• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Series Starter Guide | Welcome to Kamurocho

Nice,
I want to play part 6-
is that the one where you beat up a japanese store?
When does that one come out- Also- I don't care about the story.

Nice,
I want to play part 6-
is that the one where you beat up a japanese store?
When does that one come out- Also- I don't care about the story.

2018 if you want to play it in English, or if you want to import it, it was just released today in Japan.

I'd guess whatever the next Yakuza game is will be announced at TGS like it has in the past. Hoping for Kiwami 2. One thing I don't want is Ishin 2 because there's no way that'll get localised.

Edit: though if there is another Kenzan/Ishin style game it'll have a new name.

Usually we get new game announcements slightly ahead of the TGS, like a small teaser trailer and little bits of info before a bigger blowout at TGS. So I'm hoping for an August reveal and then more info at TGS if we are getting another Yakuza game next year (in Japan). I'm still thinking it'll be Kiwami 2 since it makes the most sense to update it in line with the rest of the series. My dream would be remakes of 2-5 on the PS4 next year, and 7 the year after - with 2 getting the Kiwami treatment and the other three games just getting frame rate, texture and resolution boosts.

non of the old characters should be in the next main game, non of it's worlds and non of it's Stories.
we need a fresh project by all means! fresh cast. fresh world. fresh story. and this time they better conceptualize the whole story from the very beginning. they should know when to start and when to finish, if they really want to create an amazing & convincing story.
I don't necessarily think that the next game should be a complete reboot. I can see them trying to do that in order to bring in a new generation of fans, but honestly they can probably do the same if they decide to use
Akiyama
as the next main character for the series.

He has had some developments through-out the games and we already know him to a degree but there is still so much more that they can do with him that could be new to both old and newer fans. At any rate, I'll support the series as long as they keep on making amazing games and bring them over here. So I'm not really that worried about what comes after Y6, as long as something does.
Has there been any concrete info about it coming sooner rather than later?
No, nothing concrete. Just wishful thinking on our part.
=======
I think this deserves more love:
I'm not sure when I transitioned to casually saying "kyodai" instead of "fam" in conversations but here we are, and Yakuza is definitely to blame. :D

And ICYMI, I confirmed that Y0 is going to have the PS4 Share restrictions lifted for everything but the final scene in the game.
That's an amazing news! January 24th can't come soon enough.

IrishNinja

so, so jelly @ people on my list playing 6 already! those themes look cool, too...i don't know some of the dudes yet but having Beat on your screen is awesome.

IrishNinja

Fingers crossed that we get something similar with the western release.

yeah, i was pleased with the card case thing we're getting for 0 (i believe John said the digital themes might be getting an upgrade too?), curious to see if Kiwami gets any bonuses! honestly, i'd be down with a nice steelbook, was always jelly of the one 4 got.

yeah, i was pleased with the card case thing we're getting for 0 (i believe John said the digital themes might be getting an upgrade too?), curious to see if Kiwami gets any bonuses! honestly, i'd be down with a nice steelbook, was always jelly of the one 4 got.
Woah, that'll be cool. Honestly though, since these game don't have any (noticeable) DLCs that I'm aware of, I don't know what they can actually offer as bonuses for pre-ordering digitally.

Do people who typically prefer to experience games/movies in order of release instead of chronologically with prequels still recommend 0 as an entry point?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So I guess I'm gonna jump in with 0, see how I like it, and then I guess I'll have to dig out my PS3 to continue at 4. The PS2 titles are simply out reach, I feel.

Do people who typically prefer to experience games/movies in order of release instead of chronologically with prequels still recommend 0 as an entry point?
I recently (around 6 months ago recently) caught up with X-Men series and watched them in the order of release (planning to do the same with Star Wars) but yeah I still recommend Y0 as the entry point.

So I guess I'm gonna jump in with 0, see how I like it, and then I guess I'll have to dig out my PS3 to continue at 4. The PS2 titles are just out reach, I feel.

Good news is that Kiwami (Yakuza 1 Remake) has been announced for western release on PS4, so (like me) the only title that you'll miss out on will be Yakuza 2.

To those in the US who still haven't pre-ordered Yakuza 0, Gamestop's offering a poster on top of the Business Edition for pre-orders. Let it be known however that it's still $10 more than ordering from Amazon at the moment.

As one of those types of people I'm generally not able to recommend any other entry point but the original. It goes against my own desires for gaining appreciation for how things evolved and gaining a sense of perspective.

That being said, I can also say that this isn't always set in stone for me personally. I'm most uptight about prequels more than anything else, but I think Yakuza 0 is a mixture of a few sticky situations: the notion of really wanting to see the series succeed, as well as the fact that the original game may seem or actually be a bit inaccessible to a lot of people. On top of that, Yakuza 0 is excellent both as a stand-alone title and a culmination/representation of the series.

Even though deep down I'd be against the idea on a personal level, I think generally recommending 0 as an entry point is honestly the most pragmatic, "2017" choice I could make.

As one of those types of people I'm generally not able to recommend any other entry point but the original. It goes against my own desires for gaining appreciation for how things evolved and gaining a sense of perspective.

That being said, I can also say that this isn't always set in stone for me personally. I'm most uptight about prequels more than anything else, but I think Yakuza 0 is a mixture of a few sticky situations: the notion of really wanting to see the series succeed, as well as the fact that the original game may seem or actually be a bit inaccessible to a lot of people. On top of that, Yakuza 0 is excellent both as a stand-alone title and a culmination/representation of the series.

Even though deep down I'd be against the idea on a personal level, I think generally recommending 0 as an entry point is honestly the most pragmatic, "2017" choice I could make.

You sound a lot like me in this regard. And the importance of certain games needing to sell for a franchise's health is not lost on me. I'll go ahead and bite on 0.

orient

Neo Member
I loved Yakuza and Yakuza 2 on PS2 but I'm almost a generation behind now. The only PS3 Yakuza game I've played is Y3, which is solid but after 25 hours I ran out of patience for the combat and just watched the last 2 chapters on YouTube. Now I'm free to move onto Y4, but there are so many of these games now that I feel like I'm never going to catch up and get through them...but I also don't want to miss the story.

After 7+ Kazuma games, all with very similar gameplay, I wouldn't mind a fresh take on the series.

I agree with what you are saying but there is also another point that I want to add, and that's the fact that Kiwami (Yakuza 1 Remake) is getting released in west as well. From what I've heard and seen that game (in parts) legitimately feels like a sequel to Yakuza 0. And it's coming out around 6 months after Yakuza 0.

So, I think with the announcement of Yakuza Kiwami, right now Yakuza 0 is truly the best entry point.

After 7+ Kazuma games, all with very similar gameplay, I wouldn't mind a fresh take on the series.

Did you read the gameplay segment that we had in the second post? Especially the part that explains what is different about Yakuza 0. This game has a very refreshing gameplay compared to earlier titles, more so if you haven't played any entry after PS2 games. I think you will be legitimately surprised with Y0 gameplay in a very good way.

orient

Neo Member
Did you read the gameplay segment that we had in the second post? Especially the part that explains what is different about Yakuza 0. This game has a very refreshing gameplay compared to earlier titles, more so if you haven't played any entry after PS2 games. I think you will be legitimately surprised with Y0 gameplay in a very good way.

I played Y3 and the main addition was the chase sequences which were...not very good. They made up for it with the hilarious cutscenes where you take pictures of weird stuff and learn moves from it, though.

I know each game makes refinements to the combat, but switching between 3 styles in Y0 doesn't sound like a ground-breaking change and doesn't really sell me. I'm in it for the story, and I'm definitely going to buy the game anyway, but I still think a fresh start is needed for the series.

I played Y3 and the main addition was the chase sequences which were...not very good. They made up for it with the hilarious cutscenes where you take pictures of weird stuff and learn moves from it, though.

I know each game makes refinements to the combat, but switching between 3 styles in Y0 doesn't sound like a ground-breaking change and doesn't really sell me. I'm in it for the story, and I'm definitely going to buy the game anyway, but I still think a fresh start is needed for the series.
They added a lot of stuff with Y4 and Y5 though. They had completely new characters each with their own fighting style. And in Y5 you even had a completely different gameplay with Haruka which I felt really shook things up in a nice way. Not only that but they added more unique side gameplays in Y5 in form of another drama stories. Kiryu had Taxi Driving/racing, Saejima had hunting (fps style, making traps, getting better equipments, etc) and Shinada had an advanced batting/baseball kinda gameplay. So, while the core part has been refined they've also added a lot of new stuff to change things up.

But coming back to Y0, have you played the Japanese demo for that title? I did Y0 demo after Y5 and I was still blown away by how good and fresh the combat felt. I had already gotten a taste of style based combat with Ishin but I really liked the changes in Y0.

It's good that you are giving this a go. I still think you'll be surprised by how good and varied the gameplay feels in this one.

P.S: I think we'll get that fresh start with the next main title that comes after Y6.

IrishNinja

To those in the US who still haven't pre-ordered Yakuza 0, Gamestop's offering a poster on top of the Business Edition for pre-orders. Let it be known however that it's still $10 more than ordering from Amazon at the moment.

aw man what
this sucks! can i like preorder it there too and then cancel or something, haha damn why isnt amazon getting posters

P.S: I think we'll get that fresh start with the next main title that comes after Y6.

yeah, i was bummed it's just kazzy's outing again but it literally looks like a sendoff, no? i'm thinking we go back to multiple characters next time, though i'm still betting on Kiwami 2 as the new title for 2017!

yeah, i was bummed it's just kazzy's outing again but it literally looks like a sendoff, no? i'm thinking we go back to multiple characters next time, though i'm still betting on Kiwami 2 as the new title for 2017!
Oh yeah, it really feels like that. The premise, the trailers, even the title (song of life) they all point to Y6 being the last mainline Kiryu game. I say mainline cause I definitely expect to see him in future spin-off titles, but I think it's safe to say that Y7/Yakuza Reboot will move on to a new character. This might be an unpopular opinion but I'm actually glad that they'll move away from Kiryu. Don't get me wroing I love the guy, but 6 mainline games is more than enough for him. Even before Yakuza 6 they had many other opportunities to move away from Kiryu and imo they should've done so after Y4. They introduced 3 new protags and they should've just continued with one of them *cough* Akiyama *cough* instead of having Kiryu come back and take the center stage again.

And about Kiwami 2, as you know no one would be happier than me to see it. So I really hope that's the one that we are getting next. I wouldn't even mind if it was based on Y0's engine instead of the one in Y6.

I submitted a post on YakuzaFan.com regarding, what I consider to be, an underappreciated quirk of this fantastic series. Check it out!

The Passage of Time
Oh man, you are the one behind YakuzaFan.com? I gotta say during the pre-localization Yakuza 5 era I visited your site a lot in hope of hearing any localization news. Amazing site you got there. Mad respect.

Edit: Oh, I just read the post and it seems like you're not the one behind it. Though you are a backer for that site, so still huge props.

This thread was recommended to me by Son of Sparda. I just read through it and I am ready. It is time to join Yakuza-Gaf! I'll be getting Yakuza 0 in January.

Menitta

This thread was recommended to me by Son of Sparda. I just read through it and I am ready. It is time to join Yakuza-Gaf! I'll be getting Yakuza 0 in January.

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_3x10vm4f9jc4kg4g8kgkgo08o_640.gif

Quick question since I want to dive into this series.

Since it seems to be quite an eccentric game and I can't seem to get a firm grasp on it, how much of the time in this game is actually spent brawling since I'm kind of coming for the 3D Streets Of Rage look of it and I'm not really a big story and/or RPG guy?

Curious to see what the ratio of brawler to "other stuff" is if that makes sense...

So..

Y0 (PS4)
Ykiwami (PS4)
Y2 (PS2)
Y3 (PS3)
Y4 (PS3)
Y5 (PS3)
Y6 (PS4)

Is this the right order?
Yep. That is the right order. We are hoping that they announce Kiwami 2 next so we can completely move away from PS2 entries.

Since it seems to be quite an eccentric game and I can't seem to get a firm grasp on it, how much of the time in this game is actually spent brawling since I'm kind of coming for the 3D Streets Of Rage look of it and I'm not really a big story and/or RPG guy?

Curious to see what the ratio of brawler to "other stuff" is if that makes sense...

I can't give you a ratio since it's really hard to measure these stuff but you get into a lot of fights. Not only within story but even outside of it, there is always some punk on the next corner eagerly waiting to get his ass kicked :) Also, there is a Colosseum that you can fight in and get into fighting tournaments through that. Fighting is the core of the gameplay in Yakuza series so you can expect to take part in tons of them.

And there is something else that I just remembered about the series that we completely forgot to mention in the OP (shame on us). Challenges! After you beat the game, you unlock a challenge mode in the main menu that let's you take part in some really tough challenges both combat related and non-combat. I absolutely love these stuff and they are the first thing that I do after finishing the game.

I liken it to SOR as well (especially SOR2, one of my all time favourites of the genre!). There is plenty of fighting in each chapter (bar a few in Yakuza 3 that took a slower more story driven approach).

The "other" stuff like side missions almost always involve fighting - in fact its one thing I find comical in the series since no matter the side story you are doing, chances are you'll get into a fight at some point whether it be standing in line for Dragon Quest 3 or doing some exercise at Rizap!
You can avoid all the side stuff though if you just want to focus on the fighting and main story, keep in mind though that story cut scenes can get a little long at times - its the only game I can think of that rivals Metal Gear in terms of length.

Ratio in terms of fighting and cutscenes is probably around 50:50 I guess? There is plenty of fighting in most chapters (along with boss fights) but the cut scenes can be pretty lengthy as well. Plus as mentioned above certain side stuff (such as the fighting arena) is all about fighting, but that depends on how much of the extra stuff you want to do in the series.

I would personally go with release order to experience how the series grew and improved and the progression of story through games is just more natural

I liken it to SOR as well (especially SOR2, one of my all time favourites of the genre!). There is plenty of fighting in each chapter (bar a few in Yakuza 3 that took a slower more story driven approach).

The "other" stuff like side missions almost always involve fighting - in fact its one thing I find comical in the series since no matter the side story you are doing, chances are you'll get into a fight at some point whether it be standing in line for Dragon Quest 3 or doing some exercise at Rizap!
You can avoid all the side stuff though if you just want to focus on the fighting and main story, keep in mind though that story cut scenes can get a little long at times - its the only game I can think of that rivals Metal Gear in terms of length.

Ratio in terms of fighting and cutscenes is probably around 50:50 I guess? There is plenty of fighting in most chapters (along with boss fights) but the cut scenes can be pretty lengthy as well. Plus as mentioned above certain side stuff (such as the fighting arena) is all about fighting, but that depends on how much of the extra stuff you want to do in the series.

Sold by the fact that you ALWAYS end up beating the shit out of someone no matter what. SOR2...my man!

Taelus

So has anyone imported Y6? I assumed it would get an import OT like Persona 5. Maybe the series is even more niche than I thought.

So has anyone imported Y6? I assumed it would get an import OT like Persona 5. Maybe the series is even more niche than I thought.

All discussion on 6 is in the community thread (check out the last page or so):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1043422

My copy only just arrived yesterday so I've not had a chance to start it yet to see how it compares to the rest of the series. I loved the demo though, so I'm sure I'll love this.

BaneDrain

Can anyone recommend me an FAQ, video, or general/advanced tips on combat in the series?

I started with Yakuza 3 awhile back and I believe I was about halfway through the game, but I consistently struggle with the boss fights.

I had access to buying weapons and defense items but it didn't seem to benefit me much in certain fights. Is there a series of side-quests I may have missed that would give me access to better moves or increased attributes? It's been about a year since I played it but I'd love to get more into the series.

IrishNinja

Can anyone recommend me an FAQ, video, or general/advanced tips on combat in the series?

I started with Yakuza 3 awhile back and I believe I was about halfway through the game, but I consistently struggle with the boss fights.

I had access to buying weapons and defense items but it didn't seem to benefit me much in certain fights. Is there a series of side-quests I may have missed that would give me access to better moves or increased attributes? It's been about a year since I played it but I'd love to get more into the series.

hmm...any chapter in particular? Kazzy fights similar in 1-3 but there's new moves & variations there as well...armor helps, i grab lots of streetside weapons but only use ones on me in boss fights, for the most part. i don't consider myself very good with combat most times cause ill see videos where dudes level other things than stats & use more powerful combos than i tend to.

also if you're talking 4 & 5 there's so many characters it's hard to say!

Just like Irish asked, is there any particular fight that you are struggling with? Also, are you investing enough into your health/fighting abilities with your soul points? I don't really remember much about Yakuza 3 atm, but I think it had some sort of Komaki training that could help you learn new moves to use in fights, so maybe try that one out.

Generally you could stock up on health items, and bring armors and weapons to make the fights easier. Though, I've never found the combat in Yakuza series to be particularly hard (beside one of the boss fights in Y5, which was just unfair) so maybe you are under leveled or haven't used all of your soul points?

At any rate, I think if you tried all of that and still found the combat to be too hard then maybe you can switch to easier difficulties. After all, the main point is having fun with the game and there is a reason that devs put these difficulty settings in their games. And contrary to what many "core" gamers may think, there is nothing wrong with playing a game on an easier difficulty setting.

IrishNinja

...so what's everyone's plan on getting one of those gamestop posters? im thinking ill just call up a few local shops in early january and see if they have em, maybe try to put a few bucks down & grab one or something!

...so what's everyone's plan on getting one of those gamestop posters? im thinking ill just call up a few local shops in early january and see if they have em, maybe try to put a few bucks down & grab one or something!
Hopefully we can at least find a wallpaper version of it online :(

IrishNinja

Hopefully we can at least find a wallpaper version of it online :(

yeah, i'm bummed my buddy doesn't work there anymore, he'd really come in handy here!
ive got a $5 coupon that expires by the year's end so im thinking ill go pick up something used & see if i can make friends at my nearby shop, haha..haven't really been in there much since my girl got amazon prime!

yeah, i'm bummed my buddy doesn't work there anymore, he'd really come in handy here!
ive got a $5 coupon that expires by the year's end so im thinking ill go pick up something used & see if i can make friends at my nearby shop, haha..haven't really been in there much since my girl got amazon prime!
That's a smart strategy lol

Rckstar

Took the advice from the op and got Yakuza 4 as my first game in the series. Having lots of fun.
Just did the Deathmatch... i like the drama!

Took the advice from the op and got Yakuza 4 as my first game in the series. Having lots of fun.
Just did the Deathmatch... i like the drama!
Yakuza 4 is my absolute favorite from the localized games*. It starts by my current fav protag of the series Shun Akiyama, so that's a huge plus right there!

Anyway, It's always great to see someone get into the series. Hope you enjoy it even more :)

That'll probably change when Yakuza 0 drops next month!

Top Bottom