• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zack Snyder's Justice League | Official Trailer

jakinov

I'll still watch it but I agree it's dumb. Would make sense if it were released in IMAX world wide but 95% of the world is watching it at home so they won't see the amazing IMAX aspect ratio in action.
The reasoning is that he doesn't want to crop the picture, and makes sure less things like height is cut out. 16:9 standard was explicitly created/defined to show 4:3 content. The ratio is still in action on your TV. You just get black bars in a different places compared to your average movie. It's a matter of if you can ignore black bars on the side or not. Which I think most people can when it blends in with their black bezels and darkly lit room. I think that most people once they start to consume the content, start to zone it out. I think that just because it's uncommon to see black bars on the sides that people think something is wrong. There's probably some phycological reasoning for why people people might zone top and bottom ones out more maybe but I don't think anyone who's ever looked at say artwork or photographs on a computer/phone and thought wow these left and right black bars used for not be distracting are distracting and I can't enjoy the beauty of the picture.

ManaByte

Media and Industry folk are seeing it now. A friend of mine just saw it. I would avoid social media next week.

ManaByte

I just want to know if it's better or worse than the Whedon film.

Heard some things are better (no Russian family, better visuals/effects), but it's still basically the same movie just longer with more scenes. Some of those new scenes are really cool, others just amplify issues people had with MoS (I love MoS though) and BvS.

McCheese

Heard some things are better (no Russian family, better visuals/effects), but it's still basically the same movie just longer with more scenes. Some of those new scenes are really cool, others just amplify issues people had with MoS (I love MoS though) and BvS.

Ah okay, so what we all expected pretty much, at least the billboards and sky-writers were not in vain but I was secretly hoping it would be a very different film tonally.

ManaByte

Ah okay, so what we all expected pretty much, at least the billboards and sky-writers were not in vain but I was secretly hoping it would be a very different film tonally.

The problem is those people already are convinced it's a flawless masterpiece that's going to be such a huge hit HBO Max will immediately green light two $300 million sequels to finish the trilogy. They're so convinced of that the second a bad review comes out that critic is going to be in danger.

ManaByte

I was secretly hoping it would be a very different film tonally.

I think that's going to be a problem actually. I think a lot of people have really overhyped what it is in their heads. It's still fundamentally the same Justice League story, but with more scenes added that give a lot more backstory (Cyborg gets A LOT more) and you get more of those Nightmare scenes too. But it's still the same story of the JL vs Steppenwolf for the Mother Boxes, just twice as long as before.

The problem is those people already are convinced it's a flawless masterpiece that's going to be such a huge hit HBO Max will immediately green light two $300 million sequels to finish the trilogy. They're so convinced of that the second a bad review comes out that critic is going to be in danger.
Lol dude you are on a never ending crusade against these people. You sound like MSM screaming about Joker creating copycat murderers before that movie came out.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Lol dude you are on a never ending crusade against these people. You sound like MSM screaming about Joker creating copycat murderers before that movie came out.
If you got death threats for saying the theatrical JL was going to be 2 hours long you'd think differently of them.

ManaByte

Those who already convinced themselves it's a perfect masterpiece (Reddit, Twitter) will love it no matter what.
Critics who didn't like seeing Superman angst in MoS and BvS and didn't like the original will trash it.
Everyone else will sit through the four hours, shrug, and then watch The Suicide Squad in August.

McCheese

Those who already convinced themselves it's a perfect masterpiece (Reddit, Twitter) will love it no matter what.
Critics who didn't like seeing Superman angst in MoS and BvS and didn't like the original will trash it.
Everyone else will sit through the four hours, shrug, and then watch The Suicide Squad in August.

I'm honestly not seeing this on Reddit, most people seem to share my low expectations.

Last edited:
If you got death threats for saying the theatrical JL was going to be 2 hours long you'd think differently of them.
I'm not saying death threats are good. I'm just saying it isn't tied to the property. People send death threats for Steven Universe, My Little Pony, Reylo, She-Ra. People sending death threats to all the Star Wars actors when they started saying critical things about TLJ. The list is long.

It's almost like death threats are not something unique to whatever property is being pushed, just a common way people from every fandom abuse Twitter and social media.

I just object to characterizing fans of this one movie as especially toxic, given we have seen ample evidence that other fandoms are just as bad.

CAB_Life

Joker looks like he has impetigo, and I've no idea why Lex Luthor sounds like he/ they're on hormone therapy. But looks all right otherwise.

BigStef71

Neo Member
No offense dude but if certain characters die and there's different plot points in the film it's definitely not the same movie. Like we all know the general plot was Steppenwolf is the big bad and Mother boxes are involved but everything around that is going to be completely different. Also time travel is going to be involved that itself to me means it's not the same movie

ManaByte

No offense dude but if certain characters die and there's different plot points in the film it's definitely not the same movie. Like we all know the general plot was Steppenwolf is the big bad and Mother boxes are involved but everything around that is going to be completely different. Also time travel is going to be involved that itself to me means it's not the same movie

Batman dying and the time travel stuff was in Justice League 2 and 3. Not this one.

The biggest plot addition in this is Cyborg's backstory. He gets a LOT more footage.

Last edited:

BigStef71

Neo Member
The time travel stuff was in Justice League 2 and 3. Not this one.

The biggest plot addition in this is Cyborg's backstory. He gets a LOT more footage.
I'm pretty sure Zack mentioned there's a scene like this at that Snyder Con a few year ago:

SPOILERS
Like there's a scene at the end of the movie where the league fails against Steppenwolf and Barry travels back in time so they get a do over or something to beat him? Another plot point over the years I've heard is that Steppenwolf originally controls Superman but this one i dont think that's going to happen.
END OF SPOILERS

Anyways your friend saw it so that means that scene i mentioned above must not not be in the film. I don't know now if that was mentioned at Snyder Con but I kept reading that plot point online over the past few years. Honestly I'm just excited to see this movie come out. Like I said to you in a post before I know it's not realistic to get JL2 & 3 but if we got in comic book form that would be pretty cool.

ManaByte

I'm pretty sure Zack mentioned there's a scene like this at that Snyder Con a few year ago:

A lot of stuff talked about at Snydercon was stuff that was never filmed. Like Darkseid boomtubing into the Batcave to kill Lois. I'll ask about the Steppenwolf do-over though. But the stuff about them in the Nightmare future building the time machine and Batman dying is from the sequels.

Anyways your friend saw it so that means that scene i mentioned above must not not be in the film.

All he said was there is A LOT more Cyborg, the Nightmare stuff is awesome, but other than that it's pretty much the same movie with just more scenes. The opening scene is also obviously different, but it involves Superman again and from the way it was described I think some people who are not fans of how Snyder has handled Superman and Batman aren't going to like it.

Last edited:

McCheese

You must not be looking at either of the DC movie subreddits.

Ah no, I don't go that far down the subreddit rabbit hole.

Do DC movie fans even know how to place an expectation bar that high though? I mean seriously; they've known nothing but shite since the Burton batman in the 90's

ManaByte

SPOILERS
Like there's a scene at the end of the movie where the league fails against Steppenwolf and Barry travels back in time so they get a do over or something to beat him? Another plot point over the years I've heard is that Steppenwolf originally controls Superman but this one i dont think that's going to happen.
END OF SPOILERS

Anyways your friend saw it so that means that scene i mentioned above must not not be in the film. I don't know now if that was mentioned at Snyder Con but I kept reading that plot point online over the past few years. Honestly I'm just excited to see this movie come out. Like I said to you in a post before I know it's not realistic to get JL2 & 3 but if we got in comic book form that would be pretty cool.

Just checked and the Steppenwolf do-over and him mind controlling Superman aren't in it. Possible those were in earlier drafts of the script and never filmed.

Edit: BigStef71 BigStef71 friend misunderstood the question. The Superman mind control isn't in it, but "there is a scene when they fail to destroy the motherboxes and fail".

Last edited:

BigStef71

Neo Member
Just checked and the Steppenwolf do-over and him mind controlling Superman aren't in it. Possible those were in earlier drafts of the script and never filmed.
Oh okay well thanks for clarifying that. I should stop believing things read on reddit then lol 😂

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Did we watch the same Aquaman?
I thought Aquaman was awesome. It had some great action setpieces and it didnt take itself too seriously.

Oh and the movie looked absolutely gorgeous. James Wann killed it.

source.gif

ojxmneP.gif

BigStef71

Neo Member
No. It‘s not as bad as the chopped up theatrical cut of BvS.
Oh okay that's good then. I consider that a win lol. I was gonna say I hard it find to believe a movie that's 4 hours long has the same issue as the theatrical cut of bvs which was fixed by putting back the 30 minutes that were cut out. The main thing for the film i want is it to be better than Josstice League

Stitch

Gold Member

Sky Germany confirmed that they will stream Justice League on March 18, I guess this will also be the case for other places with Sky like the UK

ManaByte

This fanbase is wonderful.

QprsHrN.jpg

According to this totally not toxic fanbase, if you Fleet (not Tweet) a picture of this you have to die of COVID:
Batman%2Band%2Bthe%2BMartian%2BManhunter.jpg

Last edited:

Madflavor

I don't think it's going to be a good movie, but I'm still excited to see it. I think I'm just so curious to see how different it is from the theatrical cut. Though it's a low bar I hope it's at least better than the theatrical cut.

ManaByte

I don't think it's going to be a good movie, but I'm still excited to see it. I think I'm just so curious to see how different it is from the theatrical cut. Though it's a low bar I hope it's at least better than the theatrical cut.

Well the entire third act is better because the Russian family is gone.

New Twitch trailer:

The Superman shot is repurposed footage from 2013, he's in the MoS suit color-corrected.

Madflavor

Well the entire third act is better because the Russian family is gone.

New Twitch trailer:

The Superman shot is repurposed footage from 2013, he's in the MoS suit color-corrected.

I mean visually it looks far more interesting than the TC. But visuals were never the problem with Snyder films.

Btw last time I checked, the film was split up into four parts, and each part would release once a week. Do I have that right, or did that change? Is the whole film going to be available in mid-march?

ManaByte

I mean visually it looks far more interesting than the TC. But visuals were never the problem with Snyder films.

Btw last time I checked, the film was split up into four parts, and each part would release once a week. Do I have that right, or did that change? Is the whole film going to be available in mid-march?

They changed it. One four hour movie with six chapters, they seem to think it's The Irishman.

ManaByte

If anyone wants to know how it's different than the theatrical cut, spoilers below.

I think a lot of people are vastly over hyping it into something they want it to be vs what it really is. I've seen some insane theories about the ending on Reddit with massive Darkseid cliffhangers and time travel. That's not this movie.

Like how the UE of BvS improved that by fleshing out storylines, this is improved by stuff being removed (the Russian family) and better visuals. But overall it's still the same fundamental story as the 2017 movie, it ends the same way (with one addition), and is a much longer version of the same JL story with more stuff:

The opening scene is still Superman, but not the freaky CG version. It's different and is basically him in agony for about five minutes. Then things slow down for about 30-40 min and nothing really happens. A lot of the extra two hours is just talking, but there's some cool stuff.

Cyborg's back story is huge. Lots of that added.
More Nightmare future scenes, which are cool.
There's a new flashback where Darkseid fights Ares.
There's a little more Mera, including her in her armor from the original reveal photo.
The dumb "KAL-EL NOOOOOOO!" is still in it, meaning that WASN'T a Whedon addition like people believe.
The third act is much better without the Russian family and without the red filter.

The ending:
Basically the same as before where Clark Kent rips open his shirt, but then it cuts to Bruce dreaming of the Nightmare future again where he talked to Joker. That ends when he's woken up by Martian Manhunter. The end.

Madflavor

They changed it. One four hour movie with six chapters, they seem to think it's The Irishman.

Lol. Hey whatever I'm not going to complain. It sounds to me that you think it's better than bvs. Now I know that's a low fucking bar, but as someone who liked (not loved) Man of Steel, I really have no idea what my reaction to this movie is going to be like.

Top Bottom