• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Series Starter Guide | Welcome to Kamurocho

No kidding. That was some crazy conference. They were showing amazing games left and right. And yes, Yakuza was truly the highlight. Screw that lame ass reaction that it got from the crowd.

I'm just hoping Yakuza 1 will pull in enough people just by the virtue of having a 1 in the title so that won't be a problem again.

one can dream

IrishNinja

OOJJ3yd.jpg

xclk07

Just found the original NA PS2 release of the first game this week, then laughed at today's announcement. Still going to play the PS2 as an intro to see if I enjoy the series.

Let's say I do love it and want to explore all the other games... I know how to get all the games except 2. I am going to guess we'll get an announcement of the remake of that if this all does well, but clearly that won't happen for a couple years.

The question is... besides being the GOAT as I've read in this thread, what stories are actually impacted by #2? I know there are "they story so far" recaps to bring everyone up to speed, just curious if the story/characters in #2 impact/appear in any other of the games.

SEPARATE question: major differences b/w the original game and the remake? I'm assuming the original will still be fun to play first now that we'll have options soon.

The question is... besides being the GOAT as I've read in this thread, what stories are actually impacted by #2? I know there are "they story so far" recaps to bring everyone up to speed, just curious if the story/characters in #2 impact/appear in any other of the games.

SEPARATE question: major differences b/w the original game and the remake? I'm assuming the original will still be fun to play first now that we'll have options soon.

As a HUGE Yakuza fan I'm quite sad to say that I've played every game in the series beside Y2. But at the same time, I can tell you that coming from Y1 to Y3 (after a few years gap in-between) I had zero problems understanding the story and characters. Y2 by all accounts seems to be an amazing entry, but you can skip it and still fully understand the future titles, and I'm telling you that from first hand experience.

And to answer your second question:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/12/03/yakuza-kiwami-an-extreme-remake-on-your-ps4/

Should i start with 0 when it's out or wait for Kiwami? Thanks!
First Y0, then Kiwami

Subscribed. I want to start yakuza after seeing a bit of gameplay of one streamer on twitch. Since I have 4, I'll start that first.

0 and then Kiwami is fine. Actually, since they added in a few new story threads connecting it to 0, it's better that way as far as I can tell.

Yeah, there are some side stories in Kiwami that continue on from a bunch of side stories in 0 (its all based around the Scalectrix racing mini game). Its a really cool little storyline as well.
Also, while 0 doesn't do the best to flesh out Nishiki's backstory, between that and the added scenes in Kiwami you get a better look into his character which is again a decent way to flesh out his friendship with Kiryu and standing in the Tojo Clan before the present day events in Yakuza 1.

They should find a way to get 2-5 on PS4. Make it as easy as possible to get into this series.

Its possible the rest of the series will get ported/remade for the PS4. Team Yakuza have expressed interest in the past in doing this, and I think as long as Kiwami did well enough in Japan I think 2 getting a Kiwami style remake is the most likely candidate for the next Yakuza release in Japan - its the odd one out in terms of game and graphics engine etc.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Hey, I'm replaying Y1 right now. Glad that a remake will make this more accessible to new and old fans alike.

Hey, I'm replaying Y1 right now. Glad that a remake will make this more accessible to new and old fans alike.

The thing that is the strangest with going back to Y1 is the dub. I'm in the minority in that I didn't think it was a bad dub per se, but it just doesn't work out well with the tone of the series. Still think the actors did a good job with what they had to work with. And Hamill does a pretty good Majima.

The thing that is the strangest with going back to Y1 is the dub. I'm in the minority in that I didn't think it was a bad dub per se, but it just doesn't work out well with the tone of the series. Still think the actors did a good job with what they had to work with. And Hamill does a pretty good Majima.
The worst part was the localization just went nuts with the overcussing

IrishNinja

oh man, so now that's bish & kev on board!
and i agree with bishopcruz about the dub not being bad, i think things like the loading time across areas throws me off a bit more, plus the controls definitely feel dated after later entries. so, so happy we 're getting Kiwami

now to figure out how to get my tag changed up for this thread haha

BBboy20

Its possible the rest of the series will get ported/remade for the PS4. Team Yakuza have expressed interest in the past in doing this, and I think as long as Kiwami did well enough in Japan I think 2 getting a Kiwami style remake is the most likely candidate for the next Yakuza release in Japan - its the odd one out in terms of game and graphics engine etc.
The question is can they get 2-5 on PS4 before 6's release? Been told that remaking 2-5 would be expected to continue Yakuza but announcing the first and last game simultaneously for the West gives the anticipation of a timetable to get people up-to-speed. Supposedly a lot of Yakuza, including 6, are stand-alone despite intersected plotthreads and characters but...hhmm.

Panda Rin

This releases in the next year have me so hyped. Haven't played since Yakuza 2, missed out completely on the PS3 entries, and after playing Sleepy Dogs, I need something similar in tone.

Necrovex

I hope we get a full remake of Yakuza 2, my hype for it would be uncontrollable. I'm gonna be so broke due to all these delightful titles!

I hope we get a full remake of Yakuza 2, my hype for it would be uncontrollable. I'm gonna be so broke due to all these delightful titles!

I own 3 (4?) of these games on PS3 and have never played them because I was waiting for a way to play 1 and 2, so I was definitely assuming that 2 would get the Kiwami treatment... Although if they're all coming to PS4 one day, I guess I could just wait for that.

Keen for 0!

wait, what'd i miss, why is that dude banned
He faked his in-depth (like really in-depth as in 2 very long posts) FFXV impressions and then was called out on it. Apparently he had been making up a lot of fake stuff and mixing them up with his real leaks in different threads in the past and Mods were aware of that as well. (and he was warned if I'm not mistaken)

The FFXV bit was just way too much and was the last nail in the coffin and got him permabanned.

So, we probably shouldn't believe most of the stuff that he has talked about in the past. I mean remember when he said we'll get Ishin? Yeah, that one was more than likely one of his fakes.

IrishNinja

He faked his in-depth (like really in-depth as in 2 very long posts) FFXV impressions and then was called out on it. Apparently he had been making up a lot of fake stuff and mixing them up with his real leaks in different threads in the past and Mods were aware of that as well. (and he was warned if I'm not mistaken)

The FFXV bit was just way too much and was the last nail in the coffin and got him permabanned.

So, we probably shouldn't believe most of the stuff that he has talked about in the past. I mean remember when he said we'll get Ishin? Yeah, that one was more than likely one of his fakes.

oh man, literally nothing here surprises me. if ya'll remember famousmortimer (he was a good dude) he warned everyone dude was full of shit way back when, and i'd seen it since too. Ishin is a great example, if i recall correctly he spoke as if that & i wanna say PSO 2.0 were in the bank, and some on here took it as gospel. glad it's all out there now.

...still haven't fully processed how happy i am about getting 6 at a timeframe that's not super-late, and getting Kiwami at all...much less physical releases!

oh man, literally nothing here surprises me. if ya'll remember famousmortimer (he was a good dude) he warned everyone dude was full of shit way back when, and i'd seen it since too. Ishin is a great example, if i recall correctly he spoke as if that & i wanna say PSO 2.0 were in the bank, and some on here took it as gospel. glad it's all out there now.

...still haven't fully processed how happy i am about getting 6 at a timeframe that's not super-late, and getting Kiwami at all...much less physical releases!

Yeah. There is no denying the guy knew some of his stuff but a lot of what he talked about were just too much. Virtual Fighter 6, new Parasite Eve, new Shadow Hearts, etc.

I'm actually the same with Kiwami. I still can't believe we are getting that game. Man, the whole (Yakuza 1 spoilers)
Kiryu vs Nishiki
stuff should be epic. I can't wait for that.

I'm actually the same with Kiwami. I still can't believe we are getting that game. Man, the whole (Yakuza 1 spoilers)
Kiryu vs Nishiki
stuff should be epic. I can't wait for that.

Its certainly an awesome way to end the game (especially if you've completely powered up your Dojima style for maximum epicness). The music to that fight rocks so much as well, completely makes up for the previous battle against
Jingu and his super annoying bodyguards. Even the game hated that boss fight as they cut it from the boss rush challenges in the challenge mode!

Its certainly an awesome way to end the game (especially if you've completely powered up your Dojima style for maximum epicness). The music to that fight rocks so much as well, completely makes up for the previous battle against
Jingu and his super annoying bodyguards. Even the game hated that boss fight as they cut it from the boss rush challenges in the challenge mode!

Yeah that last fight is the thing that I'm looking forward to the most with Yakuza Kiwami. I actually prefer the way you have an obvious rival in Yakuza 1 who is actually a threat and an important character in the plot. I think having a definitive face as your rival is something that future Yakuza games missed on, mostly in favor of having crazy twists.

That's something that I really miss in new Yakuza games. A true rival for Kiryu.

Yeah that last fight is the thing that I'm looking forward to the most with Yakuza Kiwami. I actually prefer the way you have an obvious rival in Yakuza 1 who is actually a threat and an important character in the plot. I think having a definitive face as your rival is something that future Yakuza games missed on, mostly in favor of having crazy twists.

That's something that I really miss in new Yakuza games. A true rival for Kiryu.

5 is the one I have the most problems with in that regard. 3 had
Mine
and 4 had
Daigo
and were high points of their respective games for me. Not a patch on 1 and 2 which had truly epic rivalries but the boss fights were excellent for sure.
5 though blows its load on a last minute reveal twist that just missed the mark for me in terms of impact. The character revealed as the final boss did not feel like final boss material in terms of impact - he seemed like another pretender to the crown much like Shindo in Yakuza 2 - someone with ambitions beyond their station and get knocked down a peg or two by Kiryu.
In 5 I actually far preferred Watase as Kiryu's rival. I felt he had a twisted sense of honour not entirely unlike Goda did in 2, and your eventual fight against him was all the sweeter because of that, I really liked him in 5, wouldn't complain if he's the head of the Omi Alliance now.

GeNoMe

Subbed!! Thanks you so much for this thread. As someone who is genuinely interested into playing this series, I was looking for detailed info like this. Awesome work!

I am a Sega fanboy as rabid as they come, and yet I have been ignoring Yakuza for so long. Don't ask me why, I have no freaking idea.

I played the japanese Yakuza 6 demo a couple days ago and it blew me away completely. It's like the Streets of Rage successor I've been wishing for since SoR3 that I had no idea has actually been going on for so many years.

Consider my purchases of Zero and 6 locked.

I am a Sega fanboy as rabid as they come, and yet I have been ignoring Yakuza for so long. Don't ask me why, I have no freaking idea.

I played the japanese Yakuza 6 demo a couple days ago and it blew me away completely. It's like the Streets of Rage successor I've been wishing for since SoR3 that I had no idea has actually been going on for so many years.

Consider my purchases of Zero and 6 locked.

I don't think you'll be disappointed :) Heck, the first chapter of Yakuza 0 has a really decent brawl through an office building that feels sorta like Streets of Rage 3D - right down to the stage boss waiting for you at the end of the level ;) I've always felt the game feels like the natural evolution of the 2D side scrolling brawler - tons of enemies on screen, plenty of weapons and stuff to pick up and smack your opponent with and general arcadey gameplay. Only difference being its got a much involved story and city to explore.

I believe I've read that Kiwami has a number of extra scenes fleshing out Nishiki's character, which I'm really looking forward to because I thought he was pretty underused in the original game. He just wasn't in it enough to really feel like a proper rival; the game tells you he and Kiryu have all this history, but you don't really see much of it. I felt like they did a much better job with Ryuji in the second game. Even if the two characters didn't have much personal history, Ryuji was just such a strong, charismatic presence all the way through the game that I couldn't wait to see more of him.

I'm not really a big fan of the first game, but I feel like a lot of it has to do with the technical shortcomings of the PS2 game and the awful localisation, which is why I'm so excited to try it again with Kiwami.

rawbhawb

It's amazing they're physically releasing Y0 AND the Y1 remake so close to each other. Literally no better time to jump in.

Jimrpg

I have been defending the Y1 dub ever since it came out.Consider the time period and the games that came out then, games with good VA - FFX, Silent Hill2. Games with bad VA - Dynasty Warriors. Yakuza 1 was definitely in the former bracket.

I have been defending the Y1 dub ever since it came out.Consider the time period and the games that came out then, games with good VA - FFX, Silent Hill2. Games with bad VA - Dynasty Warriors. Yakuza 1 was definitely in the former bracket.

I thought Michael Madsen and American Kiryu were alright, but everyone else ranged from mediocre to awful. Even Mark Hamill wasn't great, in a role he could have nailed if he just did his Joker routine. But I think the script is much worse than the voice acting. It is so painfully edgy; characters swear to a ridiculous degree and it never feels natural speech. It doesn't match the tone of the rest of the series at all.

I'd really prefer that they translate Kiwami from scratch rather than using anything from the original PS2 translation, but I know that's probably too much to hope for.

I thought Michael Madsen and American Kiryu were alright, but everyone else ranged from mediocre to awful. Even Mark Hamill wasn't great, in a role he could have nailed if he just did his Joker routine. But I think the script is much worse than the voice acting. It is so painfully edgy; characters swear to a ridiculous degree and it never feels natural speech. It doesn't match the tone of the rest of the series at all.

I'd really prefer that they translate Kiwami from scratch rather than using anything from the original PS2 translation, but I know that's probably too much to hope for.

Yeah, I feel that if Hamill would have Joker'd up his performance a bit more it would have been perfect. He's perfect for the role. I thought Haruka was voiced well as well. Its not really the VA's that let the game down for me, rather the script. So yeah, I agree 1000% that the game needs to be retranslated from scratch. The translations have been excellent from 4 and up, so I'm sure care will be taken to translate the game well.

I'm one of those freaks who actually thought that SH2 had a bad dub, but I take your point. Even FFX had a dub that was good for the time, but kind of meh 15 years later. Still, we still had a fair number of games with bad dubs even then, and y1 was not one of those. If anything, the direction could have been better.

Eh, it doesn't really need a full new translation. I think they can fix some of the worst name changes (though Kazuma nad Kazama is going to confuse people), and cut down the swearing and they'll be fine. It's probably why it's coming out so soon.

Though, I wasn't bothered much by the swearing. Japanese and English are different, and in dubs especially it can be hard to get certain styles of speech across. The Yakuza all speak in a certain way, so they decided to go with the closest analogue, which would be gangsters. In many movies, novels, etc. gangsters swear a blue streak. It's shorthand and Yakuza is not the first dub to go down that route. It's not the most elegant solution, but I understand it. It's not perfect, but I don't envy the person who had to come up with that dub script.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
As a HUGE Yakuza fan I'm quite sad to say that I've played every game in the series beside Y2. But at the same time, I can tell you that coming from Y1 to Y3 (after a few years gap in-between) I had zero problems understanding the story and characters. Y2 by all accounts seems to be an amazing entry, but you can skip it and still fully understand the future titles, and I'm telling you that from first hand experience.
If I lend you my copy, do you pinky swear to send it back when you're done?

Menitta

Yakuza 2 makes me upset. As niche as this series is, everyone says 2 is the best. The problem is that it costs an arm and a leg to get. In addition emulation is out of the question because my computer wants no part of that. I tried emulating CVS2 and it was literally unplayable. I have no actual way to play it until Kiwami 2 or it's uploaded to PS2 Classics, and I bet Kiwami 2 is gonna happen first.

Top Bottom