's surface topview.

How come Hubble can take amazingly detailed pictures of stellar nurseries thousands of light years away but it can only take blurry images of something in our own solar system?.

Because the object is too close to the lense and moving very fast compared to stellar objects afar. Remember that Hubble's lense was specifically build to intercept far away objects with a very high capture rate, which is bad for closer objects with movement.

RetroStu

Banned
Because the object is too close to the lense and moving very fast compared to stellar objects afar. Remember that Hubble's lense was specifically build to intercept far away objects with a very high capture rate, which is bad for closer objects with movement.

Yeah i figured it was something like that. Still Pluto is something like 10billion km away or something, you still would of thought they could get better pictures than that.

umm...Confirm if I am wrong, but isn't it going to hover to atmosphere level? Were going to basically get pictures of it's surface topview.

The current mission design will take New Horizons past Pluto in a day at a minimum distance of 6,000 miles.

In current mission designs, the spacecraft comes as close as about 6,000 miles (9,600 kilometers) from Pluto and about 17,000 miles (27,000 kilometers) from Charon. During the half-hour when the spacecraft is closest to Pluto or its largest moon, it will take close-up pictures in both visible and near-infrared wavelengths. The best pictures of Pluto will depict surface features as small as 200 feet (about 60 meters) across.

Grym posted a link above. New Horizons Mission Design. I don't know if that distance has changed since July when the page was updated though.

I really can't wait to see what images we get back and with Philae possibly waking up again in August there's a lot to look forward to! Oh and there's currently 3 probes around Mars at the moment i think, i hope they find some neat things too.

Good times in space at the moment :)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

No. Pluto is far too small to have enough gravity to put something into orbit of it in any reasonable amount of time, and New Horizons is going way too fast to slow down at Pluto.

Melon Husk

60 meter resolution is very good. This is a 100m/pixel topography map of Luna.

edit: You can picture Pluto as two-thirds the size next to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom