• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys X -Nordics- announced

Gambit2483

Every non Indie developer having to announce for the Switch:
angry the simpsons GIF
Fixed.

kubricks

Can we not have those oversize doors and buildings and empty town in Ys IX please? I find it very off putting.

It seems like they are going back to Ys 8 which would be great. Sekiro grapple hook looks nice too.

Go_Ly_Dow

I would say the graphics boost makes it less of a PSP game running at HD resolution and more like a PS2 game running in HD.

Sigh, a shame as would love something closer to Tales of Arise. I'm sure it will be fun regardless anyway.

belmarduk

I'll be going to Japan in December and am a fan of the Ys series. If I purchase this game there, do you think there would be an English option?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'll be going to Japan in December and am a fan of the Ys series. If I purchase this game there, do you think there would be an English option?
Almost 0% chance. It usually takes a couple of years for Falcom's games to make it outside of Japan, and that's mostly due to the fact that they don't even start localizing their games into other languages until they're complete and released in Japan.

Germuso

If japanese studios can't make an engine, why the hell they dont use unreal,Unity....

The last tales looked awesome after all these years using their own engine.

Last edited:

manzo

In-game looks like absolute dogshit, which is expected for an Ys game. The only thing has me worried is the soundtrack, which makes it an Ys game. Now that Unisuga is out of the picture, the drums, bass and cymbals are mixed so fucking badly that it makes my ears bleed. Not the composer's fault, but the sound engineer needs a firm slap in the face. On the portraits, all other character designs are ok'ish except Adol. Jeesus fucking christ, how can you fuck up Adol's design so bad? Thank goodness the in-game models are better.

I guess us 40-year olds who have been with Adol since 1989, there won't ever be a game for us old men.

Still day one. Like all other Ys games.

sigmaZ

If japanese studios can't make an engine, why the hell they dont use unreal,Unity....

The last tales looked awesome after all these years using their own engine.
Probably simply has to do with language barriers and workflows. There's a lot of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." mentality in Japan. Japan has for years had shotty tech design. Recently though, they've finally started to improve.

sigmaZ

I hope this has more action.
Ys IX so far as been quite boring, but I'm still in the castle and town area.
I enjoyed the movement and combat, but the story made me hard cringe to the point where I just started skipping it entirely. I was still able to enjoy the rest of the experience. (I didn't like the drab aesthetic though. Glad they seem to be going back to 8's aesthetic)

Paltheos

The only thing has me worried is the soundtrack, which makes it an Ys game. Now that Unisuga is out of the picture, the drums, bass and cymbals are mixed so fucking badly that it makes my ears bleed. Not the composer's fault, but the sound engineer needs a firm slap in the face.

Someone's speculated that Koguchi might have jumped ship too. Falcom's crummy crediting policy has them change music credits to whoever's working for the company at the time in the cases of ports, and the recent Switch port of Oath in Felghana credits Sonoda and Unisuga(?? I personally checked this too from a stream of the game), neither of which had anything to do with Felghana's music. No clue why Unisuga's listed - maybe he has moved to some other role in the company - but crucially no Koguchi =/. I certainly hope not but we'll see.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

The game just doesn't look good. Already IX was a downgrade from VIII I feel, and this seems even worse. I guess we shall see. Hopefully I am wrong.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Someone's speculated that Koguchi might have jumped ship too. Falcom's crummy crediting policy has them change music credits to whoever's working for the company at the time in the cases of ports, and the recent Switch port of Oath in Felghana credits Sonoda and Unisuga(?? I personally checked this too from a stream of the game), neither of which had anything to do with Felghana's music. No clue why Unisuga's listed - maybe he has moved to some other role in the company - but crucially no Koguchi =/. I certainly hope not but we'll see.
What the fuck

Reminds me of creator of Suikoden not being listed in the credits of Suikoden 3 because he left the company months before the release of that game.
Although he acknowledged he was ok with it, and that it was Konami's policy at the time.

Fbh

Looks decent.
The on foot gameplay seems fun and I like the combination attacks, and the ship stuff looks like a fun gimmick.
Also the art direction is a whole lot better than the ugly mess that was IX

What's with the aliasing in some of the still from the video though? The graphics look straight from the Ps2, it should at least have a high res aliasing free look on modern consoles.

Hamlock

Neo Member
Falcom uploaded their usual OST Mini preview video like they do with all their recent games, but this time it has new footage.

While the environment graphics haven't improved much since Ys VIII, at least the animations are a noticeable step up over previous games.

Pejo

Falcom uploaded their usual OST Mini preview video like they do with all their recent games, but this time it has new footage.

While the environment graphics haven't improved much since Ys VIII, at least the animations are a noticeable step up over previous games.

O302sBv.gif

Man I love me a Falcom soundtrack, so good.

sigmaZ

Looks great. A lot more like 8 than 9.
Like the music but the midi instrumentation and mixing could be better. Kind of embarrassing that they would release it as is.
I mean if you think I'm exaggerating, use your own ears and decide:

The only other thing that will make or break it for me is the dialog. I don't care what anyone says but nine has the most garbage dialog out of any Ys I've ever played. It's the pinnacle of soy anime trope.
Game got 10x better when I just skipped through all non-essential dialog. Screw this comfy game crap in gaming as of late.

But yeah, looking forward to this.

Hamlock

Neo Member
Like the music but the midi instrumentation and mixing could be better. Kind of embarrassing that they would release it as is.
I mean if you think I'm exaggerating, use your own ears and decide:
Ys VIII has four composers in total, and they're all back in Ys X except for the guy who composed Sunshine Coastline; he doesn't make music for Falcom anymore. They hired someone new a few years ago, and his music is just not as good—he composed "To Be Free" and "Yesterday's Journey, Tomorrow's Dream" in that OST Mini preview. The former is very clearly trying to be Ys X's Sunshine Coastline, but the composer's arrangement still has a ways to go.

sigmaZ

Ys VIII has four composers in total, and they're all back in Ys X except for the guy who composed Sunshine Coastline; he doesn't make music for Falcom anymore. They hired someone new a few years ago, and his music is just not as good—he composed "To Be Free" and "Yesterday's Journey, Tomorrow's Dream" in that OST Mini preview. The former is very clearly trying to be Ys X's Sunshine Coastline, but the composer's arrangement still has a ways to go.
Ah. That's a shame. :(

Hamlock

Neo Member
Maybe I missed the PR on this, but Adol seems to have voiced dialog outside battle. Wow.
He also has voiced dialogue outside of battle in Ys 8 and 9. As you can tell by the second video, Adol will still remain mostly silent.

It still looks like there’s a lack of impact when hitting enemies. That was my biggest issue with VIII outside of the totally obscene amount of filler. It felt like you were slicing air and thus combat never felt right to me. Plus I really don’t like the dodge/guard slow-down mechanic (whatever it’s called).

Go_Ly_Dow

Cool, I'll give this one a go whenever it comes over. Enjoyed Origins, Chronicles, Oath, 7 and 8.

Didn't like the look of 9.

StereoVsn

I would normally just import but I find the game not interesting enough to bother. Plus there a ton of other games coming out all the time.

Do Ys games get fan translations? I'm currently playing Kuro no Kiseki which won't be officially localised for another year at least.

Hamlock

Neo Member

Cool video from Digital Foundry on Ys X. John has been an Ys fan for a while, so I was hoping for a video like this. In the history lesson at the start of the video, he mentions version of Ys 1 and 6 that weren't developed by Falcom, but they're still a fairly important part of Ys history. He also mentions how movement in Ys 8 and 9 was clunky which I kinda disagree with. He also overhypes the visuals a little too much, I haven't seen a game series get slammed for its visuals as much as Ys before (outside of Pokemon), so it's a little surprising to see someone like John saying Ys X looks good.

Either way, it's a great video and I'm very glad it exists.

Hudo

Cool video from Digital Foundry on Ys X. John has been an Ys fan for a while, so I was hoping for a video like this. In the history lesson at the start of the video, he mentions version of Ys 1 and 6 that weren't developed by Falcom, but they're still a fairly important part of Ys history. He also mentions how movement in Ys 8 and 9 was clunky which I kinda disagree with. He also overhypes the visuals a little too much, I haven't seen a game series get slammed for its visuals as much as Ys before (outside of Pokemon), so it's a little surprising to see someone like John saying Ys X looks good.

Either way, it's a great video and I'm very glad it exists.

I am going for the harem ending.

Hell yeah, day 1!

Looks like they are going back to previous setups., Ys 9 was quite a departure. I really did not like it compared to y's 7 and 8 (which i thought were amazing, double dipped on those games for different systems) .

Day 1 for me and I’m not making the mistake of buying the Switch version again.
Which game, and what was wrong with switch version? I have 8 on switch and it plays fine. Have 9 on it too, and so does that, but not really a fan of that game.

Ys 7 have on psp and pc , fun game that one. If ys can work on psp it can work on switch

Chukhopops

Which game, and what was wrong with switch version? I have 8 on switch and it plays fine. Have 9 on it too, and so does that, but not really a fan of that game.

Ys 7 have on psp and pc , fun game that one. If ys can work on psp it can work on switch
8 on Switch is fine.

9 is absolutely not, it has terrible framerate when you do literally anything in the main city (which is most of the game). The final boss is even worse. I still had fun but I wish I’d bought the PC version.

Top Bottom