• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki receives The Golden Joystick's Lifetime Achievement Award for 2019

Kazza

EJbiM14X0AAk3oY.jpg

A very timely award for a legendary games creator.

From humble beginnings developing the Champion Boxing arcade game in 1984...

giphy.gif

...Yu Suzuki would go on to create some groundbreaking titles:

172d0faae322e52fc14c2bf9d9d3695b.gif
spaceharrier03.gif

1*uaPZvWOis5g3sOcLaSRHbw.gif
UnsightlyCompetentAcornbarnacle-size_restricted.gif

virtuafighter-intro-animation2.gif
tumblr_n43bdded0q1qk0z6co1_400.gifv

What's your favourite Suzuki game? Mine has to be the original Outrun, as it gave a 7/8 year old kid a little taste of what it would be like to drive a Ferrari. There was something really special about walking into an arcade to play your usual favourite, only to be confronted with something like this:

Something which the (excellent) Switch/3DS ports can't capture is sitting in an actual, moving cabinet. Combined with the (then) amazing 3D-esque graphics, this was a real treat in the 80s, and is still fun to play on your handheld of choice even today.

Thanks for the memories, Yu.

Last edited:
Oh man, this is awesome.

Yu Suzuki, thanks for my childhood!!!

Favorite is Hang-On but I love me some Virtua Fighter 2, OutRun and of course, Shenmue. The best part is I love all those games for seperate reasons. Man is amazing.

Edit: Power Drift is good shit too!!

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

His impact is undeniable. Space Harrier and OutRun are timeless. Shenmue is a top 5 all time game personally, despite only playing it once.

Top Bottom