• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 7 runs at 900p 60fps on Series S? Is this true or BS?

Armorian

Banned
Not being able to fill the CU’s fast enough could be one. I’m not saying PS5 is more powerful. I’m saying it might be more powerful. You need to keep an open mind since we don’t know how the differences will play out.

Earlier you said that PS5 version could be running this game with 2x the framerate of XSX version... Even if by some miracle PS5 is faster for games it's not 100% faster.

Cato

Banned
How is 4k/30fps on XSX and PS5 is 4k/60? That's strange to me.

If I were to guess it is simply resource allocation. And has nothing to do with hw capabilities.

You allocate the most resources for the target where the most paying customers are.
Maybe these games do not sell as well on xbox as they do on ps and that is why?

Here's why;
1. The PS5 would need to have a GPU much stronger than the 2080 TI which can only average 50 FPS at 4k.
What are the odds the PS5 runs max settings? Consoles seldom run max settings for a reason. The preset right below doesn't look that much worse but increases perform by like 30% at times.

Not being able to fill the CU’s fast enough could be one. I’m not saying PS5 is more powerful. I’m saying it might be more powerful. You need to keep an open mind since we don’t know how the differences will play out.
You don't seriously think one console can run at the same frame rate as the other but at 2.25x the number of pixels. No amount of customization will do that.

Last edited:

pixelation

From reports I've read... yes it is 900p (on Series S), I would never buy one @ this point if I'm interested in getting the real next gen experience (900p for a cross gen game?, freakin' really?). From what I've seen so far the Series S is the poor man's version of what a real next gen console really is.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
All this talk about PS5 which is an unknown and XSX/XSS has anyone ask what it is on PS4/PS4Pro?
Cuz now I'm curious..
Edit, it's suggested it'll be PS4/900p30fps & PS4Pro/1080p30fps based on previous installments
Don't make sense to me..😕

Last edited:
From reports I've read... yes it is 900p (on Series S), I would never buy one @ this point if I'm interested in getting the real next gen experience (900p for a cross gen game?, freakin' really?). From what I've seen so far the Series S is the poor man's version of what a real next gen console really is.
Don't run it at 60fps. Run it at the 1440p/30fps on your 1080P tv... Tada... problem solved.

What are the odds the PS5 runs max settings? Consoles seldom run max settings for a reason. The preset right below doesn't look that much worse but increases perform by like 30% at times.

It's difficult to speculate, but it's equally hard to justify why Sega would go out of their way to force 4k/60fps on the PS5 alone, when it would ultimately mean catching heat over not having the same options available on the competition. This is compounded when you remember Microsoft is paying for the XsX version to be prioritized.

The Dragon Engine is horribly optimized for a reason, Sega just get lazy with it and see no reason to change. It's the exact same as Kiwami 2.

In fact, Kiwami 2 was 1080p/30fps on both PS4Pro and Xbox One X, despite the latter having much bigger GPU headroom. Sega just didn't bother using it and stuck with parity. Expect the same here.

Last edited by a moderator:

pixelation

Don't run it at 60fps. Run it at the 1440p/30fps on your 1080P tv... Tada... problem solved.
That doesn't change the fact that a "next gen" console can't run a cross gen game @ 1080p/60 fps, that does not bode well for when actual next gen games start arriving... the Series S could really struggle to run them, or the sacrifices that you'll need to make to run them will be pretty major.

Aladin

It's difficult to speculate, but it's equally hard to justify why Sega would go out of their way to force 4k/60fps on the PS5 alone, when it would ultimately mean catching heat over not having the same options available on the competition. This is compounded when you remember Microsoft is paying for the XsX version to be prioritized.

The Dragon Engine is horribly optimized for a reason, Sega just get lazy with it and see no reason to change. It's the exact same as Kiwami 2.

In fact, Kiwami 2 was 1080p/30fps on both PS4Pro and Xbox One X, despite the latter having much bigger GPU headroom. Sega just didn't bother using it and stuck with parity. Expect the same here.
Dude, if Xsex version was brought down for parity with ps5, shouldn't Series S version do 1080p 60fps comfortably ?
After all this is what MS promised, half the resolution.

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
XSX is 1440P @ 60fps
PS5 might be 4K @ 60fps (TBC)
felHMKu.jpg
tenor.gif

That doesn't change the fact that a "next gen" console can't run a cross gen game @ 1080p/60 fps, that does not bode well for when actual next gen games start arriving... the Series S could really struggle to run them, or the sacrifices that you'll need to make to run them will be pretty major.
Doom, Doom, Doom...

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Dragon Engine is a hog, check out what it does on PC too

bZMExVa.jpg

It's 1440p/30fps on Series S though, and since it's a turn based JRPG I'd say 30fps is good enough.

Series X and PS5 will be 1440p/60, 4k/30 and that's more up for debate.
What the fuck

SilentUser

That's bad, but pretty sure this is Sega's fault. The new Yakuza isn't exactly a looker and the engine behind it most certanly is mediocre.

Aidah

It runs at 1440p/60 on Series X, with some slight drops (or 1080p/60 with no drops). 900p/60 on Series S sounds even more than you'd expect, it's got a garbage tier GPU and memory, in comparison.

For the switch, it's acceptable, we know its limitations ;) But never heard of that game.
Why are the limits on an S | X or PS5 held to a higher standard than Switch though? It’s not Xbox or PlayStations fault that a 3rd party dev wasn’t able to optimise for their hardware(in a way it could be but that’s a different story).

truth411

I suspect there's going to be a long list of sub 1080p S games, especially if there's a 60fps mode. It's a 4TF machine, there's a limit to what it can do.
4Tflops is more than enough for 1080p.
4 tflops of Rdna2 is much stronger than 4.2 tflops of GCN of the PS4 PRO.

Something is off.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Resolution seems a bit low, so i wouldn’t blindly trust this.
However: better 900/60 than 1440/30

truth411

So what bottlenecks? Don't see any in XSX design, it's like PS5 but faster (aside from SSD of course).

Secret sauce bullshit all over again
If referring to the GPU, Technically the PS5 is faster, its GPU is clocked at 2.23Ghz.
The XSX is more powerful but its not "Faster"

If referring to the cpu the extra 100mhz is meaningless.
If the PS5 CPU L3 cache is unified and not split like in XSX, the PS5 CPU would out perform the XSX cpu. The point is clock speed is not an absolute indicator of performance.

Bankai

Is this (900p) is a big deal to you, then you just aren't Xbox Series S material.

The console is targeted towards the consumer who doesn't care about resolution, but just wants the most bang for buck.

Mr.ODST

What about fill rate? What about bottlenecks? What about streaming relieving the GPU? What about having more unified memory? What about the decompression having its own dedicated hardware. What about cache scrubbers? What about the fact everything runs faster due to the high clocks?

You can’t just look at a number and go, well this must be better because it’s higher. That’s not how tech works.

You can’t also just look at YouTube setting and see “4K 60” and bang on about it being 4K 60 without testing the actual software 😂 they even pixel counted 1440p in that trailer released.

Sony fanboys 😂😂

bitbydeath

You can’t also just look at YouTube setting and see “4K 60” and bang on about it being 4K 60 without testing the actual software 😂 they even pixel counted 1440p in that trailer released.

Sony fanboys 😂😂

1. It’s not my tweet.
2. It mentions XSX being 1440P within it. PS5’s resolution is currently unknown.

Mr.ODST

That was about which console is more powerful. We’ll find out soon enough.

weve not seen much of the PS5 so it’s hard to judge in any capacity, we’ve seen games but the general features of the console have not even been shown yet like UI etc.

Guess I could say the same about the X and the PS5 running it sub-4k vs other cross gen games too. Or you could not ignore the many posts on here that say the engine is crappy.

Last edited:
At ultra settings...

In fact, the PC version has two 4k settings (High and Ultra) but as the review, from which the benchmark is taken, notes;

The only way to get Yakuza Kiwami 2 to run at 60+ FPS here is to run the game with a lower resolution scale, delivering a sub-4K image

A (still) £1100 GPU cannot hit, nevermind lock, 60fps on Dragon Engine at 4k.

Another review actually tried benchmarks at High settings

U691IOw.png

It's actually not so different from Ultra, despite most of the settings like DOF and shadow quality being lowered. The 2080 TI still manages only 51 average FPS at 4k, which should be further evidence of how badly optimised the engine is. The RX Vega 64 never set the world alight, but it's a 12.6tflops GPU and should not be throttled that hard (sub-30fps average at 4k) on a game like this.

I don't see how anyone can look at these figures and come away believing the PS5 will run this game at 4k/60fps. It will almost certainly have parity with XsX and I don't believe for a second it would have been designed any other way, even if it could do more.

Parity will be the norm this gen in most cases simply because it's less headache.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shmunter

Plenty of open world games have the exterior and interior in memory.

Point being, if both in memory at the same time then there is less memory available to each. Either textures, models, variety, etc need to be reduced. Being able to swap out the memory almost instantly needs no such compromise.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Wild that they are able to push double the framerate at 4k out of a weaker console.

Why is it weaker, what metric do you assume makes it weaker ?

You realise most marketing simpler numbers are just that, PR.

Cache speeds, cache efficiency, cache bandwidth which is the speed the data goes from the firstL2 Cache to to shader is all key here. TF is just a theoretical number if ALL THE SHADERS have data at a point in time and dont waste any clock cycles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom